• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever purchased anything from the SBFP store? I'm just curious about timeliness and packaging.

I own the SNES hoodie and have ordered the poster and new hoodie. I can't speak for non-clothing, but the first hoodie arrived fairly quickly and in good condition.

croten

I get that. I just don't think yall realize that like....no one is that mindful of old spoilers anywhere else, ever. So if you haven't been around Gaf for a long time, it probablyyyy wouldn't occur to you to spoiler something old.

I mean I got spoiled about
Ace's death
in One Piece when I was literally just a few chapters away from that moment and it made me butthurt so I know that feel but I was spoiled by a friend who knew I was reading through it for the first time, so that seems different to me than expecting random people on a forum to tiptoe around spoilers from anything in the last...5 years.

I don't expect that on Gaf, heck I've only been here for a few months and even then I stick here mostly, I expect that everywhere. I don't want to be spoiled on anything. Ever. I assume most people don't either.

All right, so which one of you guys have Smash for Wii U and would like to play one of these days? I'm a bit too late to fight against Pat (and smash his Zelda with my Sheik), but I'd still like to join the occasional friender smash fest.

There's a doc floating around somewhere and you can check profiles (like mine) that have their NNID listed. There's no need for an exchange like that of Friendercodes, it's more similar to PSN/XBL where they just have to confirm after you've sent the request

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There's a doc floating around somewhere and you can check profiles (like mine) that have their NNID listed. There's no need for an exchange like that of Friendercodes, it's more similar to PSN/XBL where they just have to confirm after you've sent the request

Thank God. Seriously. Welcome to the internet age, Nintendo.

I own the SNES hoodie and have ordered the poster and new hoodie. I can't speak for non-clothing, but the first hoodie arrived fairly quickly and in good condition.

It took mine about a week for a poster.

Seems pretty good. Thanks.

Zenfalcia

You know I can understand something like that making the issue more sensitive than it should logically be, that's a pretty big one to be ruined with.

Tbh, it was a knee jerk post about general spoilers. i made it a bigger deal when it should've been even though it wasnt even a major point in your post. Sorry. :/

Considering P4 Ultimax exists even Atlus doesn't give a fuck.

Yeah... But if people dont even play p4u or even know about those they arent spoiled. They also never explicitly say who he is, only in the trailer and game.

demidar

I don't expect that on Gaf, heck I've only been here for a few months and even then I stick here mostly, I expect that everywhere. I don't want to be spoiled on anything. Ever. I assume most people don't either.

I don't think it's reasonable to have everyone else cater to you. Sure, people should be mindful but don't try and stretch that patience.

Edit: I should go to bed.

Oberon

Banned
You mean their Holiday Buying Guide 2014: Ten Great Games You May Have Missed in 2013?

They should give it up at this point, just post a list on facebook from now on in future, saves time and can potentially happen within a reasonable time span.

I think they were hoping we would forget about it

I was just about to conglaturate you on that spoiler not actually being about incest and then you edited it to add incest.

You really shouldn't encourage me, you should be saying things like "nobody thinks it's funny anymore"or "now you're tryie to hard"

Beloved

You're missing my point, of course you dont want to be spoiled, but you shouldn't get angry at people who accidentally spoil something old for you.

If you were walking by a group of people discussing a game you wanted to play that's been out for 3 years and you overheard a spoiler, are you going to yell at them about it? No, because they had every right to discuss that game in as much detail as they wanted.

If someone, on the other hand, knows full well you are going to play that game soon and then they tell you something important, then you have the right to be mad.

I don't think it's reasonable to have everyone else cater to you. Sure, people should be mindful but don't try and stretch that patience.

Pretty much this.

Zenfalcia

Yeah, you can think of Kabukichou as an open world that continues to progress off panel while Gintama goes on, minor characters might get referenced later or be involved in new things or something etc. etc. Unless people are straight up dead, at some point they'll be back for some reason.

Which makes the Gintama world feel way more alive.

The world is set up so well that it's not impossible for anything to happen, since it can be "easily" justified. Except when a wooden sword can break a bridge in half. The running jokes arent too out of taste either. Although with english translation it's hard to get the speech jokes of -aru or word play.. i'm butt hurt over the wordplay on a personal level.

The art is also something worth mentioning. It's not the cutesy art of norm as of late even though it's a fairly old manga. It's also not a major emphasis of the manga.

I love the little extra panels with the author and really shows off his personality.

Edit: wow. There's a lot of tbf fans on that thread.. why dont they post more in here... We probably scare them off ;_;

I don't think that something being on the Podcast, or there being an LP of something, automatically means spoilers no longer apply.

A lot of people in here watch every single piece of SBF related materials as soon as it's released. And that's great. But some others purposefully avoid certain content because of spoilers. I don't think they should be penalized for doing so.

What's the game and spoiler in question people are talking about here?

croten

You're missing my point, of course you dont want to be spoiled, but you shouldn't get angry at people who accidentally spoil something old for you.

If you were walking by a group of people discussing a game you wanted to play that's been out for 3 years and you overheard a spoiler, are you going to yell at them about it? No, because they had every right to discuss that game in as much detail as they wanted.

If someone, on the other hand, knows full well you are going to play that game soon and then they tell you something important, then you have the right to be mad.

I guess it's a personal thing then because when I was much younger I was horrible with spoilers and I was always berated for it, so now I try to refrain from spoilers as much as possible and I would only spoil something if the person I am talking to has explicitly said they are okay with me saying so

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It was Dark Souls. Which is admittedly pretty innocuous and aged as far as spoilers are concerned. I just think it's good to be mindful of these things generally.

I was spoiled on The Walking Dead Season 2 a while back by a few folks.

croten

It was Dark Souls. Which is admittedly pretty innocuous and aged as far as spoilers are concerned. I just think it's good to be mindful of these things generally.

Yeah people were just posting pictures of spoilers then, pretty bad.

No the original one that started the discussion was Zen getting spoiled on Gwyn from DS1. We didn't start talking about the podcast until later and even then it was just for examples

I guess that kinda is a spoiler, but the
serpent guy
already hinted that he was the
final boss.

Zenfalcia

Yeah people were just posting pictures of spoilers then, pretty bad.

It got pretty bad with all the kenny discussion.

No the original one that started the discussion was Zen getting spoiled on Gwyn from DS1. We didn't start talking about the podcast until later and even then it was just for examples

The final boss is not a huge spoiler is it? I feel like it is, since usually it's set up as a reveal that surprises you or answers your doubts. I made it a bigger deal than it should've been honestly.

I believe its the culprit of P4?

Culprit of P4 is kind of absurd to get mad about now, considering Ultimax is a god damn fighting game and the Culprit is a fighter and it's a canon sequel.

What was the Dark Souls spoiler? Because that game came out like, 3 years ago, had several ports, and isn't a story focused game. As far as I'm concerned that game is borderline unspoilable anyway. As for Walking Dead, that's trickier, especially if it's in this topic because we did do a full LP, so assuming you watch the show it's kind of assumed.

I remember a discussion on Giantbomb about spoilers, Jeff put forth that the statute is like...2 months. If you don't care enough about the game to get to it in 2 months, then you shouldn't care enough to be mad about spoilers. I agree with the sentiment, but certainly not the timeframe. I say maybe...a year. Tops. It helps that I used to be spoiler crazy but just gradually stopped caring once I realized it was very rare that it affected my enjoyment, unless it was some kind of twist ending or something. I'm playing Baldurs Gate 1 right now and I know about the whole premise/secret with your main character from ages ago, but that games fucking 15 years old so how can it bother me?

Xiraiya

I was posting about Jeff's disdain over Demon Souls in GBCast and I was talking about people not really enjoying games in ways I kind of wished they did and at the end of my post I was talking about Gwyn not really disappointing me as a final boss, and it ended up being a spoiler for someone.

That's how the whole discussion triggered anyway.

Here

Culprit of P4 is kind of absurd to get mad about now, considering Ultimax is a god damn fighting game and the Culprit is a fighter and it's a canon sequel.

What was the Dark Souls spoiler? Because that game came out like, 3 years ago, had several ports, and isn't a story focused game. As far as I'm concerned that game is borderline unspoilable anyway. As for Walking Dead, that's trickier, especially if it's in this topic because we did do a full LP, so assuming you watch the show it's kind of assumed.

I remember a discussion on Giantbomb about spoilers, Jeff put forth that the statute is like...2 months. If you don't care enough about the game to get to it in 2 months, then you shouldn't care enough to be mad about spoilers. I agree with the sentiment, but certainly not the timeframe. I say maybe...a year. Tops. It helps that I used to be spoiler crazy but just gradually stopped caring once I realized it was very rare that it affected my enjoyment, unless it was some kind of twist ending or something. I'm playing Baldurs Gate 1 right now and I know about the whole premise/secret with your main character from ages ago, but that games fucking 15 years old so how can it bother me?

Two months is bullshit because I haven't played the Walking Dead season 2 and I want to wait for the full disc version. Why does me being frugal invalidate any want to not be spoiled?

croten

Some people avoid some of your LPs because of that. And I think 2 months is really short, not all of us have the means to get a game within 2 months.

Zenfalcia

Sick not shilling post on the LP thread, pat.

I was posting about Jeff's disdain over Demon Souls in GBCast and I was talking about people not really enjoying games in ways I kind of wished they did and at the end of my post I was talking about Gwyn not really disappointing me as a final boss, and it ended up being a spoiler for someone.

That's how the whole discussion triggered anyway.

Well, we can talk about it now. It's hard for everyone to have the same mentality playing a game, so it's easy for everyone to have different experiences with enjoying a game. For an extreme absurd example: an orphan will have a different connection about a game where the mc is a kid with a family than a kid with a family playing that same game.

Two months is bullshit because I haven't played the Walking Dead season 2 and I want to wait for the full disc version. Why does me being frugal invalidate any want to not be spoiled?

Some people avoid some of your LPs because of that. And I think 2 months is really short, not all of us have the means to get a game within 2 months.

Read my post again and try and see where you went wrong.

Beloved

You do realize Pat also disagreed with 2 months.

A year however, seems reasonable and respectful

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The Dark Souls spoiler was about Gwyn being a final boss or something. Again, it threads the line of what is actually a spoiler, and I don't think that specific spoiler is really the center of the discussion.

As for The Walking Dead Season Two, I do get that. I fully expect there to be discussion of the game, and I also recognize the risks involved in me not playing it right away and participating in a discussion in this thread. I just think that it calls for spoiler tags. It's a brand new ass game and I think people should try their best to be considerate for other people.

2 months from Jeff is absolutely preposterous. To reiterate from before, people have lives and there are a fuckton of games out there. I tend to be more liberal with my use of spoiler tags, and extend it over a few years. Specific twists, reveals, bosses, I won't discuss at all without spoiler tags because you never know who is reading the conversation. Everyone has different standards, but I will always err on the side of caution if I am able to.

The Dark Souls spoiler was about Gwyn being a final boss or something. Again, it threads the line of what is actually a spoiler, and I don't think that specific spoiler is really the center of the discussion.

As for The Walking Dead Season Two, I do get that. I fully expect there to be discussion of the game, and I also recognize the risks involved in me not playing it right away and participating in a discussion in this thread. I just think that it calls for spoiler tags. It's a brand new ass game and I think people should try their best to be considerate for other people.

2 months from Jeff is absolutely preposterous. To reiterate from before, people have lives and there are a fuckton of games out there. I tend to be more liberal with my use of spoiler tags, and extend it over a few years. Specific twists, reveals, bosses, I won't discuss at all without spoiler tags because you never know who is reading the conversation. Everyone has different standards, but I will always err on the side of caution if I am able to.

Agreed. That being said, I understand where Jeffs coming from. He went straight from being a kid in an age of simple, easy/quick to beat games in which he'd sell, steal, pirate, whatever, to get his hands on everything and back then you pretty much COULD play everything. Then he went into the games business in like...christ, the mid 90s? So for him, the 2 month period absolutely makes sense in that context, in which his entire life that's been the case, but it's not the case for everybody else. I can certainly understand Jeffs hunger and need for games in his youth, but I used to be spoiler crazy, Woolie too, god, he's still really bad, so I can understand both sides a little more closely. I don't think you should ever go out of your way to spoil shit and observe common courtesy, but there's a point where non-plot critical things or general concepts get to be discussed openly and I think that points about a year in.

All right, so which one of you guys have Smash for Wii U and would like to play one of these days? I'm a bit too late to fight against Pat (and smash his Zelda with my Sheik), but I'd still like to join the occasional friender smash fest.

PM me. Its in my username.

Read my post again and try and see where you went wrong.

I know a year works for you, but I also felt bad that we had that FF7 argument and we spoiled some key things about Cloud and the game in general.

So spoilers for spoilers sake is the rule I adhere to. I spoiler tag anything that can be spoiled in a thing.

croten

I know a year works for you, but I also felt bad that we had that FF7 argument and we spoiled some key things about Cloud and the game in general.

So spoilers for spoilers sake is the rule I adhere to. I spoiler tag anything that can be spoiled in a thing.

I just find it can be really simple to avoid spoilers and it can really ruin someones experience. I will always try to avoid spoilers.

Spoilers are different for everyone. Since I don't finish a grand majority of the games that I start, spoilers do not matter to me. I try not to spoil it for everyone else, but still recognize that spoilers are going to be spoilers, and they are everywhere.

Guys, be honest with me. How bad is the Evil Within LP? I'm seeing a lot of, well, -rage-, over that dog boss fight. Is it just unwatchable or what? I'm seein DSP comparisons here.
LTTP, it's super solid. The game is confusing me as much as it is you in those moments. Playthrough is super fun.

Another thing to consider is that with things like PS Classics and the VC is that many people are going to play old games for the first time. How many actual kids have opened up PS3s and Wiis for Christmas? Do we ignore spoilers because the game is old or do we let them experience it as pure as possible?

I just find it can be really simple to avoid spoilers and it can really ruin someones experience. I will always try to avoid spoilers.

I extend the courtesy to those who haven't played a thing on GAF.

I'm not as courteous in person.

If something is floated or discussed in person, expect some spoilers.

The problem is there's no consensus for shit like that. Some people would scream at you that the fact that (MGS2)
Raiden
is even in the game is the biggest spoiler in there. We had people flipping their shit for having a topic about Rammby or whatever his name is being in Tropical Freeze. As for THAT stuff, if it's in a trailer/official thing put out by the company, I feel that shit has to be fair game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Agreed. That being said, I understand where Jeffs coming from. He went straight from being a kid in an age of simple, easy/quick to beat games in which he'd sell, steal, pirate, whatever, to get his hands on everything and back then you pretty much COULD play everything. Then he went into the games business in like...christ, the mid 90s? So for him, the 2 month period absolutely makes sense in that context, in which his entire life that's been the case, but it's not the case for everybody else. I can certainly understand Jeffs hunger and need for games in his youth, but I used to be spoiler crazy, Woolie too, god, he's still really bad, so I can understand both sides a little more closely. I don't think you should ever go out of your way to spoil shit and observe common courtesy, but there's a point where non-plot critical things or general concepts get to be discussed openly and I think that points about a year in.

He practically comes from a different world. Games are his business and livelihood, not just his mainstay hobby (which I guess is the same for you, though not immediately). Not trying to necessarily say that he has all the time in the world to play games, but he has more time than the rest of us. And the resources to do so. Some people have an extremely limited budget, as well.

I think that's also spawned from the front-loaded mentality that gamers and the game industry has for sales/purchasing. We've seen that trend mellow out recently, with long tail sales from word of mouth or cult hits, but we still are very much operating in an industry where the early bird isn't really early at all. The vast majority of sales for most games will always be in the first week.

I generally go for a few years with spoilers. It's a gray area (I keep repeating that, but it's true) depending on the type of game and the plotlines involved. I'm gunshy because I've had a lot of shit spoiled for me over the years, and I don't like the idea of me doing the same to anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom