• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

Meanwhile I'm thinking about getting Ultimate Ninja storm, I don't really want to get into any fighting series that you have to invest time in unless I can make a character basically, I enjoy stuff like that more when it's my own thing.

madara_meteor_by_celebrei-d5wgjjk.gif

tumblr_mu0nrnXCAs1se015qo1_500.gif

Go for it, the games aren't super deep, but they're fun in their own right.

Xiraiya

If it wasn't so hackable, I don't think we would have gotten things like Virtural console and the modern console menu. The console essentially paved the way to the recent video game quirks using other people's ideas through homebrew IMO.

I don't know, I think that's something that would have still happened because of emulation on PC and so on, Japan may not even care about PC being their competition (I don't really think it is anyway) but I do think without the Xbox then PC gaming would have evolved a little faster than it has and maybe even a little differently if they were like "Well these console things are pretty popular so let's see if we can incorporate some of these streamlining features"

It's hard to say, I think the biggest change would be the rate of which things happened more than anything.

I don't know, I think that's something that would have still happened because of emulation on PC and so on, Japan may not even care about PC being their competition (I don't really think it is anyway) but I do think without the Xbox then PC gaming would have evolved a little faster than it has and maybe even a little differently if they were like "Well these console things are pretty popular so let's see if we can incorporate some of these streamlining features"

It's hard to say, I think the biggest change would be the rate of which things happened more than anything.

How popular was multiplayer in non-RTS games pre and post-Xbox? I keep hearing Xbox Live was a big deal.

Xiraiya

The thing that's weird about last gen, is that the 360 was just generally better for most of the generation. Like, every aspect was better, sure games like Uncharted could look better, but every multiplat looked and ran the same, but the online and general usability of the 360 was way better. Then, halfway they were pretty equal, but 360 still had better online stuff and the apps and everything were all still there. Then, near the end, PS3 just became the better console and I don't even know exactly when. There were more exclusives, PS+ was fantastic, online shit got way better, they fleshed out their downloadable shit to have a bunch of classic games, as where 360 kept dropping support for previous gen games and their interface got worse as time went on.

It's so weird that it went from one clearly being better in so many ways, then the tables just turning out of nowhere.
That was because the 360 was a wakeup call for Sony Japan to get their shit together, Japan in general has this weird ability where they drag out being stuck about a decade in the past for as long as they can, then they just jump ahead of everyone by like 5 years and end up doing everything better.

How popular was multiplayer in non-RTS games pre and post-Xbox? I keep hearing Xbox Live was a big deal.
Yeah it was, and pretty popular, not AS Popular, but still something was there, but that's what I mean though, this is all microsoft so my thought is services like LIVE would have just been Steam-like PC gaming stuff eventually instead of a console thing.

Holy shit I just caught up on SFV and that trailer is kinda awesome for what it is. Even marketing knows why people love fight games. Also, dat console exclusivity tho. Picking it up for PC, probably.

Oh. Thats still pretty insane.

Though i wouldn't be surprised if next year capcom made Super Street Fighter 5 and then ported it to xbox or some shit

That's almost a certainty. SFV is gonna be on an xbone at some point.

EDIT: *GASP* BUT WHAT IF IT'S NOT THAT WOULD BE SO COOL

joe2187

Banned
BE WARNED THO!

The latest PC products from Capcom have been inconsistent as fuck. Lets hope they get the DMC4 porting team to develop it for the PC since SF4 netcode and DR3 have been poorly optimized

Aw yiss. I modded up Planetscape Torment and it looks rad (read: better) now. Can't wait to dive in after exams end this Wednesday.

So what you're saying boils down to that you didn't grow up with it and had/have no feelings towards it's exclusive library. The PS2 dominated that gen, and the GameCube was an array of ninty staples and niche classics.

So it was the PS3 of its day, is what you're saying.

EDIT: And before anybody's like "What staples"
Ratchet
Sly Cooper
God of War
Other stuff with a first game on the PS2

croten

That's irrelevant, it's not actually exclusive to the PS4, it's playable on a thing a lot of people already have and that's getting ignored in the bomb dropping of it not being on Xbone.

Because it not being on the Xbone is important and it's console exclusive to the PS4.

BE WARNED THO!

The latest PC products from Capcom have been inconsistent as fuck. Lets hope they get the DMC4 porting team to develop it for the PC since SF4 netcode and DR3 have been poorly optimized

I think that it's in the teaser trailer right next to PS4 shows they know that they need to get it right. If PC was an afterthought on this they would have just called it a PS4 game and said it would be PC in a press release or something.

croten

Yeah, it's a big deal, but it's on PC, telling someone it's a PS4 exclusive is bullshit. I don't care about console exclusivity, people want to know if they can play this game, not telling them what it's on is dumb.

It has been brought up numerous times.

It's exclusive to the PS4 and also on PC.

Of course but people who say it's exclusive aren't technically wrong.

That's a fucking stupid way to put that. Why not just say "It's on PS4 and PC"? It's not fucking exclusive, by definition it is not. Why bother calling it that?
Yes, they are too technically wrong. That's exactly how they're wrong.
Then people will think it will be on the Wii U as well!
TT2 was on the Wii U...

Fair enough. It's on PS4 and PC.

Why not just say it's console exclusive? Faster and gets the point across.

It's not, though, it's not an exclusive! Why bother trying to give it the title of exclusive?! It's faster to just say what it's on. Calling it a console exclusive would inevitably make someone question if it's on PC. I've seen this exact thing happen like ten times today on GAF and Facebook. Just say what it's on!

CheeseCurds

Neo Member
Slightly jelly, gotta wait till January 2nd for it to release over here

Having done 5 courses at the moment, so far so good! Only gripes right now are camera controls and no restart option. You can't toggle gyroscopic controls on/off, probably because of those mine cart levels, but I haven't encountered any yet. As for the restarts, you have to exit the course and select it again. Nothing big really, one more button press is all it takes.

It's not, though, it's not an exclusive! Why bother trying to give it the title of exclusive?! It's faster to just say what it's on. Calling it a console exclusive would inevitably make someone question if it's on PC. I've seen this exact thing happen like ten times today on GAF and Facebook. Just say what it's on!

but it's exclusive to a console. ONE NOT TWO I.. Ugh...

i don't think PCs should even count for exclusivity or not.

This console exclusive bullshit is getting to the point of the Minecraft being an Xbone exclusive, because it's the Xbox One Edition of Minecraft. Fuck that shit.

croten

PC isn't a console. If someone asks if it's on PC then tell them it is. But console exclusive means it's on one console.

Alfebit

Banned

It's a console exclusive because it's not on any other console. Console exclusive has always been used to describe it even if it's also on PC.

It's only on one console. The PS4. That is how they aren't wrong.

And it's also on PC. Therefore, by the technical definition, not exclusive. So stop calling it exclusive. "Console Exclusive" just sounds like it's only on consoles, so there is literally no good way to call this exclusive, and it's way less irritating and corporate to just say what it's coming out on instead of saying it's exclusive to something it cannot truthfully be called exclusive to.

croten

And it's also on PC. Therefore, by the technical definition, not exclusive. So stop calling it exclusive. "Console Exclusive" just sounds like it's only on consoles, so there is literally no good way to call this exclusive, and it's way less irritating and corporate to just say what it's coming out on instead of saying it's exclusive to something it cannot truthfully be called exclusive to.

Again, a PC isn't a console. It's not exclusive, it's console exclusive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom