• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfebit

Banned
And it's also on PC. Therefore, by the technical definition, not exclusive. So stop calling it exclusive. "Console Exclusive" just sounds like it's only on consoles, so there is literally no good way to call this exclusive, and it's way less irritating and corporate to just say what it's coming out on instead of saying it's exclusive to something it cannot truthfully be called exclusive to.

Console exclusive to PS4.

PC isn't a console. If someone asks if it's on PC then tell them it is. But console exclusive means it's on one console.

It's a console exclusive because it's not on any other console. Console exclusive has always been used to describe it even if it's also on PC.

I know what it means, I'm saying that it's fucking stupid as shit. Why do I have to wait for someone to specifically ask if it's on PC to tell them when they asked what it's on?! Why not just say the most descriptive thing? Fuck the term console exclusive.

And it's also on PC. Therefore, by the technical definition, not exclusive. So stop calling it exclusive. "Console Exclusive" just sounds like it's only on consoles, so there is literally no good way to call this exclusive, and it's way less irritating and corporate to just say what it's coming out on instead of saying it's exclusive to something it cannot truthfully be called exclusive to.

How about this Its on Sony Console Only & PC

Pc is its own thing. it shouldn't be considered a console.

I'm getting a headache.

demidar

PC isn't a console in common vernacular.

I'm with Aaron on "console exclusivity being a stupid concept" because things like Bayonetta 2 can be said to be "console exclusive" if you're only talking about consoles.

"[game] is only on [console] and PC" is how it should be. It's a little condescending to have to make PC-only users inquire as to its availability on the platform after the fact

Again, a PC isn't a console. It's not exclusive, it's console exclusive

If it were really console exclusive, that would mean there's no PC version. Do you see how that phrase doesn't actually make any sense? "Console exclusive" literally means it's only on consoles. So it's a stupid term to use in the way that people are using it now. The only reason it exists as a term is because there's advertising and (to a certain degree) sales stigma around the word "exclusive."

croten

If it were really console exclusive, that would mean there's no PC version. Do you see how that phrase doesn't actually make any sense? "Console exclusive" literally means it's only on consoles. So it's a stupid term to use in the way that people are using it now. The only reason it exists as a term is because there's advertising and (to a certain degree) sales stigma around the word "exclusive."

No. Console exclusive mean it's exclusive to one console not that it's exclusive to consoles.

I'm with Aaron on "console exclusivity being a stupid concept" because things like Bayonetta 2 can be said to be "console exclusive" if you're only talking about consoles.

"[game] is only on [console] and PC" is how it should be. It's a little condescending to have to make PC-only users inquire as to its availability on the platform after the fact

So it as a phrase leaves out PC owners, huh?
Would you call the phrase...
Exclusive?

I had to run after starting the discussion, but regardless of anyone's personal feelings on Xbox, which I actually share, competition is good. It forces innovation.
It's not, though, it's not an exclusive! Why bother trying to give it the title of exclusive?! It's faster to just say what it's on. Calling it a console exclusive would inevitably make someone question if it's on PC. I've seen this exact thing happen like ten times today on GAF and Facebook. Just say what it's on!
This.

No. Console exclusive mean it's exclusive to one console not that it's exclusive to consoles.

If that were the commonly accepted definition then people wouldn't keep asking if it was on PC.

But seriously cant we just say PS4/PC exclusive?

Why not just say the platforms it is on? It's not an exclusive, why are we trying to force the term exclusive on it? We're playing into Paul's schemes!

mike0dude

I just watched that SF5 trailer, and the way the thing was edited and the overdubbed voice sounded I was half expecting Capcom to try and sell me a car.
close your eyes and you can already see that Toyota logo.

Alfebit

Banned

I'm not saying don't say it's on PC. I'm saying the term Console Exclusive is a correct term. If anyone asks I'm going to say PS4 and PC. Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive.

I just watched that SF5 trailer, and the way the thing was edited and the overdubbed voice sounded I was half expecting Capcom to try and sell me a car.
Are you sure you didn't watch the SFV teaser? It sounds like it.

The thread didn't seem like a car selling thing.

So who wants to watch the dorito awards tonight?

I think it was more of a love letter to the FGC and as someone who only kinda cares about fighting games the trailer didn't do much for me.

All you people arguing about semantics and I'm over here enjoying myself playing Captain Toad.

Fucking chill and play some video games.

Everyone should just avoid video game forums for a week and just focus on a game you want to play, it will make yourself feel better about yourself.

Speaking of Sony.

Frienders, any idea what this is?

9814_54816f8514f408.52193631.jpg

I'm not arguing what exclusive means but console exclusive means it's on one console.

But it's pointless to call it that. It's clumsy as shit and is completely unnecessary. It's not exclusive to a single thing, forcing the term on there with a qualifier serves absolutely no purpose. It literally does nothing but further confuse the point. The term exclusive has completely lost all meaning at this point, it's thrown around as just another buzz word and it's goddamn annoying.

Legitimate question, why not just list the platforms it is available on?

I had to run after starting the discussion, but regardless of anyone's personal feelings on Xbox, which I actually share, competition is good. It forces innovation.
Competition is only good when there is a clear loser, because it forces the losers to approach on what the public wants. Even field leads nowhere.

Check out last gen. A very competitive generation, outside of the Wii, and look what happened. Microsoft sat on an empty lead, and pushed forth some of the most absurdly restrictive paywalls in recent history, and Sony stumbled and fumbled their way to a completely undeserved second place. Yay, competition.

Yeah, filhtly console players
I was an Xbox guy myself. I only got a 360 because all my online wrestling friends had one and that's what they all played online games with so I joined in. PS4 might be the way to go this gen but honestly still waiting on something I want to play so no rush.

Zenfalcia

But it's pointless to call it that. It's clumsy as shit and is completely unnecessary. It's not exclusive to a single thing, forcing the term on there with a qualifier serves absolutely no purpose. It literally does nothing but further confuse the point. The term exclusive has completely lost all meaning at this point, it's thrown around as just another buzz word and it's goddamn annoying.

Marketing. Paul marketing really loves the buzz word exclusive. It makes people want to get the console since it's only on there and don't know anything about pc gaming.

The term didn't exist until the industry invented it. It means whatever they want it to mean.

s-TEMPLE-RUB-large.jpg

I know what you're saying, and you're partially right, but console exclusive as words with meanings that already existed in that order literally means exclusive to consoles and not on the PC. Let's just drop the damn topic, I'm never gonna get my way anyway. It's already a thing and I sure as hell can't stop it.

I was an Xbox guy myself. I only got a 360 because all my online wrestling friends had one and that's what they all played online games with so I joined in. PS4 might be the way to go this gen but honestly still waiting on something I want to play so no rush.
Ps4 honeslty has nothing that I care about. I hope Saturday changes that.

croten

Why not indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom