• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad these new consoles can't get that.
Which is bullshit. Design around limitation, rather than brute force shit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember it as an occasional thing, when there was a ton of bullshit happening onscreen. Like, it could happen, and it did, but it was still super playable.
I wish it was that stable. Game couldn't maintain thirty if it's life depended on it. Plus the atrocious image quality, and I was out.

ultimax

Framerate isn't that big of a deal. 60 is very appreciated, but I'll play a game on any framerate as long as it still plays. Don't give a shit.
I don't really care for specs that much either, but what people get mad about is that 1080p, 60fps should be a standard by now

So I just saw that SF5 topic... I want to get hype, but I need to get used to that art style.
While I feel for MS people, I'm shocked and very happy at it coming to PC.

And on framerate, I'm fine with Zelda not being 60fps, but otherwise I need it stable and 60. The fluidity of 60 is just so good.

Xiraiya

Okay here is my take on it.

I don't care if a console game is locked at 30, or if it isn't 60 100% of the time, I like the extra smoothness but my skills and adaptability aren't so delicate that things like that matter to me in any kind of game, so I can't understand people who bitch and moan and think they can't play a game well at 30 but can at 60, to that I say stop being babies, should games be made better? Yes, but stop being sensitive babies anyway.

Now then, when it comes to PC ports, asking for a stable framerate is fine, but framerate on PC doesn't work the same way, it varies wildly based on hardware, but a Port should ALWAYS be allowed to reach 60 with the right hardware, no forced frame limiting, that's fucking retarded for PC games.

Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 is an example of a Bad Port, that game for me on PC runs at 15 frames even in menus which makes 0 sense.
Framerate causing games to run in slow motion is a sign of poor optimization for PC hardware, as you see sometimes with console games being forced to run with emulators on PC, because it's amateur coding, everything is poorly optimized and weird shit happens.

The other thing is, that game isn't intensive enough at any point to justify being that slow on my Hardware when I can run Skyrim on high, MG RISING, DSII etc. all on high at 50-60 frames (Skyrim often can drop way lower but Bethesda games are not usually very optimized even when made for PC) So I judge a port based on how well it runs compared to games of similar graphical quality or standard.

When a PC game has a low framerate on PC, it doesn't run in slow motion, the game will always run at the same speed, but frames will simply change how choppy or smooth it is.

Earlier I saw that REmake 60fps gameplay they put out and was like "Wow, that looks great!" then watched it again at regular frame rate and was like "Wow, that looks great!"

Earlier I saw that REmake 60fps gameplay they put out and was like "Wow, that looks great!" then watched it again at regular frame rate and was like "Wow, that looks great!"
I bet you don't even have the 60fps NeoGAF mod.

Seriously, games that aren't super twitch genres are fine at 30, and as long as it doesn't dip below 30 like half the time, it's totally fine personally.

I'll always prefer how smooth 60 is, but I don't need it. It's just a plus.

I saw the 30fps gameplay and thought "Wow, that looks great! I can't wait to see it in 60!" Then I was too lazy to sign into my youtube account on Chrome.

croten

I bet you don't even have the 60fps NeoGAF mod.

Seriously, games that aren't super twitch genres are fine at 30, and as long as it doesn't dip below 30 like half the time, it's totally fine personally.

I'll always prefer how smooth 60 is, but I don't need it. It's just a plus.

30 looks fine but 60 always looks better

Xiraiya

You know what? I still can't tell 60 and 30 apart based on visuals alone. I can feel the responsiveness difference, but visually? Nope.

I can usually tell pretty clearly which is which, I always could even as a kid. But I think that comes from the fact I've dealt with PC games for years and different PCs that ran things flawlessly or ran things poorly, so after awhile you naturally just pick up the difference by eyesight, but you can definitely feel it in movement and response yes, not in any major way, but still.

You know what? I still can't tell 60 and 30 apart based on visuals alone. I can feel the responsiveness difference, but visually? Nope.

I can see the difference, and 60 will always be preferred because it's objectively better, but I don't personally need it nor will I ever comment on something not having it. If something is like a Compile Heart game and is barely above 15-20 for the entire game then I'll complain, but it still doesn't stop me from playing the game.

demidar

I can usually tell pretty clearly which is which, I always could even as a kid. But I think that comes from the fact I've dealt with PC games for years and different PCs that ran things flawlessly or ran things poorly, so after awhile you naturally just pick up the difference by eyesight, but you can definitely feel it in movement and response yes, not in any major way, but still.

I find the difference of input between 16ms and 33ms to be massive. 33ms just feels too sluggish when the action is popping off.

Alfebit

Banned
My GAF bronze got me 900p and 30fps ;~;

Obligatory
neogafbronze_zpsd510e6ff.jpg
Do you run it on an Xbone?

Alfebit

Banned
Has nothing to do with the eyes, a lot of people can see the difference just fine, they just don't trick themselves into the delusion that they can't play perfectly playable framerates.

It's not really a "delusion" if it gives you migraines or motion sickness.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What, how does that even happen?

Really?

Motion sickness has been a thing since the earliest FPS games in the early 90s. I had a friend who always got sick trying to play Doom on an old machine where the framerate wasn't great. Perfectly playable for many of us, but it gave him headaches at the very least. When he played it on a faster rig with a better framerate he was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom