• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

Has nothing to do with the eyes, a lot of people can see the difference just fine, they just don't trick themselves into the delusion that they can't play perfectly playable framerates.
The problem is last gen we were getting games that ran at 30 but often dipped to 20 or the teens which is very much unplayable, and now we're getting those already with the new consoles. Developers have their priorities in the wrong fucking places.

I also want to know how this condition works. Is it because your brain wants to fill in the missing images, but it can't? Or is that stupid, and it's a matter of the illusion of motion fucking with you harder because of the missing visual input?

Xiraiya

The problem is last gen we were getting games that ran at 30 but often dipped to 20 or the teens which is very much unplayable, and now we're getting those already with the new consoles. Developers have their priorities in the wrong fucking places.
Games definitely shouldn't be dropping that low, at that point it's basically them building games so poorly the console can barely deal with it.

Really?

Motion sickness has been a thing since the earliest FPS games in the early 90s. I had a friend who always got sick trying to play Doom on an old machine where the framerate wasn't great. Perfectly playable for many of us, but it gave him headaches at the very least. When he played it on a faster rig with a better framerate he was fine.

I wonder if Woolie would still get sick with a rock solid 60fps shooter.

I also want to know how this condition works. Is it because your brain wants to fill in the missing images, but it can't? Or is that stupid, and it's a matter of the illusion of motion fucking with you harder because of the missing visual input?
It does fill it in, but I don't think you can lose/not have that ability to fill it in. Go try it with youtube 60FPS Mario Kart 8. It's super noticeable there.

Xiraiya

My thought is, if a game at 30 gives you Migraines but not at 60, a lot of TV shows and stuff aren't 60, so that would imply TV would also make you sick.

It still seems like a condition where video games at all probably is a bad idea.

It does fill it in, but I don't think you can lose/not have that ability to fill it in. Go try it with youtube 60FPS Mario Kart 8. It's super noticeable there.

Meaning the thing where it gives you a headache, not the thing where I can't see which is which.

QF4rG8t.gif
I don't have a one tho...

My thought is, if a game at 30 gives you Migraines but not at 60, a lot of TV shows and stuff aren't 60, so that would imply TV would also make you sick.

It still seems like a condition where video games at all probably is a bad idea.
It's why I don't watch a lot of tv, and take a lot of breaks playing video games. It's pretty bad.

I don't have a one tho...
's fine.

That's not how it works for everyone. You watch TV at 24fps, but you don't play it. TV and movies aren't comparable to games like that.

It's not a condition. Sub-30 fucks me and a good majority of other people's eyes.

No, he's talking about the people who are unable to play sub-30 games.
Meaning the thing where it gives you a headache, not the thing where I can't see which is which.
I can't seem to keep up with this thread anymore after doing a thing. I believe it happens because you brain is processing the gaps of images. It is excruciating while trying to go through DaS or another game with visual ques.

YMMV. Some shows do use too many cuts and can make people seize up or get motion sickness.

This is all caused by your brain being weird about input, so it can make a huge difference whether you're controlling it. Also, TV shows and movies are mostly static shots of things, with much less camera movement than games.

My understanding is your brain is like "Mother fucker I can't SEE, how the FUCK do you want me to help you move this shit if I can't tell what's going on? No, fuck you, I'm done. Fix this broken ass shit."
I wonder if Woolie would still get sick with a rock solid 60fps shooter.
He played Titanfall no problems

Just watching something is a lot more comfortable than trying to control it with a subpar framerate (as in below 30)
What game do you think they did for tonight's FNF?
Groove on Fight.
I want them to do more weird shit like those never published games

man helping my dad make a shed in the backyard is really dragging the days down
i want it to be Christmas already
hes installing the shingles right now and then is the windows and door
then painting it
should be done soon hopefully

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

In shows/films with a lot of movement, particularly from the camera itself, a lot of people DO get sick from watching that sort of thing. A bunch of people reported nausea watching something like Cloverfield for example. I know when I was still working at ILM whenever camera jitter/shaking was needed for shots we'd have to be cognizant of the effect it could have while sticking to a director's requests.

It's also how roller-coaster simulator rides are effective - just being in the ride itself wouldn't be nearly as effective without the visual element. Also see any of those Oculus Rift videos of people falling over in the roller coaster demo for an example of how much the visuals can affect the brain.

Okingjrr

Arcana Heart.
#Believe

Project M

PS: All stars

Ultimax For eva
Groove on Fight.
I want them to do more weird shit like those never published games

I'm still waiting on ultimax

I'd legit love it if they did a surprise live stream of them watching the game awards thing.

I don't even know what's left like fighting games for them to do aside from the obvious ones...

joe2187

Banned
man helping my dad make a shed in the backyard is really dragging the days down
i want it to be Christmas already
hes installing the shingles right now and then is the windows and door
then painting it
should be done soon hopefully

I loved making dog houses to sell with my uncle. mostly because we went nuts on the designs

Two story dog houses with ramps, sliding door windows, wood and tile flooring. Spiral steps, attached and extra rooms for small dogs.

I wish I owned a camera back then, some of the stuff we made was sick.

Xiraiya

In shows/films with a lot of movement, particularly from the camera itself, a lot of people DO get sick from watching that sort of thing. A bunch of people reported nausea watching something like Cloverfield for example. I know when I was still working at ILM whenever camera jitter/shaking was needed for shots we'd have to be cognizant of the effect it could have while sticking to a director's requests.

It's also how roller-coaster simulator rides are effective - just being in the ride itself wouldn't be nearly as effective without the visual element. Also see any of those Oculus Rift videos of people falling over in the roller coaster demo for an example of how much the visuals can affect the brain.

That makes a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom