• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't played Ultimax in months. Just never felt myself improve.

Arena into Ultimax was one of the first where I actually did ok enough to be mediocre. I think it's just the lenient special inputs and the amount of time I spent with the game doing the Story.

I played about 20 hours of Arena online for a few days on 360. the 360 players were all S ranks and shit, so maybe that helped me git gud.

ultimax

I haven't played Ultimax in months. Just never felt myself improve.
That was the case for me and most fighting games before I switched to playing with a fightstick. The button layout makes way more sense to me on a stick versus a pad. I was able to learn easier

That was the case for me and most fighting games before I switched to playing with a fightstick. The button layout makes way more sense to me on a stick versus a pad. I was able to learn easier

I can't do motions on my fightstick for shit. I actually use it more for arcade games than fighters. The only game I'm decent on stick with is Skullgirls.

I have a stick. It's just something about ArkSys fighters that I can not grasp.

Do you set up your stick inputs to
ACD
BXX
? It feels natural enough on a pad, but it feels wrong in practice.

Emouse

I was the same, couldn't play SFIV and many others with a pad but as soon as I picked up a stick I got a lot better, there are still a few I prefer with a pad but I now mostly use stick if I can, my thumbs couldn't handle the Z motions at all

0.0 crotens a chick?

Yep. Look at him, he's so cute
image.php

ultimax

I can't do motions on my fightstick for shit. I actually use it more for arcade games than fighters. The only game I'm decent on stick with is Skullgirls.
It's just preference really. Movement in general is tough in the beginning, but after practice I was fine.
maybe you just perfer the slower paced fighters in general?
Do you set up your stick inputs to
ACD
BXX
? It feels natural enough on a pad, but it feels wrong in practice.
I use the default controls lol. I have no problem with it

While I wanted to get into ArkSys fighters, they're so fast and crazy along with each character having their own systems- too much work 4 me.

Doesn't help that I don't have any character that I truly connect to in their games, since I need to really like the character to actually play them.

While I wanted to get into ArkSys fighters, they're so fast and crazy along with each character having their own systems- too much work 4 me.

Doesn't help that I don't have any character that I truly connect to in their games, since I need to really like the character to actually play them.

That's why I love BlazBlue so much, aside from it just appealing so forcefully to my weeabooism, the characters are so significantly different that each one feels like a different game and matching them all together gives it the most variety of any fighter out there right now.

maybe you just perfer the slower paced fighters in general?
Outside of FPSs, I prefer slower pace games. I have never had great controller dexterity, and the faster a game, the faster my brain turns to jelly.

With a FPS, I don't have to worry about a controller, for I have a keyboard and a mouse, so my brain doesn't melt so quickly.

I love the asymmetric balance. Games where your opponent moveset doesn't match yours 100% of the time are really interesting since it changes how you play defense.

Ultimax has the least of that in gimmicky ways though. Characters like Aigis have Orgia Mode and Teddie has all the toys, but most fighters are actually pretty much normal. They fit in archetypes like ranged fighter/projectile spammer, but it's pretty much the least complex fightan I know.

That's why I love BlazBlue so much, aside from it just appealing so forcefully to my weeabooism, the characters are so significantly different that each one feels like a different game and matching them all together gives it the most variety of any fighter out there right now.

I love each character being different but when it comes to playing with other people, problems arise unless you spend tons of time learning the match ups.
An easy example is in Skullgirls, and how people who don't know Ms. Fortune/ puppet characters will get completely destroyed because they just don't know how to deal with it.

I don't like any of the characters enough to spend the time needed to get decent at it, which is a shame but Xrd might hit me nice.

ultimax

Outside of FPSs, I prefer slower pace games. I have never had great controller dexterity, and the faster a game, the faster my brain turns to jelly.

With a FPS, I don't have to worry about a controller, for I have a keyboard and a mouse, so my brain doesn't melt so quickly.
yeah I totally understand that. Especially with anime fighters, they aren't for everyone

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I'm kinda the opposite, at least in that I love the hell outta bullet hell shmups. Those things'll melt your damn brain real quick. :lol

I'm sure it'll be more interesting when they show more of how the mechanics actually work and some actual game, but for now Ryu squiding it up and kicking around ink in such a dark setting is pretty eh
I guess so. Just nothing shown (and I know it's just a teaser) screams sequel to me. Especially considering it's exclusive to the PS4, I expected something....more. We'll see though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom