• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually the same thing it's always been. Gen 2 had a lot of the same mechanics. It's still a solid a kids game with the most complicated insane game ever underneath.

But, like, the first couple were actually pretty challenging and there were some cool dungeons. Now it's a straight shot and you don't even have to bother with type matching. I went into a gym and beat half of it with a Pokemon that was weak to that gym in X.

Yo, I haven't watched Freeman's Mind in years. Has it still been going on?
Yeah man, if it ever ends it's gonna feel weird. Freeman is basically a raving lunatic at this point. The newer stuff is just alright.
But, like, the first couple were actually pretty challenging and there were some cool dungeons. Now it's a straight shot and you don't even have to bother with type matching. I went into a gym and beat half of it with a Pokemon that was weak to that gym in X.
Turn off EXP share. It's ruining the modern games' challenge. X and Y is fucking brutal without it.

GGs. Maragi had very consistent punishes for everything I did. Along with great pressure and baiting my smash attacks. Ima need rematch some other time.

I don't even know anymore, guys, why aren't the games fun? Why is everything centered around the post game? Why is the actual game becoming nothing but an afterthought? It's depressing.

Because it suffers from JRPG syndrome, for me.

AKA, it's boring. At least there is the meta to look forward to.

360pages

I will agree Gens 1-4 are far better designed and feel like they were made as RPGS with great competitive features.

Gen 5-6 Lowered the difficulty far too much and removed a large sum of problem solving. Gen 5 had the best story, but it's easy to tell the games have been getting easier and easier.

I was mainly looking at it from a competitive stand point, it's perfectly fine to ignore it if your gonna play through the game normally
I just have friends who are into breeding and it's frustrating to keep up with them, since it just takes hours and hours and hours to breed a perfect Pokemon team. I don't get any sense of pride or completion when I finally get it either.

It's just my opinion, but I dislike it rather strongly. Time investment is huge, coupled with RNG.

croten

I just finished The Fall. Look forward to that ending guys.

Apparently there is a confirmed parts 2 and 3 in development. Sweet

Rip in peace.

edit: You could've also asked some of us.. i know some computer stuff ;_;

I figured I'd get a bunch of people's recommendations. Feel free to recommend me some stuff though. I really want to get a new laptop more than anything. I can't handle using this piece of crap anymore.

DP'd like my new thread.

Zenfalcia

I figured I'd get a bunch of people's recommendations. Feel free to recommend me some stuff though. I really want to get a new laptop more than anything. I can't handle using this piece of crap anymore.

DP'd like my new thread.

Crap for which one? The netbook/notebook or the purely programming one?

Do you want the best for your money? Or just a good computer. What i'm trying to say is any specific specs besides the ones you listed already.

Xiraiya

Do any of you guys ever care about achievements? I was listening to GBcast and them going on about achievement points for the 5000th time and it occured to me that I can't think of a single time I have ever cared about whether a game had achievements/points or whatever.

Achievements WITHIN a game that actually have a tangible purpose maybe, but not system achievements (Steam,PSN etc.)

I made my first thread. Hope I don't get decimated.
Should have posted here.

I just have friends who are into breeding and it's frustrating to keep up with them, since it just takes hours and hours and hours to breed a perfect Pokemon team. I don't get any sense of pride or completion when I finally get it either.

It's just my opinion, but I dislike it rather strongly. Time investment is huge, coupled with RNG.

Ahh, I see where your coming from now, spending all that time just to keep up with friends may seem like a waste

croten

Do any of you guys ever care about achievements? I was listening to GBcast and them going on about achievement points for the 5000th time and it occured to me that I can't think of a single time I have ever cared about whether a game had achievements/points or whatever.

Achievements WITHIN a game that actually have a tangible purpose maybe, but not system achievements (Steam,PSN etc.)

Should have posted here.

I used to on Xbox but not anymore

DP'd like my new thread.
If you want to blow all your money, Falcon Northwest makes ultra books to your specification and custom paints and shit. If you want something cheaper I got a "gaming" laptop from Lenovo and it works pretty great

Crap for which one? The netbook/notebook or the purely programming one?

Do you want the best for your money? Or just a good computer. What i'm trying to say is any specific specs besides the ones you listed already.

Nah I have a laptop for programming already now and when I move out I'm gonna get a desktop and that'll be my work computer for programs and stuff. This one is for casual stuff like surfing/stream. A good computer that'll last a while is definitely preferred. I really don't have any specific specs. As long as it works better than my old shitty one idc.

I feel the same way. Stuff like the bottlecaps in Wonderful 101 or Umbran Tears in Bayonetta are essentially the same in form, but in some cases having reasons to get them like unlocking content is something I'm okay with.

I used to, but then I realized that the bigger nerds do, and I don't want to associate with nerds like that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I used to really care about achievements a lot when I started using Trueachievements.com for achievement tracking. It gives a weighted score to achievements so they're not such an arbitrary number. I still do like achievements, and will try to complete games that I really like, but I'm less aggressive about it.

Should have posted here.
I did in the in the early days of the Xbox but I stopped caring a long time ago. Infamous second son is my only platinum because it was literally as easy as playing the game twice, which I was going to do anyway

If you want to blow all your money, Falcon Northwest makes ultra books to your specification and custom paints and shit. If you want something cheaper I got a "gaming" laptop from Lenovo and it works pretty great

Definitely don't wanna blow money. Saving up to move out in a few years, but getting a new laptop is a must for me. I've heard of the Lenovo. I'll have to do some research on it.

Should have posted here.

I figured, but since it was in gaming I thought i shouldn't post a recommendation for a non gaming laptop/pc in gaming section.

joe2187

Banned
Alright you guys have a good night, just finished up cooking a giant ass, spicy swedish meatballs, POE-TAY-TOES salad, and fresh creamy Profiteroles and heading out to the fams for Thanksgiving dinner.

Have a good one friendnder bros

Xiraiya

Just hearing them talk about it being like "Oh well good achievement systems are usually where they have some old crazy to do achievements but also have ones that give you some points early on to keep your interest and-"

I'm like... wait a minute, achievement points to KEEP your interest in a game? Why would that stuff ever have any bearing whatsoever on how long you play a game for?
Aren't achievements suppose to be like funny and random things you get for doing crazy or sometimes insanely hard stuff?

Should have posted here.
I'm somewhat guilty of it. They're kinda fun if they're challengey
Alright you guys have a good night, just finished up cooking a giant ass, spicy swedish meatballs, POE-TAY-TOES salad, and fresh creamy Profiteroles and heading out to the fams for Thanksgiving dinner.

Have a good one friendnder bros
Enjoy your family time

That's what a lot of people are telling me too. Its just that Abubeats told me how he had such a shitty experience with his macbook that it kind of turned me off from it.
Every laptop is fucking fragile as shit and nearly destined to fail. Apples high build quality is sadly one of the few things that makes them appealing.

It's also super expensive though, so gimme a few hours at most and I'll have a good list for you.

Every laptop is fucking fragile as shit and nearly destined to fail. Apples high build quality is sadly one of the few things that makes them appealing.

It's also super expensive though, so gimme a few hours at most and I'll have a good list for you.

Mrgoodwil
(Today, 07:35 PM)

Thanks dude :)

Zenfalcia

The problem is they have such a high premium.. for literally the same thing as a cheaper equivalent.

But if all you care is specs and not the build quality, a lot of that money is wasted just on buying the apple brand.

Buying PC and Buying Apple is not the same.

I own both respectively, so if farebear doesn't want to relearn how to use the OS, buy a chrome book or a Lenovo.

Achievements WITHIN a game that actually have a tangible purpose maybe, but not system achievements (Steam,PSN)

Oh god, I recently got out of that loop once I couldn't handle all that time taken to platinum a single RPG. The last game I platinumed was tales of symphonia, I felt like I was mentally breaking down

I own both respectively, so if farebear doesn't want to relearn how to use the OS, buy a chrome book or a Lenovo.
You could wipe a Macbook and drop another OS on it, but most people don't want to mess with that.

In general, my brand recommendation is always ASUS. My favorite hardware manufacturer by far.

Zenfalcia

Well i'm comparing them in terms of hardware, software they're totally different. You can argue the special customization apple does to their laptop's inner and outer design is worth comparing.

I'm not familiar at all with the Mac OS, but either way I'll have to be learning a new OS since most new laptops have Windows 8.1 anyway.

croten

If it wasn't apparent from my multiple failed attempts to download steam, I wouldn't know how to go backwards in OS. Unless its just as simple as buying windows 7 and downloading it.

Well you could get a laptop with Win 7 pre installed, but it should be that simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom