• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not familiar at all with the Mac OS, but either way I'll have to be learning a new OS since most new laptops have Windows 8.1 anyway.
Even if they come with 8.1 you can get 7 on a CD, or you can upgrade to 10 later, if you trust it to be good.

Biggest loss you may have with a Mac is your LOCAL GAME STORE won't work. Since you want it for streaming video though, that'd be fine.

It's as simpler as putting the DVD in and clicking next a few times.

You could wipe a Macbook and drop another OS on it, but most people don't want to mess with that.
In general, my brand recommendation is always ASUS. My favorite hardware manufacturer by far.

Sony or Lenovo. I love their build qualities and are normally competent OEMs.

Well i'm comparing them in terms of hardware, software they're totally different. You can argue the special customization apple does to their laptop's inner and outer design is worth comparing.

Yes, but that Apple tax isn't worth it. Buy a gen back and you can't even upgrade the RAM or graphics card normally.

I'm not familiar at all with the Mac OS, but either way I'll have to be learning a new OS since most new laptops have Windows 8.1 anyway.

Trust me, going from windows to Mac OSX is jarring for a lot of people.

ultimax

Mac OS is extremely user friendly. Anybody can learn how to use it within a matter of minutes.

That being said, I really can't recommend any apple computers unless you are going for the iMac desktops. The laptops are kind of shitty, especially for the price you're paying.

Trust me, going from windows to Mac OSX is jarring for a lot of people.

Yeah if I do go with a Mac I'd have to spend a few days just figuring stuff out. I'm using it for relatively simple stuff though so it shouldn't be too bad.

Even if they come with 8.1 you can get 7 on a CD, or you can upgrade to 10 later, if you trust it to be good.

Biggest loss you may have with a Mac is your LOCAL GAME STORE won't work. Since you want it for streaming video though, that'd be fine.

It's as simpler as putting the DVD in and clicking next a few times.

Yeah I figured. I mean if there is a VN or something I really want to download and play, I can just do it on this laptop. Assuming I decide on a Mac.

Well you could get a laptop with Win 7 pre installed, but it should be that simple

I guess I should do that. Its just a lot of the laptops being sold already have it preinstalled with 8 or 8.1. But if it is that simple then I can do it.

croten

Now that I played The Fall I caught up with the LP and man, Woolie is really scrubbing it up. I had no problems against the droids through the whole game

Yeah if I do go with a Mac I'd have to spend a few days just figuring stuff out. I'm using it for relatively simple stuff though so it shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah I figured. I mean if there is a VN or something I really want to download and play, I can just do it on this laptop. Assuming I decide on a Mac.

I guess I should do that. Its just a lot of the laptops being sold already have it preinstalled with 8 or 8.1. But if it is that simple then I can do it.

The big plus with a Mac laptop is that you can have both windows and OSX installed and cycle between either at launch.

Big minus is that the ram and gpu/CPU are soldered onto the frame of the computers now, making upgrading something only apple geniuses can do.

The big plus with a Mac laptop is that you can have both windows and OSX installed and cycle between either at launch.

Big minus is that the ram and gpu/CPU are soldered onto the frame of the computers now, making upgrading something only apple geniuses can do.

I don't think I'd ever even open up my laptop even if it wasn't a Mac. The idea of even building a PC scares me, so messing with a laptop is just insane.

You can't feasibly upgrade any laptop anyway. The RAM is the only real shitty thing, that's easy on other laptops.

The PC version was released in 2008. 6 years ago.
I'll look into it and buy DMC4 when I have the money and a good PC.
I don't think I'd ever even open up my laptop even if it wasn't a Mac. The idea of even building a PC scares me, so messing with a laptop is just insane.
You could also be cheap and get a laptop preinstalled with ubuntu/linux. You just have to be decent with the terminal.
sorry if I'm not helping...

Zenfalcia

If it wasn't apparent from my multiple failed attempts to download steam, I have no clue how to go backwards in OS. Unless its just as simple as buying windows 7 and downloading it.

It's so ironic. :p

Did you finally figure it out? I could see if i could use a desktop sharing program to control/see what you are doing and just do it for you.

DoktorEvil said:
Yes, but that Apple tax isn't worth it. Buy a gen back and you can't even upgrade the RAM or graphics card normally.

Apple tax and lack of personal customization sucks.. a lot.

You can't feasibly upgrade any laptop anyway. The RAM is the only real shitty thing, that's easy on other laptops.
You can upgrade the memory read/write speeds with a SSD. That's about it.

You could also be cheap and get a laptop preinstalled with ubuntu/linux. You just have to be decent with the terminal.
sorry if I'm not helping...

I'm not trying to do anything magical with it, just some streaming/surfing stuff at a good rate without it burning my skin when I touch it lol. And any recommendation is help so don't feel bad about it.

I'm not trying to do anything magical with it, just some streaming/surfing stuff at a good rate without it burning my skin when I touch it lol. And any recommendation is help so don't feel bad about it.
If thats all you need, I would say a laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu would be the best and cheapest option. During setup just add in the proprietary software and its ready to go. They also have reminders for updates which don't automatically happen and restarting is mostly optional.
I have it downloaded and when I try to install it gives me a fatal error and says
Clear out some of your harddrive space.

Buy last gens MacBook Pro and I think that's more than plenty of computer you'll enjoy.

If thats all you need, I would say a laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu would be the best and cheapest option. During setup just add in the proprietary software and its ready to go. They also have reminders for updates which don't automatically happen and restarting is mostly optional.

Clear out some of your harddrive space.

It'll probably take me a while to clear it out. Lots of it is old music and songs I have no clue how to find. Will probably just go through the computer one day and empty stuff out.

Buy last gens MacBook Pro and I think that's more than plenty of computer you'll enjoy.

I'm deciding between Mac, Lenovo or Asus at this point, but GoodWil is helping me out too so I'll wait to see what his recommendations are.

I wish i could just help you in person just to make it really easy. Have you checked online for solutions or try my idea of turning off/allowing steam to pass the fire wall?

Not yet, been kind of busy the last few days with other stuff. I figured its kind of pointless right now since I'm getting a new laptop soon anyway.

It'll probably take me a while to clear it out. Lots of it is old music and songs I have no clue how to find. Will probably just go through the computer one day and empty stuff out.

I'm deciding between Mac, Lenovo or Asus at this point, but GoodWil is helping me out too so I'll wait to see what his recommendations are.

How long are you planning on holding onto it?

Bump up how long this will take me, it's hard to look up stuff on mobile, but go ahead and Pm/post the links to what you're looking at.

Frilled shark.

Frilled-shark-swimming.jpg

tumblr_naifqwdpLZ1sbhwu5o1_1280.png

Happy thanksgiving all.

Then I'm giving up on ever becoming a PC gamer and just be an old grandpa that games on his ps11 and complains about everything.

My old laptop? Until it stop working I guess. It really depends on what kind of new laptop I get.

New egg might have some Black Friday deals on laptops. You should start there.

I would say the ROG would be the best deal if you actually wanna game on it, but if you don't, why would you spend the extra money?

Its a lot of people's recommendations. You could make the same argument for a Macbook. I doubt I'm gonna find anything for less than $500 that's powerful enough for 1080p streaming and the stuff I want.

Its a lot of people's recommendations. You could make the same argument for a Macbook. I doubt I'm gonna find anything for less than $500 that's powerful enough for 1080p streaming and the stuff I want.
Now that I'm looking at it there really isn't much/any options in 1080p for under 500. I'll go help look under just in case. There has to be a good preinstalled linux one in that price range.

edit: What do you think of this default one? You could also get a $50+ upgrade for an i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom