• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

I have a soft spot for Eternal Darkness.

Speaking of, I wish they'd do an LP of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Watching Pat play through just the mansion part alone would be fucking radical.
Next Shit Storm, they need to do a 7 Part LP of VTMB, god dammit.
But I don't know if they would play it with an unofficial Patch, I think it might be a bit too broken otherwise.

Yeah ED helped because I actually think it's my favorite survival horror, so watching them play was a blast.

sjay1994

Pat... if you haven't finished the game yet do this

MAX OUT THE HARPOON BOLTS!

THEY WILL ONE SHOT ALMOST EVERYTHING

It literally acts like you shot a match at an enemy

croten

He has been working with Matt for a while. (he can never go back to minimum wage again)

you-you-o.gif

Beloved

But I don't know if they would play it with an unofficial Patch, I think it might be a bit too broken otherwise.

Yeah ED helped because I actually think it's my favorite survival horror, so watching them play was a blast.

Even Steam basically tells you "Get the patch".

And no I'm selfish, I want them to do an entire freakin LP of it.

croten

Pat said on the podcast recently that he has tried to play it multiple times but it has never worked for him.

Even Steam basically tells you "Get the patch".

And no I'm selfish, I want them to do an entire freakin LP of it.

I played a couple hours of that game all patched up to hell and the game still broke on me and I couldn't continue. I can't believe how fucked that game is.

Beloved

Them being terrified by the bathtub scare is also a good moment. Love a good "GODDAMMIT WHY DID I NOT SEE THAT COMING DESPITE ME HAVING ALREADY SEEN THAT COMING"

Ahhh man, that was great. Good times were had by all

I played a couple hours of that game all patched up to hell and the game still broke on me and I couldn't continue. I can't believe how fucked that game is.

That would make me salty as hell. I'm playing through it right now, havent had any problem so far but I'm still fairly early in the game.

Xiraiya

I played a lot of videogames and I think I'm pretty smart. Anybody who has done the same is the same way. Sometimes they can't articulate it, but they know.
I sometimes can't articulate my logic on things as well as I would like but yet I know wholeheartedly.

That's weird, It's been running fine for me, the opening cutscene is iffy but I haven't had any real major crashes that weren't from me messing with files, might have been worse awhile ago, I believe the Patch is up to 9.2 now, it's pretty solid at this point.

No, we don't have to agree to disagree. The boss is obtuse as fuck and communicates it's rules incredibly poorly. Even if, knowing that before hand, it'd be a tense and amazing fight, since you have little to no chance of discerning the authorial intent, it then becomes a frustrating mess of trial and error. And if it requires an incredibly specific playstyle, and forgoes any attempt at foreshadowing that, that's fucking awful. If it wanted stealth, it could have implied stealth. But it doesn't. So instant it portrays itself as a combat boss, despite straight combat being one of the worst things you can do to fight it. It's fucking garbage. Agree to disagree is when you don't wanna continue an argument, but I'll fucking continue it forever because you're wrong and that boss is fucking dogshit. Now I'm not mad at you at all, despite how this is coming out, but just jesus christ man. You don't want me to think it's a poor boss? Did you work on the game? Why do you care? The boss is fucking GARBAGE. If you liked it, that's fine, you seem to have lucked out into its exact pattern, but you did that on your own, the game didn't actually help you get there like it's supposed to.

Long story short the boss sucks.

Calm down man. You're reiterating exactly what I was saying. The boss explains how to fight it poorly. I said that in nearly every post I made about it. I agree to disagree because you're welcome to your opinion on the fight just as I'm welcome to my own. I don't feel a need to continue a discussion when we're both firmly set in our beliefs on the subject so going any further on it would simply anger one or both of us further for no good reason.

Don't let this or any other comments on the game or how you handle it for the LP negatively impact the game experience for you. Try not to go into your next sessions expecting the worst based upon what others have said. Maybe they're right, maybe they're not. Myself disagreeing with you on this boss if a perfect example of differing opinions.

Calm down man. You're reiterating exactly what I was saying. The boss explains how to fight it poorly. I said that in nearly every post I made about it.

I agree to disagree because you're welcome to your opinion on the fight just as I'm welcome to my own. I don't feel a need to continue a discussion when we're both firmly set in our beliefs on the subject so going any further on it would simply anger one or both of us further for no good reason.

Don't let this or any other comments on the game or how you handle it for the LP negatively impact the game experience for you. Try not to go into your next sessions expecting the worst based upon what others have said. Maybe they're right, maybe they're not. Myself disagreeing with you on this boss if a perfect example of differing opinions.

I'm plenty calm, I just get all passiony. It's mainly because of the phrase agree to disagree. When someone says that they'll have to agree to disagree, well, I can also choose not to agree to disagree. I disagree that we disagree. We're not disagree-ing, you're just wrong. It's fine that your wrong, and it doesn't make you a bad person, but like, I don't see this as a matter of opinion where agreement can solve it. You're just wrong. That being said, I'll just be cautious in the upcoming parts. I really, really want to like this game, and I guess that's why it's depressing me. I want so bad for it to be great, and I can see greatness in it, but boy is it god damn rushed. It's fucked up. Makes me sad.

Calm down man. You're reiterating exactly what I was saying. The boss explains how to fight it poorly. I said that in nearly every post I made about it. I agree to disagree because you're welcome to your opinion on the fight just as I'm welcome to my own. I don't feel a need to continue a discussion when we're both firmly set in our beliefs on the subject so going any further on it would simply anger one or both of us further for no good reason.

If that's how you feel, it's your job to drop it, not be all patronizing.

Xiraiya

That being said, I'll just be cautious in the upcoming parts. I really, really want to like this game, and I guess that's why it's depressing me. I want so bad for it to be great, and I can see greatness in it, but boy is it god damn rushed. It's fucked up. Makes me sad.
I know, I know, I see you guys playing it, and I really want to play it despite every shitty thing I've seen so far, but it probably won't be as satisfying and I hope.

croten

I'm plenty calm, I just get all passiony. It's mainly because of the phrase agree to disagree. When someone says that they'll have to agree to disagree, well, I can also choose not to agree to disagree. I disagree that we disagree. We're not disagree-ing, you're just wrong. It's fine that your wrong, and it doesn't make you a bad person, but like, I don't see this as a matter of opinion where agreement can solve it. You're just wrong. That being said, I'll just be cautious in the upcoming parts. I really, really want to like this game, and I guess that's why it's depressing me. I want so bad for it to be great, and I can see greatness in it, but boy is it god damn rushed. It's fucked up. Makes me sad.

At least it's made a great LP. Survival horror games are some of the best on the channel

Hah, this reminds me of arguing with Liam, like I did in the two previous let's watches. I say
X = Garbage. He goes, no, it's not. I go yeah, it is. He goes, that's just your opinion. I say, yeah, it's just your opinion the other way around, and as it's my opinion, I'm going to keep saying it, and every time you say that X ISNT garbage, I'll say that it's garbage twice as hard. I'm petty like that, I suppose.

I feel a similar way about DA2. I really like 6 or 7 of the characters in that game, but some of the choices they made were just so fucking baffling

Xiraiya

Hah, this reminds me of arguing with Liam, like I did in the two previous let's watches. I say
X = Garbage. He goes, no, it's not. I go yeah, it is. He goes, that's just your opinion. I say, yeah, it's just your opinion the other way around, and as it's my opinion, I'm going to keep saying it, and every time you say that X ISNT garbage, I'll say that it's garbage twice as hard. I'm petty like that, I suppose.

Now you know why I really dislike Liam, he's probably a great person but boy does his presence and listening to him talk make me salty.

croten

Agree to disagree tho

sjay1994

Calm down man. You're reiterating exactly what I was saying. The boss explains how to fight it poorly. I said that in nearly every post I made about it.

I agree to disagree because you're welcome to your opinion on the fight just as I'm welcome to my own. I don't feel a need to continue a discussion when we're both firmly set in our beliefs on the subject so going any further on it would simply anger one or both of us further for no good reason.

Dude, its not a good boss fight.

It does communicate its rules poorly. The boss is intended to be a "stealth" fight. The idea is that you are supposed to hide from it, and shoot its eye. Problem is how the game drops you into that fight. Its not clear what you are supposed to do. Even when you do, finish it through stealth... its second phase where it can insta kill you, you can not hide from it.

Not to mention how difficult it is to return to hiding once you are spotted in the first phase. The fucking thing destroys everything when it sees you. Everyone I have seen playing and myself struggled through this fight. It took me 1 hour to beat since I did a no upgrade run for my first playthrough.

It doesn't convey how to do it in a way that a player can find out obviously, but rather through trial and error.

That is the saddest thing about it, and likely why I'm willing to give it more benefit of a doubt than most. I can see greatness in it but the issues are far more noticeable than what the game does right. I know they put out a 1.06 GB patch for the console versions earlier this week but I'm not quite sure what they fixed with it. Obviously it won't be anything like game mechanics but I'd love to eventually see an option to at least remove the letter boxing on consoles as well.

At the risk of saying something Liam has said to you before, opinions can't be wrong. :x

Edit: Goddammit, even you realized the Liam similarities. Guess I'm defacto Liam.

If that's how you feel, it's your job to drop it, not be all patronizing.

I'm not patronizing anyone. Come on now, don't be "that guy"

Beloved

The amusing thing about that, is the dynamic between Xiraiya and VidulaSaix is basically just like you and Liam. Except Saix gets more butthurt than Liam ever seems to.

mike0dude

Liam also seems to enjoy disagreeing with you so you end up going in a circle forever unless one of you decides to drop it.

MormaPope

Banned
Its pretty surprising that SWERY of all people has made the best survival horror game story wise since Silent Hill 2. Deadly Premonition's ending with Zach gets me emotional and hyped every single time, the pay off for sticking with the game and seeing the emotional baggage he's been carrying for decades is magnificent.

Meanwhile The Evil Within is on some whackness. Completely flat. The characters are as endearing as greased up fast food napkins, disposable in every sense.

Beloved

Opinions are very often wrong.

In fact saying "Its just my opinion so it can't be wrong" is the kind of logic that people use to shit all over other people's choices/beliefs/etc without repercussions.

Opinions not backed up by substantiated fact lead to all kinds of terrible mindsets.

If it's my opinion that vaccines don't work and cause ASD guess what, it's fucking wrong.

There's a difference between me saying I enjoyed something in a video game and me saying something that's factually wrong.

My opinion on whether I liked something is my own. I don't let others dictate if I'm allowed to like something or not. That's why I've personally never understood people looking at game reviews to decide if they want to buy a game or not.

There's a difference between me saying I enjoyed something in a video game and me saying something that's absolutely false.

My opinion on whether I liked something is my own. I don't let others dictate if I'm allowed to like something or not. That's why I've personally never understood people looking at game reviews to decide if they want to buy a game or not.

You didn't say you didn't like it. You said different things entirely.

We all need to focus on what matters...like tsundere sharks

iEdGjQe.gif

NOT RIGHT... awwwwww

Beloved

There's a difference between me saying I enjoyed something in a video game and me saying something that's factually wrong.

You liking it wasnt the issue though.

You can like a bad boss fight. It's still a bad boss fight though, despite you enjoying it.

MormaPope

Banned
Here's how a opinion may be wrong:

"This feces tastes great when paired with peanut butter."

The number of people that enjoy eating literal shit is so low that its almost impossible for someone to think otherwise.

Xiraiya

There is a law on the internet
"everyones opinion is wrong except your own, unless that a persons opinion is similar to yours"

I tend to scrutinize my own views pretty hard pretty regularly to see what sort of things may be influencing them where they should be.

I don't like the thought of ever being the person who holds onto an opinion well past making sense because it's been proven wrong.

On the bright side, this is a far more entertaining discussion than what I usually see in here arguing about waifu's and which yuri series is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom