• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno man, maybe I just have a weird thought pattern that makes me thinks of these things when I see stuff like that or maybe it's just because I love playing a game stealthily. I'm not going to say it was obvious what to do because it's clearly not but I do think it did give hints that you could tackle the fight stealthily if you wished.

No offense, but you're able to see those hints now, after you know the solution. The problem is that in the moment those hints go over your head because they're either barely present or actually illogical. Like, you wanna talk stealth? The thing has like 3-4 bodies with heads that look at you. How the hell am I to know it's actually seeing through a giant big gross eyeball that never appears?

Beloved

It's very clear the game was rushed out. I lost my shit at not one, but BOTH of those textures just straight up disappearing during the most recent part. How the fuck was that not caught and fixed?

That glitch was hilarious.

Also that last boss fight in EW was super weird because that boss was clearly OP, but once it's in combat with you its regular attacks don't kill you and it also doesnt even try to move very quickly even though we JUST SAW IT running ridiculously fast, then it instant kills you a minute later. It's not so much the instant kill itself that I take issue with, it's the fact that the fight comes across as super odd and unbalanced overall and the instant kill doesn't help.

Xiraiya

That glitch was hilarious.
Also that last boss fight in EW was super weird because that boss was clearly OP, but once it's in combat with you its regular attacks don't kill you and it also doesnt even try to move very quickly even though we JUST SAW IT running ridiculously fast, then it instant kills you a minute later. It's not so much the instant kill itself that I take issue with, it's the fact that the fight comes across as super odd and unbalanced overall and the instant kill doesn't help.

It is weird, personally I rather deal with a boss that's too weak to kill you quickly, than a boss that is made to be bullshit through artificial difficulty.
It all comes down to what we already know, most of the bosses are pretty poorly designed.

sjay1994

Oh, and Pat.

If you are still wondering how to get all the goo and the statue in the vid, you need to kill Laura.

Its practically impossible on a vanilla run to do.

No offense, but you're able to see those hints now, after you know the solution. The problem is that in the moment those hints go over your head because they're either barely present or actually illogical. Like, you wanna talk stealth? The thing has like 3-4 bodies with heads that look at you. How the hell am I to know it's actually seeing through a giant big gross eyeball that never appears?

You may very well be correct that I only see the hints now that I know the solution. I also know what in the heat of the moment, especially when playing a game for a video or a stream that you can't really afford to sit there and try numerous seemingly dumb things. As I've said, I admit that the game does a very poor job at communicating to you that you're able to stealth the boss but you guys proved that you could also just go in guns blazing and take it down.

Again, I just don't want people to consider it as a poor boss. Laura, as cool looking as she is, is a poor boss. The Bloodman in the barn was a poor boss.

If you are still wondering how to get all the goo and the statue in the vid, you need to kill Laura.

Now that's stupid.

It is weird, personally I rather deal with a boss that's too weak to kill you quickly, than a boss that is made to be bullshit through artificial difficulty

Of all the bosses encountered in the game thus far, I thought this one had the easiest instant kill to avoid. It doesn't do it unless it flips over and reveals it's purple glowy mouth and you can either run in the room like Pat did, Shock/Freeze it when it gets ready to charge or just have it collide with the environment.

Beloved

It is weird, personally I rather deal with a boss that's too weak to kill you quickly, than a boss that is made to be bullshit through artificial difficulty.

It all comes down to what we already know, most of the bosses are pretty poorly designed.

They are, yes.

EW is such a clusterfuck of bad design, copypasta, and actual good entertainment.

So basically, perfect for an LP.
Minus the crashes

Oh, and Pat.

That's fucking horseshit. That's fucking garbage. God damnit. Now I'm going to go into my next recording all negative because everybody is telling me the game is about to take a nosedive.

Xiraiya

The eyeball thing was bizarre, all that can really do is make you try and fight the boss with stealth when you come back on NG+, which by then would make that mechanic even more pointless. But regardless you're never given the impression the boss can't just immediately find you the moment you start moving from behind the pillar, even when he's looking around.

That's fucking horseshit. That's fucking garbage. God damnit. Now I'm going to go into my next recording all negative because everybody is telling me the game is about to take a nosedive.
Honestly when she was limping around, I felt like she was nearly dead, she probably would have been easy to get rid of at that point, but I understand the thought process of running and trying to grab that stuff.

You may very well be correct that I only see the hints now that I know the solution. I also know what in the heat of the moment, especially when playing a game for a video or a stream that you can't really afford to sit there and try numerous seemingly dumb things. As I've said, I admit that the game does a very poor job at communicating to you that you're able to stealth the boss but you guys proved that you could also just go in guns blazing and take it down.

Again, I just don't want people to consider it as a poor boss. Laura, as cool looking as she is, is a poor boss. The Bloodman in the barn was a poor boss.

Now that's stupid.

Having the boss being near impossible to suss out and seemingly just bullshit its way around all over is a fucking TERRIBLE boss. Not as bad as Laura, but bloodman is better than them both so far by at least being immediately understandable.

sjay1994

It does take a dive unfortunately.

The game hits a medium between RE5 and RE6 at the end, but takes itself seriously instead of the campy vibe as the RE games

I think the worst thing is that at the start, this game looks like it has so much promise and could be a lot of fun. Headshots look super satisfying even if they don't kill the baddies.

It is. One my my favorite LP's since Revengeance.

Whats wrong with a game taking itself seriously?

Just curious.

There's nothing wrong with that when the encounter design and every single aspect of the game goes to shit after Chapter 9.

Probably my biggest disappointment in video games as of late.

Having the boss being near impossible to suss out and seemingly just bullshit its way around all over is a fucking TERRIBLE boss. Not as bad as Laura, but bloodman is better than them both so far by at least being immediately understandable.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. If it negatively affected your enjoyment of the game then that's unfortunate.

That's because you're lame and never watched Deadly Premonition, or Eternal Darkness.

First off, ED was before Revengeance and I did watch it. I watched it with you, fool.

Second, I just don't care for the DP game itself. Nor D4. Not that they're bad, just not my thing.

*cough*Barkley*cough*

Barkley was fantastic as well. As was No Mouth.

I was enjoying Dark Souls for a while there as well but recent episodes have felt more like they're trying to speed through it and Woolie doesn't seem to be enjoying nearly as much as he was at the start.

Beloved

That's because you're lame and never watched Deadly Premonition, or Eternal Darkness.

e6fea896cac0c47d842509af713c5f34720dd73f414f56d144ea6037d8a4464a.jpg

croten

I don't know, Barkley was fine but I didn't find that game's ridiculousness quite as entertaining as most people, that and Liam.

So I'll stick with Deadly P and ED as my favorites, D4 is also already up there.

Barkley was the greatest LP on the channel. It had goofiness that topped DP and the Pat/Liam paradigm is one of my favorites

sjay1994

Whats wrong with a game taking itself seriously?

Just curious.

There is nothing wrong with a game taking itself seriously, but at least make sure the events happening in the game match the tone.

I think my problem with this game is how it portrays its tone. I really liked the evil within until chapter 11. Chapter 12 was atrocious, and everything goes down the hill.

I can explain in more detail, but the amount of white bars are going to be huge. I also might be salty after finishing Akumu mode.

That mode made me hate this game

Beloved

Barkley was a solid LP that I enjoyed but I wouldn't put it in my top 5 favorites.

Speaking of top 5 LPs, in no particular:

Deadly Premonition
Eternal Darkness
Heavy Rain
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Walking Dead S1

So I just got Adblock, despite my moral objection, because fuck these banner ads crashing my browser. I will disable it for youtube videos and superbestfriendsplay.com and shit.
Barkley was a solid LP that I enjoyed but I wouldn't put it in my top 5 favorites.

Deadly Premonition
Eternal Darkness
Heavy Rain
Walking Dead S1

You aren't even wrong about these.

croten

Deadly Premonition
Eternal Darkness
Heavy Rain
Walking Dead S1

All of those are solid but I think Eternal Darkness was just okay.

There is nothing wrong with a game taking itself seriously, but at least make sure the events happening in the game match the tone.

I think my problem with this game is how it portrays its tone. I really liked the evil within until chapter 11. Chapter 12 was atrocious, and everything goes down the hill.

I can explain in more detail, but the amount of white bars are going to be huge. I also might be salty after finishing Akumu mode.

That mode made me hate this game

I personally haven't seen past likely tomorrow nights video where you meet
the first Doppelganger.
Only saw that because I hopped on a stream near release and saw it.

Don't bother explaining though. We'll all see in time. I am curious what you mean by how it portrays its tone though for what we've seen so far.

You haven't watched Deadly Premonition, bro.

And I don't plan to. I watched like 5 parts with you guys and I was bored out of my mind. I don't care for the game itself.

Xiraiya

Deadly Premonition
Eternal Darkness
Heavy Rain
Walking Dead S1

Mine in no real order

Deadly Premonition
Eternal Darkness
Walking Dead Season 1
Heavy Rain
I have no Mouth

Yakuza 4 (Honorable Mention)

As far as full completed games go.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. If it negatively affected your enjoyment of the game then that's unfortunate.

No, we don't have to agree to disagree. The boss is obtuse as fuck and communicates it's rules incredibly poorly. Even if, knowing that before hand, it'd be a tense and amazing fight, since you have little to no chance of discerning the authorial intent, it then becomes a frustrating mess of trial and error. And if it requires an incredibly specific playstyle, and forgoes any attempt at foreshadowing that, that's fucking awful. If it wanted stealth, it could have implied stealth. But it doesn't. So instant it portrays itself as a combat boss, despite straight combat being one of the worst things you can do to fight it. It's fucking garbage. Agree to disagree is when you don't wanna continue an argument, but I'll fucking continue it forever because you're wrong and that boss is fucking dogshit. Now I'm not mad at you at all, despite how this is coming out, but just jesus christ man. You don't want me to think it's a poor boss? Did you work on the game? Why do you care? The boss is fucking GARBAGE. If you liked it, that's fine, you seem to have lucked out into its exact pattern, but you did that on your own, the game didn't actually help you get there like it's supposed to.

Long story short the boss sucks.

Squishy3

There's nothing wrong with that when the encounter design and every single aspect of the game goes to shit after Chapter 9.

Probably my biggest disappointment in video games as of late.
Reading other people's opinions about the game past chapter 9 to me is really funny because I had no problems with the enemies you're talking about.

Like, based on the OT, I expected chapter 11 to be mind crushingly hard and I breezed through it without a problem.

Beloved

I have a soft spot for Eternal Darkness.

Speaking of, I wish they'd do an LP of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Watching Pat play through just the mansion part alone would be fucking radical.

No, we don't have to agree to disagree. The boss is obtuse as fuck and communicates it's rules incredibly poorly. Even if, knowing that before hand, it'd be a tense and amazing fight, since you have little to no chance of discerning the authorial intent, it then becomes a frustrating mess of trial and error. And if it requires an incredibly specific playstyle, and forgoes any attempt at foreshadowing that, that's fucking awful. If it wanted stealth, it could have implied stealth. But it doesn't. So instant it portrays itself as a combat boss, despite straight combat being one of the worst things you can do to fight it. It's fucking garbage. Agree to disagree is when you don't wanna continue an argument, but I'll fucking continue it forever because you're wrong and that boss is fucking dogshit. Now I'm not mad at you at all, despite how this is coming out, but just jesus christ man. You don't want me to think it's a poor boss? Did you work on the game? Why do you care? The boss is fucking GARBAGE. If you liked it, that's fine, you seem to have lucked out into its exact pattern, but you did that on your own, the game didn't actually help you get there like it's supposed to.

Long story short the boss sucks.

Conveyance is pretty fucking important, in my modest opinion.

sjay1994

I personally haven't seen past likely tomorrow nights video where you meet
the first Doppelganger.
Only saw that because I hopped on a stream near release and saw it.

Don't bother explaining though. We'll all see in time. I am curious what you mean by how it portrays its tone though for what we've seen so far.

And I don't plan to. I watched like 5 parts with you guys and I was bored out of my mind. I don't care for the game itself.

I'll explain it more in detail when they finish the playthrough. The best way I can explain it is that the story tone is serious, but the actual gameplay tone becomes incoherent. Not to mention
the story literally goes fucking no where and explains nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom