• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjay1994

Psycho Within The Resident Biohazard fans, how many more parts do you think the LP has left? I would love to be able to start it on this break.

If they are on chapter 10... I reckon at least 7-10 more vids depending how good pat is. The boss they are about to fight is a shit pusher.

So this boss fight is just shoot him, don't overthink it. It's amazing how the pendulum swings back and forth like this.

It's fucking bullshit. Some bosses are pure puzzles, but look like straight up fights. Some bosses are straight up fights, but have elements that look like puzzles. The boss fights in this game are awful.

sjay1994

It's fucking bullshit. Some bosses are pure puzzles, but look like straight up fights. Some bosses are straight up fights, but have elements that look like puzzles. The boss fights in this game are awful.

Remember how when this game was sent for review, bethesda sent pamphlets to reviewers on how to beat sections of the game?

Yeah, don't beat your self up.... the chapter 10 boss is not explained properly at all

I don't expect you guys to know what to do during the Amalgum Alpha or whatever this thing is called being that it's your first time, but just shooting it and staying in sight range of it the entire time makes the fight seem a lot shittier than it is.

The eyeball is supposed to hint to you that the boss can''t see you unless it already has a bead on you so you're supposed to hide from it and shoot the eye until it flips over and reveals the other mouth then you use something like Freeze or Shock bolts so you can get a good shot on the eye.

Granted the game could have explain that a bit better but I wouldn't say it's a shit fight. That second fight with Laura is garbage though.

Xiraiya

The way to kill that thing in the latest video really should have been only about shooting the heads off the corpses attached to him, I'm really disappointed that it didn't really matter if you did that because he'd go down with enough shots anyway.

On another note, come on with the instant kill complaints guys. It's not like it's the only moves each boss has. It's getting a bit much.

I didn't hear constant complaining about some bosses having instant kills in almost any other games you play.

I don't expect you guys to know what to do during the Amalgum Alpha or whatever this thing is called being that it's your first time, but just shooting it and staying in sight range of it the entire time makes the fight seem a lot shittier than it is.

The eyeball is supposed to hint to you that the boss can''t see you unless it already has a bead on you so you're supposed to hide from it and shoot the eye until it flips over and reveals the other mouth then you use something like Freeze or Shock bolts so you can get a good shot on the eye.

Granted the game could have explain that a bit better but I wouldn't say it's a shit fight. That second fight with Laura is garbage though.

What? The eyeball that only appears after you shoot it for most of the fight?! I saw that eyeball ONCE! And the boss destroys half the arena, how are you supposed to hide from it?

On another note, come on with the instant kill complaints guys. It's not like it's the only moves each boss has. It's getting a bit much.

I didn't hear constant complaining about some bosses having instant kills in almost any other games you play.

I think it's the fact that 30% of your screen is obscured and god help you if these enemies are behind him. Also that the bosses tend to move faster at their normal pace than even your sprint speed.

What? The eyeball that only appears after you shoot it for most of the fight?! I saw that eyeball ONCE! And the boss destroys half the arena, how are you supposed to hide from it?

My mistake, I should have clarified. I'm referring to the eyeball that comes out on the tendril.

Flash it and hide behind things like the pillars, cars and etc. Running to the other side while it's using an attack like that room grab works as well. Essentially just break line and sight and hide from it and it'll eventually use that eyeball tendril which you shoot to stun it and either unload on it or go hide and repeat. There's multiple ways to handle it. Whichever way works best for you.

The problem is that the bosses can ONLY kill you with their instant kills. I haven't died a single time to a bosses attack, always due to an instant kill move. With Laura, it's incredibly egregious because the letterboxing makes her invisible half the time. The bosses use their instant kill grabs to get you every time, which is weird because their regular attacks are pathetically weak. I don't complain about other games bosses having instant kills because it isn't their god damn primary method of attack. In RE4, the instant kills can only occur if you're at low health, and are just special animations off their regular attacks. RE5s bosses actually beat you down with damage, Wesker in particular being a great example. For fucks sake how can you possibly defend this.

My mistake, I should have clarified. I'm referring to the eyeball that comes out on the tendril.

Flash it and hide behind things like the pillars, cars and etc. Running to the other side while it's using an attack like that room grab works as well. Essentially just break line and sight and hide from it and it'll eventually use that eyeball tendril which you shoot to stun it and either unload on it or go hide and repeat. There's multiple ways to handle it. Whichever way works best for you.

Yeah, like I said, I saw that eyeball once. And how the hell are you supposed to know you can hide from it? Bosses can't seem to lose you otherwise, Laura always zooms in on you no matter what.

croten

Really? Because fair criticism in most games they play, especially Dark Souls 2.

Really? Because fair criticism in most games they play, especially Dark Souls 2.

You'll have to remind me because I honestly can't remember off the top of my head any one shot kills moves any of the DS2 bosses have unless you're simply talking about the Ancient Dragon.

Alfebit

Banned
Remember how when this game was sent for review, bethesda sent pamphlets to reviewers on how to beat sections of the game?

Yeah, don't beat your self up.... the chapter 10 boss is not explained properly at all

You can say that again. Some of you guys saw me struggle to understand what I had to do during my stream.

I remember the Giantbomb guys being told explicitly by Bethesda in the review materials to play the game on easy. That's a bad fucking sign. Likely because it'd avoid putting a spotlight on glaring design issues. The worst part is I really like Evil Within, but these bugs that get me killed, the controls, the letterboxing, the bosses, UGH.

Oh lawd, it is really interesting watching Pat and Matt play through TEW and it seems that we've come to the same conclusion with the game being at odds with itself.

It wants to be RE4-2 while also wanting to be Resident Evil and classic survivor horror but it ends up trying to be RE4-2 despite the gameplay being suited to a more Survival Horror type game.

Also, if you guys hate the gun wield enemies just wait till you get to Chapter 10+. In my opinion the game takes a sheer nosedive in enjoyment after chapter 9.

Clockwork Orange is a hell of a movie

It's probably one of the greatest cinematic masterpieces in history, then again that is a testament to Stanley Kubrick and his team.

Xiraiya

I don't really remember Instant kill bosses being so prevalent in any other game, hell even Dark Souls bosses weren't that bad about instant kills, most of them didn't have instant kills.

I mean when you get hit by a boss, it should be bad, but it shouldn't be like automatic death on every boss 50% of the time they get near you.

For fucks sake how can you possibly defend this.

Yeah, like I said, I saw that eyeball once. And how the hell are you supposed to know you can hide from it? Bosses can't seem to lose you otherwise, Laura always zooms in on you no matter what.

I can't defend the Laura fights and the letter boxing because you're completely right on that.

Yeah, that's what I mean by the game could have communicated it a bit better. The first time you have no way of knowing that because the initial instinct upon seeing it land down there with you isn't to stand behind the pillar but to run the fuck away. However, upon dying it starts the fight using the eyeball because you're hidden behind the pillar and it's sort of a subtle hint that maybe hiding from it might be a possibility.

You can say that again. Some of you guys saw me struggle to understand what I had to do during my stream.

Your stream is actually what helped me understand it.

sjay1994

Oh lawd, it is really interesting watching Pat and Matt play through TEW and it seems that we've come to the same conclusion with the game being at odds with itself.

It wants to be RE4-2 while also wanting to be Resident Evil and classic survivor horror but it ends up trying to be RE4-2 despite the gameplay being suited to a more Survival Horror type game.

Also, if you guys hate the gun wield enemies just wait till you get to Chapter 10+. In my opinion the game takes a sheer nosedive in enjoyment after chapter 9.

It's probably one of the greatest cinematic masterpieces in history, then again that is a testament to Stanley Kubrick and his team.

Wait till you get to chapter 12.... thats a fucking understatement and a half

Speaking of streams, thanks everyone who watched my horrible one! I dunno if I seemed as nervous as I was. I get why Woolie and Pat get so self conscious about fucking up, especially when YT comments yell at you.

Xiraiya

I remember the Giantbomb guys being told explicitly by Bethesda in the review materials to play the game on easy. That's a bad fucking sign. Likely because it'd avoid putting a spotlight on glaring design issues. The worst part is I really like Evil Within, but these bugs that get me killed, the controls, the letterboxing, the bosses, UGH.

By the time I play EW myself next year when I upgrade, I assume most of that stuff will be irrelevant on PC through patches and other work arounds, so I'm not particularly phased by that stuff.

mike0dude

Speaking of streams, thanks everyone who watched my horrible one! I dunno if I seemed as nervous as I was. I get why Woolie and Pat get so self conscious about fucking up, especially when YT comments yell at you.

Stream was already ruined the moment you shot that drawer to get that 1 bullet, everything else was a slow uphill climb. gg

It's very clear the game was rushed out. I lost my shit at not one, but BOTH of those textures just straight up disappearing during the most recent part. How the fuck was that not caught and fixed?

I can't say I've personally had any issues with the controls though the camera took some massive getting used to at the start. The letter
boxing seems like a minor annoyance at first but it's only once you get to sections involving Laura or Safe Man putting down his ground traps that it because a glaringly obvious issue that negatively impacts the game.

Yeah, that's what I mean by the game could have communicated it a bit better. The first time you have no way of knowing that because the initial instinct upon seeing it land down there with you isn't to stand behind the pillar but to run the fuck away. However, upon dying it starts the fight using the eyeball because you're hidden behind the pillar and it's sort of a subtle hint that maybe hiding from it might be a possibility

It could have communicated it better because it didn't communicate that fact at all. In the cutscenes and leading up to the fight, it's a big, lumbering brute that doesn't really seem to care about where it's smashing, just that it's following you. The flash of an eyeball tentacle really isn't enough to suggest everything that you did in your post, especially since he seems to run around and charge at the character regardless of position.

I think back to those blind brutes from Gears of War. Ignoring the fact that they had to put a line in about being quiet, everything about how that thing moves tells you that it can't really hone in on you unless you make noise. It swings around aimlessly unless you move too fast or fire a gun, at which point it charges. If you happen to dodge it, and go quiet again, it stops moving and goes back to an "inactive" state. THAT communicates that there is a trick with sight.

I've streamed before, and it went okay. The only part that didn't was the one I let my voice free.

I'm terrified that I'm going to get stuck on O&S, because I had the hubris to speak.

It could have communicated it better because it didn't communicate that fact at all. In the cutscenes and leading up to the fight, it's a big, lumbering brute that doesn't really seem to care about where it's smashing, just that it's following you. The flash of an eyeball tentacle really isn't enough to suggest everything that you did in your post, especially since he seems to run around and charge at the character regardless of position.

I dunno man, maybe I just have a weird thought pattern that makes me thinks of these things when I see stuff like that or maybe it's just because I love playing a game stealthily. I'm not going to say it was obvious what to do because it's clearly not but I do think it did give hints that you could tackle the fight stealthily if you wished.

croten

I think back to those blind brutes from Gears of War. Ignoring the fact that they had to put a line in about being quiet, everything about how that thing moves tells you that it can't really hone in on you unless you make noise. It swings around aimlessly unless you move too fast or fire a gun, at which point it charges. If you happen to dodge it, and go quiet again, it stops moving and goes back to an "inactive" state. THAT communicates that there is a trick with sight.

Replace brutes with the exact same enemy from RE4 that didn't even tell you it was blind but you still know anyway because of everything about it's design and build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom