• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liam got into another huge review score argument. Personally I think games should be scored with a dollar value. A bit extreme, but I think reviews as buyers guides need to go full throttle and get away from this reviewing it as art shit. Review it like it's a hammer or a car.

I don't think I've ever seen utilitarian reviews or reviewers for video games.

I can't see that as possible tbh.

But I'd be for a games site that places monetary numerical value scores on video games based on how much someone should spend.

Liam got into another huge review score argument. Personally I think games should be scored with a dollar value. A bit extreme, but I think reviews as buyers guides need to go full throttle and get away from this reviewing it as art shit. Review it like it's a hammer or a car.

I'm all for having 100 point scales in reviews, but I hate reviews that judge a game based off its price as well. Like it should be the buyers job to see if the game is worth their money based off the review. A review shouldn't factor that in, especially when those games drop in price.

The thing I've never really understood about that is that a review is based upon what that particular person thought about the product with their own experience with it. If I wanted to looking into getting something like a 970 (which I am ordering next week), should I trust the users reviews or the critic reviews? I got burned incredibly hard when I bought that R9 270x because all the official reviews made it seem like an incredibly deal for the price but if I'd bothered to look deeper into consumer reviews I would have seen that hundreds of people were having the exact issues I ended up having.

When it comes to games, sending something like Bayonetta 2 to two different reviewers may get wildly different scores. Give it to someone like TotalBiscuit and he'll likely praise the game because he loves them. Give it to someone like Adam Sessler and he'll shit on it because he doesn't understand it. Which one of these am I supposed to believe then?

That's gonna be an unpopular opinion. Because reviewers and critics are two different things and nobody knows that ever

Exactly. What we have now is game reviewers. What they want is critics. Liam and Woolie mentioned that reviews should last forever so when you read a review 10 years in the future it's still relevant. My counterpoint, that they disagreed with, is that a review becomes irrelevant a week after release because the price can change, and devs can fix problems. You should be punished for shipping a fucked up game with a bad review, and charging the price you thought it was worth. If you're reading the game 10 years in the future, you don't need a review to know what it's about. It's existed for 10 years, there's thousands or millions of hands on impressions.

The thing I've never really understood about that is that a review is based upon what that particular person thought about the product with their own experience with it. If I wanted to looking into getting something like a 970 (which I am ordering next week), should I trust the users reviews or the critic reviews? I got burned incredibly hard when I bought that R9 270x because all the official reviews made it seem like an incredibly deal for the price but if I'd bothered to look deeper into consumer reviews I would have seen that hundreds of people were having the exact issues I ended up having.

When it comes to games, sending something like Bayonetta 2 to two different reviewers may get wildly different scores. Give it to someone like TotalBiscuit and he'll likely praise the game because he loves them. Give it to someone like Adam Sessler and he'll shit on it because he doesn't understand it. Which one of these am I supposed to believe then?

You're supposed to find someone in the industry who aligns to your tastes. As of late, this has become harder and harder for people as reviewers age and their tastes change, which I think is part of the rise of people like us. Listening to Jeff become more and more jaded and just have the life sucked out of him by the business kills me. I think the last game I think he was genuinely excited about was Saints Row The Third.

Beloved

H-how much do you put in it? Like 3 or 4 packs?

It's like this

61PHNnkkTHL.jpg

Zenfalcia

I'm all for having 100 point scales in reviews, but I hate reviews that judge a game based off its price as well. Like it should be the buyers job to see if the game is worth their money based off the review. A review shouldn't factor that in, especially when those games drop in price.

But then you have stuff like people judging games like a $60 game when it's only $15 like korra.

It's like this

What is this witchcraft! I've never seen it. Yeah, it's probably not healthy at all.

MormaPope

Banned
DS2 does a way, way, way better job. RE4 is one of the greatest games of all time and if I had to rate TEW right now I'd give it a 6. DS1 and DS2 are both tens. It's just the rating system isn't suited to differentiating between two tens like DS1 and DS2.

The biggest fault Dark Souls 2 is that fucking forest door/gateway, the pile of rubble being what impedes the protagonist is a boner killer narratively. Dark Souls 1 almost had something like that, with the door in the garden/forest area requiring a seal, because it wouldn't be challenging for anybody to slash their way through some bushes and shrubs. But that door requires a magical seal, so that area being blocked off with magic can be inferred.

You're way too generous on DS2. I'd definitely put it around a 7 where DS1 is basically a 10

The mob combat was better in Dark Souls 2, the boss battles were better in Dark Souls 1, those are the biggest differences design wise.

Well looks like I walked in on some shit.

So did anything hype happen when I was gone? Someone please tell me DMC5.

Please?

Please.

Just got announced an hour ago while we were at work. Its being made by Itsuno, but being developed by Sony Santa Monica. In a statement they said

We are very pleased to take all the knowledge we have from making God of War and put all those best elements into a new DMC. We'll strive to do our best to make it half as good as DmC

Fuck youuuuu

Beloved

Exactly. What we have now is game reviewers. What they want is critics. Liam and Woolie mentioned that reviews should last forever so when you read a review 10 years in the future it's still relevant. My counterpoint, that they disagreed with, is that a review becomes irrelevant a week after release because the price can change, and devs can fix problems. You should be punished for shipping a fucked up game with a bad review, and charging the price you thought it was worth. If you're reading the game 10 years in the future, you don't need a review to know what it's about. It's existed for 10 years, there's thousands or millions of hands on impressions.

You're not wrong.

croten

I think he means that the reviewers give what they think the game is worth as a score.

Xiraiya

I have a lot of thoughts about game reviews, especially after listening to a few years worth of Giant Bombcast and hearing more of that side of things. However in my opinion I don't think reviewing systems for games can ever really be fixed in a way that is also practical, I think the best that anyone can hope for is finding something resembling a middle ground.

If, for example, I was a game reviewer, I would approach each game differently, because to me each one is an experience of it's own, and things like framerates aren't something I could honestly mark a game down for if I thought the concept or overall execution of the game it's self was quite good, mechanical issues in a game can always be fixed, but you can't fix a story's issues once that game is done and out (Without expansions/DLC anyway).

MormaPope

Banned
Saw that.

Don't believe it.

Phil just wants to have brain damage now. He's not UFC ready, like at all. He'll get his ass beat the same way kimbo slice did.

I think UFC fighters fight sparingly throughout the year, whereas WWE required him to perform all the time and get tossed around a lot more. UFC is a huge step up safety wise.

But then you have stuff like people judging games like a $60 game when it's only $15 like korra.

Reviews should have the price listed as not to confuse the viewer, but it shouldn't be factored into the actual review and score.

The mob combat was better in Dark Souls 2, the boss battles were better in Dark Souls 1, those are the biggest differences design wise.

I'm tired of having this discussion. I've probably had one per OT on why I think DS2 is garbage.

Zenfalcia

You mean more like this?
Turn down the volume first then watch it.

Reviews should have the price listed as not to confuse the viewer, but it shouldn't be factored into the actual review and score.

But i feel like the reviewer should at least have the mind set that the game they are playing can't compare a low budget title to a high budget title.

croten

I have a lot of thoughts about game reviews, especially after listening to a few years worth of Giant Bombcast and hearing more of that side of things. However in my opinion I don't think reviewing systems for games can ever really be fixed in a way that is also practical, I think the best that anyone can hope for is finding something resembling a middle ground.

If, for example, I was a game reviewer, I would approach each game differently, because to me each one is an experience of it's own, and things like framerates aren't something I could honestly mark a game down for if I thought the concept or overall execution of the game it's self was quite good, mechanical issues in a game can always be fixed, but you can't fix a story's issues once that game is done and out (Without expansions/DLC anyway).
I disagree completely. If a game is buggy at launch it should reflect that in the review. It is unacceptable to release a game like that. On Framerate I don't think a game should be marked down for being 30 unless it's a fighting game, FPS or character action game.

I'm tired of having this discussion. I've probably had one per OT on why I think DS2 is garbage.

Garbage is absurd. It's a fantastic game, it just doesn't hit the insanely high bar of it's predecessor. That's like saying, if Mario 2 had never come out, and instead our Mario 3 was Mario 2, then when Doki Doki came out as Mario 3, because it doesn't hit that same absurd height, that that game is garbage. You're being ridiculous, and I should know, because I'm a ridiculous guy who says ridiculous shit all the time. Also, if you're tired of having the discussion, then don't bring it up.

He's so contradictory it's hilarious.

You're supposed to find someone in the industry who aligns to your tastes. As of late, this has become harder and harder for people as reviewers age and their tastes change, which I think is part of the rise of people like us. Listening to Jeff become more and more jaded and just have the life sucked out of him by the business kills me. I think the last game I think he was genuinely excited about was Saints Row The Third.

That's been my belief as of late as well. The only downside to that is that if I look for someone that has similar taste as I do to get input on a game I might be interested in, there may end up being some bias on a game that's actually not that great. Does that make them, and me, wrong? This is why I don't like the scoring system. I much prefer people like you guys where you just play the game and express your likes and dislikes about it because I learn far more about the game that way than I do from watching or reading a 5 minute review with a score at the end.

The problem people are gonna counter that with is that there needs to be a way for everyone who's not actually into this stuff to find out what games to buy, but then that just goes back to the idea of reviews as price tags rather than artistic criticisms. It's a matter of just because something leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth doesn't mean it's not the best solution.

Xiraiya

I disagree completely. If a game is buggy at launch it should reflect that in the review. It is unacceptable to release a game like that. On Framerate I don't think a game should be marked down for being 30 unless it's a fighting game, FPS or character action game.

Don't misunderstand, I wouldn't just not mention those things, because people should be aware, it would be irresponsible otherwise.

However, as for what would go into my "scoring" of a game, issues like that would have much less bearing than other areas, if something is completely broken and doesn't work, there's nothing you can score at that point obviously.

Garbage is absurd. It's a fantastic game, it just doesn't hit the insanely high bar of it's predecessor. That's like saying, if Mario 2 had never come out, and instead our Mario 3 was Mario 2, then when Doki Doki came out as Mario 3, because it doesn't hit that same absurd height, that that game is garbage. You're being ridiculous, and I should know, because I'm a ridiculous guy who says ridiculous shit all the time. Also, if you're tired of having the discussion, then don't bring it up.

The problem is, is that DeS and DS1 do exist. I totally agree, on its own its an amazing game, but unfortunately they do, and I'm gonna be even harsher than normal on it because of that. And sorry if I didn't clarify by saying its garbage compared to DS1 and DeS.

And you're totally right, I shouldn't bring it up anymore. That game just pisses me off with all the stuff it does wrong.

And yes, I'm a ridiculous person lol. I hate a lot of things. That's just what happens when I've been gaming for a long time. Its easy to hate things after a while

Beloved

I basically do rate games in my own mind in a "This is what I'd pay for it" kind of way, so that concept makes sense to me.

croten

Don't misunderstand, I wouldn't just not mention those things, because people should be aware, it would be irresponsible otherwise.

However, as for what would go into my "scoring" of a game, issues like that would have much less bearing than other areas, if something is completely broken and doesn't work, there's nothing you can score at that point obviously.

Which is why it's gets a big fat 0 and I move onto something that works.

Xiraiya

The problem is, is that DeS and DS1 do exist. I totally agree, on its own its an amazing game, but unfortunately they do, and I'm gonna be even harsher than normal on it because of that. And sorry if I didn't clarify by saying its garbage compared to DS1 and DeS.
And you're totally right, I shouldn't bring it up anymore. That game just pisses me off with all the stuff it does wrong.

It does a lot of things wrong, but I think overtime, as I've come to terms with Dark Souls 2, I appreciate it for what it is a little more as time goes on.

Thing is, it's now the MO of big name publishers to shove a buggy product out the door, patch day 1, and hope the trailers and reviews keep the company and IP afloat.

You see the same thing in SaaS businesses: shove the MVP out the door and iterate based on bugs/demand. Test and iterate.

I'm fucking sick of buying bugged day 1 products.

And yes, I'm a ridiculous person lol. I hate a lot of things. That's just what happens when I've been gaming for a long time. Its easy to hate things after a while

Here's the thing though. You wanna compare DS2? You don't JUST compare it to it's own franchise. You compare it to the entire gaming landscape at the time of it's release. DS2, despite its huge flaws, is still likely my GOTY because it was so much better than almost anything else I played the entire year. It's absurd for me then to say the game is a 7/10, but the best, compared to other games I'd rate as 9s.

But don't you love the things you love all the more? You've become an enthusiast and a connoisseur. Don't feel bad abut that.

croten

Thing is, it's now the MO of big name publishers to shove a buggy product out the door, patch day 1, and hope the trailers and reviews keep the company and IP afloat.

You see the same thing in SaaS businesses: shove the MVP out the door and iterate based on bugs/demand. Test and iterate.

I'm fucking sick of buying bugged day 1 products.

Yeah so am I. It does seem to be mostly AAA games that do this however, I assume because they can get away with it and to keep up with that annual release.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm anxious and fearful of the Bloodborne review thread that'll pop up in the future. Miyazaki fucking up a souls game is highly improbable, but any issues that are addressed will either enrage Souls fans and cause a bloodbath where some people will want to burn down IGN's headquarters. Or some will claim that the Souls series peaked with Dark Souls 1 or Demon Souls and that Bloodborne is a terrible game.

Or I'll be wrong and there will be a nice, even, middle ground.

Beloved

Like with most things, you need balance but you're never going to have a "perfect" review system. It can be improved sure, but you'll always have to take them with a grain of salt.

Honestly though if someone does an in depth review of a game, and then a major patch is released or fixes are made later, that review should be updated to reflect the changes made, because the previous review is now moot.

And if you aren't dedicated enough to do that, get another job pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom