• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenfalcia

On the topic of day one impression reviews, should there be reviews of.. let's say after patch reviews? Do they even exist?

Reviews are just day one impressions. Treating them with any more weight than a writeup by a joe schmoe isn't gonna make anyone happy.

Nah, your thing is just super off topic. I just think it's a little inappopriate when there's so much other discussion going on, but maybe that's just me.

I just wanna talk about vidyagamez tho

Unless you like/trust the person writing the review.

Yeah, i guess it's just us/some of us being silly? :p We can have both happening at the same time.

So I saw this video, the caption said something about being posted on a cosplay page on facebook. It's pretty much slapstick comedy. -x-

Why? It's.. so random.. :l

croten

I didnt say it shouldnt be reflected?

Obviously the initial review should mention any issues. But if they care enough to make fixes or release a major patch in a reasonable amount of time, those initial reviews have been nullified within a relatively short amount of time as well.

I'll use a dumb example that makes my point. People were pissed Sims4 didnt have pools. Sims4 now does have pools, and this happened within a few months of release. Therefore the lack of pools shouldnt have any bearing on current reviews.

Games get reviewed the day they come out so that you can learn weather or not it's good. 4 months later a review isn't necessary
Anyone want a Steam copy of Sonic Racing Transformed? First to quote gets it.

Sure

Shackzam

I believe since there is no overarching "complex" story tied to it, its way more interesting than a David Cage game. It's like Night Trap in a way. It's more in the moment of trying to survive in a horror movie. Actually, it takes the tropes from horror movies and embodies them into video game form, so you can't talk smack about her decisions like when discussing horror movies.

That actually makes a lot of sense. When I was watching it, I actually felt like I wanted to play it and felt excited when they were given an option to chose a different path to actually see if she makes it.

On the topic of day one impression reviews, should there be reviews of.. let's say after patch reviews? Do they even exist?

Ehhh, it really depends how fast it gets patched. Like if its half a year after it comes out, no one is really gonna an old review that far down the line. There will probably be plenty of youtube videos showing a way better look at the game, than an old review could.

Yeah, i guess it's just us/some of us being silly? :p We can have both happening at the same time.
Some sites update their reviews from what I've heard, but those are for adding additional content such as Minecraft. I'm OK with after patch reviews. Just don't let the first review count for metacritic.

I don't think we should be silly when actual discussion is happening. It ruins the moment and people turn away from discussion.

Games are way harder to make then they were back then and publishers want it now! now! now! Its not fair to put all the blame on the developers, unless when its specifically their fault.

You say it's a publisher problem, but I'd say the publishers are stretching many developers thin and developers are just taking it.

MormaPope

Banned
What bothers me is how radically different a game can be from day 1 to last day of server support.

Last gen had too many games that were broken out the box, but we should be at the point where the product ready to shipped isn't requiring a day 1 update.

Master Chief Collection not having proper working matchmaking is dogshit unacceptable!

Thinking about these things just pisses me the fuck off!!!!

I feel last gen was a lot more consistent when it came to a game working day one, server issues is another issue entirely. Microsoft originally enforced really low memory patching, under 4MB or 2MB, meaning that if a dev fucked up they would have to pay a boatload of cash to fix issues. That system isn't beneficial for the developer, because they'll have to do a lot of crunch work to make sure that game is good and ready. But games worked, day one issues would be typical gamey glitches.

Even towards the end of last gen was consistent. Games being hilariously borked out of the gate has been way more prevalent this gen.

Incorporating future fixes, patches, support, etc into reviews requires updating them for no benefit on behalf of the 'journalist' or the company, so it really won't happen.
I'd really appreciate it if you guys didn't, though. Like croten and I agreed, it's fine if nothing else is happening, but please. It's hurting real discussion.

Reviews feel so pointless to me personally. Like I LOVE giant bomb and their content, but I wouldn't touch any of their reviews with a 10 foot stick. I'd much rather hear their thoughts on the game in a quick look, or especially on the bombcast when they go into detail about what they thought after they finished it, without talking about their score.

Exactly.

Xiraiya

I don't know why you guys of all people are getting pissy about "lewd" topics appearing in this thread when it's been at least 40% of what this community has been for as long as I've known it, it was started as a joke anyway because someone pointed out that it was funny there was serious discussion.

And you say lot say I don't know what fun is, well you say I'm negative too but most of you come across far more cynical and grumpy at different times, so I'm not surprised.

But why do we gamers keep doing this to ourselves?

I don't want to be sold on trailers or stock game footage and get unstable dogshit day 1! I want the finished product! That shit was less acceptable when your console wasn't always online 24/7.
Because we, as gamers, are a flawed subculture. We bitch and moan about things all the time, but it's never productive, because it's always at each other.

NPD threads are the number one example of this. Instead of people using the thread as a sample on the market interest, and wondering how this will affect future strategy, all we get are purchase justifying assholes barge in, and shit all over the thread.

The casuals don't care enough to complain. All they want is self gratification, and the largest makers in the industry are delivering it to them in spades.

The hardcore don't have a voice, and when we do, either the casual defence force, or gaming journalism shuts us down.

It's a cycle of bullshit that we can not escape, unless garbage stops getting bought. But, alas, garbage will be bought, and forgotten about in two weeks, as the publisher unveils a new shiny piece of new DLC. It's disgusting, but that's the nature of today.

ultimax

I believe since there is no overarching "complex" story tied to it, its way more interesting than a David Cage game. It's like Night Trap in a way. It's more in the moment of trying to survive in a horror movie. Actually, it takes the tropes from horror movies and embodies them into video game form, so you can't talk smack about her decisions like when discussing horror movies.
That clown in the trailer got me pretty good.

Beloved

I don't think we should be silly when actual discussion is happening. It ruins the moment and people turn away from discussion.

But tbf can make dick jokes whilst also pointing out the good/bad parts of a game.

Come on bro. If you havent noticed, people are still discussing things just fine

croten

I don't know why you guys of all people are getting pissy about "lewd" topics appearing in this thread when it's been at least 40% of what this community has been for as long as I've known it, it was started as a joke anyway because someone pointed out that it was funny there was serious discussion.

And you say lot say I don't know what fun, well you say I'm negative too but most of you come across far more cynical and grumpy at different times, so I'm not surprised.

It's wasn't the nature of the topic it was that we were actually pretty heavily on topic for once and deliberately being asked to go off topic. We are usually off topic when the thread is dead or there hasn't been a video in a while which is a better time for it.

And you say lot say I don't know what fun, well you say I'm negative too but most of you come across far more cynical and grumpy at different times, so I'm not surprised.

It's just the timing and that it got out of hand, I'm not actually pointing fingers or that upset, I'm just asking everyone to avoid it in the future. The joke became reality because some people run away with it.
Anyone want a Steam copy of Sonic Racing Transformed? First to quote gets it.

Pay forward my kindness! Aw yiss.

Xiraiya

But tbf can make dick jokes whilst also pointing out the good/bad parts of a game.
Come on bro. If you havent noticed, people are still discussing things just fine

Most of this community is younger than us by at least few years, so they'll swing in their views more frequently and wildly, it happens.

We're a Two Best Friends Play thread. Thick ropy streams are the norm here, and that's the way it is.

And you say lot say I don't know what fun is, well you say I'm negative too but most of you come across far more cynical and grumpy at different times, so I'm not surprised.
At our core we're all a bunch of angry Pats. It's just that some of us get there faster than others.

You say it's a publisher problem, but I'd say the publishers are stretching many developers thin and developers are just taking it.

When a company is the one funding your game, what do you say? "Fuck you? The game still needs more time." Or "we don't have enough people working on it, spend more of your money to get us help." That's not gonna go over well. If its actually the developer's fault for making bad timing then they deserve the shit they get.

You know what I just realized? I'm still mad at Woolie and Liam for that Psychiatrist joke. That's not what a psychiatrist is, you stupid bastards!

Most of this community is younger than us by at least few years, so they'll swing in their views more frequently and wildly, it happens.

You both sure get defensive and condescending right quick anytime someone calls you out on something.
I guess that comes with being old.

shrug-shrugging-leo-dicaprio-revolutionary-road.gif

croten

They are but there is no point in trying to change topic when we are on topic. That's all. This isn't the "Let's try and be the best friends thread". We got moved to community for a reason.

Tako

I got a copy of DS2 Black Armor Editon w/ Collector's Edition Guide for the PS3 if anyone wants. I already have a digital copy and I'm really not a big fan of DS and I figure I can send it to a true fan

When a company is the one funding your game, what do you say? "Fuck you? The game still needs more time." Or "we don't have enough people working on it, spend more of your money to get us help." That's not gonna go over well. If its actually the developer's fault for making bad timing then they deserve the shit they get.
While sometimes, developers are in the wrong, but a vast majority of the tome, the publishers are the hands that bite. We saw this EA. We seen this with Sega. We seen this woth Ubi. Publishers can be both cruel and kind, especially when it comes to capital.

Zenfalcia

Ehhh, it really depends how fast it gets patched. Like if its half a year after it comes out, no one is really gonna an old review that far down the line. There will probably be plenty of youtube videos showing a way better look at the game, than an old review could.

It's probably asking too much from the reviewer to keep up with it and judge it based on a game after a patch. I'm thinking of it from a future life span thing? Let's say steam sale comes out and someone wants to check out the game but they find out reviews say it's horrible on day 1. Then there are patches fix all those problems months after the review. It's a very niche situation/crowd to appeal to.

Some sites update their reviews from what I've heard, but those are for adding additional content such as Minecraft. I'm OK with after patch reviews. Just don't let the first review count for metacritic.

Really? I never knew. Do they update their review on metacritic? or does it only take the day one review?

Eh, sure. Both could happen, but this isn't quite a chat.. A chat would make it even more confusing.. having 3 discussions at one. It's not too bad once you get used to it.

Incorporating future fixes, patches, support, etc into reviews requires updating them for no benefit on behalf of the 'journalist' or the company, so it really won't happen.
Yeah. What about DLC? Are there reviews for that? I'm trying to talk about any future content added or fixes being possibly reviewed. I'm also well aware they gain nothing for updating reviews or doing reviews of new versions of the game.

While sometimes, developers are in the wrong, but a vast majority of the tome, the publishers are the hands that bite. We saw this EA. We seen this with Sega. We seen this woth Ubi. Publishers can be both cruel and kind, especially when it comes to capital.

And don't even get me started on Bethesda.

I feel last gen was a lot more consistent when it came to a game working day one, server issues is another issue entirely. Microsoft originally enforced really low memory patching, under 4MB or 2MB, meaning that if a dev fucked up they would have to pay a boatload of cash to fix issues. That system isn't beneficial for the developer, because they'll have to do a lot of crunch work to make sure that game is good and ready. But games worked, day one issues would be typical gamey glitches.

Even towards the end of last gen was consistent. Games being hilariously borked out of the gate has been way more prevalent this gen.

Sure, but I remember there being issues with CoD online game imbalances(noobtubes), NBA Live no longer exists because EA can't manage to make a competent basketball game, and Simcity being a mess on release.

It's not just MS and I'm not singling Them out, although now knowing that they attempt to fix the issue is reassuring. It's the crazy race to the bottom where reviews can push a game DOA and where true costs of video games are not reflected in a flat 60 dollar price. I'm frankly getting real tired of it.

It's probably asking too much from the reviewer to keep up with it and judge it based on a game after a patch. I'm thinking of it from a future life span thing? Let's say steam sale comes out and someone wants to check out the game but they find out reviews say it's horrible on day 1. Then there are patches fix all those problems months after the review. It's a very niche situation/crowd to appeal to.

It is, but if someone is buying a game that's months old. Chances are that they care enough about that game to do research or already know about it being patched up and fixed. It would be a very niche appeal, but I could actually see a website doing something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom