• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Ruvik, I actually really like him as an antagonist. Granted I still don't know his entire deal yet as I'm watching as you guys go along (slightly behind in my own game).

What does everyone else think about him as a villain?

I think he's cool, I just wish we got to see him in action more. Usually he just appears, does/says menacing things then peaces out. They might be saving him for the final boss, but I'd like to see him more than in flashbacks or documents.

JoJo94

I'm the ghost of Friender past.

On another note, Liam's optimism during the VGAs has no boundaries. Indie teasers that show almost nothing? "That looks cool." His optimism is so optimistic it almost hurts.

Then that makes Phantom the ghost of Frienders Preset. Lol, nice to see you in here man.

Yeah he's the optimist to the point where it can be a fault. However, I am highly enjoying his rage over the Mobil/handheld category thing.

sjay1994

Speaking of Ruvik, I actually really like him as an antagonist. Granted I still don't know his entire deal yet as I'm watching as you guys go along (slightly behind in my own game).

His voice is excellent. Thats it.

Prepare for disappointment.

Gamer Y

I like him, lest design-wise with the scars and hood-shirt deal, very outside normal villain fashion. Not sure about the rest, he looks cool to me though.

I not only beat it, I discovered that Capcom actually wasted a shitload of money to give the appearance that there was more game than there actually was. If you start the game as Lucia and then pop the tray and insert Dantes disc, you can still play as Lucia and go through her levels as normal because character selection is hard coded into the disc instead of being a toggle. It's absurd.

Oh my god. Oh my god.

They made a second disc for no reason other than for show.

Right?

My biggest problem with TEW is it stops being a survival horror game, and instead becomes a shitty action game in those chapters.

It's aping RE4 so directly that it's unbelievable. And doing so very poorly. That church entrance with the arrowguns is probably the single worst room in the entire game after the monster generating slow ass cart ride though.

My condolences for you.
It's okay, I beat both in like less than a day, or would have if I hadn't stopped after I beat Dante's in 4 hours and it left me feeling empty
Sigh, I wish. Yeah I played that shit.
How far did you get?
I not only beat it, I discovered that Capcom actually wasted a shitload of money to give the appearance that there was more game than there actually was. If you start the game as Lucia and then pop the tray and insert Dantes disc, you can still play as Lucia and go through her levels as normal because character selection is hard coded into the disc instead of being a toggle. It's absurd.
Wow that's a load of shit. Why didn't they just DMC3 that shit and have you choose at the beginning?

croten

I remember when I was a kid my friend had DMC1 so I asked my mum to get it for me. She was in the shop and phoned me saying that there was DMC 1 and 2 and which one I wanted. I was a stupid kid.
How far did you get?

Oh I finished it. All of it. No idea why though

MormaPope

Banned
Coming from RE4, Ruvik is a D tier antagonist visually.

latest

latest

latest

Ramon_Salazar.jpg

sjay1994

It's aping RE4 so directly that it's unbelievable. And doing so very poorly. That church entrance with the arrowguns is probably the single worst room in the entire game after the monster generating slow ass cart ride though.

People have no right to get on your case comparing it to RE4. It fucking rips scenes and scenarios out of it, but does it so poorly most of the time.

Not to mention it apes it, but leaves out things that make RE4's gameplay fantastic, or has an alternative that's just really poor in comparison.

Beloved

From everything I've seen so far, he's one of the better aspects of the game

Xiraiya

"All that's gonna matter is if the story is good." - Liam talking about The Order.
Liam... *facepalm*
Well, the order wasn't really "gameplay" heavy last I saw, it looked to be mostly QTE sort of stuff with minimal gameplay, so if that's the case, he's not really wrong.

Coming from RE4, Ruvik is a D tier antagonist visually.
I like Ruvik's look more than any of the RE4 villains, they still look cool, but I like Ruvik's design better.

I remember when I was a kid my friend had DMC1 so I asked my mum to get it for me. She was in the shop and phoned me saying that there was DMC 1 and 2 and which one I wanted. I was a stupid kid.

Oh I finished it. All of it. No idea why though

At least you got to see Dante riding a motorcycle he pulled out his ass in hell and Lucia waiting to get the D at his place

sjay1994

The Order isn't an Adventure Game. Telltale isn't making it.

If the game play sucks, it won't matter if the story is amazing.

Bloodborne is the only Victorian game I want. The order just seems to miss the point as to why people like stuff like uncharted and TLOU, and is just trying to be "cinematic.

And ubi needs to do ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOT to win me over on AC victory over the shit show that was unity.

On terms of adventure games Until Dawn looks cool though. I hope they do an LP for it on the channel.

MormaPope

Banned
Well, the order wasn't really "gameplay" heavy last I saw, it looked to be mostly QTE sort of stuff with minimal gameplay, so if that's the case, he's not really wrong.

I like Ruvik's look more than any of the RE4 villains, they still look cool, but I like Ruvik's design better.

The RE villains all come across as threatening in different ways, Ruvik comes across as threatening because he has voodoo esque powers, his visual appearance is whatever. Salazar isn't threatening at all because hes such a little shit, so fighting him felt really satisfying.

I honestly though Saddler and Salazar were complete shit.

Saddler got that spiked dick tentacle though.

I can understand his optimism for games but saying something like that for a game that's clearly not an adventure game is just plain ignorant.

We were talking the other day and he mentioned that such and such a game is likely in development because there's no proof against it and I was like fucking amazed that he actually thinks like that. Remember Megaman? How Capcom is secretly working on a new megaman because it'd be a good idea?

If the actual gameplay sections turn out to be garbage, it's going to be a pain to play just for the cutscenes, diminishing overall enjoyment. Aim at both, not one.

The Order isn't an Adventure Game. Telltale isn't making it.
If the game play sucks, it won't matter if the story is amazing.
I get that terrible gameplay sections would hurt it, but it just looks mediocre. Like Uncharted 1, but more railroaded. It's gonna be extra boring and nothing if the story sucks, but if it's alright-to-pretty good it'll be a lot better overall.

We were talking the other day and he mentioned that such and such a game is likely in development because there's no proof against it and I was like fucking amazed that he actually thinks like that. Remember Megaman? How Capcom is secretly working on a new megaman because it'd be a good idea?

That new Megaman game already came out. What do you think Smash Bros is?

It's his optimism. It's nice to hope those things are happening, but doing so is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's just like I was saying earlier with people being delusional thinking that DMC5 was going to show up this weekend, let alone even be a thing.

Man TGA makes me really angry at the fact they showcase their mobile/handheld nominees, but not the fighting games...

It was really cool to see Monument Valley tho. I don't think I would have known about that game if I didn't see it there.

His look is alright, I don't like anything else about him.

Xiraiya

It shouldn't play like a game then.
I know I could word that better but you should know what I mean.

If I played a game that had a great story but the gameplay sections were iffy but few and far between because it's a story/QTE based game, then obviously I'm not going to care/dwell on the gameplay compared to the story, if the game is an actual game with mechanics and proper gameplay and all that kind of stuff, that would be a different story.

However the Order so far has shown me minimal *actual* gameplay aside from walking here and there, and then QTE stuff.

That's why Liam has a valid point, at that point even if those gameplay moments are great, it's not going to be worth dealing with a subpar story for those moments, but if the story is great with some janky gameplay moments, then it's totally tolerable, it just wouldn't be much of a game.

That moment I notice the MURIKA flag in Pat's chair.

Keeping Matt there in spirit.

Is there any nonsensical boss things that I should know beforehand to save myself tons of recording time like Alphas gimmick

It's starting to sound kind of like the DS2 LP where you guys just want to finish the game as fast as possible. Not enjoying it anymore?

Plan to try some NG+ once you guys actually finish it for the LP?

sjay1994

I get that terrible gameplay sections would hurt it, but it just looks mediocre. Like Uncharted 1, but more railroaded. It's gonna be extra boring and nothing if the story sucks, but if it's alright-to-pretty good it'll be a lot better overall.

Considering the majority of what they talk about is how cinematic the game is, and how amazing their story is.... that story better be amazing.

Because the gameplay is boring as fuck....

I played the demo they had before PSX, and ugh that game is a bore to play.

I've said this before, RAD is great at taking another companies IP and making something from that. They made the best GOW game IMO, actually made Kratos not a shit character in both of them. They are pretty good at stories.

But they don't have a good grasp on what to do with gameplay on their own.

MormaPope

Banned

So that could mean that Cowboy Bebop, an open world space game developed by Rockstar, with all the bounties and story bits put into the game, and the soundtrack done by Yoko Kanno, is in the works? That line of reasoning could justify any idea that sounds interesting ever, I mean that's obvious, but assertions of all kinds have merit and the lack thereof.

E the Shaggy

Is there any nonsensical boss things that I should know beforehand to save myself tons of recording time like Alphas gimmick

Not really.

Ruvik's final form is fairly straight forward, its practically just QTEs/Rocket Launcher shenanigans.

There's a bunch of waves prior to him and 2 BudSafemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom