• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenfalcia

Man why the fuck did I read Evil Within comments. This is a bummer. It's like this on Dark Souls too. Walking Dead as well. People seem to basically lose their shit if we either aren't doing great, or if we don't like something. I'm seeing a ton of comments about people raging that everything I complained about in 23 was my fault, despite the fact that i was dealing with magic doors, instant shooting enemies, and ammo prompts that would literally disappear inside the letterbox. I guess we have to pick LPs a lot more carefully because this can't possibly be good for the channel.

it's not like everyone has the same opinion. For all you know the negative comments are the very vocal minority, either way you're not going to please everyone. How has been the subscriber/view statistics been for the last series/video?

The first youtube video I ever uploaded was about a glitch I encountered in 007 Quantum of Solace, where my character when switching weapons would automatically throw his hands in the air and shake everytime i pulled the trigger. I called it Nazi bond.

one of the only comments I got on the video was a dude calling me an idiot for misrepresenting the Nazi salute.

It taught me that there is no value in reading YT comments....

I think he's the idiot for being the guy looking for videos on Nazi salutes... Sorry that happened.

Honestly, you're doing fine. People in the youtube comments seem to get incredibly butthurt when you don't do things as perfectly as they pretend they did.

The worry is more or less that the quality is decreasing and that's causing the swell in negativity. And considering I rely on people caring to make a living, it's worrying. Seriously worrying.

I do the music thing since it helps me write for whatever reason, not checking this place every little bit to stave off boredom would kill me though.

Oh man don't check out comments, as bad as that sounds. At least not on youtube, your site seems a lot more civil though I don't know if it's gotten bad recently. Don't be afraid to do an LP just because of what the comments might think. True games that are entirely story like in Walking Dead is a guarantee to get that shit, but anything else just do what you'd enjoy. Remember that the people that lose their shit are the few hardcore anal people, most of us can calm the fuck down and enjoy your stuff.

We'd never not do something because of the comments, that's absurd, if that was the case we would never have thought to do Dark Souls, but the worry is that the actual quality is decreasing and that's worrying.

As much as you'd think it'd help, I don't think it's a good idea either, if just for the handful of regular commenters.

YT comments might be 90% shit, but that 10% is encouraging, (and channels that disable comments just feel weird when I go to them, but maybe I'm just crazy since I've used the site for 7 years)

People don't realize how callus and how nasty their words are and tend to hide behind anonymity.

There are plenty of other outlets to comment that aren't YouTube comments though.

The worry is more or less that the quality is decreasing and that's causing the swell in negativity. And considering I rely on people caring to make a living, it's worrying. Seriously worrying.

We'd never not do something because of the comments, that's absurd, if that was the case we would never have thought to do Dark Souls, but the worry is that the actual quality is decreasing and that's worrying.

There's nothing wrong with the quality. If anything the only thing you need to worry about when choosing games to LP is the actual game. We all love these really obtuse games we'd otherwise never really take a glance at, but at the same time you always need current stuff to help bring in newer viewers. Can't keep the exact same audience forever.

And that's exactly what you guys are doing now, so just keep at it and I think you're fine.

Zenfalcia

Quality of the LP or quality of the people watching?

Your content isn't going to shit, the evil within LP is a very good lets play and it has made me not want to buy the game if that means anything.

Quality of gameplay or video quality?

Honestly, your video quality is much better than most video game channels.

Gameplay... The best solution is to not do double blind runs.

Alfebit

Banned

The quality of your videos? Dark Souls has only gotten better since Woolie got good. I look forward to each episode and I'm going to miss watching Woolie get hype over boss' like the Burnt Ivory King.

Your content isn't going to shit, the evil within LP is a very good lets play and it has made me not want to buy the game if that means anything.

The LP made me *buy* the game.

I got gifted it, but I would have bought it if I didn't.

I can see why some people dislike that, but I prefer it this way.

For example, I love the DS2 LP but there are times it gets a little frustrating at how quickly Pat will tell Woolie a solution to something. I love seeing peoples first experiences to a game/show/etc.

Quality of gameplay or video quality?

Honestly, your video quality is much better than most video game channels.

We try to avoid double blind, but every now and then there's something that we really want to do and be part of the Zeitgeist. It used to be that our raw reactions would be appreciated, but now it seems to be less so and that the frustration at our foibles seems to increase. You're probably right. I really wanted to try out Bloodborne too.

I can only comment my opinion, but like since Part 70 of Dark Souls it's just gotten better and better after those few rough patches. Evil Within has been great throughout.

If anything, I wonder if the amount of episodes you guys crank out now has just made people cranky and demanding. That and the Dark Souls comments have been horrid, even now that Woolie got gud.

You guys have come a long way since Silent Hill:Downcoming. Your playthroughs imo have gotten a lot better over the years. Sure your newest project might not always be the next greatest series, but I can never expect a bad LP out of you guys. Your videos old and new have been helping me get through shitty semesters of college every single year, where I don't have enough time for games but need 30 minutes of something to take my head out of the books and work. So I definitely appreciate all your guy's content. Regardless of what others think.

Xiraiya

No I think you guys are are pretty consistent, some combinations of the Super Best Friends are noticeably better than others, but at the end of the day, you're fine.

I will say though, the FC4 Video of you and Matt doing dumb Co-op stuff was one of the more hilarious videos lately, but most stuff is pretty funny/entertaining.

It used to be that our raw reactions would be appreciated, but now it seems to be less so and that the frustration at our foibles seems to increase. You're probably right. I really wanted to try out Bloodborne too.

As I just said, I absolutely love seeing peoples first reactions to things. However, I understand I'm only a minority. Not everyone has the same interests as me.

The gameplay element to your LPs fit and complement the commentary wonderfully. If people are expecting 100 accuracy, deathless runs, with some of the wittiest, and most passionate conversation on the internet, please find this metaphorical demi-lord and get him a mic and a capture card, because that's not going to happen. Again, this is Youtube peasants trying to shit up a conversation.

We try to avoid double blind, but every now and then there's something that we really want to do and be part of the Zeitgeist. It used to be that our raw reactions would be appreciated, but now it seems to be less so and that the frustration at our foibles seems to increase. You're probably right. I really wanted to try out Bloodborne too.

I think a Machinima style video plus a later LP (or maybe a Chalice run or two) would be a way to go about it. A half hour of Pat_ooooooh.wav would be a great video.

Really? The first level of that game is an awful outlast clone.

I was caught up in the hype and it was 30 new, so I pulled the trigger.

Noooooo. Please do Bloodborne.

What bothers me about the YouTube comments of all video games channels is the rise of armchair gamers. They are fucking obnoxious.

Alfebit

Banned
The LP made me *buy* the game.

I got gifted it, but I would have bought it if I didn't.

I also bought it because of the LP. It's not a perfect game and has a lot of flaws but I think it was worth a purchase and I have to thank both Matt and Pat for that.

I'd really like to see a Bloodborne LP.

One thing I will say, the comments can be as negative as they want but as long as they keep coming back then let them say whatever they want. That's all that matters in the end.

I also bought it because of the LP. It's not a perfect game and has a lot of flaws but I think it was worth a purchase and I have to thank both Matt and Pat for that.

Indeed.

Zenfalcia

You could do a quick one off for bloodborne like the last ds2 video where liam and matt were together and you and woolie were together. After making those, see how everyone reacts and then possibly make a full LP if reactions were positive.

For what its worth, I don't watch Super Best Friends for gameplay.

I watch for the hypest set of dudes in the LP scene.

Also Pat and by extension everyon at SBF, please do not strain yourself so much to get content out. I don't want you guys to turn into Game Grumps where everyone is fatigued and not enjoying what they do.

You could do a quick one off for bloodborne like the last ds2 video where liam and matt were together and you and woolie were together. After making those, see how everyone reacts and then possibly make a full LP if reactions were positive.

Wouldn't change anything, as the current DS2 LP has proven.

Shitbags will be shitbags, regardless of what's done.

MormaPope

Banned

I'd say the best way to judge the quality on your end is gauging the passion you have for that playthrough, because that passion will influence how fans feel. The Evil Within is a entertaining playthrough, but the passion is coming from being bewildered with how fucking weird and spotty the game is, at least, that's how it looks from a fan's perspective.

Take Deadly Premonition for example, I played and beat the game long before you did a playthrough, but you and Matt were invested in that game. It seemed like you and Matt were having a blast going through the game. The same can be said for the David Cage trilogy, the passion was there, you guys were invested in pointing out the shlock David Cage writes.

The Dark Souls 2 playthrough is great because Woolie gets hyped (to the point of breaking a controller with his own grip) and you're invested with how he performs. Choosing a game that fans would like to see is important, but choosing a game that you know you can stay interested in every day until that game is finished is more important.

The investment with The Evil Within feels more traditional, that its going to run its course because you're already so deep into the game.

I'm still in that camp, you guys getting hype for Revengeance in those first parts is fucking awesome.

I guess you gotta please both sides. Maybe, since I'm selfish, you could just make any Double-Blind LPs infrequent. I think the people frustrated at Dark Souls have been building up resentment, and it's carrying over to other playthroughs like Guacamelee and EW.

Also yeah, do an extended first look at Bloodborne at the least. I need to hear you guys freak out about it being radical

Zenfalcia

Wouldn't change anything, as the current DS2 LP has proven.

Shitbags will be shitbags, regardless of what's done.

This isn't to really change anything, it would be a way for them to do a short LP of sorts and gauge reactions. it would be a new series that not everyone would have played and would have some genuine interest to how the game looks.

I was caught up in the hype and it was 30 new, so I pulled the trigger.

Noooooo. Please do Bloodborne.

What bothers me about the YouTube comments of all video games channels is the rise of armchair gamers. They are fucking obnoxious.

This post reminds me of Jeff and Brad talking about their stream running the Destiny raid, and how Jeff has noted the rise of a certain kind of person, infuriated at the audacity of someone to broadcast a gameplay video of them not doing something perfectly.

Something about this makes me want to tie it to the rise of Mobas and that community, but I'm not sure I can make it work.

demidar

I'd really like to see a Bloodborne LP.

A day-of Bloodborne LP could work, since everyone who wants to play the game will blow past them anyway so there's no worry for spoilers, and people who do watch the LP would consent to being spoiled.

This post reminds me of Jeff and Brad talking about their stream running the Destiny raid, and how Jeff has noted the rise of a certain kind of person, infuriated at the audacity of someone to broadcast a gameplay video of them not doing something perfectly.

Something about this makes me want to tie it to the rise of Mobas and that community, but I'm not sure I can make it work.

Seeing that MOBAs have the worst communities that I have ever seen, I would follow that.

The ridiculous hostility for someone who hasn't mastered the game is absurd. Rome wasn't built in one day.

I'd say it's the recency of the games played that contributes too. Many people are currently/have recently been playing Dark 2/EW/Destiny.

Nobody has tips on how to beat fucking Final Fight: Streetwise.

joe2187

Banned
Man what the fuck is going on with the Persona Q I ordered from Amazon.

It went from Arizona, California (where I live) then it went to my neighborhood post office and then rocketed off to fucking Quebec for some ungodly reason, then it went to New York and finally tonight it settled down in Las Vegas Nevada where upon looking at Google maps at the delivery address is just a vacant lot.

Xiraiya

I actually do feel like you're right about that pattern, I just don't know if it's a new generation of watchers finding this stuff and reacting negatively or what, but you guys are pretty much the only Let's Players my girlfriend and I ever want to watch.

Anything else I've seen has always been annoying and terribly tedious and painful to listen to even if they're obscenely popular, I feel like people just have factually shit taste.

My gaming genre nemesis.
People shit on the Call of Duty community when the Lol and Dota 2 communities are some of the most cruel and spiteful people on the internet.
I don't get the appeal of community where everyone is toxic and vile.
They're equally as toxic.

I can see what you mean. My roommate and his friends talk about the Pro circuit of League of Legends all the time and it pains me to see them shit talking some of the pro players in the teams and I always question them why are you shit talking them. It's not like you and your teammates can get to their level. To be fair tho, I don't see them watching LPs. Just streams of LoL.

MormaPope

Banned
When it comes to LP's, I'm more interested in older titles that have any sort of legacy versus newer titles that have no legacy. There are exceptions, but I'd be more excited for a Silent Hill 4 LP, then, lets say, a Alien Isolation LP.

demidar

Seeing that MOBAs have the worst communities that I have ever seen, I would follow that.

The ridiculous hostility for someone who hasn't mastered the game is absurd. Rome wasn't built in one day.

Dota 2 is actually quite good now (in the lower brackets), relatively speaking. A jaunt to low priority fixes up poor attitudes quickly.

LoL is still fucked though, though that comes with the territory of being extremely popular.

Xiraiya

When it comes to LP's, I'm more interested in older titles that have any sort of legacy versus newer titles that have no legacy. There are exceptions, but I'd be more excited for a Silent Hill 4 LP, then, lets say, a Alien Isolation LP.
Alien Isolation is fantastic.

I despise that game with a fucking passion.

I would love to see them play it

They're equally as toxic.

I respectfully disagree. During my time with COD, if you just turned off other players' mics, most of the bullshit goes away.

In Lol, the chat is constantly present with people telling you "quit playing and sterilize your self with a knife so you do not pollutle the genepool" if you die.

A day-of Bloodborne LP could work, since everyone who wants to play the game will blow past them anyway so there's no worry for spoilers, and people who do watch the LP would consent to being spoiled.

I realize it's not practical, but this is also why LP's like The Fall can't really suffer from the negativity because once they're being uploaded the entire LP is finished. People can bitch and cry and moan all they want but it's done.

I'm still in that camp, you guys getting hype for Revengeance in those first parts is fucking awesome.

I guess you gotta please both sides. Maybe, since I'm selfish, you could just make any Double-Blind LPs infrequent. I think the people frustrated at Dark Souls have been building up resentment, and it's carrying over to other playthroughs like Guacamelee and EW.

Also yeah, do an extended first look at Bloodborne at the least. I need to hear you guys freak out about it being radical

This is a pretty good point actually, but people forget/new scrubs came in that don't know that Woolie isn't good at games, that is the lore and it always will be (despite Alien Soldier existing). That and the TMP fuckers are still salt from RE4 so that's going to carry to TEW for obvious reasons. Basically ignore the dicks, but if there's someone who can tell you what you're doing wrong and offer advice like a decent person, it wouldn't hurt to listen. After all they want to help you out so you get more enjoyment from it along with them, while the dicks just want to prove how "amazing" they are at the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom