• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike0dude

We Needed To Crescent the new Lore with something nice
So I made a shitty MS Paint drawing

JJzWFZz.png

This post reminds me of Jeff and Brad talking about their stream running the Destiny raid, and how Jeff has noted the rise of a certain kind of person, infuriated at the audacity of someone to broadcast a gameplay video of them not doing something perfectly.

Something about this makes me want to tie it to the rise of Mobas and that community, but I'm not sure I can make it work.

I'd be lying if I said I never got frustrated watching poor gameplay from time to time, but I also have enough restraint not to type out a comment about something as arbitrary and subjective as "good gameplay". A lot of the comments on your LPs are not constructive.

In the end, I'm not the one making content. You guys are and I'll watch what you guys shoot. I want you guys to know that we all tune in because the 4 of you are incredibly PERFEKT for each other and make great content. That's why I subscribed, why I joined GAF, why I started playing more video games. You guys are hilariously entertaining and I will keep watching until dead air.

I DISCOVERED GIANT BOMB BECAUSE OF YOU PAT. You've greatly enlarged my general knowledge of video games.

joe2187

Banned
When it comes to LP's, I'm more interested in older titles that have any sort of legacy versus newer titles that have no legacy. There are exceptions, but I'd be more excited for a Silent Hill 4 LP, then, lets say, a Alien Isolation LP.

Im under the same opinion. Eternal Darkness was LP that got me into LP's I loved exploring the older titles with you guys.

Stuff like Rule of Rose and I Have no mouth were some of my favorite LP videos.

MormaPope

Banned
Alien Isolation is fantastic.

Quality matters, but unless someone was purposefully not following it, there was a barrage of information, gameplay videos, lets plays, streamers, there's no mystery of how it plays or what the game actually is. Revisiting older titles means there's a new perspective in play being created, "what I thought in the past" versus "what I think now". That dynamic plus naturally forgetting things over time make revisiting the past more fun.

The past doesn't need to be ten years ago, it could be two. But LPs of brand new titles premise wise doesn't excite me that much.

Im under the same opinion. Eternal Darkness was LP that got me into LP's I loved exploring the older titles with you guys.

Stuff like Rule of Rose and I Have no mouth were some of my favorite LP videos.

Agreed. I Have no Mouth and must Scream was a pretty hype LP, which is weird to say for an adventure game.

I don't know, I have been watching a guy play a bit of it each week, it's not an action packed thrilling LP, but it's extremely entertaining to watch in a calming way.
There is like hours of that game were you don't even see the alien. Unless you have good commentary to carry it I can't imagine it being entertaining.

Xiraiya

There is like hours of that game were you don't even see the alien. Unless you have good commentary to carry it I can't imagine it being entertaining.

That's exactly how it should be, you're dealing with the Androids mostly too, which honestly are just as bad as the Alien.

I'd be lying if I said I never got frustrated watching poor gameplay from time to time, but I also have enough restraint not to type out a comment about something as arbitrary and subjective as "good gameplay". A lot of the comments on your LPs are not constructive.

In the end, I'm not the one making content. You guys are and I'll watch what you guys shoot. I want you guys to know that we all tune in because the 4 of you are incredibly PERFEKT for each other and make great content. That's why I subscribed, why I joined GAF, why I started playing more video games. You guys are hilariously entertaining and I will keep watching until dead air.

Even when Woolie's passive play was giving me the asspain, the banter would make it all fine.

People bitching need to realize that this is an LP. Not a speedrun, or a walkthrough, or a skill run. Just a group of bros recording themselves playing games, and being rad.

Unless the level of play is below basic competence, which I assure you Pat, you guys have never come anywhere close to, then you have the right to complain.

Do you think we can blame Dark Souls 2/Guacamelee/Evil Within comments on their popularity and/or recency coupled with the blind elements? Them all being relatively new is one of the few commons reasons between each of the games where I can think of why people get upset over each.

Zenfalcia

Those unconstructive comments are people being very analytical and having kneejerk reactions to immediately comment, which is why most are vile and hateful. Without that filter it's easy for anyone to do a quick comment without thinking.

These might come from the change in society? It's sort of a stretch to say with the proliferation of information, everyone feels like everyone else should know what they themselves know. This is just me speculating based on observations.

Pat, Just like chapter 7 from before, as well as the entire first a few chapters when you restarted, if you play this chapter again you'll start to realize certain things a lot faster and noticed certain things that you didn't realize from before.

That said it does bug me whenever people blames the game.

Do you think we can blame Dark Souls 2/Guacamelee/Evil Within comments on their popularity and/or recency coupled with the blind elements? Them all being relatively new is one of the few commons reasons between each of the games where I can think of why people get upset over each.

Also youtube comments have always been shit

That's exactly how it should be, you're dealing with the Androids mostly too, which honestly are just as bad as the Alien.
Oh no its great from a gameplay standpoint of not having the alien ahow up for a good portion of the game. Its way better than outlast's "shove chris walker down the players throat every 5 minutes." I just don't know If I would watch someone play it.
Really? I've never really heard them described like that. People are okay, and they become nicer the higher up the ladder you go.

I heard some pro player say it, I don't know if its true. Its definitely not us east.

I blame them on the fact that the website launched so a lot of the more dedicated fans moved there, the YouTube structure has comments with the most replies in its top section and those comments are usually just shit posting/trolling with a lot of people replying to it and the fact that people just don't like how they're playing the video games exactly how they should play it.

So fuck some people and fuck YouTube.

Okingjrr

Ooh, some serious on-topic talk. Much better than yesterdat's rule 63 discussion.
Anyway, I managed to survive a whole year once again, yoorah for aging!

I blame them on the fact that the website launched so a lot of the more dedicated fans moved there, the YouTube structure has comments with the most replies in its top section and those comments are usually just shit posting/trolling with a lot of people replying to it and the fact that people just don't like how they're playing the video games exactly how they should play it.

So fuck some people and fuck YouTube.

The subreddit got a lot more popular too. So yeah.

Those unconstructive comments are people being very analytical and having kneejerk reactions to immediately comment, which is why most are vile and hateful. Without that filter it's easy for anyone to do a quick comment without thinking.

These might come from the change in society? It's sort of a stretch to say with the proliferation of information, everyone feels like everyone else should know what they themselves know. This is just me speculating based on observations.

This is a consequence of having a comment board. People don't know how to self-censor or filter their thoughts.
I'd bet people were this callus in the Silent Era of TV and Film. They simply didn't have an internet board to leave comments & impressions however.

Even when Woolie's passive play was giving me the asspain, the banter would make it all fine.

People bitching need to realize that this is an LP. Not a speedrun, or a walkthrough, or a skill run. Just a group of bros recording themselves playing games, and being rad.

Unless the level of play is below basic competence, which I assure you Pat, you guys have never come anywhere close to, then you have the right to complain.

The banter is what we come for.

Ooh, some serious on-topic talk. Much better than yesterdat's rule 63 discussion.

Happy birthday Scrublord! I noticed you made your birthday notice in the gift exchange site too :3

I'm not getting you 2 gifts XD

Zenfalcia

This is a consequence of having a comment board. People don't know how to self-censor or filter their thoughts.
I'd bet people were this callus in the Silent Era of TV and Film. They simply didn't have an internet board to leave comments & impressions however.

It's also the consequence of everyone having anonimity and the ability to criticize anything. Look at any board or site, like 4chan, gamefaqs, neogaf, and the list goes on. There is always going to be negative comments, positive comments and people who are just being dicks or trolling or trying to gain attention.

In the past there wasn't as much anonimity and if you bad mouthed someone, other people would know who you were and not everyone would hear/read the comment.

People are salt when LPers are salt about a particular section, my impression is that people are okay with "I don't know how to play the video game (T_T)" but are not okay with "This game suck (>_<) !"

Pat, Just like chapter 7 from before, as well as the entire first a few chapters when you restarted, if you play this chapter again you'll start to realize certain things a lot faster and noticed certain things that you didn't realize from before.

That said it does bug me whenever people blames the game.

I totally agree, but I feel like I'm trying to only blame the game when it's overwhelmingly clear that it's a design or technical element that's fucked. Ammo pickup prompts not appearing unless they're within view, despite most ammo being placed within the letterboxing is fucking INSANE.

Alfebit

Banned
Hey Pat, if you really want to do Bloodborne why not try out a stream?

Happy birthday, homie.

Oh my fucking god your avatar is gold
Somebody tag this man

I wouldn't really say that's worth a tag. I mean, even EightBitNate didn't get one after his green means noises thread.

demidar

You can take notes from Araki or Sakurai and age backwards.

The Curious Case of Araki Hirohiko.

It's also the consequence of everyone having anonimity and the ability to criticize anything. Look at any board or site, like 4chan, gamefaqs, neogaf, and the list goes on. There is always going to be negative comments, positive comments and people who are just being dicks or trolling or trying to gain attention.

In the past there wasn't as much anonimity and if you bad mouthed someone, other people would know who you were and not everyone would hear/read the comment.

In the old days, bad mouthing someone meant you were also in range of being punched in the face.

Considering we now have Internet vigilantes who love to harass people/doxx people/attack people, I'm not surprised.

Okingjrr

Git gud at being old, Friender
Happy Birthday
But I can't if my limbs are getting less and less real!

Conglsturations on your birthday. I'd post the cromartie high video.. but being on mobile sucks.
No but git gud tho, I posted SBF videos on mobile from time to time.

Happy birthday Scrublord! I noticed you made your birthday notice in the gift exchange site too :3
I'm not getting you 2 gifts XD
Damn, being born in december is such a bane.

Yo happy birthday. Don't get too crazy
I won't. *wink wink nudge nudge*
'appy 'irthday. Listen to some MegaMan to celebrate :p
Yea! The best music!

This is the Super Best Friends Thread after all....
Happy Birthday! Here's to anouther!

Happy bursday son

Congraturations!

Thanks frienders!

People are salt when LPers are salt about a particular section, my impression is that people are okay with "I don't know how to play the video game (T_T)" but are not okay with "This game suck (>_<) !"

That's not it though. A ton of the comments are just outright insulting how they play, dwelling on their performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom