• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw man, the lore behind you avatar is super nuts now. Only after the timeskip did you grow the beard.

I'm like every hard drama TV show protagonist.
After the most dire stuff happens, I grow a huge beard and become a big cool guy.

At this rate we'll eventually have enough lore to actually make a full storyline.

Zenfalcia

In the old days, bad mouthing someone meant you were also in range of being punched in the face.

Yep but now it's hard when people are behind their computers.
Considering we now have Internet vigilantes who love to harass people/doxx people/attack people, I'm not surprised.

People are more bold with their comments and action when they know nothing can be done to get back at them.
No but git gud tho, I posted SBF videos on mobile from time to time.
i know i could.. but it's been a pain everytime.

Incredibly bad idea. Streaming a game blind requires thick skin and the lack of fucks about getting spoiled because you WILL get spoiled.

There's also no money in it, unfortunately. Like, I'm not going to sit here and say that we do everything for money, but like, there's a huge chasm between making literally 0 dollars on an LP and the usual. This is my job, after all.

250px-FFCCbox.jpg

I wish Square and Nintendo would bring this back.

It would be so hype
xmJZlNS.gif

Poor guy. He has the writing talent, and his art's decent enough when he spends any time on it whatsoever, but he's basically ghostwriting his own manga at this point...

Okingjrr

Happy birthday! Enjoy being one year closer to being complete shit at video games!
Thanks man!
Only 2 left... The countdown gets scarier every day.

Hey Pat, if you really want to do Bloodborne why not try out a stream?
Happy birthday, homie.

I wouldn't really say that's worth a tag. I mean, even EightBitNate didn't get one after his green means noises thread.
I would love day one stream of some games that wouldn't get an LP. Everyone's against it, oh well.

Thanks dude!

If that ledgendary thread didn't get him a tag, nothing will.

What about launch day streams? I'm sure they won't get spoiled due to it being launch day right?

Leaks man!

Twitch is equally as shit as youtube.

DO NOT STREAM

Nah, it's not that bad.

There's also no money in it, unfortunately. Like, I'm not going to sit here and say that we do everything for money, but like, there's a huge chasm between making literally 0 dollars on an LP and the usual. This is my job, after all.

There is money to be made in it and honestly I think you guys COULD make a pretty penny from it, but it requires a highly consistent schedule and at least around 6 hours a day for it to be worth it.

Not worth the hassle when you guys are doing fine with what you have now.

Okingjrr

Yep but now it's hard when people are behind their computers.
People are more bold with their comments and action when they know nothing can be done to get back at them.
i know i could.. but it's been a pain everytime.

They do know they're talking to other human beings right? That have feeling and are directly affected by the comments?

I'm not denying that it's a pain :p

I totally agree, but I feel like I'm trying to only blame the game when it's overwhelmingly clear that it's a design or technical element that's fucked. Ammo pickup prompts not appearing unless they're within view, despite most ammo being placed within the letterboxing is fucking INSANE.

In that particular case with the ammo pick-up, yeah I guess so. But for a number of things like way back in chap 7 when you thought you had to trigger the trip wire the first time around and not even trying to disable it, you could understand why things could have gotten little bit salty had you not been forced to redo that section =p

For stuff like the shutter doors and the elevator section, I think a second playthrough you'll get by with minimum hassle... Doesn't even have to be from NG+

On that note, why do we call it an elevator ^^; ? It doesn't elevate anything!

That's not it though. A ton of the comments are just outright insulting how they play, dwelling on their performance.

Yeah I hate those kinds of unconstructive comments that complaints about them playing 'boring'.

At the least, I hope we get to see a first look or extended peak ala Bayo 2 for Bloodborne- only blind.
On that note, why do we call it an elevator ^^; ? It doesn't elevate anything!

It elevates you and your friends up the building...

Okay lets not turn this into a circlejerk. I'm well aware that any group I could actually ask is necessarily biased. The last thing I want to do is cause a pity party, but I just need to try and get a feel on things. Woolie and I spoke about this. You can look at the youtube comments, which are vile, 4chan, which is likely even viler, here and the reddit, which basically suck our dicks. There's no inbetween. Hmph. Well I guess facebook, but that's iffy too. Hard to read, for one thing.

Zenfalcia

They do know they're talking to other human beings right? That have feeling and are directly affected by the comments?

I'm not denying that it's a pain :p
No they don't. It's too disconnected and it doesn't feel like you're actuslly talking to a person with feelings. It's easy to make a comment and not feel bad for it, because it's just text. There's tons of stories of cyber bullying and people commiting suicide or just being really depressed about it. Then you have those who just relish people's failure/suffering (sheudenfraude? I got the spelling wrong and don't want to check) and do it for kicks.

I wish i could do easier short cuts or something.. :/

KyleCross

In regards to the quality of the channel Pat, I don't feel you guys are slipping. You're just as entertaining to me as you've always has been, and I hope you guys are able to keep doing this forever. That said I have noticed a rise in I guess negativity. I'm not just talking The Evil Within. I've noticed that you guys... I dunno, it's like you're having less fun than you use to. You've always been critical and have had those lovely bursts of anger, but lately it just seems like you guys are just plain down and upset for a lot of the LPs in recent time. I feel the tone has completely changed from say 2013 to 2014.

I dunno, maybe you guys are more stressed out now because you all create a hell of a lot more content than you use to. Maybe slow it down a bit, give more breathing room between work? I'm not sure.

Okay lets not turn this into a circlejerk. I'm well aware that any group I could actually ask is necessarily biased. The last thing I want to do is cause a pity party, but I just need to try and get a feel on things. Woolie and I spoke about this. You can look at the youtube comments, which are vile, 4chan, which is likely even viler, here and the reddit, which basically suck our dicks. There's no inbetween. Hmph. Well I guess facebook, but that's iffy too. Hard to read, for one thing.
Hah, I guess you're not wrong. Most people separated to these different places because they feel closer to the way other people do in those places. This place is a lot of hardcore fans, and the reddit is like us on speed.

If you wanted a really wide array of opinions, a poll that every outlet sees or something is all I can imagine reaching a wide array of people.

I think you're so used to people being shits, us essentially being "get gud before you play" without being dicks feels like circle jerking. But yeah, I guess take the in between of what both sides are saying?

Something Awful and the goons? Isn't Matt over there?

Oh FYI Pat, if you fucked up, rest assured we'd let you hear it.

No worries on getting that from me because if I think you guys are being silly I'll call you out on it. See the discussion we had about the Amalgam boss. There nothing to gain for just telling people what they want to hear.

mike0dude

You should make a Myspace Page.

In regards to the quality of the channel Pat, I don't feel you guys are slipping. You're just as entertaining to me as you've always has been, and I hope you guys are able to keep doing this forever. That said I have noticed a rise in I guess negativity. I'm not just talking The Evil Within. I've noticed that you guys... I dunno, it's like you're having less fun than you use to. You've always been critical and have had those lovely bursts of anger, but lately it just seems like you guys are just plain down and upset for a lot of the LPs in recent time. I feel the tone has completely changed from say 2013 to 2014.

I dunno, maybe you guys are more stressed out now because you all create a hell of a lot more content than you use to. Maybe slow it down a bit, give more breathing room between work? I'm not sure.

Nah, I think it's just specific games. Like D4 was certainly anything but negative. Neither was Barkley or RE4.

EDIT: Yakuza was mostly this year too, oh snaps.

KyleCross

Nah, I think it's just specific games. Like D4 was certainly anything but negative. Neither was Barkley or RE4.

True. Maybe you guys have just played more games you don't really enjoy this year than the ones you have. But that ain't your fault.

Fuck, The Evil Within should've been good. WTF.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I think maybe you guys should do more one offs on games. It seems that the less the serious the video is, the more well received it is. Remember the sonic boom video? That was a blast.

Or I could be completely wrong and you guys are actually doing ok. But hey, its my opinion so you don't have to take my word for it.

Zenfalcia

Best method is take a grain of salt from everything and make a judgement on your own. The extremes are too great and drown out any medium/middle ground. Here's my 2 cents at trying to be unbiased. One hand the Lps have an entertainment value, but are not always super professional which is good and bad. Good because it keeps it fun and natural. The other hand, if problem arises when you don't know what will happen next or what an enemy wil do and could ultimately cause multiple deaths, which aren't always fun to watch. There's more that i can talk about.

Tldr; take the good and bad extremes and make a judgement on that.

mike0dude

EDIT: Yakuza was mostly this year too, oh snaps.

Yakuza was my fav LP because you seemed to be having so much fun playing it.
And I also had alot of fun playing side by side with the LP.

True. Maybe you guys have just played more games you don't really enjoy this year than the ones you have. But that ain't your fault.

Fuck, The Evil Within should've been good. WTF.

Evil Within was suppsoed to be this huge awesome feel good end to the shitstorm but the game is just so fucking disappointing.

Evil Within was suppsoed to be this huge awesome feel good end to the shitstorm but the game is just so fucking disappointing.

I don't know, for the most part maybe it's just not a game you could enjoy while 'performing' a LP? Again I bring up that episode where you replayed the entire first part of the game again and the difference in tone was very far apart.

...Or maybe you should bring in Liam for one of these sessions?

KyleCross

Right? I still can't believe that this is what Mikami and his team put out. The most infuriating thing is... you see the awesome. YOU FUCKING SEE IT. It's right there. But every time you get close to it a mountain of shit falls over and blocks your path. Games like the Evil Within are always difficult for me because they're not bad games. It's easy enough to be a "bad" game and accept that. It's when a game has so much going for it, but it just falls a-fucking-part due to various reasons.

It's like "I wish I could've played this and told them to put it in the oven for another year or two." but no, it's too fucking late. This is it.

ultimax

I think its time to return to Bug Island :p

But in all seriousness, Evil Within is shitty. The letterboxing ruined the game for me, and i don't know if i'll ever finish it. It really is a shame.

I was actually thinking about it this morning and it got me thinking. Is it really a bad thing that the game has taken a turn away from the horror in layer chapters? You're so accustomed to the games feel at that point I think it would just be boring if it kept the same tone throughout.

Plus everything you hear about the game is how he didn't want to make it, but Bethesda wanted him to.

That would explain how the tone shifts from burial tomb to parking lot to the fucking Last of Us land.

Actually, it doesn't and calling it all sleep dream powers is a cop out.

Alfebit

Banned
Plus everything you hear about the game is how he didn't want to make it, but Bethesda wanted him to.

Exactly. I like the game just fine but I think if he got to make that co op game where you're chained to your partner like he wanted it might've been a way better game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom