• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

find me an SBS of Oda saying it's canon or not and I won't disagree with you anymore but until then let's just drop it before we start saying things that hurt each others feelings

You're talking about whether or not a movie is cannon. why would anyone have their feelings hurt?

Xiraiya

Dark 2 originally let you use Lifegems and Estus iirc, but they turned it off with a patch around the time the PC version released. Dark 1 has healing with humanities and both let you use miracles.
It's weird because blocking some miracles from being used and not others would be kind of dumb in a lore capacity, but at the same time, I really don't think any kind of phantom should be able to restore their health in any way whatsoever, short of equipped gear that might have a regenerating effect.

croten

It's weird because blocking some miracles from being used and not others would be kind of dumb in a lore capacity, but at the same time, I really don't think any kind of phantom should be able to restore their health in any way whatsoever, short of equipped gear that might have a regenerating effect.

I think Miracles are a perfectly acceptable way to heal in PvP. they have a much longer animation making it far easier to get interrupted than estus or lifegems.

The idea is that the really really long windup and cooldown on healing spells makes it fair, but you could really argue that Dark Souls never had an interest in being competitively fair. Only Dark 2 is taking strides in that direction due to player feedback, and they're doing a pretty poor job.

So I just finished playing Mirror's Edge again on PS3. Finished on normal, did not use guns on enemies. Those last three chapters are still dogshit. Most of my other thoughts on that game still stand after all these years, though as time goes on I find myself more frustrated with the no gun approach and how limited that game's combat is.

Please look forward to the future when I make my own first person parkour game that makes this look like amateur work.

Mirrors edge is one of those games were I say that its a great and bad game at the same time.

Xiraiya

Hahaha oh my god, that Dark Souls part ended so perfectly.

I think Miracles are a perfectly acceptable way to heal in PvP. they have a much longer animation making it far easier to get interrupted than estus or lifegems.
Well I don't disagree in the sense of like arena PVP, but I'm talking about invasions and so on, things that involve you crossing into another world and not simply meeting eachother equally in an arena.

Mirrors edge is one of those games were I say that its a great and bad game at the same time.
Pretty much. I love it, and it speaks volumes that I remember it many years after the fact and that I want to make a game based around its concept.

But it's got so many faults at the same time that I have to be super critical about it.

Pretty much. I love it, and it speaks volumes that I remember it many years after the fact and that I want to make a game based around its concept.

But it's got so many faults at the same time that I have to be super critical about it.
Its alot like la noire. Its a unique gem when it sticks to its core mecahnics it's a great game but as soon as it makes you fight people it all goes to shit.

Mix between using disarm or kicking them in the balls to stun them, followed by a three hit combo. It's all still terrible because while you don't have to defeat all enemies in every scenario to proceed, you're better off taking them out as a beeline to the nearest exit almost doesn't work.

I never used the disarm because I just suck at timing things. I just ran at them and jump kicked them, then crouch attack to standing attack. Usually took them out super quick. Plus if you jump at them from a higher ground it's an insta-knock down. There's shit you can do the game never tells you about

Noire's Lie/Doubt/Truth system is too ambiguous.
This. It reminded me of Alpha Protocol's system of choosing the tone you wanted to speak to someone with rather than an actual dialogue, which screwed me over at times when Thorton would say something I didn't want.

A traditional dialog tree would have been more preferable.

ultimax

Noire's Lie/Doubt/Truth system is too ambiguous.
I'm actually playing through that game right now, and that system is really bullshitty 90% of the time. People will make the most sketchy ass faces after saying something, but then it will be like "nah they told the truth"

Btw I have no idea how far I am in the game, all I know is that I had to download some free DLC nonsense in order to continue.
nope. Prequel/Reboot if that makes any fucking sense.
Oh jeez. Should be interesting.

This. It reminded me of Alpha Protocol's system of choosing the tone you wanted to speak to someone with rather than an actual dialogue, which screwed me over at times when Thorton would say something I didn't want.

A traditional dialog tree would have been more preferable.

Oh my god, I hate when games have different text listed as your selection and then when you select it your character says something wholly different.

Telltale games do that sometimes. Mass Effect too.

Oh my god, I hate when games have different text listed as your selection and then when you select it your character says something wholly different.

I understand why when it's a big line and they have to simplify it for UI purposes, but when it's a short line and it's different for no reason I call bullshit.

I'm actually playing through that game right now, and that system is really bullshitty 90% of the time. People will make the most sketchy ass faces after saying something, but then it will be like "nah they told the truth"

Btw I have no idea how far I am in the game, all I know is that I had to download some free DLC nonsense in order to continue.

What case are you on? If you are on the arson case you should just stop playing.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

"Glass him" In the wolf among us had to be the worst text choice because no one knew what it meant or what it would cause.

Decided to share my top 10 list from the 2015 Anticipation Thread

1. Zelda U
2. Persona 5
3. Star Fox U
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
5. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
6. Bloodborne
7. SMT: Devil Survivor 2 Break Record
8. Xenoblade Chronicles X
9. Tales of Zestiria
10. Yakuza 5

Really? I knew what it means to glass someone.

I, of course, can't speak for everyone.

I wasn't sure myself, so I ignored that option. I figured it could've been that, but I think people were just unfamilar with the term, obviously. I know they wanna make short statements you can choose so that you can read each quickly and reply, but the ambiguity doesn't help when these games give you time limits on your answers.

At least with Mass Effect I can watch the characters do the modern BioWare shuffle while I consider my choices, so I don't know why I can't read the whole damn dialogue.

There's way too much shit coming out in 2015. I need to save up.

I'm on the case called "the golden butterfly", the last thing I did was
arrest some creepy pedophile that hangs around a highschool

ahh okay, you have a while to go till one of the largest dips in quality in video games.

1. Zelda U
2. Persona 5
3. Star Fox U
6. Bloodborne
9. Tales of Zestiria
10. Yakuza 5

No witcher 3=shit list

croten

"Glass him" In the wolf among us had to be the worst text choice because no one knew what it meant or what it would cause.

That one always seemed obvious to me.

1. Zelda U
2. Persona 5
3. Star Fox U
6. Bloodborne
9. Tales of Zestiria
10. Yakuza 5