• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

There's also a chapter parodying the launch of the Wii.
And a Monster Hunter MMO Parody arc, though the Wii one is great, I kept losing it so many times during that episode.

vx5XxR.jpg

Xiraiya

That image sent me into a laughing fit just from the memory. Goddammit, you guys, read Gintama!
Yeah, aside from being really offensive it's also really easily bannable here.

That Old man glitching out and becoming a selectable weapon to attack with was the point I just couldn't breath anymore.

Fair enough, It's how they're referred to in Gintama so I didn't think anything of it, not that I would ever actually call anyone that.

That Old man glitching out and becoming a selectable weapon to attack with was the point I just couldn't breath anymore.

Fair enough, It's how they're referred to in Gintama so I didn't think anything of it, not that I would ever actually call anyone that.
Its a shame pat and woolie will never watch it.

ALSO THAT STAR WARS TRAILER WAS SICK
I like how theyre not even calling it episode 7

Zenfalcia

Did they ever say why they wouldn't watch it? I don't remember if the did or not.
No, they HAVE to watch it, they both need to give it a goddamn chance, everything in that series is right up their alley in terms of sense of humor and also their love of hype shit, it's going to be a legit shame if they never watch it.

I don't trust Liam to shill it to them properly.

Has liam watched it though?

Xiraiya

No, they HAVE to watch it, they both need to give it a goddamn chance, everything in that series is right up their alley in terms of sense of humor and also their love of hype shit, it's going to be a legit shame if they never watch it.
I don't trust Liam to shill it to them properly.

Did they ever say why they wouldn't watch it? I don't remember if the did or not.
So far neither of them have ever made any reply or reference about watching it.

I don't want to overhype it for Pat but it's just such a TBF genre series.

Zenfalcia

So far neither of them have ever made any reply or reference about watching it.

I don't want to overhype it for Pat but it's just such a TBF genre series.

We'll have to push it next time he wants to watch a series.

No but I tried to shill it in the past to pat and he just kind of ignored me ;-; he watched Monster instead.

Yeah.. he also ignored my space brothers recommendation.. It's a pretty light drama about people who want to go to space. It's ok, zedreamcast.. Someday.. he'll watch it

Jesus, already at 35 pages? Why you post so fast?

Git gud and join the 50 pp or 100pp club. I think the speed is due to the american frienders are on thanksgiving holiday.

Star Wars talk???

I can't tolerate Star Wars stuff anymore. After battlefront 2, the countless games and comic and books and merch and so on, I'm star wars'd out.

Starkiller still upsets me how he was poorly written. There's too much expanded universe :/

Give me Kyle katarn as a pseudo Jedi and I'll be content.

I hope this movie will be great though.

Star Wars talk???

I can't tolerate Star Wars stuff anymore. After battlefield 2, the countless games and comic and books and merch and so on, I'm star wars'd out.

Starkiller still upsets me how he was poorly written. There's too much expanded universe :/

Its fine because none of the expanded universe exists anymore!

Xiraiya

We should send an email to superbestfriendcast@gmail.com
So we can push the best shonen manga ever super hard.

I don't want to overhype Gintama because then they'll just blame us for raising their expectations, Gintama is pretty high up there, but the main reason I want Pat and Woolie to watch it is because I know once they get into it, they'll really appreciate all the baffling and epic stuff it has to offer.

Well they're not going to
No shit Sherlock.

demidar

Yeah it's a fairly odd issue to handle. I don't even know if okama are transsexual or gay, and my understanding of that bit of culture is lacking. However we can talk about the localization part. Japan can be pretty insensitive, and I don't doubt that some people would refer to okama with some Japanese word (would that be okama?) similar in meaning to "tranny", but if you were translating that, should you be faithful to the insensitive source and risk offending people or clean it up to be more considerate to a demographic sensitive to that issue?

Star Wars talk???

I can't tolerate Star Wars stuff anymore. After battlefield 2, the countless games and comic and books and merch and so on, I'm star wars'd out.

I still can't believe they named a character Starkiller unironically.

I don't want to overhype Gintama because then they'll just blame us for raising their expectations, Gintama is pretty high up there, but the main reason I want Pat and Woolie to watch it is because I know once they get into it, they'll really appreciate all the baffling and epic stuff it has to offer.

No shit Sherlock.
Yeah I think youre right, but we should still shill super hard.
Yeah it's a fairly odd issue to handle. I don't even know if okama are transsexual or gay, and my understanding of that bit of culture is lacking. However we can talk about the localization part. Japan can be pretty insensitive, and I don't doubt that some people would refer to okama with some Japanese word (would that be okama?) similar in meaning to "tranny", but if you were translating that, should you be faithful to the insensitive source and risk offending people or clean it up to be more considerate to a demographic sensitive to that issue?
I think Okama are just transsexual.

Zenfalcia

We should send an email to superbestfriendcast@gmail.com
So we can push the best shonen manga ever super hard.

That could work, but it's not guaraunteed woolie will see it, He didn't even see the bestgaf snake eater.. atleast he never replied.. ;_;

Star Wars talk???

I can't tolerate Star Wars stuff anymore. After battlefront 2, the countless games and comic and books and merch and so on, I'm star wars'd out.

FTFY

Battlefront was awesome, it made me sad when the sequel was canned at 90% completion

Also, what expanded universe? It doesn't exist anymore, that's just all fanfiction now.

No shit Sherlock.

Maybe they're like me and read the Shonen Jump years ago and didn't think it was funny when you didn't understand who anyone was. I think they put I'm like the first chapter of the second volume or some shit. It's The same reason I never watched Jojo's until last month.

Shonen Jump really is terrible.

Xiraiya

Personally I don't think too hard about it, Gintama represents them in a pretty stereotypical way and probably a little "insensitive" by some people's standards, but it treats the individual okama characters like real human beings with respect, that whole first episode with them is about that guy's son dealing with the fact his dad is also his mom and all that stuff, and the social issues that arise from it, and that kid's parent is one of the coolest characters in Kabukichou.

They get about as much respect as any other kind of character in that world and they don't think too hard about insensitivity or any tumblr-esque issues, which is what I really like about Gintama in a lot of cases, it has the view of they are who they are and that's all there is to it, don't dwell on the details so much.

demidar

I think Okama are just trannys.

I don't know if it carries the same connotations as in the west though i.e. is it inherently offensive, derogatory or dismissive or is it simply a label?

From what I know (which is just anime so it's not worth much really), okama are usually grouped with women so I guess they're trans but again, that's a really limited data pool to draw from.

Personally I don't think too hard about it, Gintama represents them in a pretty stereotypical way and probably a little "insensitive" by some people's standards, but it treats the individual okama characters like real human beings with respect, that whole first episode with them is about that guy's son dealing with the fact his dad is also his mom and all that stuff, and the social issues that arise from it.

They get about as much respect as any other kind of character in that world and they don't think too hard about insensitivity or any tumblr-esque issues, which is what I really like about Gintama in a lot of cases, it has the view of they are who they are and that's all there is to it, don't dwell on the details so much.

I don't have a problem with how they're treated in the anime/manga, but rather localizing okama to trannies which carries a lot of baggage in the West.

How does the expande universe not exist anymore?

Did Lucas do this?

I hope he did not kill off Kyle Katarn!

Yeah, that's bothered me. I read a lot if it in high school so it bothers me that it's all irrelevant now.

I was always most partial to Lowbacca, the wookie Jedi, as my favorite EU character.

Maybe they're like me and read the Shonen Jump years ago and didn't think it was funny when you didn't understand who anyone was. I think they put I'm like the first chapter of the second volume or some shit. It's The same reason I never watched Jojo's until last month.

Here's the thing about Gintama. It's an insanely slow start. And, on top of being a slow start, everything relies on your knowledge of the characters, which takes time to develop. I honestly didn't know if I liked it or not for the first 10 full volumes, then it became one of my favorites of all time. It's super hard to recommend, but when you get into it, you get in deep.

Okingjrr

That could work, but it's not guaraunteed woolie will see it, He didn't even see the bestgaf snake eater.. atleast he never replied.. ;_;
Spam it tho.
How does the expande universe not exist anymore?

Did Lucas do this?

I hope he did not kill off Kyle Katarn!
Lucas was like "This character should marry this character"
Interviewer was like "They lived 1000 years apart"
Lucas then declared "This shit's not canon, forget the expanded universe. Only the movies are canon, and some other stuff ."

I don't know if it carries the same connotations as in the west though i.e. is it inherently offensive, derogatory or dismissive or is it simply a label?

From what I know (which is just anime so it's not worth much really), okama are usually grouped with women so I guess they're trans but again, that's a really limited data pool to draw from.

I don't have a problem with how they're treated in the anime/manga, but rather localizing okama to transexual which carries a lot of baggage in the West.
You might wanna edit your use of the T word dude.

Xiraiya

I don't have a problem with how they're treated in the anime/manga, but rather localizing okama to trannies which carries a lot of baggage in the West.

Okama is typically associated with "transgender" from what I've seen, it might also include being gay, but it's primary useage in anime/manga is with transgender characters.

Zenfalcia

Shounen jump isn't too bad, you just need to get fairly invested in some of them in order to learn the characters. There's a few stand out series, like shokugeki no soma.. i think that's on shounen jump..

People, please read shokugeki no soma.. It's a great manga about sick food competitions

Lucas was like "This character should marry this character"
Interviewer was like "They lived 1000 years apart"
Lucas then declared "This shit's not canon, forget the expanded universe. Only the movies are canon, and some other stuff ."

Only George Lucas could hold reins over an IP, kill the IP, resurrect the IP, and sell it to make billions for him and his investors, all in the span of 20+ years.

Zenfalcia

Pretty much any word except "Transexual" is bannable here. I don't think they even issue warnings, you just have to know or you're banned.

What about cross dressing?

So Kyle Katarn is gone, just like that... The character I had an emotional investment in...

I'm not in a happy mood right now.

It's finneeee.. Not really.. but what can you do?

I edited it, he originally had the one I used.

Better be safe than sorry i suppose. Even with context it'll be up to the mod to judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom