• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOLY SHIT I GOT A FUCKING SHINY BELDUM

Did not know about this mystery gift thing. Shiny Metagross is the best.

Sick radical.

Still, nothing beat finding shinys in the wild. The only shiny I ever found was a shiny Tentacool in I believe Pokemon Platinum, and I raised that bad boy to lv 100 and brought him all the way to Pokemon Y

croten

Found it
hajime_no_ippo_tekken_iron_fist_gif_by_thatguythere_seehim-d7cc2fw.gif

Thank you, it's as beautiful as I remembered

Oh my god, I can't believe how godawful Rise is in this new P4G skiing event. It's like they keep intentionally making her more and more obnoxious. Just fucking stop already.

I really don't like the extra events Golden brings with it.

That's what you get for picking the wrong girl.

demidar

Oh my god, I can't believe how godawful Rise is in this new P4G skiing event. It's like they keep intentionally making her more and more obnoxious. Just fucking stop already.

I really don't like the extra events Golden brings with it.

I feel like Golden is more fanservice-y than OG P4 but I can't prove that because I can't play the game. Almost all, if not all, attempts at fanservice or pervy-ness backfired
summer camp bathing suits, the beauty content, hot springs event, dating cultural festival and maybe a few other things I've missed
. Do you feel like that's the case?

Nordicus

Oh, how cute, one small game store chain from a city about an hour from here is trying to have a "black friday" sale even though that's not really a thing over here.

Now, I don't know much about running brick&mortar, but I think that just putting a select handful of new games at 10-20% discount and giving a 10€ gift card for 250€ purchase would be half-assing it. Put a decent deal on the various old-ass last generation games that nobody's buying otherwise, new and used, and get rid of that shit that needlessly takes up your storage space for christ's sake!

I'm suprised donkey kong came in
3rd
. I wasnt surprised about marth though.
Goes to show Smash 4 player smash is crazy.
Fuck this 101 degree fever and sore throat. Can't even sleep for more than 4 hours. And I have assignments to work on over the weekend >_>
Hopefully you get better, so you can play Smash!
Speaking of holiday, do you guys have a date for Christmas? You know, to eat cake and stuff.
I still find it funny that that's what they do in Japan
Dates for Christmas are special and weird. Its notlike their Valentines day!
I didn't go with Rise, Marie or Yukiko =P.
And this event seems to only be getting worse.

Edit: the event just ended. Yeah, that was probably the worst scene in the entire game.
Worst dungeon in the game as well.
From what PersonaGAF say, most of the bad scenes in Persona 4 Golden is because it was forced in.

Just wait til you play Ultimax's story after arena

Sick radical.

Still, nothing beat finding shinys in the wild. The only shiny I ever found was a shiny Tentacool in I believe Pokemon Platinum, and I raised that bad boy to lv 100 and brought him all the way to Pokemon Y

I agree, but this was a nice surprise.

Only other one I found was a Shiny Geodude in Diamond, it was sick too. Golden Geodude.

demidar

OG P4 is indeed quite fanservice-y as well, but they're still far better than some of the scenes in golden. For regular dialog, It feels like they've taken certain characteristics of some characters to an extreme. This skiing event for example: Chie spends even more time talking about meat and being brash and Rise's clingy, prissy and bitchy behavior is multiplied by ten. It's seriously starting to become obnoxious and the actual good parts of the new scenes are often surrounded by the far below average ones.

The skiing event ended with an even worse
bathing scene (only to show off Marie)
that makes the original shitty scene look like a masterpiece in comparison.

I like the fact that Golden gives us more time for S-Links and I appreciate the streamlining of its gameplay mechanics, but the actual story content is more often than not significantly worse than the original.

Understatement of the century.
I'm already hesitant to try out the storymode of Ultimax

That doesn't sound good. Not much else needs to be said.

Why was Marie even included in Golden anyway?

OG P4 is indeed quite fanservice-y as well, but they're still far better than some of the scenes in golden. For regular dialog, It feels like they've taken certain characteristics of some characters to an extreme. This skiing event for example: Chie spends even more time talking about meat and being brash and Rise's clingy, prissy and bitchy behavior is multiplied by ten. It's seriously starting to become obnoxious and the actual good parts of the new scenes are often surrounded by the far below average ones.

The skiing event ended with an even worse
bathing scene (only to show off Marie)
that makes the original shitty scene look like a masterpiece in comparison.

I like the fact that Golden gives us more time for S-Links and I appreciate the streamlining of its gameplay mechanics, but the actual story content is more often than not significantly worse than the original.

Understatement of the century.
I'm already hesitant to try out the storymode of Ultimax
It seems like they aren't trying to build on their characters anymore at this point. Right now they are trying to appeal to each other tropes and win the player over. Its absolutely disgusting. I really like the character building in P3 since the characters actually grow with you. Yukari and Junpei are completely different characters by the time you finish the game. I haven't finished P2, but I hear their character's complexites are way more interesting and significantly more different character development with shadows.

The story itself isn't all bad. Just the one disgusting forced upon thing just overshadowed the whole story just for me.
Why was Marie even included in Golden anyway?
She is like ATLUS's Lightning. They are too in love with her.

Marie making an appearance in Persona 5. Sounds like quite an avatar bet.
sure. If she does, you have to change your avatar to a crappy Phoenix Wright dickbutt.

She is apparently well done in Q apparently. PersonaGAF claims that if she was like that in G, people would have actually liked her.

Sounds perfect for me, I'm good at phasing out story and focusing on gameplay.

I wish P3 got a "Golden" game, superior story and characters but that gameplay....

demidar

How about the other way? I'm crazy enough to believe they will localize Yakuza 0, so I can also believe Marie won't be in P5

Maybe, but that Marie design is too god like and they wasted it.

Both possibilities seem equally possible which is what scares me.

Yakuza 0 won't be coming over though.

demidar

I don't know. Probably because they thought they should add something of value to Golden, but Marie still ends up feeling forced, her S-Link is both poorly written and isn't even unique within the same game, her addition to the main plot is completely unnecessary and the character just feels as if she's completely separate from everything in the game.

I was watching Giant Bomb's UPF stream and Jeff played a bit of P4G. That point where you first meet Dojima at the start of the game and then Marie just comes in out of nowhere made me go "What the hell is happening?!?!". It felt super forced because it happens so early in the game before you meet anyone of note and you get massive "important character here!" vibes because she has a portrait and her design super loud compared to Dojima and Nanako's plainness.

I was watching Giant Bomb's UPF stream and Jeff played a bit of P4G. That point where you first meet Dojima at the start of the game and then Marie just comes in out of nowhere made me go "What the hell is happening?!?!". It felt super forced because it happens so early in the game before you meet anyone of note and you get massive "important character here!" vibes because she has a portrait and her design super loud compared to Dojima and Nanako's plainness.
Did they say it was even more anime? They should have introduced her with the velvet room people first since their designs are like her.
Its the hat and the miniskirt man!

demidar

Did they say it was even more anime? They should have introduced her with the velvet room people first since their designs are like her.

Jeff just looked around in bewilderment. It was like a fundamental law of nature he believed to be true was false all along and his world came crashing down. Everyone else was either nonchalant or slightly confused.

Jeff just looked around in bewilderment. It was like a fundamental law of nature he believed to be true was false all along and his world came crashing down. Everyone else was either nonchalant or slightly confused.
I watched some of the original endurance run. Is it only Giant bomb plus members only? Are they going to upload it in an archive?

demidar

I hope Divinity goes on sale today.

I'm starting to get back in the RPG genre.

Divinity: Original Sin is so good. The only negative is that you fucking need an SSD because the load times are super long, and the game can drag if you're doing everything.

Also you need someone with Hydrosophist skills (fancy word for water mage) because it's mostly about healing and disabling.

Jman014

I hope Divinity goes on sale today.

I'm starting to get back in the RPG genre.

Divinity is so good. The only negative is that you fucking need an SSD because the load times are super long, and the game can drag if you're doing everything.

Also you need someone with Hydrosophist skills (fancy word for water mage) because it's mostly about healing and disabling.
I assume you guys mean Original Sin. There are several older Divinity games that are out, but Original Sin is the latest, and yes it is fun.

Jman014

I saw some of the older titles. Are they still worth getting into?

Also, are the first two Fallout games on GMG?

Divinity Dragon Commander is an interesting rts/political simulator where you turn into a dragon blowing shit up while talking with people aboard your ship kinda like Mass Effect. It also takes place before every other Divinity game, including Original Sin.

JoJo94

I can do that as well, but why would I play P3 or P4 if all I'm going to focus on is the mediocre gameplay?

I'd say Marie's is pretty weak, aside from it feeling forced. But yeah, the lightning comparison is actually pretty good.

I wouldn't say she's as bad as Lightning since she actually hasn't been in too much (unless you count the Golden animation too). Plus she may have bad poetry...but it's no Destiny is destiny.

Nordicus

Divinity II:Directors cut is an average game. I haven't played much of it.
I played up until you get your weird little fort thingy with personalized staff, and I honestly thought the game was garbage. Horrible combat (at least with archer build), and runs worse than Witcher 2 and Dark Souls on any settings.

I wouldn't say she's as bad as Lightning since she actually hasn't been in too much (unless you count the Golden animation too). Plus she may have bad poetry...but it's no Destiny is destiny.

I compared her to that by her needlessly being added to the games.
Did you remember how she got put in Ultimax for almost no reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom