• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

ultimax

Did you say Aki?
takamura-is-about-to-rape-you_o_1066592.jpg
Uh oh, shack, pls be gentle

mike0dude

Did something happen in the latest DS2 video? I'm not watching that LP, so if anyone wants to spoiler post it for me that'd be grand

the game went to desktop then pat got it back up but woolie had died then the game just crashed to desktop for good.
I blame EW's curse.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, how do I use this goofy motorbike sword properly?

Your goal is to level up Exceed and Ex-Act/Max-Act. This will allow you to time just-frame inputs as you're swinging to get an insta-charge. You'll never have to manually charge again. Not sure how far along you are, but early on you're only really going to be revving before battle until you get the Ex-Act. Your first purchases should be Streak, Split, Calibur, Snatch 2, Charged Shot, and some ground combos.

so we playing Xrd now?

I wanna try out my scrubby ass I-No

I want to play. Give me a copy.

Your goal is to level up Exceed and Ex-Act/Max-Act. This will allow you to time just-frame inputs as you're swinging to get an insta-charge. You'll never have to manually charge again. Not sure how far along you are, but early on you're only really going to be revving before battle until you get the Ex-Act. Your first purchases should be Streak, Split, Calibur, Snatch 2, Charged Shot, and some ground combos.
So back when I played through the game I never found myself using charge shots all that much. What would be some proper usage of it?

Squishy3

That didn't look nearly as hype as I was hoping it would. How's the game? Looks... iffy.
It's simple but functionable. There's a hype just dodge thing where everything goes into slow motion. It was obviously made on a budget and you can tell by the crowd and stuff. The crowd will chant the boxer's names though and they recorded dialogue for every boxer, so that's kind of hype. Most every major character is playable and I also haven't played as anyone other than Ippo, I think I've unlocked Miyata, Sendo, Mashiba, Volg and Date so far, and the characters you can unlock go all the way up to where the manga is currently at. No side characters like Hammer Nao though.

I also have no idea how the skills trigger though because the requisites for them being activated is in Japanese... so yeah. I hope someone translates those at one point. I just unlocked Ippo's third special move so that might be a way more hype Dempsey roll.

So back when I played through the game I never found myself using charge shots all that much. What would be some proper usage of it?
This requires remapping the controls, but hold down the shoot button (have it assigned to a shoulder button, like L1 for me), and then release at any point during your combo. Obviously there are different levels for it, 3 being the most damaging with a delayed explosion, so use that on an enemy with low health if you want to start moving onto the next enemy.

They're also ESPECIALLY useful when in Devil Trigger.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

You can charge during any of your other moves. Really, you should be constantly charging. Sometimes a button remap helps with this (assigned gun to one of the bumpers/triggers).

Nero's charge shot is incredibly powerful, and at Lvl 3 it even juggles the enemy upon delayed explosion. Even charge lvl 1 is strong and charges after only about a second. The shot also cancels your general movement and attack.

This requires remapping the controls, but hold down the shoot button (have it assigned to a shoulder button, like L1 for me), and then release at any point during your combo. Obviously there are different levels for it, 3 being the most damaging with a delayed explosion, so use that on an enemy with low health if you want to start moving onto the next enemy.

They're also ESPECIALLY useful when in Devil Trigger.
You can charge during any of your other moves. Really, you should be constantly charging. Sometimes a button remap helps with this (assigned gun to one of the bumpers/triggers).

Nero's charge shot is incredibly powerful, and at Lvl 3 it even juggles the enemy upon delayed explosion. Even charge lvl 1 is strong and charges after only about a second. The shot also cancels your general movement and attack.
Ah okay yeah. See I never think/want to remap controls most of the time so it never occurred to me to use it as some fucking Kenshiro bullshit

mike0dude

Biggest issue I have with my pc is that I get over heating artifacts even tho my GPU is at around like 50 degrees. I have like 3 120mm fans blowing air on it and a 200mm fan blowing air out the top of my tower.

Ah okay yeah. See I never think/want to remap controls most of the time so it never occurred to me to use it as some fucking Kenshiro bullshit
Yeah, compared to other character action games, DMC 3 and 4 are really the only ones with fully remappable controls that are useful for utilizing so many systems at once. I know that with DMC 3 I remapped attack from triangle to square so I could better perform jump cancel attacks.

This reminds me.

For everyone waiting on the GG Xrd LE, make sure to buy Elphelt off PSN while she's still free.
Apparently I misread the details about Elphelt's availability and thought she'd be on PSN for download regardless of whether or not you had the game. Now I've got a gamefly copy of it coming but since I don't technically own it, I ain't getting her until January unless I buy now.

Dammit, I've already spent enough money in the last month as it is.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Apparently I misread the details about Elphelt's availability and thought she'd be on PSN for download regardless of whether or not you had the game. Now I've got a gamefly copy of it coming but since I don't technically own it, I ain't getting her until January unless I buy now.

Dammit, I've already spent enough money in the last month as it is.

She's up on PSN right now:

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...tine/cid=UP1024-CUSA00834_00-GGXRDDAT00001001

That "best combat since Graces F" actually means a lot since not only is it far and beyond the best combat system of any Tales game, but its also one of the best Action RPG mechanics ever.

I meant that in that it doesn't mean a lot because Tales combat is generally bad, not that it's not important to the quality of the game. I should probably edit that to be more clear.

I meant that in that it doesn't mean a lot because Tales combat is generally bad, not that it's not important to the quality of the game. I should probably edit that to be more clear.

I wouldn't say the combat is bad. Everything on consoles post-Abyss has been pretty decent, even if Xillia was a complete step back from Graces F combat wise. I'd say its pretty important for me, but Tales games are usually the complete package of story/characters/combat and especially the most important part, the skits. Its just that its not the best in any of those categories. Except for Graces F combat. Just so fucking good. Good enough for me to excuse anything else about that game.

Even though I have a couple games from this year I've yet to finish, and one on the way I've yet to play (Xrd), I might as well list the games from this year I have played. Though not in any particular order because every time I make a top 10 anything I always regret the decision I made after the fact.

Well...actually I can do a top 3. That was is definitive.

1. Bayonetta 2
2. Alien Isolation
3. Drakengard 3 (All DLC included)

The rest of the games in (roughly) order of release, no ordering based on quality.

Jazzpunk
South Park The Stick of Truth
inFamous Second Son
BlazBlue Chronophantasma
Wolfenstein The New Order (not yet finished)
Transistor (not yet finished)
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends
Hyrule Warriors
Shadow of Mordor
Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Guilty Gear Xrd (soon to be played, I just know it'll be kick ass)

Top Bottom