• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

I'm saying anything like "OH MAN WHY DON'T YOU GUYS LIKE THIS GAME" or anything like that. Just that I'm disappointed at how much the community itself and Matt's total lack of interest in the game has completely killed some of the fun of this LP.

Well, like they said, they went in with high expectations and wanted a feel-good shitstorm bookend, but ended up being confused and disappointed with it as a blind playthrough. Most other blind playthroughs only had one person blind, and had stuff terrible or awesome enough to make them say hilarious shit. This was just middling, and to Matt, dissapointing.

I doubt they'd have chosen this as an LP if they had formed these opinions before they started playing. The golden rule Pat repeats is that they need to love or hate the game.

360pages

Gameplay is meh, not horrible or unplayable, but there are games that did it better.

The Story is legit garbage though, and people have every right to be pissed off at that shit. You don't get to set up your story as something serious and end it in a big dumb RE monster fight that leaves all questioned unresolved.

There is nothing concrete to grasp on to in TEW. The same thing applies to destiny.
It also depends if that bothers you. I'm really enjoying Destiny so far, but I don't care about the story one bit.

I fucking adore games that have a great narrative, but a dumb one attached to a mechanically sound game doesn't bother me.

Gameplay is meh, not horrible or unplayable, but there are games that did it better.

The Story is legit garbage though, and people have every right to be pissed off at that shit. You don't get to set up your story as something serious and end it in a big dumb RE monster fight that leaves all questioned unresolved.

That's the problem with TEW. In a world with Resident Evil, this was too much a RE/SH Mashup.

If anything, I blame Bethesda for this game turning out the way it did, because mechanically this is an ok game,but it has huge gaping problems. I really wish Shinji Mikami will get another chance to make something else that isn't survival horror. I have to imagine he's sick of survival horror.

Non-linear and obtuse storytelling still needs to nail down key things, such as:

how did Connolly turn and sebass didn't?
what is this organization Kidman works for and why is she after Ruvik's brain
how do Ruvik's powers work?
what were we reading in the diary notes about sebass and his daughters death?

It's dependent on the character. Joseph was turning, but was able to come back several times
Umbrella /jk
He's literally only a brain hooked up to machine that is powered by brains. I'm assuming the STEM device lets him tamper with actual reality as well
The same organization that Kidman works for is thought to be responsible for Lily Castellanos' death and Myra's disappearance

sjay1994

It also depends if that bothers you. I'm really enjoying Destiny so far, but I don't care about the story one bit.

I fucking adore games that have a great narrative, but a dumb one attached to a mechanically sound game doesn't bother me.

It doesn't bother me in destiny, because I have accepted the placed narrative that humans are fucking assholes who shoot at all foriegn species they do not understand, and will repeatedly commit deicide for pants and stuff.

Like you said, mechanically Destiny is perfectly fine (I have my gripes with some of TEW mechanics)

But just how TEW takes itself so seriously,drops plot points so fast and the fact every character but Seb and Joseph knows what is going on and you don't really fucking bothers me.

It really does.

Non-linear and obtuse storytelling still needs to nail down key things, such as:

how did Connolly turn and sebass didn't?
what is this organization Kidman works for and why is she after Ruvik's brain
how do Ruvik's powers work?
what were we reading in the diary notes about sebass and his daughters death?

There isn't anything to enable speculation and theories though. The game keeps presenting things to you, but doesn't explain what the thing is or its significance. The souls games items give people stuff to speculate and fill in the lore.

When it comes to Kidman and her whole organization, I hate to say it but it's pretty much confirmed we'll learn about that in DLC. Should it have been in the base game, absolutely. But 5 to 10 years from now that won't matter anymore and we'll have the whole story. Some people may say this is a cop out, but you know what? If RE4 was my first game in the series and I played it before the Ada stuff I would have wondered the exact same thing about her and who the hell she was.

As for Ruvik's powers, the guy in the cell whom I believe to be a part of Ruvik's brain that he locked away explicitly stated at one point that Ruvik likes to toy with people. If you're referring to how they actually work I personally chose to interpret it as him having an understanding of how the mind works so he was able to control anything within his own mind up to taking control of the weak willed such as Joseph but not able to break through to strong ones like Sebastian and Kidman.

This last one is a mighty big stretch, but I'm pretty sure that Kidman is his wife, Myra. I came to this conclusion upon seeing her scratched out missing persons poster near the end of the game. I may just be seeing things and if I am I'm just retarded, but if you try and make out what's under the scratches under Nickname it looks a lot like "Myra" to me. It doesn't give a whole lot of explanation as to why Sebatian doesn't recognize her or why she's even there but it could explain why that information is presented to you.

These are the types of things I'm talking about when I mention that people just take the game as face value of what others say about it and don't even attempt to think about the game and figure it out for themselves. Sure I'm likely wrong about some of this stuff and it's probably way dumber than I give it credit for, but the game makes me think about things and I like that. Sometimes I want a story spoon fed to me and that's fine too.

I doubt they'd have chosen this as an LP if they had formed these opinions before they started playing. The golden rule Pat repeats is that they need to love or hate the game.

Which is a good rule to go by, and Pat was actually enjoying the game at times where Matt just seemed to completely give up on it and not even try to consider anything about the game after a certain point. It's hard to bounce things off someone when they have no interest in what you're talking about.

grimmiq

Who would be hyped though? Classic JRPG fans? Final Fantasy fans? Square Enix fans? Shenmue 3 getting released would make Shenmue fans explode, everyone else though?

Reputation, how many discussions of best games of all time, best JRPGs, anything Square-Enix related, anything PS1 related eventually point towards FFVII?

A lot of people would buy it based entirely on how others talk about it..sure, a huge amount of those people would be greatly disappointed in what they get, but the pre-release hype would be there.

MormaPope

Banned
The game tries too hard to be serious and spoopy, but there isn't enough for me to be scared of and the plot is all over the place.

The premise is so cool though and the art looks really great in game.

The problem with The Evil Within is it doesn't deliver on that premise. Ruvik is essentially a dungeon master for DnD or the Cthulhu table top game, and yet he doesn't use any psychological tools at his disposal. Shit, is death really that scary compared to being trapped inside your own brain or someone else's brain forever? There are fates worse than death, yet Ruvik simply threatens the main character with a painful but quick death.

Dying in the traditional sense doesn't make sense given the premise and tone of the game. What if there was a sequence in the middle of the game where the main character seemingly escapes, attempts to tell his story to the police and other detectives, and then the police decide to lock the main character up and torture him for what feels like years? Or take that idea and extend it to main character living life normally for months and then shit hits the fan when he least expects it? Another sequence could've been a scripted death sequence, the main character thinks they're in a heavenly afterlife, and then it turns into hell instantly.

If you have complete control over someone's perception and reality, you can do truly terrible things. And yet, Ruvik is obsessed with zombies and rust.

It doesn't bother me in destiny, because I have accepted the placed narrative that humans are fucking assholes who shoot at all foriegn species they do not understand, and will repeatedly commit deicide for pants and stuff.

Like you said, mechanically Destiny is perfectly fine (I have my gripes with some of TEW mechanics)

But just how TEW takes itself so seriously,drops plot points so fast and the fact every character but Seb and Joseph knows what is going on and you don't really fucking bothers me.

It really does.
That's fair enough. I don't think that means the game is terrible, but I can see why it makes you upset. I can't say the bad narrative doesn't hurt the game, but I didn't think it was as severe. Different strokes n stuff.

Also, commiting Deicide for pants, is pretty cool :p

Hell Ruvik showed all the disposition of being able to torture someone in a brutal way, outside of just killing them.

That last boss is beyond disappointing. You don't even get to use the weapons or upgrades or anything you've worked on building the entire time you've been playing the game.

The problem with The Evil Within is it doesn't deliver on that premise. Ruvik is essentially a dungeon master for DnD or the Cthulhu table top game, and yet he doesn't use any psychological tools at his disposal. Shit, is death really that scary compared to being trapped inside your own brain or someone else's brain forever? There are fates worse than death, yet Ruvik simply threatens the main character with a painful but quick death.

Dying in the traditional sense doesn't make sense given the premise and tone of the game. What if there was a sequence in the middle of the game where the main character seemingly escapes, attempts to tell his story to the police and other detectives, and then the police decide to lock the main character up and torture him for what feels like years? Or take that idea and extend it to main character living life normally for months and then shit hits the fan when he least expects it?

If you have complete control over someone's perception and reality, you can do truly terrible things. And yet, Ruvik is obsessed with zombies and rust.

You seem to be forgetting the fact that this isn't just Ruvik's own world. They're all linked into him so he has the majority of control but this is just as much everyone else's brainscape as it is his own. He just has overwhelming power because of his understanding of the tech they're using to link each other together so he can alter the world.

I mean it says so on the back of the box!

360pages

You seem to be forgetting the fact that this isn't just Ruvik's own world. They're all linked into him so he has the majority of control but this is just as much everyone else's brainscape as it is his own. He just has overwhelming power because of his understanding of the tech they're using to link each other together so he can alter the world.

But that brings up the fact that we actually don't know how strong he is. And why would Ruvik give hints on how to kill himself?

MormaPope

Banned

If his goal, or rather, if the premise was to exploit universal fears that linger inside all of us, the game botched that premise completely. The characters themselves didn't seem to fazed by what was happening, they never seemed genuinely horrified, their behavior was that of typical action game characters. There's only so much dread and psychological fear that can be conjured by zombies, gross monsters, broken down cities, and gross interiors.

The premise is entirely psychological, and yet, the only psychological factor is being killed in some sort of hellish plane of reality.

sjay1994

When it comes to Kidman and her whole organization, I hate to say it but it's pretty much confirmed we'll learn about that in DLC. Should it have been in the base game, absolutely. But 5 to 10 years from now that won't matter anymore and we'll have the whole story. Some people may say this is a cop out, but you know what? If RE4 was my first game in the series and I played it before the Ada stuff I would have wondered the exact same thing about her and who the hell she was.

As for Ruvik's powers, the guy in the cell whom I believe to be a part of Ruvik's brain that he locked away explicitly stated at one point that Ruvik likes to toy with people. If you're referring to how they actually work I personally chose to interpret it as him having an understanding of how the mind works so he was able to control anything within his own mind up to taking control of the weak willed such as Joseph but not able to break through to strong ones like Sebastian and Kidman.

This last one is a mighty big stretch, but I'm pretty sure that Kidman is his wife, Myra. I came to this conclusion upon seeing her scratched out missing persons poster near the end of the game. I may just be seeing things and if I am I'm just retarded, but if you try and make out what's under the scratches under Nickname it looks a lot like "Myra" to me. It doesn't give a whole lot of explanation as to why Sebatian doesn't recognize her or why she's even there but it could explain why that information is presented to you.

These are the types of things I'm talking about when I mention that people just take the game as face value of what others say about it and don't even attempt to think about the game and figure it out for themselves. Sure I'm likely wrong about some of this stuff and it's probably way dumber than I give it credit for, but the game makes me think about things and I like that. Sometimes I want a story spoon fed to me and that's fine too.

Which is a good rule to go by, and Pat was actually enjoying the game at times where Matt just seemed to completely give up on it and not even try to consider anything about the game after a certain point. It's hard to bounce things off someone when they have no interest in what you're talking about.

Your theory about the
guy in the cell makes no sense. He literally says he can see what Ruvik is doing, but got curious. In the last chapter you find his body, and Seb says "poor guy, rest in peace". Its obvious he was a test subject for Ruvik. Problem is any other significance past that point is no where. Your theory about Ruviks powers also makes no sense, because Seb literally turned into a haunted once. And it was never brought up again, and Joseph just shrugs it of later. Its never even brought up again in the game.

Also, saying "if I played RE4 as my first RE and had no idea who Ada was" of course you would have no idea. You would be playing resident evil FOUR This is The Evil Within ONE

Hell even look at RE1, there is enough for people to grasp on the main plot, and then there is stuff left over in it to speculate on.

There is nothing to speculate, because the game just throws plot elements, and they do not connect.

Then why don't we the player get cool brain powers to relay this information to the player?

We should be slowly able to do some things that Ruvik could, like teleport or create monsters from nothing.

Fuck, what is even the green goo??! Dammit I want answers!

Then why don't we the player get cool brain powers to relay this information to the player?

We should be slowly able to do some things that Ruvik could, like teleport or create monsters from nothing.

Green goo is the lubricant that Sebastian used for the needles that went in his brain. That's why the more he had the more he could upgrade..thus making his experience more enjoyable <3

sjay1994

That's fair enough. I don't think that means the game is terrible, but I can see why it makes you upset. I can't say the bad narrative doesn't hurt the game, but I didn't think it was as severe. Different strokes n stuff.

Also, commiting Deicide for pants, is pretty cool :p

Its not a bad game.... it just pissed me off. Thats all. It is a case of different strokes. If the game didn't take itself so seriously, and just had a cohesive story I would be fine.

Could have been dumb as fuck, but if it was cohesive, I would be fine.

Revengeance's story is dumb as fuck..... but I love that game so fucking much.

So yeah, this is different strokes.

And yeah, commiting Deicide for pants with 5 friends is pretty fun.

MormaPope

Banned

It would be so goddamn hype if the main character and player, after being tormented and tortured for the entire game, is given the power to torment Ruvik to the point of complete insanity and then death. I survived your mind games, now I'll crush you, from the inside.

sjay1994

It would be so goddamn hype if the main character and player, after being tormented and tortured for the entire game, is given the power to torment Ruvik to the point of complete insanity and then death. I survived your mind games, now I'll crush you, from the inside.

That will be in the dlc.

At that point, then it's not survival-horror but action horror, but I wouldn't mind that at all. Having sebass become like Ruvik would've been a much better ending.

Xux

Well, I just don't trust the market when it comes to a JRPG. Granted, I would be more interested in FFXV over VII, but it really doesn't hinge on one person.

The official statement on why the Kingdom Hearts team switched engines is that, "Rendering issues," which translate to, "Luminous is fucking bullshit, and if we ever wanted this game to come out, we gotta get off this shit."

Luminous was the next gen engine of choice for Square, but other than Realm Reborn and XV, nothing else is using it, and it seems that this crap will just be another money pit for them.
ARR doesn't even use it, lol.

That will be in the dlc.

Fuck buying the DLC. I don't wish to support Bethesda for rushing this game.

In all seriousness I don't think the developers even had a back story for it..they just wanted some kind of currency and decided on green goo.

But in a game that lends itself to being super serial, you have to explain your game-y elements. I don't understand how shoving more green goo in my head can allow me to carry more ammo or do more damage. It's so silly.

But that brings up the fact that we actually don't know how strong he is. And why would Ruvik give hints on how to kill himself?

Crazy doesn't need an explanation!

If you're referring to the guy in the cell however, assuming my theory holds any ground there then I don't have a concrete answer for you but you can't tell me your own brain hasn't ever wanted to do something but another part of yourself was like "NO! DON'T DO THE THING!"

If that's not what you were referring to, hints throughout the game easily could have been influenced by the Doctor as he has at least a considerable amount of knowledge on the STEM thing as Ruvik does.

If his goal, or rather, if the premise was to exploit universal fears that linger inside all of us, the game botched that premise completely. The characters themselves didn't seem to fazed by what was happening, they never seemed genuinely horrified, their behavior was that of typical action game characters. There's only so much dread and psychological fear that can be conjured by zombies, gross monsters, broken down cities, and gross interiors.

The premise is entirely psychological, and yet, the only psychological factor is being killed in some sort of hellish plane of reality.

It's video games man...

No one wants to play a sniveling sack of shit that freaks out at every little thing.

Your theory about the
guy in the cell makes no sense. He literally says he can see what Ruvik is doing, but got curious. In the last chapter you find his body, and Seb says "poor guy, rest in peace". Its obvious he was a test subject for Ruvik. Problem is any other significance past that point is no where. Your theory about Ruviks powers also makes no sense, because Seb literally turned into a haunted once. And it was never brought up again, and Joseph just shrugs it of later. Its never even brought up again in the game.

Also, saying "if I played RE4 as my first RE and had no idea who Ada was" of course you would have no idea. You would be playing resident evil FOUR This is The Evil Within ONE

Hell even look at RE1, there is enough for people to grasp on the main plot, and then there is stuff left over in it to speculate on.

There is nothing to speculate, because the game just throws plot elements, and they do not connect.

Was it obvious he was a test subject? I didn't see anything that straight up confirmed that in any sense. You saw a body and he made a comment. Guess what, you saw hundreds of bodies over the course of the game and not one of them was real. A persons persona (not the cool kind) can very easily be seen as a person inside their own mind, not necessarily looking like the person itself but more based upon what that typical emotion is trying to convey. Maybe it was Fear. Maybe it was Ego. I don't know.

You're right that RE4 is a clear sequel while TEW is the start of it's own thing but that doesn't change my point. You still have no idea what Ada's real goals are in the game aside from the fact that she's there and you never would know unless you played that DLC.

There's plenty to speculate based upon my post that you quoted. You simply don't choose to speculate upon any of it and instead choose to ignore it.

MormaPope

Banned
That will be in the dlc.

We'll find out Kidman was actually Sebastian who was actually Leslie, and that their brains have been swapped so much that they don't remember who they originally were.

At that point, then it's not survival-horror but action horror, but I wouldn't mind that at all. Having sebass become like Ruvik would've been a much better ending.

Depending on everything leading up to that point, it could still be survival horror.

I actually do agree that as the game went on that we maybe should have been able to do some of the cool supernatural shit Ruvik could as well, but that's not the type of character Sebastian was presented as. He has no understanding of how that tech works outside of very brief glimpses into Ruvik's research.

The green goo is video games. :p

MormaPope

Banned
It's video games man...

No one wants to play a sniveling sack of shit that freaks out at every little thing.

The goal of horror titles should make the player feel like a sniveling sack of shit, and The Evil Within doesn't do that at all. Its videogames is also one of the most vapid retorts possible, I don't even get what you mean with that. Is this one of the only horror oriented games you've played?

I actually do agree that as the game went on that we maybe should have been able to do some of the cool supernatural shit Ruvik could as well, but that's not the type of character Sebastian was presented as. He has no understanding of how that tech works outside of very brief glimpses into Ruvik's research.

The green goo is video games. :p

Sebastian looks just as confused as most of us are and he's the one reading the notes and shit. I find that unacceptable that we didn't at the very least get a plot dump near the end, or an introspective monologue to summarize the events of the game. I can't accept a plot driven game having so many plot holes and lack of closure that may only be filled by DLC. That is poor writing and I don't give the development team a pass for poor writing.

The goal of horror titles should make the player feel like a sniveling sack of shit, and The Evil Within doesn't do that at all. Its videogames is also one of the most vapid retorts possible, I don't even get what you mean with that. Is this one of the only horror oriented games you've played?

Some of the things you're asking are simply unreasonable in this type of game though and surely you have to realize that. Some of the things you're wanting are better left to games like I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

Sebastian looks just as confused as most of us are and he's the one reading the notes and shit. I find that unacceptable that we didn't at the very least get a plot dump near the end, or an introspective monologue to summarize the events of the game. I can't accept a plot driven game having so many plot holes and lack of closure that may only be filled by DLC.

I agree that the big questions of the game being left up to DLC is pretty gross, but I still don't think that should be a black mark against the entire game as a whole and drag it down to the depths of what people deem as shit when even with its glaring tech and design issues the game is far from shit.

360pages

To be fair, Survival horror games have slowly been turning into action games with a Halloween skin slapped on them. Extra creditz did a really good episode about it. But the Evil within stops trying to scare you about the time you get the cross-bow.

Most of the tension comes from the constant 1-hit kills you will encounter.

To be fair, Survival horror games have slowly been turning into action games with a Halloween skin slapped on them. Extra creditz did a really good episode about it. But the Evil within stops trying to scare you about the time you get the cross-bow.

That's not tension then. That's trial and error. Alien:Isolation suffers from that as well and that game is a pure survival horror experience.

That's how the game has felt to me. It's less about scaring you with jump scares and more about the tension and ambiance of the moment, and I still felt the game did that great really far into the game.

And no I'm not referring to the one hit kills.

360pages

The one hit kill remark was more of a joke since it's pretty hard to be scared when you have a super crossbow that borderline makes most of the other weapons obsolete. (I was wondering why Pat wasn't just using that since it 1-shots all non boss foes anyway)

The more tools the player has the harder it is for them to feel scared. As a result, when they do make it so you can't use your weapons it feels cheap. They did some great environmental stuff in some areas. Like the eye area and the doll rooms.

More of that and less endless gore would have really made the game more eerie

Some of the things you're asking are simply unreasonable in this type of game though and surely you have to realize that. Some of the things you're wanting are better left to games like I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

I agree that the big questions of the game being left up to DLC is pretty gross, but I still don't think that should be a black mark against the entire game as a whole and drag it down to the depths of what people deem as shit when even with its glaring tech and design issues the game is far from shit.

You are being way too generous about this game.

I never said the whole experience is bad, but it's a mediocre game. The rushed QA work, the poor plot closure, some very Limp moments and bad boss designs taking the tension out of the game... The game is a 5.

MormaPope

Banned

Nope. Resident Evil 4 has more unsettling and terrifying moments than The Evil Within. Alien Versus Predator 2 on PC has a ton of tense and scary moments, and that's a FPS. STALKER on PC, another FPS, is oozing with dread, depression, and terror. AvP2 works as a horror game because getting flooded against by insanely fast Alien enemies is terrifying. STALKER design wise encourages the player to scrounge for everything to survive, dying in STALKER feels like a decent fate in that universe.

If The Evil Within couldn't work as a horror title, then it shouldn't be a horror title.

360pages

The game is about a 6-7 most likely. Not bad, but very flawed, saying it's a worse version of RE4 with stealth elements is pretty much the nail on the head. It has better enemy designs, and areas. But in terms of gameplay it's far below that game.

The game feels like it needed 3-4 more months to cook to iron everything out

Top Bottom