• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

You are being way too generous about this game.

I never said the whole experience is bad, but it's a mediocre game. The rushed QA work, the poor plot closure, some very Limp moments and bad boss designs taking the tension out of the game... The game is a 5.

And you guys are being way too harsh. It's not unplayable and it's a really fun game.

And please don't bring scores into this. I cannot stand fucking scores.

Hey guys, did you know the same thing will bother different people more or less?

This argument is getting to where you're stating something and the only elaboration is "this bothers me" or "it's fine".

MormaPope

Banned
And you guys are being way too harsh. It's not unplayable and it's a really fun game.

I've pointed out how it could've been better, which you met with:

"Its a videogame, c'mon."
"This isn't the type of game or genre to have more horror elements."
"Who wants to be scared or who wants characters to be scared?"

Harsh? I'm being really lenient with the game. I really like the premise and the art and the monster designs and the environments.

I never called it unplayable nor called it a boring game, but you can't say with a straight face that this is a great game. It certainly could be a great game if all of its issues were ironed out in a re-release, but as is and with the plot unfolding the way it did, I can only say that I find the game mediocre.

sjay1994

Was it obvious he was a test subject? I didn't see anything that straight up confirmed that in any sense. You saw a body and he made a comment. Guess what, you saw hundreds of bodies over the course of the game and not one of them was real. A persons persona (not the cool kind) can very easily be seen as a person inside their own mind, not necessarily looking like the person itself but more based upon what that typical emotion is trying to convey. Maybe it was Fear. Maybe it was Ego. I don't know.

You're right that RE4 is a clear sequel while TEW is the start of it's own thing but that doesn't change my point. You still have no idea what Ada's real goals are in the game aside from the fact that she's there and you never would know unless you played that DLC.

There's plenty to speculate based upon my post that you quoted. You simply don't choose to speculate upon any of it and instead choose to ignore it.

Except if you played RE4, you at least have the satisfaction of completing the main quest of saving Ashley. You didn't need Assignment Ada to understand that. Just to understand what she was doing there. Everything else in the game is present to the player, from Luis's notes, to the las plagas. I mean, the fucking credits of that game shows how Sadler got the Ganados infected.

And not to mention, if you played RE2, you have an idea of who Ada is.

There is no satisfaction to completing TEW

And on the patient topic, are you really trying to push the idea that part of Ruviks mind is telling you how to beat Ruvik, all while referring to himself in third person? And that body is the only body seb comments on. You telling me part of Ruviks mind suddenly just fucking died? And speaking of parts of Ruviks mind dying, why does only the Chainsaw guy and the Quell turn into blood?

And also, nothing in the game gives you details on the enemies you are fighting, the model viewer does. The tentacle monster is Ruviks desire to hide from others, safeman is his rage.

The game itself has nothing to convey this.

And don't tell me I am ignoring shit. I played the game 4 times before the LP even started, and everytime I keep seeing how fucking disconnected everything is. I even read all the documents and found all the audio tapes. All they do is show you how evil Ruvik is.

Thats it.

MormaPope

Banned
It's a horror title. A horror title is more than tension, it's atmosphere and art design.
The Evil Within is not scary, but that doesn't mean it's not a horror game.

Those elements alone are not enough to carry horror titles. Silent Hill 2 without its story but with the same atmosphere and art style wouldn't be the same. Fatal Frame revolving around shooting ghosts instead of using a camera wouldn't be the same.

I'll choose to bow out here on the TEW subject. All it really boils down to is that I enjoyed the game, but because of negatively from the community and one half of the LP'ers it really dragged down and otherwise fun watch near the end. If you want to call me a quitter go for it, but I feel as if we're just going to go in circles now and it's getting kind of late.

If anyone wants to pick up the discussion tomorrow let me know.

sjay1994

It's either lewdGaf or heated conversations about Evil Within

frienders pls

There is only one thing to do.

To unviel the true nature of best GAF.

The true self : ShadowGAF

shadow-the-hedgehog-gunshot-o.gif

WE ARE ALL WE ARE.

Those elements alone are not enough to carry horror titles. Silent Hill 2 without its story but with the same atmosphere and art style wouldn't be the same. Fatal Frame revolving around shooting ghosts instead of using a camera wouldn't be the same.

I should have phrased my response better. I disagree on the point that the Evil Within doesn't work as a horror title. It has all the trappings of one, but doesn't take full advantage of the circumstances it sets up for itself. This doesn't stop the game from being a horror title.

It's either lewdGaf or heated conversations about Evil Within

frienders pls

Usually when I get involved in a conversation it gets heated because I have strong opinions on things while also simultaneously having the inability to express it in ways that make sense.

Xiraiya and I were just talking about it and he found a comment on Youtube that explains it far better than I ever could. I asked him to come post it here but if he doesn't I will.

I should get back to ARR. WoW isn't doing it for me any more.

It's fantastic. Just downed Turn 13 with my group last week. \o/

Xiraiya

So the end of EW was interesting, that game has issues but I liked the ending better than I thought, it probably shouldn't have been so vague but I assume that Pat missed stuff here and there.

A comment I saw from YT that sums up my interpretation of the end, spoilers

That wasn't Leslie at the end. That was Ruvik inside Leslie's body. Ruvik achieved what he wanted. "You cannot keep me here." Leslie was the only person compatible with Ruvik. That's why Kidman wanted to kill Leslie. If Lelie lives, Ruvik has a chance to get out. Remeber that Ruvik melts Leslie when he touched him. I think this is where Ruvik got into Leslie's body.

Each monster represented some aspect of ruviks sinful, twisted and tortured mind. The alter ego, sadness over his sister, heresy, trauma, etc. The Keeper was Ruviks secrets. In one of the recordings in chapter 7 where you first meet The Keeper Ruvik metions his safe being cracked opened. Probably Jimmenez since you know, he published his work with his name. The chainsaw guys was some psycopath that he experimented on. Remember Jimenez talking to Ruvik about those experiemnting on people.

Ruvik is still alive. We don't know what happened to Myra, Seabass' daughter, Joeseph or who Kidman really works for. Remember that jacket at Part 29 24:33? Don't you think that was oddly placed? I don't know. We probably won't get the full story until the DLC is released or a possible sequel."

I assume the original mind experiment resulted in Ruvik obtaining supernatural powers somehow, it was never said that it was just for the dream world or anything like that, but as a stationary brain, he could only use them in a small radius, so he was looking for a body to get out in.

I didn't mind it, it could have been explained a little better while still keeping the mystery.

Absolutely nothing. People argued about bullshit for several pages.

So is the USF PC port worth getting? Online isn't laggy garbage?

I don't know first hand but I've heard nothing but praise. Only negative is that people are shit and that they don't lock their framerates occasionally.

Alright thanks. I just wanted an opinion before I bought it since the Steam reviews were basically an angry mob.

It's only as bad as the people playing, I'm pretty sure. The launch netcode was worse, IIRC.

Alright I'll defiantly be picking it up soon then.

So is the USF PC port worth getting? Online isn't laggy garbage?

Alright thanks. I just wanted an opinion before I bought it since the Steam reviews were basically an angry mob.

Alright I'll defiantly be picking it up soon then.

Ranked netcode can get pretty bad, alot of the negative feedback you might be seeing is in regards to the 1.03 patch promising netcode improvements that never came to fruition. Endless is serviceable, assuming both players have a decent connection you shouldn't have too many issues.

Ranked netcode can get pretty bad, alot of the negative feedback you might be seeing is in regards to the 1.03 patch promising netcode improvements that never came to fruition. Endless is serviceable, assuming both players have a decent connection you shouldn't have too many issues.

My ping is normally around 50 assuming that it runs on Steam and not GFWL correct?

MormaPope

Banned
Eh, i'm not going to get into this argument full scale, but he's a successful profitable video game character.

He's doing fine.

Up until Sonic Boom, the franchise was at its best shape since the original Genesis games. Sonic Generations smacks SA1 and SA2.

Village

Up until Sonic Boom, the franchise was at its best shape since the original Genesis games. Sonic Generations smacks SA1 and SA2.

Lost world happened, that was bad. For reasons unrelated to gameplay, that was some full blown identity crisis shit.

Also boom as a product is successful outside of the quality of the games so, he's doing pretty good.

Top Bottom