• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Anung

Un Rama
To be fair they both were, but Pat was at least attempting to enjoy the game whereas Matt wasn't even paying attention half the time near the end.

I think I meant more that you could tell how disinterested Matt was from the start. Which doesn't make for entertaining commentary. Liam and Pat would have been way better.

croten

I think I meant more that you could tell how disinterested Matt was from the start. Which doesn't make for entertaining commentary. Liam and Pat would have been way better.

Liam should have been involved in some way just because he really liked the game, he also knew what parts would have been awful and could have helped during some of the convoluted parts

croten

It seemed more like extreme ignorance than shitting on it. As youtube comments have said (-_-) at lot of his problems seemed to come from his lack of paying attention than the game.

Most of his problems with the game were technical. The letterboxing, framerate, constant crashes. I don't think his attention had anything to do with that. I think his only big gripe with the game itself were the bosses being horribly designed

Archgan

Most of his problems with the game were technical. The letterboxing, framerate, constant crashes. I don't think his attention had anything to do with that. I think his only big gripe with the game itself were the bosses being horribly designed

I think he also thought the movement could be improved but otherwise he seemed to like the actual mechanics of the game.

Anung

Un Rama

A lot of his gameplay gripes, problems in moment to moment encounters and puzzles would have been avoided if he payed attention or took it slower (mattless). Thats more a problem with the LP format I guess.

It seemed more like extreme ignorance than shitting on it. As youtube comments have said (-_-) at lot of his problems seemed to come from his lack of paying attention than the game.

Letterboxing, the PC crashes, the PS4 errors are his fault?

People were getting upset at him doing a double blind LP and him missing items and green goo when he's also talking to Matt.

I don't envy either of them for the shit they get on the Youtube comments, because trying to LP a game and talk to someone and make the commentary interesting is not an easy task.

A lot of his gameplay gripes, problems in moment to moment encounters and puzzles would have been avoided if he payed attention or took it slower (mattless). Thats more a problem with the LP format I guess.

The problem was doing a double blind LP. People don't like watching bad gameplay.

croten

Again, he didn't have a lot of gameplay gripes. Mostly just the bosses, I still don't understand how that giant monster thing is supposed to be stealthed.

Anung

Un Rama
Letterboxing, the PC crashes, the PS4 errors are his fault?

People were getting upset at him doing a double blind LP and him missing items and green goo when he's also talking to Matt.

I don't envy either of them for the shit they get on the Youtube comments, because trying to LP a game and talk to someone and make the commentary interesting is not an easy task.

I'm talking about the gameplay obviously. Check my previous comment.

Anung

Un Rama
Again, he didn't have a lot of gameplay gripes. Mostly just the bosses, I still don't understand how that giant monster thing is supposed to be stealthed.

I mean problems he had while actually playing the game. Not his opinions of the mechanics. The problems he had in the moment to moment gameplay. (puzzles, enemies, etc)

croten

I mean problems he had while actually playing the game. Not his opinions of the mechanics. The problems he had in the moment to moment gameplay. (puzzles, enemies, etc)

I don't remember him having much trouble. Most of his failures were during boss fights, if you're talking about him missing collectables then I don't understand, they have never tried to do 100% runs before.

He played pretty well, all things considered. Go to the TEW thread and there are people still Chapters behind where he is with many more hours of gameplay.

The game is pretty lengthy for a survival horror experience. It's longer than A:I I can say that for certain.

Anung

Un Rama
The problem was doing a double blind LP. People don't like watching bad gameplay.

No, the problem with a double blind is that people don't like watching 2 people who have no idea what they are talking about/doing. It works best when one of them at least has an inkling so they can guide the other and minimize the frustration factor for the player and the viewer.

The Evil Within's gameplay is great. Watching someone struggle with it isn't.

joe2187

Banned
No, the problem with a double blind is that people don't like watching 2 people who have no idea what they are talking about/doing. It works best when one of them at least has an inkling so they can guide the other and minimize the frustration factor for the player and the viewer.

I wouldnt go that far, for the type of game TEW is, the game itself is too buggy and janky for the combat to mesh well with me. Even after knowing all the weaknesses and strategies the game itself feels like it's struggling to keep up.

TEW's gameplay is okay, not great. It could be great, but there are too many technical issues.

The biggest hindrance in the game is the camera. It needs to be pulled back.

Anung

Un Rama
TEW's gameplay is okay, not great. It could be great, but there are too many technical issues.

The biggest hindrance in the game is the camera. It needs to be pulled back.

Letterboxing is the games biggest problem (especially in a game laden with traps). The camera is fine and all the tech problems the game has (lots) didn't detract from how great the gameplay is.

More like the lesson learned from this needs to be not to put someone into an LP they have no interest in doing.

Matt toward the end really killed it for me.

Can't agree more. Matt just didn't give a shit and Pat kept trying to get him engaged with the story. Hell, Solo Pat would have worked better.

I wonder if Matt will actually step up as CEO and play the DLC.

croten

Letterboxing is the games biggest problem (especially in a game laden with traps). The camera is fine and all the tech problems the game has (lots) didn't detract from how great the gameplay is.

I don't know, nothing about the gameplay seemed great to me. It looks like it's trying to be a mix of RE4 and The Last of us and get's stuck somewhere in the middle.

After the migration to Steamworks, i wanted to do another SL1 run, but on the PC this time at 60 fps. I forgot how much of an asshole bonewheel skeletons are. Fuck the catacombs.

I don't know, nothing about the gameplay seemed great to me. It looks like it's trying to be a mix of RE4 and The Last of us and get's stuck somewhere in the middle.

I don't mind the cross between TLOU and RE4. Tango is a relatively small studio, so for them to pump out TEW with 4 years of work (and If I had to guess, the scavenger mechanic was Bethesda's idea), it's a great project from a small team. The expectations and reality however are not equal.

I see TEW as how I see/saw Alpha Protocol. There's great ideas in there but the whole isn't cohesive.

croten

I don't mind the cross between TLOU and RE4. Tango is a relatively small studio, so for them to pump out TEW with 4 years of work (and If I had to guess, the scavenger habit was Bethesda's idea), it's a great project from a small team. The expectations and reality however are not equal.

I see TEW as how I see/saw Alpha Protocol. There's great ideas in there but the whole isn't cohesive.

I agree, the combination could have been great but unfortunately it just wasn't as good as either. I wouldn't call it bad but I wouldn't call it great either

Xiraiya

I liked the EW LP overall, there have definitely been far worse LPs than that, so I think people are just being dramatic, but I do actually agree that Pat and Liam would have been a better fit for this one considering how they had been going on about it on earlier Podcast episodes.
I quite liked EW's story, it had some issues in presentation, but if you paid attention it's actually fine.

Fun fact: The solo ep was the best in the whole LP.
Yeah, I'll agree with that.

I agree, the combination could have been great but unfortunately it just wasn't as good as either. I wouldn't call it bad but I wouldn't call it great either

I'd love to see the design docs and dev diaries for the game, because there's just so much in there that shows why Shinji Mikami is good at creating survival horror games.

I have a feeling the things I don't like about the game are Bethesda's fault.

ultimax

50b0ecb26fc07.gif

Top Bottom