• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Zenfalcia

Seems like I don't watch much anime that have it. I mean, if you want to kiss a girl, the only thing you need is a bottle, right?
And I am glad I have watched Nozaki-kun, because making fun of those trops is way more entertaning than seeing them.

yes, you certainly don't. If you want to kiss a girl all you have to do is trip and grope her chest while accidentally kissing her.
thank god

You'd love to see that.

Xiraiya

I had an idea awhile ago for a JRPG style game where you would have a protagonist who makes you think he'll be important,and you also recruit party members and allies who seem kind of bland and generic at first, like nothing NPCs, and then over time forged into their own unique and awesome looking characters throughout your battles/experience, and have dynamics in how they interact, actions such as healing an ally, or using an item on them often enough might make them start to rely on you more, or each other more.

So to cut this short, the idea would be like that different strategies and ways of fighting would have an effect on your personal relationship with characters in your party and trigger different scenes, so maybe you have this one female you want your protagonist to get with, but this other guy is often helping her out, the odds are, unless you find a way to turn things around, she's eventually going to want to be with that guy.

But you can be a dick if you want and tell him to essentially leave the party, the girl will be unhappy and if he suspects you got rid of him for a specific reason, he might just fuck off and become your rival for that playthrough, help out the people you're up against or re-appear at different points to challenge you and each time he might seem a little more unique looking or more OP in general and just be a real thorn in your side because you were being a shit.

Alot of this stuff sounds fairly advanced but I have a fair idea of how it would be done practically without seeming shallow.

Zenfalcia

I had an idea awhile ago for a JRPG style game where you would have a protagonist who makes you think he'll be important,and you also recruit party members and allies who seem kind of bland and generic at first, like nothing NPCs, and then over time forged into their own unique and awesome looking characters throughout your battles/experience, and have dynamics in how they interact, actions such as healing an ally, or using an item on them often enough might make them start to rely on you more, or each other more.

So to cut this short, the idea would be like that different strategies and ways of fighting would have an effect on your personal relationship with characters in your party and trigger different scenes, so maybe you have this one female you want your protagonist to get with, but this other guy is often helping her out, the odds are, unless you find a way to turn things around, she's eventually going to want to be with that guy.

But you can be a dick if you want and tell him to essentially leave the party, the girl will be unhappy and if he suspects you got rid of him for a specific reason, he might just fuck off and become your rival for that playthrough, help out the people you're up against or re-appear at different points to challenge you and each time he might seem a little more unique looking or more OP in general and just be a real thorn in your side because you were being a shit.

Alot of this stuff sounds fairly advanced but I have a fair idea of how it would be done practically without seeming shallow.

That's quite indepth and complicated to impliment. You'd have to take into account how everyone will react at different levels of "trust" and how much dialogue will change. Would it be story related or just a side thing to the story.

Xiraiya

That's quite indepth and complicated to impliment. You'd have to take into account how everyone will react at different levels of "trust" and how much dialogue will change. Would it be story related or just a side thing to the story.

It would be side stuff primarily, but there would be a few times where your party's dynamic would seriously impact how certain pivotal points of the story would go, be it because they need to have faith in you, or if they won't get along or even if you're on your own.

There are alot of ways to cut down on the complications, the most complicated part would in theory be the dialogue writing, because you would have it where it's like "If A and B requirements are met, C Scene happens with X Character" so the "Rival trigger scene" would just be more or less the same regardless of the character in that situation (If someone triggers it), just that their dialogue and so on would be different.

Oberon

Banned

That seems quite complicated, but if the entire battle system and game is centered around this then it might work.
It would be interesting to also have a perma death function

yes, you certainly don't. If you want to kiss a girl all you have to do is trip and grope her chest while accidentally kissing her.

Needs more *bluching* and "B-baka!"

Zenfalcia

I'll look it up some day. I remember reading a doujin where Nagato from Haruhi became a Yandere and kept feeding Kyon her curry. Too cute.

Sounds like a cute doujin.
It would be side stuff primarily, but there would be a few times where your party's dynamic would seriously impact how certain pivotal points of the story would go, be it because they need to have faith in you, or if they won't get along or even if you're on your own.

how far would the party dynamic go? Would it affect some story points, such as you having a headstrong teammate that acts on instict and gets himself gravely injured trying to save the day. Would there be romances and how would it affect the group?

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I started watching the Fate/Stay series.

Goddamn, the animation and drawings are good. What do you other Frienders think of it?

Xiraiya

That seems quite complicated, but if the entire battle system and game is centered around this then it might work.
It would be interesting to also have a perma death function
A Perma death function would be nice for party members, but it would greatly depend on the overall balance of the game, because you don't want it to be THAT easy to lose your whole party.

But part of the reason why dynamic and relationships would be important is because it would cause your party to become more automated over time.
So in the beginning it might seem like most JRPGs where you're controlling what everyone does, but towards the end of the game they would reliably do A in B situation and C in D Situation and so on because of how they feel about eachother.

how far would the party dynamic go? Would it affect some story points, such as you having a headstrong teammate that acts on instict and gets himself gravely injured trying to save the day. Would there be romances and how would it affect the group?
How set in stone that stuff would be depends, I think characters would definitely have stuff like different personality types that would make them prone to doing certain things, like you might have this one guy who is a huge flirt, so he by default will ALWAYS try to save any female party members, unless he is made to hate one of them, there would be some romances, but that would be something I'd put more thought into later if the core concept was proven to work.

Zenfalcia

A Perma death function would be nice for party members, but it would greatly depend on the overall balance of the game, because you don't want it to be THAT easy to lose your whole party.

But part of the reason why dynamic and relationships would be important is because it would cause your party to become more automated over time.

So in the beginning it might seem like most JRPGs where you're controlling what everyone does, but towards the end of the game they would reliably do A in B situation and C in D Situation and so on because of how they feel about eachother.

So in the end of the game it'll be like persona 3? You only controlling your own action, but giving tactics to teammates or do they not even listen to you?

Mathaou

legacy of cane

Goddamn, the animation and drawings are good. What do you other Frienders think of it?

I've only seen Zero, and that was really good. I didn't like it as much as some people, who think it's the second coming of anime christ.

croten

It's fucking amazing. I've stopped watching it simply because waiting each week for a new episode is killing me, I want to marathon it in one go.

Xiraiya

So in the end of the game it'll be like persona 3? You only controlling your own action, but giving tactics to teammates or do they not even listen to you?

I guess you wouldn't want to disable the ability to give tactics if you needed them to, so it would be more like they'll automatically help you and each other out much more reliably, but if you need one of them to do this specific thing, then they'll do it if you tell them.

So really, you want them to care about you as a leader so that they listen, and you want them to care about eachother through all the stuff they've been through together, so you get the feeling your whole story had lead up to this moment of unbelievable teamwork that can't be stopped.
That would be the intention at least.

But basically their "AI" and how capable and/or reliable it is would depend on how you've handled them the whole game.

Zenfalcia

VagabondRêveur;144174373 said:
I noticed Plague's Deviant Art page isn't listed in the info. It's linked in the description of his Katia Managan video .

huh, you actually read it? Thanks for bringing it up, i'll add it now.
I guess you wouldn't want to disable the ability to give tactics if you needed them to, so it would be more like they'll automatically help you and each other out much more reliably, but if you need one of them to do this specific thing, then they'll do it if you tell them.

So really, you want them to care about you as a leader so that they listen, and you want them to care about eachother through all the stuff they've been through together, so you get the feeling your whole story had lead up to this moment of unbelievable teamwork that can't be stopped.
That would be the intention at least.

would they not listen to you if you're in a bad relationship? It'd have to really stress on good relationships, if that's the main point of the game.

other questions include: And how would recruiting members work? Would you be able to build relationships indirectly through interactions with others or doing things with non-party members? There's too much to think about.

Xiraiya

If the system works like I assume it does, the A.I systems would work on equations based on player affinity and player trust.
More or less, there's plenty of ways you can make that work, their AI would have to take in equations on their affinity to other party members as well and prioritize accordingly.

The biggest issue I can foresee is them ending up too intrusive and wasteful from wanting to help eachother so much which would be incredibly annoying for the Player, but you also don't want the dynamic stuff to almost feel kind of pointless if they don't do stuff that often.

Zenfalcia

If the system works like I assume it does, the A.I systems would work on equations based on player affinity and player trust.

Hmm.. that'll be interesting.
If that's the case, it would be such a huge turnoff, at least to me.

It would depend how it is done, it could be very fun to use.
VagabondRêveur;144175408 said:
Although long, I find his descriptions entertaining. This one was very basic though.

Yeah.. i couldn't think of a funny one, so i just made it super basic.

Xiraiya

would they not listen to you if you're in a bad relationship? It'd have to really stress on good relationships, if that's the main point of the game.
other questions include: And how would recruiting members work? Would you be able to build relationships indirectly through interactions with others or doing things with non-party members? There's too much to think about.
If the relationship was REALLY bad then they might just be like fuck you and do whatever they want (Probably just leave at that point) but mainly they probably wouldn't do anything helpful on their own, they'd just maybe attack, it's not something I've spent too long thinking about because I'm not really in a position to do anything with it, it's mainly just a rough idea I had, I should write it all down somewhere but effort.

The recruiting stuff would probably be either story based or situational, like you decided to go into this one bar in town and you found a guy you can recruit, but you can go through the game without ever meeting him.

Guys..my waifu tastes are changing..hair is growing in places it never grew before..my voice is growing more moe...I..I'm so scared I don't know what's happening..maybe I need a cheezy 1980's film to explain it to me.

New Avatar..cautiously lewd edition.

Zenfalcia

If the relationship was REALLY bad then they might just be like fuck you and do whatever they want (Probably just leave at that point) but mainly they probably wouldn't do anything helpful on their own, they'd just maybe attack, it's not something I've spent too long thinking about because I'm not really in a position to do anything with it, it's mainly just a rough idea I had, I should write it all down somewhere but effort.

The recruiting stuff would probably be either story based or situational, like you decided to go into this one bar in town and you found a guy you can recruit, but you can go through the game without ever meeting him.

That's what i'm thinking too. You could get super in depth and change who you can recruit if you're being a bad person, such as delinquents etc.

Sounds about right, but would it be limated to special days, which you have a certain time to recruit people or just they're always going to be there and you just need to go and get him or her? Would it be possible to recruit everyone that is possibly recruitable? Yeah.. i have tons of questions...

Might as well write it down so you will have all your ideas down for when the opportunity arises.

Yo guys. Anyone watching Yuki Yuna. I just caught up with it and man did shit go dark real quick.

I also need to catch up with Fate Stay. Watched the original series and was good but went downhill quick. Haven't watched zero yet.

New Wii U, believe
Chirst that would be even worse sales than the vanilla Wii U
Nintendo is never not working on a new console. That's why stories like that always make me laugh. It's not even news.

Something that isn't being unveiled til 2016. By all finicial reports, and the horrible Wii U sales, we already knew that this is going to be a short Nintendo cycle.
Ah alright, it's nothing then. I will carry on

Zenfalcia

While you are adding things, you should probably add a link the the facebook page.

For which? Link for the sbf facebook page?
VagabondRêveur;144176857 said:
Oh, I thought you meant his video lol My mistake. Yours is fine.

There's so much i want to fix on the OT.. like the banners.. and maybe get christmas sbf pictures.. i probably won't do it soon, but oh well.

Top Bottom