• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wonder if they know THQ is dead. Feels weird to see their logo in something that aired just a couple weeks ago.

rTR4I1j.jpg

Xiraiya

That's what i'm thinking too. You could get super in depth and change who you can recruit if you're being a bad person, such as delinquents etc.

Sounds about right, but would it be limated to special days, which you have a certain time to recruit people or just they're always going to be there and you just need to go and get him or her? Would it be possible to recruit everyone that is possibly recruitable? Yeah.. i have tons of questions...

The special days/limited time things sounds interesting but I think mainly I'd want to keep it a bit more of an old RPG vibe in the sense that you would come across people that are recruitable.

In Arcanum for example, the amount of people you could have in your party was dependent on your charisma, I think it started at 2 and with Maximum Charisma you could have 8 people, my idea in the JRP sense though was just a part of like 4, 3 followers + You, but that was just an initial thought.

But in Arcanum you would come across people in different towns, like you could recruit this drunk in a tavern in the first town, he didn't look particularly special, but he would join you, then there were things like a goddamn Skeleton at the bottom of a crumbling temple who looked exactly like every enemy skeleton in that area, yet if you spoke to him, he'd tell you his story and you'd get a quest to restore his flesh where he ends up being this thousand year old badass warrior who wants to see how the world changed.

So they were all over the place, some of them having quests, others just kind of living their life, which is what I really liked as a concept for finding followers.

Guys..my waifu tastes are changing..hair is growing in places it never grew before..my voice is growing more moe...I..I'm so scared I don't know what's happening..maybe I need a cheezy 1980's film to explain it to me.

New Avatar..cautiously lewd edition.

She'd violently rip you in two if she ever saw that.

Zenfalcia

VagabondRêveur;144177301 said:
I'd be happy to help with whatever.

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind if i make another OT.
The special days/limited time things sounds interesting but I think mainly I'd want to keep it a bit more of an old RPG vibe in the sense that you would come across people that are recruitable.

In Arcanum for example, the amount of people you could have in your party was dependent on your charisma, I think it started at 2 and with Maximum Charisma you could have 8 people, my idea in the JRP sense though was just a part of like 4, 3 followers + You, but that was just an initial thought.

But in Arcanum you would come across people in different towns, like you could recruit this drunk in a tavern in the first town, he didn't look particularly special, but he would join you, then there were things like a goddamn Skeleton at the bottom of a crumbling temple who looked exactly like every enemy skeleton in that area, yet if you spoke to him, he'd tell you his story and you'd get a quest to restore his flesh.

So they were all over the place, some of them having quests, others just kind of living their life, which is what I really liked as a concept for finding followers.

you could have mix of both, like special events of saving someone from drowning which only happens on a specifc day or else they'd be dead forever.

That sounds cool, just recruitable people all over. You'd also have to think of story reasons why everything works the way it does, the game can't just run on an interesting game mechanic.

By "they" I'm not talking about Pat & Vanna, of course. :lol I meant Sony Pictures, who produces the show.
Oh seriously? For some reason I just think of the wheel of fortune as being run by a bunch of old people
THQ studio is gone, but their assets are still alive, aren't they?
I have no clue. Seeing as how some games got a reprint taking the logo out I'm not sure how is being handled

Xiraiya

That sounds cool, just recruitable people all over. You'd also have to think of story reasons why everything works the way it does, the game can't just run on an interesting game mechanic.

Nah, just be a bunch of cool people fighting all over the land and doing dumb shit
I'm kidding, of course there would be a story.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's owned by the children of Merv Griffith, The dude who used to produce a ton of game shows. He also produced Jeopardy.

Speaking of that, I wonder who's going to replace Sajak/Vanna/Trebek when they retire. Sajak's nearly 70, so he doesn't have too many years on the show left unless he goes all Bob Barker and stays on until he's basically a walking skeleton (with all due respect to Barker, who is the greatest). Trebek's 74, so he's even closer to retirement, and Vanna's nearly 60, so I guess she can still go for a while longer (especially considering how damn good she looks for her age).

So many of the late night/game show hosts I grew up watching are either gone or going to be gone within a few years. Carson, Leno, Letterman (in May), Barker, and soon most likely Sajak and Trebek.

Zenfalcia

Nah, just be a bunch of cool people fighting all over the land and doing dumb shit
I'm kidding, of course there would be a story.

Actually it'd be hilarious if you were just doing all the fighting just because, with no deep story reasons. Or the story would depend on the quests the player chooses. Have multiple endings including no ending.

Speaking of that, I wonder who's going to replace Sajak/Vanna/Trebek when they retire. Sajak's nearly 70, so he doesn't have too many years on the show left unless he goes all Bob Barker and stays on until he's basically a walking skeleton (with all due respect to Barker, who is the greatest). Trebek's 74, so he's even closer to retirement, and Vanna's nearly 60, so I guess she can still go for a while longer (especially considering how damn good she looks for her age).

So many of the late night/game show hosts I grew up watching are either gone or going to be gone within a few years. Carson, Leno, Letterman (in May), Barker, and soon most likely Sajak and Trebek.

Vanna is 60?!

She looks incredible for her age.

Xiraiya

Actually it'd be hilarious if you were just doing all the fighting just because, with no deep story reasons. Or the story would depend on the quests the player chooses. Have multiple endings including no ending.

Yeah I had actually contemplated the possibility of your actions maybe triggering how involved you are with the story, like maybe you'll become the focus point of the story with a direct antagonist, or the world at large would have to find other means and you can be more of an outside 3rd party aid or something, there's a lot of really interesting ways it could be done.

Zenfalcia

I keep fighting to find that answer.

Part 2 of game is called the answer and it'll be all dungeoning.
Yeah I had actually contemplated the possibility of your actions maybe triggering how involved you are with the story, like maybe you'll become the focus point of the story with a direct antagonist, or the world at large would have to find other means and you can be more of an outside 3rd party aid or something, there's a lot of really interesting ways it could be done.

It sounds like a good idea, but i wonder how it effort it would take to actually impliment them. Multiple "main" quests and side quests specific to each "main" quest.. too many possilities of what you can do.

Zenfalcia

I think that's the only time where I didn't like the combat in P3:FES

Apparently the Answer makes the direct connection from P2:Eternal Punishment to P3, but I haven't played either yet.

I haven't played it yet.. i want to but don't want to at the same time.

someday you will. Maybe years from now.

Xiraiya

It sounds like a good idea, but i wonder how it effort it would take to actually impliment them. Multiple "main" quests and side quests specific to each "main" quest.. too many possilities of what you can do.

A vague Idea I had was that since the ideal good ending would be that you're the hero guy with all his friends being this amazing team saving the world with their skills and everything they accumulated throughout the game and rad stuff like that.

That the real "bad" (Depending on your perspective) ending would be that you would eventually realize that you are the antagonist facing off against the world and also the people who would have been by your side in another life if you had been different.
As kind of a point where in the end, you're fighting a difference in ideals more so than a pure evil or some such thing.

What is the connection between that and aliens? It's one of the most bizarre memes I've ever seen.
Can't you just like a dumb thing for being a dumb thing? I think its just a dumb thing. Maybe its contrasting how serious the pic is from what's actually said such as "Ayyy Lmao"
I haven't played it yet.. i want to but don't want to at the same time.
I got through 3/4 of the cutscenes online and just stopped for some reason. The dungeons and the story aren't fun or interesting at all. I'll still play it to continue the old Persona story.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I never finished P3 for 2 reasons.

1. I played it after P4, and you can't go from controlling all your party members to controlling only one. It infuriated me.
2. I started playing it on PSP first, and then I broke it, loosing all my saves. I am not replaying 40+ hours of that. Maybe in like 10 years.

Zenfalcia

A vague Idea I had was that since the ideal good ending would be that you're the hero guy with all his friends being this amazing team saving the world with their skills and everything they accumulated throughout the game and rad stuff like that.

That the real "bad" (Depending on your perspective) ending would be that you would eventually realize that you are the antagonist facing off against the world and also the people who would have been by your side in another life if you had been different.
As kind of a point where in the end, you're fighting a difference in ideals more so than a pure evil or some such thing.

A little vague but seems like a good idea if you flesh it out more.
I got through 3/4 of the cutscenes online and just stopped for some reason. The dungeons and the story aren't fun or interesting at all.

That's a shame. What does it even answer besides the first cutscene answering one big question.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Question, if I change my GAF email to something like gmail, will that get me banned? I know you need a non-free email to register, but what about afterwords?

Question, if I change my GAF email to something like gmail, will that get me banned? I know you need a non-free email to register, but what about afterwords?

PM a Mod. I don't know, but some people do use their college email and forget to change to something recent.

Zenfalcia

It might be in the rules/Terms page/post? It's not like they send you any emails.. i don't think.

Edit: nothing in the terms of service about it.

Top Bottom