• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Xiraiya

I think some African children born into poverty and violence would disagree with you.
You know, if they had the ability and resources to do so.

I'm sure a lot of people with a lot different unfortunate circumstances would disagree with me, it is what it is.

JoJo94

Not really an excuse. It certainly turned out extremely well for 9 months of development, but I can't just dismiss flaws because they didn't spend enough time on it. It's more a case of disappointment that it isn't more than it already is and less a case of the actual product being disappointing or mediocre by any means.

There are maybe a handful of games of the past three years that I'll shill every opportunity I get and TLOU is one of them.

Yeah I remember when we fanned over it a bit and talked about getting the artbook for it...also the documentary they had for it.

What are the other games?

Xux

Welp, beat Wonderful 101 last night. The ending was really great though I feel mostly the same; great fighting, QTEs, and cutscenes but mostly bad everything else plus camera issues and expecting you to do stuff with the right stick/touch pad that just doesn't work often enough. Still really fun and I'm glad I bought it.

Bayonetta 2 was on my Christmas list so it'll be a few days before I should think about playing those games but I'm definitely on board for this "character action" genre.

So I just impulse bought that $15 Freedom Wars someone linked earlier, and I had a $10 Amazon gift card for some reason so it came out to $11.

I don't even have a Vita yet what have I done?

Zenfalcia

The idea was brought up, but it seems like most people weren't interested.

That'd be a cool thing to do. I never knew the idea ever came up.
Since we were talking about birthday and getting older.
Did anyone else think as a kid that you would get wiser as an adult? That the world would be less confusing?
Man was I wrong!

I underestimated how pointless life is and how cruel having responsibilities is. I thought you just easily study in school and come out doing the thing you like..

Beloved

I think some African children born into poverty and violence would disagree with you.

You know, if they had the ability and resources to do so.

The fact there are African children born into poverty and violence support the concept that the world/universe/whatever is indifferent.

And I'm assuming no one here is an starving African child, so in general for people NOT born into a completely helpless situation, life is what you make of it.

And even those children or people in general who were born into terrible circumstances often find ways to still be happy and enjoy life in even the smallest ways, a person's circumstances being utter shit do not prevent children from finding joy in the world, its one of the amazing things about children and their resilience.

It's the adults who have had those terrible experiences that either overcome it and become better people despite what they've been through or use their bad experiences to be shitty people.

demidar

The fact there are African children born into poverty and violence support the concept that the world/universe/whatever is indifferent.

And I'm assuming no one here is an starving African child, so in general for people NOT born into a completely helpless situation, life is what you make of it.

And even those children or people in general who were born into terrible circumstances often find ways to still be happy and enjoy life in even the smallest ways, a person's circumstances being utter shit do not prevent children from finding joy in the world, its one of the amazing things about children and their resilience.

It's the adults who have had those terrible experiences that either overcome it and become better people despite what they've been through or use their bad experiences to be shitty people.

Sure, and that's great when it happens. But indifference and unfairness aren't mutually exclusive. Sometimes they're linked. However no one can change this unfairness (some of it's caused by nature, but some is also caused by people) since it's inherent to life and all you can do is try to make the best of what you got.

Beloved

Sure, and that's great when it happens. But indifference and unfairness aren't mutually exclusive. Sometimes they're linked. However no one can change this unfairness (some of it's caused by nature, but some is also caused by people) since it's inherent to life and all you can do is try to make the best of what you got.

Bottom line is one human cant see what is fair in relation to the other 7 billion people on the planet..doing what seems "fair" in your perspective is unfair in someone else's. Giving one person help leaves someone else without help, so on and so forth.

The human race can be fair or unfair, but only in the context of each individual person's extremely limited view of the universe.

If a meteor hit earth and destroyed us all, we'd say "That's unfair", but the collision that wipes us out could be the catalyst to create new life billions of years down the road that is far better for the universe overall, simply because of a different path of evolution.

There is nothing fair or unfair in this world, just actions and reactions that cause "good" and "bad" things.

Bottom line is one human cant see what is fair in relation to the other 7 billion people on the planet..doing what seems "fair" in your perspective is unfair in someone else's. Giving one person help leaves someone else without help, so on and so forth.
The human race can be fair or unfair, but only in the context of each individual person's extremely limited view of the universe.
If a meteor hit earth and destroyed us all, we'd say "That's unfair", but the collision that wipes us out could be the catalyst to create new life billions of years down the road that is far better for the universe overall, simply because of a different path of evolution.
There is nothing fair or unfair in this world, just actions and reactions that cause "good" and "bad" things.
What about a child who dies right after being born?

Better yet, a child who dies before they're born?

Homer-Walks-Into-Bar-and-Leaves.gif

JoJo94

Journey is nothing short of a masterpiece and I could talk for hours about every facet of that game. In fact, I love it so much that I went to indie conferences where Journey devs would appear and spoke directly with the composer. I fucking love that game so much.
Shovel Knight is just a fucking blast to play. Do yourself a favor and play them.

Yeah I think the reason I didn't play Journey was because I wanted someone to play it with but I think that was the reason.

Shovel Knight I just kept forgetting about until I saw it somewhere then kept going oh yeah I should play that.

Xiraiya

I'm not saying unfair things don't happen, if you prefer to see the world in that one dimension that's fine if it works for you.

The point is, unfair things happening doesn't make the world unfair, just as fair things happening doesn't suddenly make the world a fair place.
The world just is, both good and bad things happen, while terrible things are happening to people in the world, somewhere else wonderful things are also happening to people.

So those two groups of people will see the world in contradicting ways, neither one is incorrect, but they aren't correct also.
It's important to always remember wonderful things happen everyday even if you can't see it, just as terrible things happen ever day, even if you can't see it.

And what about the ones who live despite almost dying?

croten

Yeah ok, that still leads directly into arguments of distinguishes a fetus from a human, and I think we should steer clear. I do agree though.

Again my point was just shit can be unfair and weather or not it's a good thing or a bad thing is irrelevant, it's just the way it is.

Beloved

How is that unfair? Unfortunate yes, especially for the parents, but life is harsh and death is just part of it. Many wild animals give birth to multiple babies simply to help beat the odds of nature; at least one of them is basically expected not to reach adulthood. Humans are only different because of the feats we have made over time in the medical field. We basically defy basic "survival of the fittest" evolution simply because we have the ability to overcome it but nature is still nature, not everyone can live to be 80 years old.

demidar

I suppose fairness is a human construct. If a meteor wiped us out that would suck but I wouldn't call it unfair (and I know I'm only using my limited perspective saying that), I would call it unfortunate (and I am entirely unsure if there's nuance between the two, but that's what I'm sticking with). However, let's bring this down to more local matters, things that could reasonably be influenced by humans. If a person gets shot due to the colour of his skin, would that be indifference or unfairness?
Hoo boy this is not gonna end well.

Edit: Eh you know what? We should all just shut up about this.

Top Bottom