• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Xiraiya

I suppose fairness is a human construct. If a meteor wiped us out that would suck but I wouldn't call it unfair (and I know I'm only using my limited perspective saying that), I would call it unfortunate (and I am entirely unsure if there's nuance between the two, but that's what I'm sticking with). However, let's bring this down to more local matters, things that could reasonably be influenced by humans. If a person gets shot due to the colour of his skin, would that be indifference or unfairness?
Hoo boy this is not gonna end well.

Edit: Eh you know what? We should all just shut up about this.
At that point that is an event of unfairness, but the point is that doesn't just suddenly change the world, only people's perspectives of it, so it's not really the point here to discuss whether every unfortunate event is fair or not.

Zenfalcia

Reminder to all, please send in your audio clips for best gaf sings. PM it to me as soon as possible. The song is the best friends theme, if you didn't know.

I suppose fairness is a human construct. If a meteor wiped us out that would suck but I wouldn't call it unfair (and I know I'm only using my limited perspective saying that), I would call it unfortunate (and I am entirely unsure if there's nuance between the two, but that's what I'm sticking with). However, let's bring this down to more local matters, things that could reasonably be influenced by humans. If a person gets shot due to the colour of his skin, would that be indifference or unfairness?

Edit: Eh you know what? We should all just shut up about this.

It's fine! It's not like anyone is being passionate or ignorant of this discussion. So i can't see why a civilized discussion can't be had here.

EDIT: I'll drop the topic too actually.
How is that unfair? Unfortunate yes, especially for the parents, but life is harsh and death is just part of it. Many wild animals give birth to multiple babies simply to help beat the odds of nature; at least one of them is basically expected not to reach adulthood. Humans are only different because of the feats we have made over time in the medical field. We basically defy basic "survival of the fittest" evolution simply because we have the ability to overcome it but nature is still nature, not everyone can live to be 80 years old.
Maybe the semantics of "fair" are coming into play here. The world isn't evenhanded, but it's not biased against anyone.
And what about the ones who live despite almost dying?
I get your point, good and bad things happen to various people, and I agree.
Again my point was just shit can be unfair and weather or not it's a good thing or a bad thing is irrelevant, it's just the way it is.
Ok, sorry about that, just got a little scared the topic was going to implode.

Beloved

The act of killing someone based on skin color is unfair. People can be unfair, because we can recognize inequality and injustice, and we can choose to ignore it or act on it in various ways. But, if we were able to actually measure "fairness" and "unfairness", could you say for certain that it doesn't exist in this world in equal measure? Each human individually won't experience the same level throughout their lives but thinking on an individual level is part of our downfall as humans to begin with. I like to look at the world - and the universe - as having a yin/yang type balance between light and dark, good and evil, fair and unfair, whatever words you want to apply to it.

However existence, reality, the universe; it is not unfair. There is no partiality one way or another to our lives. Humans are just one tiny tiny part of an infinite existence, a sum of particles that somehow has managed to be self aware and therefore we can experience happiness but also sorrow, and also makes us painfully aware of concepts such as "fairness".

croten

EDIT: I'll drop the topic too actually.
Maybe the semantics of "fair" are coming into play here. The world isn't evenhanded, but it's not biased against anyone.
I get your point, good and bad things happen to various people, and I agree.

Ok, sorry about that, just got a little scared the topic was going to implode.

No it was my fault. I should have thought about what I said before I posted it.

croten

it's fine! We can't always avoid the realities of life, it has to come up sometime.
Not here it doesn't, I know we joke about this being everything Gaf but there are some things I would rather not discuss. Some topics can get people pretty damn passionate, the term "People have fought wars for less" springs to mind. If we want a meaningful discussion there are much better places to discuss it.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Not here it doesn't, I know we joke about this being everything Gaf but there are some things I would rather not discuss. Some topics can get people pretty damn passionate, the term "People have fought wars for less" springs to mind. If we want a meaningful discussion there are much better places to discuss it.
I agree.
But then I remember all that shit in OT and I think its better if I keep serious things in real life.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I just finished up korra S4

2 ships that have canonically sailed this year that everybody wanted and was delivered.

JoJo94

No, don't think about that. You don't need specific people to play with, that's the point. Just play it.

Yeah I wanted to play it with my then girlfriend and so thinking about it reminds me of her, but I can play it now without that in the back of my mind. I'll probably pick it up one day.

Zenfalcia

I can see that there might be people who are really passionate about some touchy topics and some people being uncomfortable talking about it. Maybe i'm under the impression most people here aren't passionate about these touchy topics to ignorantly argue their own point. That's just me being overly optimistic, it might not be even close to what i have understood.

foxuzamaki

I wonder if Pat will lurk/post here after his top tens video gets posted. There might be games he put on his list that he didn't talk about on the podcast.

Wait, they actually gonna get to the top 10s? Ive been so busy this, well last week, I didnt even have time to listen to more than 12 mins of the podcast.

I wonder if Pat will lurk/post here after his top tens video gets posted. There might be games he put on his list that he didn't talk about on the podcast.

Inb4 it's Gone Home.

Wait, they actually gonna get to the top 10s? Ive been so busy this, well last week, I didnt even have time to listen to more than 12 mins of the podcast.

Matt already uploaded his yesterday. Pat's will be up in 3 hours.

Anung

Un Rama
I've just popped a sleeping pill so won't be awake to catch pats top 10. I'm really looking forward to it.

God so many of you are young in here.

demidar

The act of killing someone based on skin color is unfair. People can be unfair, because we can recognize inequality and injustice, and we can choose to ignore it or act on it in various ways. But, if we were able to actually measure "fairness" and "unfairness", could you say for certain that it doesn't exist in this world in equal measure? Each human individually won't experience the same level throughout their lives but thinking on an individual level is part of our downfall as humans to begin with. I like to look at the world - and the universe - as having a yin/yang type balance between light and dark, good and evil, fair and unfair, whatever words you want to apply to it.

However existence, reality, the universe; it is not unfair. There is no partiality one way or another to our lives. Humans are just one tiny tiny part of an infinite existence, a sum of particles that someone has managed to be self aware and therefore we can experience happiness but also sorrow, and also makes us painfully aware of concepts such as "fairness".

I find your stance quite idealistic--Pollyanna even--particularly the part about the universe having balance. It clashes with my thoroughly cynical heart so we can put all this discussion down to that.

I think life (and existence) is by definition unfair, but I don't think unfairness is necessarily bad, we just conflate it due to our own (humanity's) affairs. We cause a lot of bad shit to each other, which gives unfairness a bad rap. Just because unfairness will exist forever and ever doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make things fair.

It all really comes down to making the best of your life possible, but some people have it a lot, lot, lot harder than others (and people who are given everything in the world will falter for even the most banal reason).

I can see that there might be people who are really passionate about some touchy topics and some people being uncomfortable talking about it. Maybe i'm under the impression most people here aren't passionate about these touchy topics to ignorantly argue their own point. That's just me being overly optimistic, it might not be even close to what i have understood.

I'm just not one for discussing touchy topics..especially among friends. When something like this arises I just recede deep into the Woolie Hole.

foxuzamaki

For the podcast titles.. the smegmaman title was pretty good.. i dunno, there've been many great ones.

Nothing will top "god approves of straight shota" not only is it great, but it reveals just how weaboo the zaibatsu actually are when they besides Liam like to give off the impression that they are just people who occasionally watches anime.

Zenfalcia

I'm just not one for discussing touchy topics..especially among friends. When something like this arises I just recede deep into the Woolie Hole.

Not everyone is as open or want to talk about stuff like that, which is understandable. You do have to reach out and face the truth, eventually.
:p

foxuzamaki

Not everyone is as open or want to talk about stuff like that, which is understandable. You do have to reach out and face the truth, eventually.

I could talk about it, but I'd rather not like..y'know risk friendships over it. For me, you have your opinion and I have mine. No one dies.

demidar

Lots of people use anonoymity to be little shits to each other, but I use it to let me be more open than I usually am.

Woof, things got a bit heavy there. I'd like to thank Beloved and Xiraiya for remaining civil. Good talk.

I just finished up korra S4
2 ships that have canonically sailed this year that everybody wanted and was delivered.

What was the other one?

iGwNvJ6.gif

Beloved

I find your stance quite idealistic--Pollyanna even--particularly the part about the universe having balance. It clashes with my thoroughly cynical heart so we can put all this discussion down to that.

I think life (and existence) is by definition unfair, but I don't think unfairness is necessarily bad, we just conflate it due to our own (humanity's) affairs. We cause a lot of bad shit to each other, which gives unfairness a bad rap. Just because unfairness will exist forever and ever doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make things fair.

It all really comes down to making the best of your life possible, but some people have it a lot, lot, lot harder than others (and people who are given everything in the world will falter for even the most banal reason).

I think you're looking at my stance in slightly the wrong light - balance in the universe means that we as humans (or any other self aware lifeform that might exist) gets the shittiest deal in many ways. I've been through my idealistic phase only to fall hard into depression when hit with the harsh reality of life
not to mention an existential crisis
, only to become incredibly cynical, until finally coming around to my current view of things. Good things will happen to me, bad things will happen to me, and that's okay. My existence may have no impact on the universe but I can only hope to have a mostly positive impact on the people I encounter in my life, other than that the world is what it is and will continue to be no matter what I do.

It's not idealistic, it's just what I always see over and over in the scientific field - perfect cycles, opposites that balance each other out, and so much repetition from the largest scale to the tiniest, it makes me believe in a balanced and perfect design. But a design that we do not necessarily benefit from, as that very design could mean we are wiped out completely from existence in a blink of an eye.

Top Bottom