• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Oh man, they have some weird shit on this website
148_1.jpg
https://www.insertcoinclothing.com/leggings/fight.html

Makes sense, he's easy to use and has some great normals.
Though personally, I think I've seen more Rams, but that's probably because every friender here seems to be a Ram player.

He has a great anti air, a great overhead, great mixups, long reach with his sword, and powerful long range supers that really can't be punished well.

He's definitely the ultimate "newb character" no offense to people who can actually play him well of course.

Oh shit there's like 6 things in my basket. I'm going to end up blowing like 500 bucks on this shit, I got almost every single resident evil thing. Fucking Woolie got the wesker jacket and has been lording it over me.

Oh shit there's like 6 things in my basket. I'm going to end up blowing like 500 bucks on this shit, I got almost every single resident evil thing. Fucking Woolie got the wesker jacket and has been lording it over me.

Don't let woolie win, show that pie stealer your sick new merch and make him salt.

Also, GG everyone.

maximum johns.

GG everyone, but I have finally reached my breaking point. I'm sick of playing with a pad, Madcatz needs to hurry up with their bullshit
Have fun relearning shit in stick. It's frustrating the first few bits
How do the t shirt dick measuring contests usually go when you guys show something new off?

He has a great anti air, a great overhead, great mixups, long reach with his sword, and powerful long range supers that really can't be punished well.

He's definitely the ultimate "newb character" no offense to people who can actually play him well of course.

Also, he's basically just Ryu, I just realized lol.
But good on Guilty Gear, their main character is definitively not Ryu when it comes to moves.

Also, he's basically just Ryu, I just realized lol.
But good on Guilty Gear, their main character is definitively not Ryu when it comes to moves.

Oh yeah and he has fireballs and shit too lol. But yeah, this game is very different. Going back to ultimax felt like I wasn't even playing a game by the same company (if it wasn't for the artstyle obviously).

Have fun relearning shit in stick. It's frustrating the first few bits

How do the t shirt dick measuring contests usually go when you guys show something new off?

You try not to notice it for as long as possible. When Woolie realized I hadn't noticed his shirt he intentionally goaded me and said I don't REALLY care about resident evil and I started to get pissy until I noticed, and then every day that he wears the thing he jumps on any chance to put doubt in my RE love and then I go "well fuck god damnit he's wearing weskers jacket"

ultimax

You try not to notice it for as long as possible. When Woolie realized I hadn't noticed his shirt he intentionally goaded me and said I don't REALLY care about resident evil and I started to get pissy until I noticed, and then every day that he wears the thing he jumps on any chance to put doubt in my RE love and then I go "well fuck god damnit he's wearing weskers jacket"

Never admit it Pat. You cant let him win!

demidar

Morrowind's finally gone on a daily deal (which doesn't show up on my front page strangely enough). But I finally got it and imma start it after Dragonfall.

If anything its harder for me to re learn playing on a pad. Stick feels way more natural for me
I remember back when I got Ultimate Marvel and I gave in and played with a pad before I got my stick, it felt off despite me never owning a stick or getting into fighters before. Maybe it was because I had messed with MvC cabinets whenever I ran into one
You know you're best friends with someone when you're having this level of mind game wars

Pat's top 10 video reminded me how much I regret spending money on the wii-U version of monster hunter. My eyes are literally straining to understand the on screen HUD because shit is too small on my normal sized TV. Plus it runs at 30 FPS compared to the 3ds' version's 60 FPS.

Can't wait for MH4U. It's going to play silky smooth and will have online as well.

Pat's top 10 video reminded me how much I regret spending money on the wii-U version of monster hunter. My eyes are literally straining to understand the on screen HUD because shit is too small on my normal sized TV.

Really? It's not all that complicated. Timer, Health, Stamina, Sharpness. Items and map on the right side. Heck you can move each part onto the gamepad if you prefer. Edit: Whoa, wait, I didn't know that Wii U version locked to 30.

3U on 3ds is unlocked and hovers around 45.

Hah, no thanks. Welp, just spent 400 bucks on videogame clothing, despite having a closet so full I literally am going to have to start throwing out "normal" clothes. But the jacket and rpd shirt man. The jaaaaacket. I'm pissed that Woolies so into the shirt coldwar that he didn't even tell me about a place that had the SH2 jacket.

Yeah, I tried moving the HUD to the gamepad. It just didn't feel right.

I love having it on the bottom screen on my 3DS XL. Also I looked, the Wii U version averages 38 fps, "Ultimate experienced a minimum frame rate of 32 FPS. The maximum FPS came in at 47 FPS." While the 3DS game, I believe stays between 40-50, while occasionally hitting 60 in an empty arena.

4U apparently is a solid 60 most of the time with tiny drops though, so that's awesome.

Monster Hunter's always seemed interesting, but man the 100-200 hours people just throw at it seem just way too much for me to even attempt to try it.

Oh yeah and he has fireballs and shit too lol. But yeah, this game is very different. Going back to ultimax felt like I wasn't even playing a game by the same company (if it wasn't for the artstyle obviously).

They are way different... but they are also like the closest two games of their type I have played. I mean, all the tools are kinda the same but Xrd is way harder in the execution and a bit tighter in the gameplay. It feels like the best inbetween step between Ultimax and the more hardcore fighters.
Which reminds me, it's a shame Ultimax isn't the most popular fighter ever, because I feel it could be the best introduction to fighting games ever. Really get more people into the genre.

Monster Hunter's always seemed interesting, but man the 100-200 hours people just throw at it seem just way too much for me to even attempt to try it.

Monster Hunters biggest strength and weakness is that it's about 15 hours until you start to get really into it, which is like, a whole other game, just for tutorial shit. But it's worth it. Also maaan I want my jaaacket.

I love having it on the bottom screen on my 3DS XL. Also I looked, the Wii U version averages 38 fps, "Ultimate experienced a minimum frame rate of 32 FPS. The maximum FPS came in at 47 FPS." While the 3DS game, I believe stays between 40-50, while occasionally hitting 60 in an empty arena.

4U apparently is a solid 60 most of the time with tiny drops though, so that's awesome.

So that's why it looks like crap compared to 3U. That's great, more developers should prioritize having solid 60 FPS in their games. I can't go back to 30. PC gaming ruined it for me.

They are way different... but they are also like the closest two games of their type I have played. I mean, all the tools are kinda the same but Xrd is way harder in the execution and a bit tighter in the gameplay. It feels like the best inbetween step between Ultimax and the more hardcore fighters.
Which reminds me, it's a shame Ultimax isn't the most popular fighter ever, because I feel it could be the best introduction to fighting games ever. Really get more people into the genre.

Its definitely the best fighter to get people into anime fighters which are usually mechanics heavy and require precise timing on your combos. SF4 would have been good, if that game actually had a skullgirls styled tutorial that tought you about its mechanics and fighting games in general.

Monster Hunters biggest strength and weakness is that it's about 15 hours until you start to get really into it, which is like, a whole other game, just for tutorial shit. But it's worth it. Also maaan I want my jaaacket.

That's not the part I'm worried about. I know it needs a big time sink, and I've sunk hours into plenty of other things before I really got into it.

I guess its also the fact that everything you fight is big giant monsters, which seems cool, but I like variety in the sizes of my enemies. I know its called "monster" hunter, but I saw the souls comparisons in the thread and at least souls bosses have human sized bosses that are just really fun to fight. I guess its really just nitpicky stuff mostly.

You can put in like ~50-70 hours and be satisfied, but it's a lot like an MMO where there's always something to do, and a lot of people are just addicted once they get into it. The game just keeps throwing more and more content at you, and you like doing it.

Since it's all mission based, you don't really have the problem of it being a long game either. I just picked it up again today after a 2 month break and killed some stuff.
So that's why it looks like crap compared to 3U. That's great, more developers should prioritize having solid 60 FPS in their games. I can't go back to 30. PC gaming ruined it for me.

The main reason is because they made it run well with 3D on, rendering the screen twice, so turning off 3D frees up a ton of power. Also, I'm not sure if that was from a guy with a New 3DS or a current 3DS.
I guess its also the fact that everything you fight is big giant monsters, which seems cool, but I like variety in the sizes of my enemies. I know its called "monster" hunter, but I saw the souls comparisons in the thread and at least souls bosses have human sized bosses that are just really fun to fight. I guess its really just nitpicky stuff mostly.
There's size variety. Small, fast, higher rank monsters are fucking assholes. Huge ones, huger ones, and oh-my-god-how ones are in there too.

Its definitely the best fighter to get people into anime fighters which are usually mechanics heavy and require precise timing on your combos. SF4 would have been good, if that game actually had a skullgirls styled tutorial that tought you about its mechanics and fighting games in general.

That's not the part I'm worried about. I know it needs a big time sink, and I've sunk hours into plenty of other things before I really got into it.

I guess its also the fact that everything you fight is big giant monsters, which seems cool, but I like variety in the sizes of my enemies. I know its called "monster" hunter, but I saw the souls comparisons and at least souls bosses have human sized bosses that are just really fun to fight. I guess its really just nitpicky stuff mostly.

The smallest monster is the size of a large bear, and the largest monster is the size of a skyscraper. There's variation in size, but a lot of them do hang out around that dragony middle mark.

EDIT: This is the jacket that smug motherfuckers been smuggin around in that bastard

Grr it's so nice

The smallest monster is the size of a large bear, and the largest monster is the size of a skyscraper. There's variation in size, but a lot of them do hang out around that dragony middle mark.

You can put in like ~50-70 hours and be satisfied, but it's a lot like an MMO where there's always something to do, and a lot of people are just addicted once they get into it. The game just keeps throwing more and more content at you, and you like doing it.

Since it's all mission based, you don't really have the problem of it being a long game either. I just picked it up again today after a 2 month break and killed some stuff.

There's size variety. Small, fast, higher rank monsters are fucking assholes. Huge ones, huger ones, and oh-my-god-how ones are in there too.

Yeah, I honestly shouldn't really knock anything about it till I actually try it. I'll probably pick up 4 when it hits the 3DS and give that a try, especially if the co-op is as fun as Pat makes it sound in his top 10.

Hey Pat, you still playing Baldur's Gate? I started playing it too since you gushed about it on the podcast a month or so ago. At first the DnD mechanics were hard to process but once I got into it I found it to be pretty fun. Granted it's kind of shallow in terms of content and combing through the huge fog of war in every map in a sluggish speed is the most tedious and boring thing imaginable (yes I'm aware of the clairvoyance spell) it's still pretty cool. I'm on the last chapter in the main quest with one of my characters.

Minsc is the best companion ever.

Unfortunately, I can't pull that look off. I'd never wear it...just own it. The James jacket is perfect, because it's also just a regular jacket. It just has special significance to a specific group of people. For geek/nerd shit you shoudl always try and go for something that'd be just fine on colour/design by itself, even if you didn't get the joke/show/game.

demidar

Hey Pat, you still playing Baldur's Gate? I started playing it too since you gushed about it on the podcast a month or so ago. At first the DnD mechanics were hard to process but once I got into it I found it to be pretty fun. Granted it's kind of shallow in terms of content and combing through the huge fog of war in every map in a sluggish speed is the most tedious and boring thing imaginable (yes I'm aware of the clairvoyance spell) it's still pretty cool. I'm on the last chapter in the main quest with one of my characters.

"Yes, magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!"

Beat it last night, actually. Sarevoks a real motherfuckin boss fight I tell you what. Honestly I loved combing the map and finding shit. BG2 starts off with a bang and looks way, way better. It's kind of shocking. They designed the game for 800x600 instead of 640 by 480, so its just better drawn and scales a lot better when you zoom out farther.

I would go further than that.
Sure, it's an anime fighter, and it plays differently than other fighters because of that, with the air dashes and all the jumping and stuff.
But the jumps felt more natural than the more 'locked in' stuff of other fighters. And that, with the much easier prompts and the autocombos, is what made this fighter, out of all the fighters I've tried over the years, be the one that really helped me finally 'get it'.
It's so much more accessible than anything I've tried, and the complicated stuff is still there if you want it... it's goddamn genius is what it is.
It's just a shame it gets put aside as just some 'niche' and 'casual' fighter for Jrpg nuts by... almost everybody. It's like the missing link of fighters imo.

Beat it last night, actually. Sarevoks a real motherfuckin boss fight I tell you what. Honestly I loved combing the map and finding shit. BG2 starts off with a bang and looks way, way better. It's kind of shocking. They designed the game for 800x600 instead of 640 by 480, so its just better drawn and scales a lot better when you zoom out farther.

That's nice to hear. I might get BG2 later on if I beat the first game with a couple of characters. I love that kind of character passing feature.

Oberon

Banned
To catch up on the arcana thing, here is mine

Edit: Nah, let's be honest here
III The Empress
The Empress card is all about creation, however, where the Magician card is about control and pushing forward, the Empress is more about letting things grow naturally at their own pace.
The card can also stand for natural growth, and motherhood, or motherly behaviors.

On the negative side of this card, it means that one is being over nurturing, or smothering another with it's sort of care.
It also means pushing things ahead too much or not letting things flourish at their own pace.

I must say that I cheated a bit, because I got empress at the first try ^^

Top Bottom