• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Reading through the May 1995 issue of EGM.

Did you know that they gave "that game you always walked past at Blockbuster while heading for Mortal Kombat II" Prehistorik Man for the SNES higher review scores than "one of the best RPGs of all time" Ogre Battle?

Lesson: Reviews have always been shit.

Reading through the May 1995 issue of EGM.

Did you know that they gave "that game you always walked past at Blockbuster while heading for Mortal Kombat II" Prehistorik Man for the SNES higher review scores than "one of the best RPGs of all time" Ogre Battle?

Lesson: Reviews have always been shit.

"game reviews are bad cause they don't agree with my opinion"

christian-bale-and-kermit-the-frog.gif

The cucco challenge can be a pain, yeah. That being said, streetpass hits were easy to come by for ALBW. Just keep your 3DS with you when you go out. You'll get enough hits eventually.

That is true, I've been getting a bunch of streetpasses for this game, and the challenges are pretty easy as well.

Maybe I'll grind the cucco thing once I've gotten all of those challenges and end up killing myself.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
"game reviews are bad cause they don't agree with my opinion"

christian-bale-and-kermit-the-frog.gif

Prehistorik Man is the definition of "average-ass 16-bit platformer". Ogre Battle is widely regarded as one of the best RPGs of that era, if not of all time. I get what you're saying, and you're not wrong, but I think history will back me up here in my assertion that an almost completely forgotten platformer being reviewed better than one of the most well-remembered RPGs of all time is a bit hilarious in hindsight. No, the review isn't objectively wrong, but it IS funny.

Tako

Still a uni student. Classes were not mandatory and the subjects in question were ones I excelled in, so I decided not to waste time going to class, and decided to occasionally study at home to refresh my memory and aced the test. So yeah, the lack of effort practically turned it into a prolonged vacation. It does get a bit boring after a while though.

Oh nice, sounds good. Though I've never been to a strip club.

We don't need any more military folk getting in trouble. Keep them good.

Pfft We'll be fine. Strip clubs are nice, just make sure not to waste your money.

Prehistorik Man is the definition of "average-ass 16-bit platformer". Ogre Battle is widely regarded as one of the best RPGs of that era, if not of all time. I get what you're saying, and you're not wrong, but I think history will back me up here in my assertion that an almost completely forgotten platformer being reviewed better than one of the most well-remembered RPGs of all time is a bit hilarious in hindsight. No, the review isn't objectively wrong, but it IS funny.

Sorry I just hate that attitude of "this reviewer is bad because they don't agree with me on my pet game" I see this so often on places like neogaf or reddit and escaiplly with a game that hasn't even come out yet. Seriously go check the r/games reviews thread for bayonetta 2, evil within or alien isolation and see all the people freaking out over people saying they didn't like the game.

The top 10 videos up until now have actually convinced me to buy SMT IV. I'm already convinced it won't be a waste of time and money, Woolie and Pat were really convincing.

First exams though :(

yeah that is great.

Since we are talking strip clubs here is my one strip club story again
hmmm... I've only been to one strip club in my local shitbird town. A girl came out and did her thing in a kiddie pool and when she finished her dances they made her come back out, still naked, to clean up the mess she made and to drag the pool off the stage thing. It took her like 10 minutes and it was the most hilariously awkward thing I have ever witnessed.

A cosplay stripclub would either be cool or the worst thing ever

Goddamn it. Beating Baldur's Gate final boss immediately ends the game and asks you to continue the story in the sequel. Well I don't have it atm and I sorta still want to explore the game world. Can't even leave the room the boss is in either so that character is essentially in limbo until I get the sequel.

The top 10 videos up until now have actually convinced me to buy SMT IV. I'm already convinced it won't be a waste of time and money, Woolie and Pat were really convincing.

First exams though :(

I'm playing through it right now and it's pretty good. I do have some complaints, though. The map is bad and you'll get lost all the time, some of the required quests are a pain in the ass, and the difficulty is weird (It starts out hard and then gets pretty easy). Still, I'm really enjoying the game.

Randy42

Listening to the podcast it honestly makes me a bit sad to hear Pat watching Ippo twice but not even trying HxH :/ I mean Ippo is good but still if you're gonna watch 70 eps of something a second time...

Goddamn it. Beating Baldur's Gate final boss immediately ends the game and asks you to continue the story in the sequel. Well I don't have it atm and I sorta still want to explore the game world. Can't even leave the room the boss is in either so that character is essentially in limbo until I get the sequel.
Hmmm I guess I should rotate my saves when I play Baldur's Gate. It sucks that you can't go through and do side quests after beating him.

I'm playing through it right now and it's pretty good. I do have some complaints, though. The map is bad and you'll get lost all the time, some of the required quests are a pain in the ass, and the difficulty is weird (It starts out hard and then gets pretty easy). Still, I'm really enjoying the game.

Just a warning beforehand: The overworld is atrocious, turning traversion of the world incredibly annoying.
Rest of the game is good though.

Interesting, I think I can deal with that. Difficulty would be a bummer if it's really like that, I usually don't like it when games start out super hard. Is it because you have less teammates at the start?(assuming that's true).

Anung

Un Rama
How are Strip club different from those creepy maiden cafe?

As someone who has been to both they do feel completely different. Strip clubs have this kind of jovial unwritten thing going down. You get drunk and leer at sexy/friendly ladies. I chatted with some chicks and they seemed nice and it was cool. Maid cafes felt a lot more akward due to all the creepy Japanese otaku types hanging around and even though the language barrier was there the body language off the chicks was that of akwardness.

It's hard to describe really.

You're more limited in terms of demons and skills and the game opens up a bit later. That being said, the beginning still isn't difficult at all. It's just more difficult relative to later sections of the game.
So it's not a hard game?

PAT I THOUGHT WOOLIE WAS THE LIAR
Here's a good beginners tips thing that'll probably help you get started. http://tay.kotaku.com/shin-megami-tensei-4-tips-and-tricks-for-beginners-829102297

Thank you, will check it out once I actually have time to play.

So it's not a hard game?

PAT I THOUGHT WOOLIE WAS THE LIAR

It's not. I'm pretty much breezing through the game at this point. Only real challenge are the bosses and they're still not that hard.

it isn't actually that hard but you can die to the first random encounter in the game and most of the random encounters in the first area until you git gud

Yeah, it's a little rough at first because you're so weak, but after Minotaur and Medusa the game just drops in difficulty.

It's kind of difficult until after you beat the Minotaur. The Minotaur is the first really hard thing you fight in that game and is the progression blocker, akin to the Matador from Nocturne.
Which would you say that is the harder SMT game? Noctorne or SMT4?

I haven't gotten pass Madator yet

As someone who has been to both they do feel completely different. Strip clubs have this kind of jovial unwritten thing going down. You get drunk and leer at sexy/friendly ladies. I chatted with some chicks and they seemed nice and it was cool. Maid cafes felt a lot more akward due to all the creepy Japanese otaku types hanging around and even though the language barrier was there the body language off the chicks was that of akwardness.

It's hard to describe really.

We have a maid cafe in NYC. Awkwardness doesn't being to describe it.
Fortunately, I've been there once and didn't see leering by weird otakus. It operates more like a tourist spot.

Anung

Un Rama
We have a maid cafe in NYC. Awkwardness doesn't being to describe it.
Fortunately, I've been there once and didn't see leering by weird otakus. It operates more like a tourist spot.

The Japanese maid cafe's are more dank and depressing than any bar I've ever been to. Me and my friend felt awkward by just being aaprt of it.

Alfebit

Banned
Also Dragon's Crown is quite fun as well. I was put off by it after the constant bitching back and forth both here and news sites alike, but now that I've started playing it, it's really enjoyable.

Picked elf, though she seems to be trickier than most to play solo. Constantly have to keep my arrows and positioning in mind.

Hey, a little late on this but I'm totally down for some Dragon's Crown. I haven't started a character yet tho.

It's not. I'm pretty much breezing through the game at this point. Only real challenge are the bosses and they're still not that hard.

Yeah, it's a little rough at first because you're so weak, but after Minotaur and Medusa the game just drops in difficulty.

the hardest thing about the game is navigating in the world and that ruined it for me. I am completely irrational when it comes to my hatred of overworlds though

Top Bottom