• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Hey, if Destiny had actual singleplayer content and way way more gun variety maybe I'd play that instead. But I love Diablo looting and I love FPS gun combat, so unless you can show me a better game with both of those things, I'm still better off playing Borderlands.
I love Destiny as Better-Than-Borderlands. Diablo elements are weaker, but fuck man it actually feels good to shoot things, and most enemies are fun. I played like 80 hours of both Borderlands games and fucking hate the shitty gunplay and terrible balance.

Also the MH3U framerate difference between versions is fine. I hardly notice it now, everyone buy it so we can frihgt monstars.

I love Destiny as Better-Than-Borderlands. Diablo elements are weaker, but fuck man it actually feels good to shoot things, and most enemies are fun. I played like 80 hours of both Borderlands games and fucking hate the shitty gunplay and terrible balance.
Destiny, for all the shit that it gets, the mechanical gameplay is fucking beautiful. Guns feel great to shoot, enemies are fun, it feels good to move around in.

It has problems, but gameplay is not one of them.

PG, you stated before that you like the elf in Dragon's Crown, so I'm guessing you've played the game and played as an elf (unless you just randomly commented on it). I've been playing her for a couple of hours now and I get the feeling that she's an amazing boss killer, but kind of bad against regular mobs. Am I missing something, like some elven skill that will make her more efficient against regular mobs or is this pretty much exactly what the class is.

a55.png

I have played 0 hours of DC. I just think Elf is cute.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
PG, you stated before that you like the elf in Dragon's Crown, so I'm guessing you've played the game and played as an elf (unless you just randomly commented on it). I've been playing her for a couple of hours now and I get the feeling that she's an amazing boss killer, but kind of bad against regular mobs. Am I missing something, like some elven skill that will make her more efficient against regular mobs or is this pretty much exactly what the class is.

I know you asked PG, but I have a high level for each class in DC. Before Elf was nerfed, she was the number one boss killer in the entire game. Her upper charge shot volleys combined with the Salamander Oil just absolutely destroyed bosses. She's still really strong in that capacity, but not quite the monster she used to be.

She does fine against regular mobs, when you use piercing charge shots and aerial charge shots. When you're first starting out, you're fairly limited, though, and you won't have the arrow inventory to liberally fire. That will change more as you level.

demidar

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950896.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (demidar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hatoful Boyfriend -- MB-896306E98CF7B0D7
Astebreed -- MB-93A0FCAEAF306D12
Sakura Spirit #1- -- MB-84D18F24F03F5524
Oblivious Garden ~Carmina Burana -- MB-98803917B6A8733B
Vanguard Princess -- MB-8EA220D4552FFC6B - Taken by Oberon. 3 entrants total.
planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~ -- MB-09D6E405E864C98B
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky -- MB-8CF101114D00B54C
Ys: The Oath in Felghana -- MB-B1E441B72F04C831
Sakura Spirit #2 -- MB-7E3B4E6CF2E62BCC
Freedom Planet -- MB-1CD0E973AE9694CC
Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ -- MB-C6257B335A6928E1
Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION #1 -- MB-7A746607C313175C
Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION #2 -- MB-C8FA579DECDFD372

t1419467403z1.png

You can enter the raffle for as many games as you want, but please only restrict it to games you are interested in. You also can only win one game, so applying to too many games decreases the chances of getting the game you really want, but it also means if you lose and have no backup picks you won't get anything, so there's a fun bit of metagaming for you guys :D

If you guys have any troubles with the redemption links in a day's time, PM me and I'll try and sort it out.

I sure hope those tildes don't mess this thing up :/

Fuck you that's not real.

Well, it's probably dead now, except for some pirate servers.

Destiny, for all the shit that it gets, the mechanical gameplay is fucking beautiful. Guns feel great to shoot, enemies are fun, it feels good to move around in.

It has problems, but gameplay is not one of them.
It feels fantastic. It's probably mechanically my favorite console shooter.
I'm just listening now to the december 8th podcast. That ps4 GPU isn't melting, those artifacts are from using certain themes while playing games. If you change it to the default theme, it goes away.
I had the same problem and changed themes, but it did nada. I did notice it only happens when I hit PS while playing certain games.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You can enter the raffle for as many games as you want, but please only restrict it to games you are interested in. You also can only win one game, so applying to too many games decreases the chances of getting the game you really want, but it also means if you lose and have no backup picks you won't get anything, so there's a fun bit of metagaming for you guys :D

If you guys have any troubles with the redemption links in a day's time, PM me and I'll try and sort it out.

Thanks for the giveaway! I have most of the stuff on the list, but I entered for Hatoful Boyfriend.

DAMN IT PG!!

She got nerfed? Why? What about the other classes?
I generally stay in the air while I kill mobs (double jump, charge shot, dodge, charge shot, kick, charge shot, up kick, charge shot, kick, charge shot), but it's quite difficult to position oneself and charge shots properly when I'm on the ground. I do have two quiver upgrades, making my life easier, but I still got the feeling that regular enemies aren't the class' strong point.

Sucks to hear she got nerfed.

She got nerfed because she was too powerful against bosses. It was pretty unbalanced. A lot of the classes have been adjusted through patches, and most have been great changes. And Vanillaware has just added a ton of free content over the year in general.

That's the general approach you should be taking, I think. Her divekick is also pretty good. Once you level up the charge shot, you'll be able to fire multiple arrows per volley and several volleys per charge. And the charge shots will do area wind damage so missing won't be as much of an issue.

EDIT: Also, you can always cancel your charge with a dodge if you're not aligned properly.

BY2K

Membero Americo

I googled Vanguard Princess and then clicked "Super".

Oh my...

Atilac

It feels fantastic. It's probably mechanically my favorite console shooter.

I had the same problem and changed themes, but it did nada. I did notice it only happens when I hit PS while playing certain games.
What theme did you switch to? Cause more than one has the problem.

Oh, a giveaway. Thanks!

DAMN IT PG!!

Hey, you know what they say about assuming.

Ya think the Zaibatsu would burn me out of dick jokes, but they are still great.
Man the unlucky cut on his eye really hampered his boxing. The other boxers was so passionate about boxing again ;~; The music really does go super well with both the fights and post fights. Man I think I would be like Ippo when I go to a hostess club like that. except for that dick scaring part. Takamura is the best when he pulled down Ippo's pants...
I should've bought more copies of that :lol

Edit: I will be unavailable for a few hours because I'm gonna go pass out. Good night everyone.
Well we are FGCGAF

Night. Also thanks for the giveaway.

Jman014

Say what you will about Korra S2, but I find (spoilers for episodes 7 & 8)
the story of the first Avatar really cool and entertaining. I suppose that's where the season picks up.

Like every steam sale, it'll be back.

I'll enter for the Astebreed.

Yeah it's nice to know the origins of the Avatar.

Thanks for doing a giveaway, man.

I entered for Legend of Heroes.

This is awesome man! I entered for Astebreed and Legends of Heroes

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
How powerful are we talking here? Also, it's just that her efficiency against bosses is the pay-off for being less efficient against regular mobs. My team of melee/sorc seem to destroy regular enemies relatively easily, whereas I need to keep repositioning, charging and aiming at constantly moving enemies (all the while having to pick up new arrows).

Ah, all right. Sounds pretty good. I did put points into Salamander oil though. Does the extra wind damage stack with the oil or is it rather a "use oil only on bosses" kind of thing?

Yeah, I know. I either dodge or jump to get out of the animation.

I honestly don't know. The game was patched before I could try out the Elf. I just remember reading in the OT how there was basically no point in using any other character against bosses because she tore them apart.

Honestly the mob frustration is more just because you're starting out, I feel. Sorcs and Wizards will have similar issues at the beginning. The Elf can manage crowds, but she needs more abilities, and the arrow droprate is pretty high (that's also been tweaked).

The wind damage is a passive skill, so I believe it just stacks with the Oil.

I generally save the oil for bosses, but if you're not getting ready for a huge endurance session, you can use it more liberally. You'll want to have a lot of Bags to carry with you, so you can swap Bags during progression forks.

Sorcs are amazing support characters. They will always make your team much much stronger with Protect alone. I usually main Sorc, so that's where most of my knowledge lies.

I like how the instasynch room still plays videos even when nobody is in there lol.

i passed the hell out last night once that soothing ass ken ashcorp song started playing
I know, lol. I wondered why you were still connected when I left to go pass out, but I figured that happened.

Top Bottom