• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

It seemed really jarring looking at the past 3D models from the past two games in comparison to 3. I did really enjoy the music for the great bosses that show up along with the subtle ones in some cutscenes.

Some of the animations might seem off due to the disconnectedness of the double and revenge moves, but its pretty much my major gripe.

I hope they do eventually make an HD collection since 3's models could hold up today. If my PS2 didn't break I would love to have replayed it.

In comparison to 1 and 2 though the animations look great. Everything just looks so damn nice, especially because I'm finally running component cables on my ps2 now. Everything just looked and felt really awkward in 1, and 2 is just a mess in other places where 1 had it down. 3 has been very clean and nice to play and look at and everything just moves faster.

Oh well thank you very much, weirdly enough it seems we got paired up. I just sent you a couple things on steam. Hopefully the other stuff gets to you soon. The simplicity of the Irish postal system has defeated me.
I think everyone is actually paired up, so it's not a very secret Santa, lol.
Yeah I'm aware that those two went off the rails. Not interested in those at all.
Super is still good, just really different. I'm only 10 minutes into Sticker Star though.

Super is still good, just really different. I'm only 10 minutes into Sticker Star though.

Super is a very good game and definitely has the Paper Mario sense of humor with the way it approaches everything, including its worlds/characters and its hub. It has the same charm the first two games had and only hated by people because it plays like a 2D mario game. I personally think that's a dumb reason to hate on it, but you know how people hate change.

Sticker Star though. No.

Super is a very good game and definitely has the Paper Mario sense of humor with the way it approaches everything, including its worlds/characters and its hub. It has the same charm the first two games had and only hated by people because it plays like a 2D mario game. I personally think that's a dumb reason to hate on it, but you know how people hate change.

Super Paper Mario's overall narrative belongs in my top ten game stories.

Its so fucking good

What was you guyses moment that JoJo grabbed you forever?

For me it was Dio's entire introduction and how absolutely over the top it was. Dodging wine bottles, winning chess games for your food, and then he spits on the grave and walks into Jonathan's life SPECIFICALLY TO RUIN IT. And he jumps out of the carriage and he's menacing. Dio is pure hate and avarice and pettiness and he's magical and amazing.

360pages

You guys should Legit play all the Kirby games.

Nightmare in Dream Land. Super Star Ultra, Triple Deluxe. Return to Dreamland. They are all little gems that are pushed back by bigger names.

Sticker Star though. No.
Super only hurts because I would've preferred another 64/TTYD style Paper Mario, but it was super fun to play through, and in the end I was cool with it as a spinoff. Hearing all this stuff about Sticker Star will probably depress me when I get farther.

For me it was Dio's entire introduction and how absolutely over the top it was. Dodging wine bottles, winning chess games for your food, and then he spits on the grave and walks into Jonathan's life SPECIFICALLY TO RUIN IT. And he jumps out of the carriage and he's menacing. Dio is pure hate and avarice and pettiness and he's magical and amazing.
Part 1 Slice Of Life era grabbed me when I read the manga, like I think it does for most people, then the lamer Fist of the North Star stuff was like "eh", but then Part 2 blew my dick off. Part 4 cemented my love for the series I think, though.

Paper Mario was so fucking good. TTYD was ultra good. Super was pretty good once you got over it not being turn based combat.

I haven't played sticker star yet. I don't know if I ever will.

You guys should Legit play all the Kirby games.

Nightmare in Dream Land. Super Star Ultra, Triple Deluxe. Return to Dreamland. They are all little gems that are pushed back by bigger names.

Super Star Ultra is amazing and one of the better handheld games I've ever played.

The introduction of Mr. L and that whole world in general is arguably the best chapter of any Paper Mario game.

Mr. L is my favorite thing about Project M.

demidar

566.gif

I really liked the manga/show but it was not until I started watched Part 2 until I was completely grabbed by it. Joseph is the best

Honestly, the entire intro scene to the series was just fucking fantastic.

Mr. L is my favorite thing about Project M.

And don't forget about Brobot and
THE AWESOME SCHMUP BOSS BATTLE IN SPACE.
SO GOOD.

Super only hurts because I would've preferred another 64/TTYD style Paper Mario, but it was super fun to play through, and in the end I was cool with it as a spinoff. Hearing all this stuff about Sticker Star will probably depress me when I get farther.

I honestly didn't mind it. I never mind when a series wants to change direction and do something different to keep it fresh. SPM was still a blast to play through and had everything that makes a paper mario game good, even without the turn based combat.

I honestly didn't mind it. I never mind when a series wants to change direction and do something different to keep it fresh. SPM was still a blast to play through and had everything that makes a paper mario game good, even without the turn based combat.
Now it's great, but I do actually love the action command system. I want more RPGs with that.
Hm..well so far I've learned I'm getting a big ass thing of Arizona Blueberry White Tea, some Moon Pies, and an obscene amount of Pocky. Good Christmas man.
Dude, nice. That sounds awesome.

The 3rd
Nerd
Chapter was great too.

Spoilers for Super Paper Mario

It has one the best love stories in gaming

Nerr 2 babe for life.

Now it's great, but I do actually love the action command system. I want more RPGs with that.

Dude, nice. That sounds awesome.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a return to a TTYD style gameplay, but it needs a little more depth in order for it to really work.

No. Nothing about either of those things trumps the fact that when Luigi is separated from Mario he becomes the biggest threat to the party in that whole game.

The most interesting thing about Luigi is hearing all his cool stories from TTYD and wanting to play that in a game SO BAD. But yeah, Mr. L is so cool and I won't reveal the last twist with Luigi in that game either because its pretty special.

Woof. The framerate hit going from 3DS to Wii U Monster Hunter is fucking weird. Not to mention all the different UI. Playing a game for 120 hours and then it changing like this feels fucking weird.

Also, transferring save data from 3DS to Wii U and vice versa is awesome.
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a return to a TTYD style gameplay, but it needs a little more depth in order for it to really work.
I just fucking love timed button presses, it's like a parry mechanic in an RPG. Putting new stuff in would really help though.

croten

Woof. The framerate hit going from 3DS to Wii U Monster Hunter is fucking weird. Not to mention all the different UI. Playing a game for 120 hours and then it changing like this feels fucking weird.

Also, transferring save data from 3DS to Wii U and vice versa is awesome.
I just fucking love timed button presses, it's like a parry mechanic in an RPG. Putting new stuff in would really help though.

Is the frame rate worse?

Top Bottom