• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

If they didn't Market D4 at all why would they market this? It's just another Niche japanese thing that isn't going to sell

D4, even if it was marketed, wasn't going to sell. It was a small, XBLA exclusive niche Japanese game. Casuals weren't going to go for that.

Scalebound is a exclusive retail game, with an established name on it. It has, presumably, the Platinum hype that can easily capture the casuals, and Microsoft has a ton of money to pour into it.

If MS plays their cards right, it'll be the best selling Platinum IP to date. Easily.

croten

D4, even if it was marketed, wasn't going to sell. It was a small, XBLA exclusive niche Japanese game. Casuals weren't going to go for that.

Scalebound is a exclusive retail game, with an established name on it. It has, presumably, the Platinum hype that can easily capture the casuals, and Microsoft has a ton of money to pour into it.

If MS plays their cards right, it'll be the best selling Platinum IP to date. Easily.

Platinum has never been for casuals, the Platinum hype is for us. The only Platinum game that sold well was a part of a much bigger franchise.

It blows my mind how consoles fell out of favor in Japan and led to the rise of mobile games. What do mobile phone games look like in Japan?

Puzzles and Dragons looks like a Pokemon and Heartstone fusion. And, of course, they got the puzzle games, "RTS" games, and Love Live.

demidar

Speaking of which, is there a website where I can play DND? I mean, make a character, have a chat style of interaction, and there's some gui?

Dungeons and Dragons? I used roll20 but it isn't specifically for DND (you'll have to keep your own character sheet and stuff on some paper, .pdf file or an Excel spreadsheet). It has dice roll commands, chat + mic and video, a gridded board, stat/attribute tracking and macro support.

Edit: It attempts to emulate a tabletop game. If you're looking for games that use DND rulesets then I can provide a list if you like.

Someone hasn't heard of Puzzles and Dragons.

I don't know man. Love Live is super popular in Japan. Wouldn't be surprised if by the end of their idol craze it's the most popular game in Japan ever.

Even anime fans outside of Japan love that game. I know people that have put hundreds of hours into that thing. It's like the WWE superstar card game for anime fans.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
?

Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta are super accessible, aren't they?

They're accessible, but there's a level of depth in there that most casuals won't even touch, and to get the full experience and value out of the game, you have either be experienced in character action or be willing to learn.

Most people aren't.

Platinum has never been for casuals, the Platinum hype is for us. The only Platinum game that sold well was a part of a much bigger franchise.

Which shows that people who don't typically play Platinum games will give them a shot if it's something they can care about. MS knows how sell products.

Granted, I'm not optismistic about the sales either, because Microsoft probably be too busy trying to sell Tomb Raider and Halo 5, if it comes out in 2015, or Crackdown, if it comes out in 2016. I do believe it has a higher floor than the Nintendo Platinum games, though.

demidar

I don't know man. Love Live is super popular in Japan. Wouldn't be surprised if by the end of their idol craze it's the most popular game in Japan ever.

Even anime fans outside of Japan love that game. I know people that have put hundreds of hours into that thing. It's like the WWE superstar card game for anime fans.

A quick Wikipedia check says Puzzles & Dragons was downloaded (would downloads be the same as number of users?) 35+ million times.

I can't find anything on number of players/users though so *shrug*

ultimax

Well...it is pretty good......

im guilty

croten

Which shows that people who don't typically play Platinum games will give them a shot if it's something they can care about. MS knows how sell products.

Granted, I'm not optismistic about the sales either, because Microsoft probably be too busy trying to sell Tomb Raider and Halo 5, if it comes out in 2015, or Crackdown, if it comes out in 2016. I do believe it has a higher floor than the Nintendo Platinum games, though.

They didn't know how to sell D4.

Puzzles and Dragons has completely dominated Japan for years straight, while Love Live has fallen a bit in the charts. P&D is at 35 million plus, while Love Live just hit 10 million, and is trailing.

Even though Monster Strike took last month.

?

Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta are super accessible, aren't they?

Bayonetta 2 is probably the most accessible of all of Platinum's games which is probably why it has the highest metacritic of their games. Even then, Bayo 2 has some serious depth that a lot of people, especially casuals who don't know much about action games, just wouldn't get.

I've seen people call Platinum's Korra a Beat'em up, though to be fair, that was on YouTube (and it was ProJared)

They're accessible, but there's a level of depth in there that most casuals won't even touch, and to get the full experience and value out of the game, you have either be experienced in character action or be willing to learn.

Most people aren't.

That's a travesy. And people wonder why I shit on games like Assassin's Creed.
Press A to win got really old after AC3.

They didn't know how to sell D4.

TBH, they didn't make the effort.

Bayonetta 2 is probably the most accessible of all of Platinum's games which is probably why it has the highest metacritic of their games. Even then, Bayo 2 has some serious depth that a lot of people, especially casuals who don't know much about action games, just wouldn't get.

I've seen people call Platinum's Korra a Beat'em up, though to be fair, that was on YouTube (and it was ProJared)

Character Action evolved from Beat Em Up's, so I can see that as a fair assessment.
Even playing Bayo 1, there's a lot of casual accessibility there, but people complain about the sexualized Bayonetta and miss the entire point of the game.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Dungeons and Dragons? I used roll20 but it isn't specifically for DND (you'll have to keep your own character sheet and stuff on some paper, .pdf file or an Excel spreadsheet). It has dice roll commands, chat + mic and video, a gridded board, stat/attribute tracking and macro support.

Edit: It attempts to emulate a tabletop game. If you're looking for games that use DND rulesets then I can provide a list if you like.

Yes please.

You could if you tried. I mean SBF managed to get all of us hype and they're just 4 dudes.

That's also because we knew it was the same guy that made Deadly Premonition. And before their LP of that I didn't give a single shit about that. I didn't even know it existed.

That ProJared review got me really salty. Blah.

Anyway, I think games like MGR and Bayo 2 are great. It bridges the gap of accessibility, and can spread the genre around to where more people can get into the games. I only played DMC because of MGR.

Anyway, I think games like MGR and Bayo 2 are great. It bridges the gap of accessibility, and can spread the genre around to where more people can get into the games. I only played DMC because of MGR.

I remember when jared called papers please a post 9/11 allegory and I got mad for the rest of the day.

That's also because we knew it was the same guy that made Deadly Premonition. And before their LP of that I didn't give a single shit about that. I didn't even know it existed.

Bingo. The majority of the market doesn't even know who Swery is. All they see is some weird game, with primitive graphics, and that it costs $15.

Does it? The Gamer old guard have this weird idea that hyper sexualized characters means the game is trash.

Bullshit!
Paul Marketing tweeted about D4 to his 200 followers.

ITS JIMMY FROM FINANCE'S FAULT!

croten

I might disagree with the score but all his points were valid.

Top Bottom