• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

I think we also fail to forget that Deadly Prem. has the Twin Peaks crossover appeal going for it.

With D4, we have no idea what SWERY is parodying.

That ProJared review got me really salty. Blah.

I might disagree with the score but all his points were valid.

Again, except when he called it a Beat Em Up. Jared knows about character action about as much I know about Magic the Gathering. Which is why the review didn't really get to me. He's a great guy with some great and well done video and I tend to agree with a lot of what he says outside of the action genre, but when it comes to character action he really just can't understand a lot of the core mechanics of that genre. Classifying Platinum's style of character action as a beat em up is just like me classifying magic the gathering as like uno or go fish.

Exactly, appeal to that market. They didn't even try.

Obviously they could have done a better job of marketing. I won't deny that. But it wouldn't have sold much more. The game is just too weird for people that especially own an XBone. Most people that do bought it for things like Master Chief Collection or Titanfall.

Does it? The Gamer old guard have this weird idea that hyper sexualized characters means the game is trash.!
I gave Bayo 1/2 to a friend who's just a big Nintendo guy, hadn't played an action game for more than a few minutes. He struggled through the first game with items before he got the second, where the lower difficulty and such got him inspired to play better. Now I'm gonna try to get him into DMC with 1 or 3.
I might disagree with the score but all his points were valid.
He didn't list any positives, but I guess I just care too much about a one minute review.

I gave Bayo 1/2 to a friend who's just a big Nintendo guy, hadn't played an action game for more than a few minutes. He struggled through the first game with items before he got the second, where the lower difficulty and such got him inspired to play better. Now I'm gonna try to get him into DMC with 1 or 3.

Only get him into one if he cares about the history of why games like Bayo and MGR exist. Otherwise, he's better off skipping to 3. I'd say that 1 is arguably just as hard as 3 because 1 doesn't have infinite lives and if you game over you have to start from the beginning of the mission.

Only get him into one if he cares about the history of why games like Bayo and MGR exist. Otherwise, he's better off skipping to 3. I'd say that 1 is arguably just as hard as 3 because 1 doesn't have infinite lives and if you game over you have to start from the beginning of the mission.

This. I have the OG PS2 copy and I forgot how difficult the game is.

This. I have the OG PS2 copy and I forgot how difficult the game is.

The game has some really difficult moments. I died in one far more than three, but maybe that's just because I got better at the game by the time I beat 1 and 2. But stuff like Phantom 1, Nightmare 3 and Mundus fucked me up hard where I'm 3 I only had real problems with
Beowulf, Arkham and Vergil 3.

I had $6 on PSN so I bought RE2 for my Vita. Time to suck at it.
The type of guy he is, he likes playing older originals. Despite the challenge, I think he's acted more interested in 1, and he'd probably like it more with the campy RE tone. He owns a original PS2 copy of DMC3 that he hasn't played, but if he does he's gonna be playing on no-checkpoints on hard, so I told him to hold off and borrow my PS3 sometime.

Question:

Why isn't there portable character action games?

I'm curious why there aren't more DMC games for Vita or PSP, or are they out there and I don't know about them.

Motherfucker I missed the launch of the new thread. It had to happen while I was away from my computer...at the Gameworks...playing Pop'n Music...

Guys, Pop'n Music is my new crack. Fuck Persona, rhythm games are one hell of a drug.

Yeah yeah yeah! Have you played RE1?
Noooope. I just grabbed 2 since I've seen the RE2 LP, with no knowledge put into the choice.
Motherfucker I missed the launch of the new thread. It had to happen while I was away from my computer...at the Gameworks...playing Pop'n Music...

Guys, Pop'n Music is my new crack. Fuck Persona, rhythm games are one hell of a drug.
I have a dose of Project Diva crack at least once a week now. I bought songs for Jubeat on iOS, and I just reinstalled Love Live.

Question:

I'm curious why there aren't more DMC games for Vita or PSP, or are they out there and I don't know about them.

I always assumed that niche genre on a smaller market means no sales.

Rhythm games are dumb

demidar

Yes please.

Well I'm not the most knowledgeable about these games but I can give it a shot.

Almost all Infinity Engine games use ADND 2nd editiom. This means it uses THAC0, resting usually takes in-game hours and you can get interrupted by enemies, these games usually run with 6 character parties (any mix of your own creations and companion NPCs with stories/quests) and have a simple world map where you select locations of interests rather than manual traversal. Some games may also use the "feats" system (I think Icewind Dale 2 does).

- Baldur's Gate 1
- Baldur's Gate 2 + expansions
- Icewind Dale 1 and 2
- Temple of Elemental Evil
- Planescape Torment (you can't make your own character here, but you can choose the personality) (also probably best 2nd edition game)

Then there's the other games that use 3.5 edition rules. They changed out THAC0 with attack bonus vs. armour class (this is much simpler to understand while doing the same thing as THAC0), you generally only create a single character and party sizes range from 2 to 4 (not counting summons and familiars). Resting is convenient and quick and there is usually no chance of getting attacked. Overworld maps are generally the same as in 2nd edition games. Prestige classes are also included from NWN1 Shadows of Undrentide onwards.

- Neverwinter Nights 1 + expansions
- Neverwinter Nights 2 + Mask of the Betrayer (this expansion is probably one of the best 3rd edition games)
- NWN2 Storm of Zehir (weird expansion, you can have a 6-man party and the world map is traversable, characters can be a mix of player-created or companion NPCs, has a trading system and a keep upgrade system)

All these games are real-time with pause I think.

There's probably more, and there are a dozen spinoff that don't play anything like the above (Dark Alliance series, probably a few dungeon crawlers) but that should cover the most prominent ones.

Question:

Control scheme, maybe? It's a worthwhile idea, even though the Vita is basically a mini console, making the advantage of developing for portable disappear.

I wish I could play Pop'n Music.

Question:

Because getting those kind of games to run on a vita or especially a PSP at 60 FPS would require some seriously good optimizing programming skills. Also, no left or right trigger which are extremely important in these kind of games. Korra wasn't exactly "easy" to control in Remote Play since R2 and L2 were block/parry and dodge which on the vita is the rear touch pad.

I
The type of guy he is, he likes playing older originals. Despite the challenge, I think he's acted more interested in 1, and he'd probably like it more with the campy RE tone. He owns a original PS2 copy of DMC3 that he hasn't played, but if he does he's gonna be playing on no-checkpoints on hard, so I told him to hold off and borrow my PS3 sometime.

Then he'll love DMC1. It's a good game and the father of stylish character action so I'll always respect it for that.

I'm guilty of putting too much time into both.

LOL I knew you probably would have.

Control scheme, maybe? It's a worthwhile idea, even though the Vita is basically a mini console, making the advantage of developing for portable disappear.

Korra could've been ported to a handheld. So could Bayo, MGR, Vanquish, DMC, A:R, etc. and could entice more people to dive into the console.

Probably smaller budgets for smaller hardware too.

croten

Again, except when he called it a Beat Em Up. Jared knows about character action about as much I know about Magic the Gathering. Which is why the review didn't really get to me. He's a great guy with some great and well done video and I tend to agree with a lot of what he says outside of the action genre, but when it comes to character action he really just can't understand a lot of the core mechanics of that genre. Classifying Platinum's style of character action as a beat em up is just like me classifying magic the gathering as like uno or go fish.

Other than it's genre he still got it down right. All of his complaints were valid.

Duplolas

Banned
Calm down! There's like 19000 posts to go!

n4ytlNz.png

This picture took me about 20 minutes to make.

Please appreciate it. :D

Its awful. I know. I am just so bored at work. :(

I have a dose of Project Diva crack at least once a week now. I bought songs for Jubeat on iOS, and I just reinstalled Love Live.
I also tried my hands at nonstop mode in DDR Extreme. Almost completed it till I fucked up the last song. I may not be ready for 4 songs in a row with no breaks

I wish I could play Pop'n Music.
I should just buy that DJ Dao Pop'n Music controller and one of the PS2 games, but that would cost me 300 bucks. I may or may not be on the verge of another unwise spending decision.

Other than it's genre he still got it down right. All of his complaints were valid.

Of course they were. Not polished, story, lack of variety in enemies, camera etc. Basically anything that has to do with the game outside of the core mechanics was spot on. It's just that how much he values that other fluff compared to character action fans is much greater and that shows in his score. I have the same complaints otherwise but I'd give the game a high 7-low 8 mostly because I've never played an action game because it looks nice or has a well written deep story.

Korra could've been ported to a handheld. So could Bayo, MGR, Vanquish, DMC, A:R, etc. and could entice more people to dive into the console.

Probably smaller budgets for smaller hardware too.
Korra's the only one I see making a splash on portable. The other games are too much, and the main audience would prefer playing on a home console. Maybe Anarchy Reigns, but that didn't make money on consoles either.

Shackzam

Romars. I'm gonna be gone for like another hour, I hope you're still on by then. Also, fuck my ippo game won't be shipped until Wednesday next week.

The thing with most character action games is that they use just about every button on the controller, and what the Vita lacks are actual L2 and R2 triggers.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma + is on there and works alright because that game didn't assign separate functions to 4 trigger buttons. You only really needed 2.

Top Bottom