• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

croten

Of course they were. Not polished, story, lack of variety in enemies, camera etc. Basically anything that has to do with the game outside of the core mechanics was spot on. It's just that how much he values that other fluff compared to character action fans is much greater and that shows in his score. I have the same complaints otherwise but I'd give the game a high 7-low 8 mostly because I've never played an action game because it looks nice or has a well written deep story.

I think it's was Platinum's shittest combat system. press X X X X X X X X X X X X and on occasion Y. once you get the airbending then fuck everything else because it's OP as shit. Most platinum games have depth or are at least satisfying, this one was neither.

Squishy3

I asked them and I do get the pre-order bonuses as well. As least there's that.
Then they should have said that on the page for the game.

In before the customer rep was actually Woolie the liar.

I think it's was Platinum's shittest combat system. press X X X X X X X X X X X X and on occasion Y. once you get the airbending then fuck everything else because it's OP as shit. Most platinum games have depth or are at least satisfying, this one was neither.
Everything wrong with Korra can absolutely be attributed to it's a budget licensed game published by Activision. I mean, you can beat Bayonetta by mashing the X X and the Y Y Y, but there's plenty of depth to be discovered. Korra has less depth because it's a $15 downloadable budget game, but there's still advanced techniques.

The thing with most character action games is that they use just about every button on the controller, and what the Vita lacks are actual L2 and R2 triggers.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma + is on there and works alright because that game didn't assign separate functions to 4 trigger buttons. You only really needed 2.
Nah, you can just use the rear touchpad.

Don't you guys love.. the... rear... touchpad...

croten

Then they should have said that on the page for the game.

In before the customer rep was actually Woolie the liar.

Everything wrong with Korra can absolutely be attributed to it's a budget licensed game published by Activision. I mean, you can beat Bayonetta by mashing the X X and the Y Y Y, but there's plenty of depth to be discovered. Korra has less depth because it's a $15 downloadable budget game, but there's still advanced techniques.

Which is why I give it the benefit of the doubt and would rate it a 6/10.

Squishy3

Think about it real hard and tell me if rear touch for real time weapon switching in a theoretical DMC5 is a good idea.

It's not.
They should port DmC to Vita so you have to use the rear touchpad to activate the demon and angel weapons to fight the mandatory colored enemies.

The thing with most character action games is that they use just about every button on the controller, and what the Vita lacks are actual L2 and R2 triggers.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma + is on there and works alright because that game didn't assign separate functions to 4 trigger buttons. You only really needed 2.

I think you can circumvent that if you set the second thumbstick as the dodge/parry button. Games like DMC or Bayo, where you have a third attack button like Bayo or Dante's guns, sorely need to lose the gun attack should they ever come to portables.

In other words, the devs and publishers could gain some bucks and sell units, but the hardware logistics aren't enticing enough for people to buy in.

I can't agree with that. Switching bending in the middle of a combo and attacking with that is pretty satisfying. And the parry mechanic is the most satisfying parry I've seen outside of like Revengeance. Plus the charge mechanic to build up chi so your combos can do more damage and have more hitstun was really interesting and not something I've seen from Platinum's other games. When it comes to character action, it's Platinum's weakest title, but still far better than what almost any other company could ever do with an Avatar action game.

I mean, you could beat Bayo 2 only using the PKP combo, but you can obviously do a lot more in Bayo. Korra doesn't have as much flexibility, but it's 15 dollars so.....

I think you can circumvent that if you set the second thumbstick as the dodge/parry button. Games like DMC or Bayo, where you have a third attack button like Bayo or Dante's guns, sorely need to lose the gun attack should they ever come to portables.

In other words, the devs and publishers could gain some bucks and sell units, but the hardware logistics aren't enticing enough for people to buy in.

I would never in my life ever buy or play this version of the games. Especially DMC where guns are extremely important to a lot of what you do.

All I know is that Korra needs a full budget sequel, so Plat can use all the potential. They did a great job with the obviously super low budget they had, so here's hoping Activision sees the money in it.

Most likely scenario is that it never happens again, but then again who could have predicted the game in the first place.

Actually, to be serious, Wonderful 101 would work on a handheld. Could even use the front touchscreen on Vita.

bnMGL.gif

Jman014

All I know is that Korra needs a full budget sequel, so Plat can use all the potential. They did a great job with the obviously super low budget they had, so here's hoping Activision sees the money in it.

Most likely scenario is that it never happens again, but then again who could have predicted the game in the first place.

I like Korra but I'd rather see Revengeance 2 or a silly crossover thing where Korra uses her bending AND gets to use a sword for ridiculousness

Like when Sam cuts the RAY in half in the dlc. His sword isn't long enough to slice the RAY in half all the way. It's so ridiculous that I love it.

What the fuck, After Burner Climax is getting delisted from PSN and XBLA this month?

I have not had as much of a desire to get a game that's about to disappear as much as this one. Buy it now, people, it's only 10 bucks. Unless for some reason you hate arcade games in which case I feel sorry for you.

No way.

Also, the cost of porting probably won't be made up in sales. It's just lost money.

With 2 less shoulder buttons, I'm trying to economize the game for the handheld.

I think the games should just come with an option to buy a grip that has an R2 and L2 button. The vita is not a comfortable system to hold for a long time, especially if you're trying to play games on infinite climax or DMD mode.

Squishy3

I really don't think it could. That game lags on the Wii U, it would be a slideshow on the Vita.
Also the Vita right stick would be awful for drawing the shapes. Nobody sensible uses the touch screen on the Wii U version, why would they use the Vita touch screen?

croten

I can't agree with that. Switching bending in the middle of a combo and attacking with that is pretty satisfying. And the parry mechanic is the most satisfying parry I've seen outside of like Revengeance. Plus the charge mechanic to build up chi so your combos can do more damage and have more hitstun was really interesting and not something I've seen from Platinum's other games. When it comes to character action, it's Platinum's weakest title, but still far better than what almost any other company could ever do with an Avatar action game.

I mean, you could beat Bayo 2 only using the PKP combo, but you can obviously do a lot more in Bayo. Korra doesn't have as much flexibility, but it's 15 dollars so.....

I think the parry system was shit, it was far to lenient and slowed things down too much, and making you do a QTE after hitting it was boring. I'll admit that charging your chi meter was kinda cool but that was the only interesting part of the combat to me. The 15 dollars excuse only goes to actual in game content to me, it doesn't excuse shitty combat.

Romars. I'm gonna be gone for like another hour, I hope you're still on by then. Also, fuck my ippo game won't be shipped until Wednesday next week.

It's cool, I go do something and come back in an hour. Just promise we'll play more than one game this time!

GG Romars, Playing against Kanji really helped learn my match ups with him. That Sho vs Pershona was too hype.

That was a good fight. A couple of those Liz and Kanji matches were really great too, but watch that jump in, you spammed it too much and I started anticipating it.

Not to preorder, he said.

Another game you shouldn't preorder is Dying Light.

I'm pretty sure the multiplayer or something is behind a preorder pay wall for dying light, which is sad cause the game looks kinda cool.

He also doesn't say that, he says to be cautious in pre-ordering, due to it looking rough for a few reasons that are going to turn a lot of people off.

Well I'm dumb.

I think the games should just come with an option to buy a grip that has an R2 and L2 button. The vita is not a comfortable system to hold for a long time, especially if you're trying to play games on infinite climax or DMD mode.

it is baffling that the vita doesn't have 4 shoulders buttons.

The DS4 controller style grip is the most ideal way to play character action. Playing Bayo on the Gamepad can get super uncomfortable.

I think the parry system was shit, it was far to lenient and slowed things down too much, and making you do a QTE after hitting it was boring. I'll admit that charging your chi meter was kinda cool but that was the only interesting part of the combat to me. The 15 dollars excuse only goes to actual in game content to me, it doesn't excuse shitty combat.

I don't think the combat is shit at all. It's not good for a platinum game, but have you played games like Thor, Green Lantern or the ps2 ATLA games? Those games have shit combat and Korra blows them out of the water.

If you're standard for combat in a video game is "if it's not Bayo, Revengeance or DMC3/4, then it's shit" then that's just unfair.

Eh, the multi player isn't a big deal for me in Dying Light, I just wanna play the single player and do parkour shit while bashing zombies' skulls in.

And the Order I think is looking pretty solid, if not mind blowing gameplay wise. There was that 15 minute B-Roll footage that was circulating yesterday, and it did a way better job of showing off the game than any of Sony's marketing so far.

Top Bottom