• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Zenfalcia

Huge list of animes i'll watch at least 4 episodes
Amagi brilliant part (Fanservice the anime)
cross ange (Yuri and edgey gore the anime)
daitoshokan no hitsujikai (low expectations)
Denki-gai no honya-san (manga was amazing)
donten ni warau (low expectations)
fate/stay night: unlimated blade works (will watch after i finish the VN)
Garo (low expectations)
Girlfriend (kari) (low expectations)
Grisaia (after i finish the VN)
Gugure! kokkuri-san
Gundam: g no reconguista (low expectations)
inou-battle
kiseiju (parasyte)
log horizon s2
Madan no ou to vanadis (low expectations)
Nanatsu no taizai (manga was good)
Ookami shoujo to kuro ouji (i'm a sucker for shoujo)
ore, twintail ni narimasu (low expectations)
Psycho-pass 2
Sanzoku no musume (low expectations)
shigatsu wa kimi no uso (low expectations)
shingeki no bahamut genesis (low expectations)
shirobako
sora no method (low expectations)
terra formars (I already read the manga so ehhhhh)
Trinity seven (i'm reading the manga so i know what to expect)
Tsukimonogatari (it's monogatari related, so i kinda have to)
ushinawareta mirai wo motomete (low expectations)
World trigger (low expectations)
Yuuki yuuna wa yuusha de aru (low expectations)

This list is ambitious but it's fineeee.
I ended up dropping everything but Denki-Gai, Shirobako, Inou Battle and Parasyte, with Chaika, Akame Ga Kill, and SAO2 being on hold until done for marathons.

I wish Akame ga kill didn't make the anime story line original.. they ruined a lot of characterizations of a few characters and make cool characters seem dumb. No Psycho pass? I'm a little surprised.
Culture shock from the Hot Springs expectations to reality is great. The Hot Spring scene really sets the mood for working to bigger and greater things. Yoko saying that Simon was just in Kamina's shadow and saying he has potential seems to make Simon more mature enough to not wanting to peek anymore. Kamina has blaring faults that don't seem to change. While he is cool and inspiring, flaws that he has put him in dangerous situations like his gunman being stolen. I do hope he fixes them and somewhat grows up like Simon.

Yep.. but that's why simon's there to help Kamina out when kamina has flaws.
Funny terrible or terrible terrible? And not looking for fanservice atm, maybe when my mood changes

It depends. Most of her dialogue is with the "Senpai" so she said senpai a lot during an event to call out to him or just in normal dialogue.. it could be funny dumb, but eh. It's better than the desu after ever sentence.

This list is ambitious but it's fineeee.

79082c53ef42bdc500f5f182cef6e32a6d0a052c0f613ffdf61525d3c855c0db.jpg

360pages

Smash Run is still really fun, don't know how to feel about having to beat it with 1st place with all the characters. But you know.

I'm almost done all the challenges as well.

Man I wish Kamina wasn't so arrogant. His ideals of fighting is inspiring, but he doesn't seem to listen to anyone. if he didn't give his trust in Simon, He could have been done for. He has to rely on Simon more and more. Man I really wished I hadn't seen the episode preview. This looks like the end of him and he really never developed. He seemed more like a symbol of hope in becoming the best rather than just a character. Though he's the one that gave Simon the confidence that he needed to do great things.

Smash Run is still really fun, don't know how to feel about having to beat it with 1st place with all the characters. But you know.

I'm almost done all the challenges as well.

Smash run would of been fun for me if every enemy didn't smack me back and forth with each other

croten

Man I wish Kamina wasn't so arrogant. His ideals of fighting is inspiring, but he doesn't seem to listen to anyone. if he didn't give his trust in Simon, He could have been done for. He has to rely on Simon more and more. Man I really wished I hadn't seen the episode preview. This looks like the end of him and he really never developed. He seemed more like a symbol of hope in becoming the best rather than just a character. Though he's the one that gave Simon the confidence that he needed to do great things.

You should never watch episode previews. 90% of the time they're nothing or spoilers

360pages

Smash run would of been fun for me if every enemy didn't smack me back and forth with each other

Yeah, at first I went into Smash run expecting brain dead enemies, but those bastards are aggressive as hell.

You have to have a basic understanding of their patterns. Also abilities like powerbombs and lasers help.

AggroWill

Neo Member
Warning, this is gonna be stupidly long.

I just watched the Sony event video, and Pat's argument with Woolie and Liam about whether game reviews should incorporate score caught my attention. Reposted from my OP on Reddit (hope that's okay).

I completely agree with Pat. Price should absolutely be a factor when judging a game as something to be scored or whether or not it is worth being purchased. I'm not an entertainment critic or a "game journalist," but I review a lot of electronics and a good number of games for my job, and I can offer some perspective about what a review should be and what should be in it.

Reviews give consumers an idea of whether or not they should buy a product. Not only is it right for them, but is it a good value? Asking if a game is worth your money is no different than asking if an album, a movie, or an HDTV is worth your money.

Albums and movies don't usually bring the specific price into question, because it's a very limited range that is dependent on from where you buy them. An album will be $12-18 if you get it online, or can be up to around $25 if you get it from a brick and mortar store. A movie will be between $8-18 depending on where in the country you live, if you see a matinee, and if you see it in 3D or IMAX. There is a specific range and that range depends heavily on the consumer's source, not the MSRP.

Box sets, special editions, season collections, all of those things vary much more, and that's when you can put out the price as a specific factor. A movie on Blu-ray might be $20, but a special edition with a radical case and a soundtrack and book and lots of extra crap? A review of that release should definitely include the price, because the question the review should answer is whether or not that specific product is worth the price.

Games have that problem built-in, because a video game can be anywhere from $5 to $70, and that's not including the mobile garbage basement. That price is set by the publisher, and it's set with the amount of effort, resources, and perceived value of the game in mind. Whether it's an indie studio releasing a title for $10 or Square-Enix releasing another freaking Kingdom Hearts remaster for $40, or Activision releasing Destiny for $60 and then offering like 9 more missions and no new settings for $20 after that, the company putting the game out puts the price out as well. It's not a range set by the stores or theaters. They're setting the price for their game.

Now, especially in the case of Square-Enix and other companies who put out what they wanted to be AAA games and botching hard with mediocrity and missed points, the price for a game might drop after the first month to $20. It doesn't change that, when they put that game together, they wanted to make a $60 game. They had a $60 mindset and set out to make a game to justify that price, and they failed. They made a game they wanted to sell for $60, then said "Oh, shit," and cut the price to a point where it could sell. To paraphrase Professor Sadness, that's a failure of the game publisher.

A game can be really, really good and be short. That doesn't change with the price. A game can also be complete garbage and be long. A review has to answer whether or not the experience the game offers is worth your money and time. A really, really good game that's 3 hours long and costs $60 can absolutely get a good review that's justified. It's also nearly impossible because that would require such a combination of budget, time, and auteurish anal retentiveness to make that perfect a title.

Look at P.T. It's free, but would anyone here complain about spending $5 for the experience of that 20-minute mindfuck? Imagine if, instead of a whole, full-length Silent Hill game, P.T. became a three-hour horror title that offered the same experience as the demo, just with more location, set pieces, and a full plot. Imagine if Silent Hills was just 3 hours and $60, but was so tense, so frightening, and so brilliantly crafted that those three hours would stay with you as an example of the best of the entire genre, for years. Hell, even P.T. has gotten on some "Best horror games evuh" lists and it's a FREAKING DEMO. So, would you pay $5 for P.T.'s 20 minutes? Would you pay $60 for a three-hour P.T.? Regardless of your answer, would you want a review consider whether short-P.T. is $5 and long-P.T. is $60?

Going back to reviews and updating scores based on price would be great, but it's not feasible for most reviewers who do tons of reviews through the year. Keeping track of scores and prices is one thing, but having the original reviewer of a game go back to each game when the price changes and change the score accordingly, and changing the review copy to reflect the score change is another. If you just change the number or the grade, then you have a whole review built around the first price. If you keep the price out of consideration, then you have an unfinished review that doesn't address whether or not a game is worth your money in the first place. The price has to be there so, when the game comes out, the people who want to buy it can figure out if it's worth their money.

tl;dr, bullet point edition:
  • Games are made and published under the assumption that their launch price is justified.
  • Reviews are written to offer the best look at a game's value upon launch.
  • Also, don't just look at the numbers. Read the review to figure out if it's valuable to you. Reviewers don't always have the same taste as you (see: Godhand), but good reviewers will offer enough details about the game experience to let you figure out if it's worthwhile.

360pages

Honestly, the best thing can do for a long running series is change the cast. The Pokémon Anime would be a hell of a lot better if they constantly changed the protagonist, and have different personalities.

As long as Bolt is his own character and not Naruto 2.0 then I'm interested.

So after playing Guilty Gear Xrd a bunch last night and today on the PS4, i don't really like the PS4 controller for fighters like i did the PS3. That DPad, idk, i just can't do Double quarter circle forwards on it.

AggroWill

Neo Member
So after playing Guilty Gear Xrd a bunch last night and today on the PS4, i don't really like the PS4 controller for fighters like i did the PS3. That DPad, idk, i just can't do Double quarter circle forwards on it.

Don't worry, there's a super-easy hack to fix that. Just
git gud

Really? I can't do half the motions on a PS3 pad. Half circle back to forwards are almost impossible to me.

Top Bottom