• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 9: "Don't Get Cocky, Jesus!"

Somebody in that ugly fighting game thread mentioned BlazBlue character designs.

200.gif

I was going to laugh at Blazblue when I was playing it a couple weeks ago because both the characters on screen had a ton of belts but then I realized that I wear 3 belts at work and they are legitimately very helpful if you are carrying a bunch of stuff on you. BlazBlue's designs are stupid anime and that is why I like them. They are so ridiculous and over the top that it makes the endearing in my eyes

joe2187

Banned
I dont understand why people hate the SF4 art style. I've never had any issues with it, and after all this time it still looks good.

Not everyone likes anime designs. He's entitled to his opinion

Is this the first time you're seeing someone be outraged at another person's opinion? People were shit talking SkullGirls, you don't disagree with that vehemently? Someone calls Gurren Lagann garbage, you're not going to be even mildly annoyed at someone throwing out a wildly negative opinion about something you like without backing up any reasons for why they dislike it and instead just call it garbage? Then you, sir, are a better man than I.

I was going to laugh at Blazblue when I was playing it a couple weeks ago because both the characters on screen had a ton of belts but then I realized that I wear 3 belts at work and they are legitimately very helpful if you are carrying a bunch of stuff on you. BlazBlue's designs are stupid anime and that is why I like them. They are so ridiculous and over the top that it makes the endearing in my eyes

That's what I like about them too, but even if that's not your thing, they're clearly not actually bad designs. That's ridiculous.

I dont understand why people hate the SF4 art style. I've never had any issues with it, and after all this time it still looks good.

I really hate it, but the biggest issue are the models. Ryu looks like a challenged baboon man, and the stupid faces he makes are just annoying because he's one of my favorite characters of all time. SF5 caught him much better, and Chun Li too.

The new art and models are among the biggest reasons why I'm so hype for V.

Is this the first time you're seeing someone be outraged at another person's opinion? People were shit talking SkullGirls, you don't disagree with that vehemently? Someone calls Gurren Lagann garbage, you're not going to be even mildly annoyed at someone throwing out a wildly negative opinion about something you like without backing up any reasons for why they dislike it and instead just call it garbage? Then you, sir, are a better man than I.

That's what I like about them too, but even if that's not your thing, they're clearly not actually bad designs. That's ridiculous.

yeah there are people out in the world that cannot accept that something may not be to their tastes but that it is still good. people exist and we have to deal with it. I do not want to bring up a certain voice actor change again but do you accept that people prefer New iechay and that she is good if you look at it objectively, Even if it causes you pain? or just plain and simple dubs v subs?

croten

No obviously not, but are they saying the game is garbage or just the design? Because I can see how someone would hate the Blazblue design

I do not want to bring up a certain voice actor change again but do you accept that people prefer New iechay and that she is good if you look at it objectively, Even if it causes you pain?

No. That's the one thing where I fully and factually believe she's bad and everyone else in the world is wrong on every level. I acknowledge that I'm ridiculous on this, but I will not accept that she did even a competent job.

No obviously not, but are they saying the game is garbage or just the design? Because I can see how someone would hate the Blazblue design

Character designs. And I can see how they wouldn't, but they're obviously not garbage, which is what he's saying they are on every level.

croten

No. That's the one thing where I fully and factually believe she's bad and everyone else in the world is wrong on every level. I acknowledge that I'm ridiculous on this, but I will not accept that she did even a competent job.

Character designs. And I can see how they wouldn't, but they're obviously not garbage, which is what he's saying they are on every level.

I'm just going to say let it go. He's just some guy on another thread. Why should his opinion matter to you.

I'll just drop the discussion here

The animation in Madoka is good so far and I think I can already feel where the
EVA
comparisons are going to be coming from. I would be suspicious even if I had not been told about the similarities. Of course I still literally know nothing about anything so I may be grasping at straws

360pages

Really can't stand the new street fighter art style. It feels even worse than 4s honestly.

With that said, I am enjoying smash run a hell of a lot more than I thought still would rather have adventure mode though.

Was he trotting around complaining about the hentai-ishness of it, or actually seriously the artstyle?
Because if the latter, no, that shit looks glorious in hd got to say.

Just the art style. It's the biggest problem with that thread, people aren't explaining why they dislike things, they're just randomly saying "X looks like shit."

360pages

Also I think street fighter has the most dull designs compared to all other fighting games and as a result I prefer playing things like BB skullgirls and KOF. [It doesn't help that a lot of capcom fighting fans are really annoying]

[It doesn't help that a lot of capcom fighting fans are really annoying]

I've actually had nothing but the opposite experience in that the annoying people are the ones who don't like Street Fighter. Oregon's scene is filled with elitist motherfuckers who scoff at people playing anything but KOF.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Also I think street fighter has the most dull designs compared to all other fighting games and as a result I prefer playing things like BB skullgirls and KOF. [It doesn't help that a lot of capcom fighting fans are really annoying]

They're iconic. I wouldn't call them bad. I'd call them deliberately simple both design and color wise.

The fact that most people can recognize these characters instantly is a testament to that:

Even the newer characters like Juri, Abel, and Viper follow this same philosophy.

360pages

They're iconic. I wouldn't call them bad. I'd call them deliberately simple both design and color wise.

The fact that most people can recognize these characters instantly is a testament to that:

Even the newer characters like Juri, Abel, and Viper follow this same philosophy.

Not bad, just dull. Some characters I really like, but I much prefer the alpha characters or other fighting games design compared to stree fighter.

checkmate.
jokes obviouisly

I agree, the SF fanbase has a section of people who will dismiss anything that is not street fighter and will not give it a chance, but you can find those people in any community.

Every fighting game has it's fair share of annoying fans, Capcom's games are just alot more popular so you'll see them more often.

And I think you just don't like Street Fighter.

360pages

Every fighting game has it's fair share of annoying fans, Capcom's games are just alot more popular so you'll see them more often.

And I think you just don't like Street Fighter.

I like it, don't hate it at all honestly. I just prefer everything else more. Least favorite doesn't mean I hate it. I also like SF more than Killer Instinct in terms of character designs

360pages

I think SFV is very much tailored to look for what Americans want to see in fighting game. Which makes sense since Street fighter sales more here than in Japan where the gravitate to more of the Anime Fighters. I honestly wish the 3d Streetfighter games used Capcom VS Marvel 3 art direction. It's not sleek and it feels way too meaty, SF4 still had a cartoonish feel too it despite everyone being a bit more swoll.

Well, just finished inFamous Second Son, paragon route, 100% completion. Yeah, this game really is short compared to previous inFamous games, probably 10 hours or so. Not that I'm complaining though, didn't outstay its welcome. Though I still like inFamous 2 more, this one was still damn good, and I'll be looking forward to First Light being free on PSN next month.

Now to get back to playing through South Park, and see about getting my hands on Wolfenstein The New Order.

Oberon

Banned
It bothers me a little bit that Pat doesn't let Woolie form his own opinion of the game.

FTFY

I know why he does it for the weapons and all that, and we would probably have like 200 parts if he lets Woolie use the fist weapons. But it seems like it kind of spoils the fun for Woolie.

I like it, don't hate it at all honestly. I just prefer everything else more. Least favorite doesn't mean I hate it. I also like SF more than Killer Instinct in terms of character designs

In terms of designs and aesthetics, I prefer SF above every other fighter. I don't like "anime" designs so most of BB's are almost annoying to look at.
I'm definitely of the "simpler = better" philosophy of design, and whenever I see a design that has way too much going on, it becomes bland for me.

SFV is looking to be the perfect 3D representation of the series, and it's the prettiest looking fighter to me, with SSB4 and Xrd in competition.

SSB4 Marth is prettiest fighting game character of all time though.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm rewatching The Wolf of Wall Street currently.

Damn, Jonah Hill played the paranoid Long Island dude down to a fucking T.

I've had that on my watch list but never got around to it. I really should but finding 3 hours to kill is hard.

I'm watching through The Flash and it is really great. The CGI is fantastic for a TV show.

Top Bottom