• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

So we might be seeing a resurgence in japan at least
You should add that question in the media create thread. There are lot's of users there with vast knowledge of the Japanse market.

Question:

Any early or leaked reviews? If so, how it fares against Galaxy? That's the only measure stick im interested in, not some arbitrary stupid score XD

eXistor

Is anybody considering getting the Prima guide in the OP? I am thinking about it for the calendar and artwork, but am wondering whether or not I'm crazy.
I don't generally get guides anymore unless it's for a special game. I'm getting the guide.

What about the important part of my post Mr. D e f:
Any early or leaked reviews? If so, how it fares against Galaxy? That's the only measure stick im interested in, not some arbitrary stupid score XD

XD
I like how IGN is treated like crap until they give a glowing review of a game everyone wants.
Applys to any site really, not just IGN. Is just the fanatic mind process at work.

In reality at this stage any site that asigns an alpha numeric value to a review should not be taken seriously. From my perspectie at least.

Gsnap

From what I've seen, it seems people are saying that it might be slightly less interesting than galaxy because of ambition or other metrics like that. But that the level design and creativity and fun are basically equal to galaxy.

ibt116BKxQ3qBr.gif

Someone asked to make a gif of this so here it is. Was originally so much better but the size was enormous. I'm sure someone else can top it off.

On topic, glad to hear this game has got that post game content, was rather worried but after seeing that ONM review, my fears have been removed.

LOL dat GIF is amazing!

I just remembered that i have to send in my Wii U Gamepad for repairs. The ZR button doesn't work properly. The only way it registers is if I press it hard. I should have sent it sooner. As far as I know, Mario 3D World requires the player one to use it. And I don't even know how long it will take Nintendo to repair it. I have to send it in as soon as possible before my warranty expires. lol (bought Wii U at launch)

The other problem I have with my Gamepad is the analog sticks. When I use them, they sort of go in a different direction (for example, I'm holding left on the right stick and it will slowly go upwards and things like that.) That doesn't happen with other controllers. Not sure why it's like that but it's distracting and haven't heard anyone have the same problem. I tried recalibrating the sticks too but nothing happened.

I wish I had sent it sooner! I don't think I'll be able to play Mario 3D World this friday.

m0t0k1

The only thing that would make this game even better is unlockable yoshi character. They have ported over
Rosalina with galaxy controls
so might as wel do yoshi.

Berordn

The only thing that would make this game even better is unlockable yoshi character. They have ported over
Rosalina with galaxy controls
so might as wel do yoshi.

It's not "ported," it's just inspired by. This game never uses the pointer either.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Sort of considering getting a pro controller for this

I just remembered that i have to send in my Wii U Gamepad for repairs. The ZR button doesn't work properly. The only way it registers is if I press it hard. I should have sent it sooner. As far as I know, Mario 3D World requires the player one to use it. And I don't even know how long it will take Nintendo to repair it. I have to send it in as soon as possible before my warranty expires. lol (bought Wii U at launch)

The other problem I have with my Gamepad is the analog sticks. When I use them, they sort of go in a different direction (for example, I'm holding left on the right stick and it will slowly go upwards and things like that.) That doesn't happen with other controllers. Not sure why it's like that but it's distracting and haven't heard anyone have the same problem. I tried recalibrating the sticks too but nothing happened.

I wish I had sent it sooner! I don't think I'll be able to play Mario 3D World this friday.

You can just use a wiiremote or a Wii U pro controller to play the game I think. You should be able to boot into the game using a wiimote + sensor bar.

You only need the gamepad for levels that require it. Its been said that its a small portion of levels that require it.

So at the least, you can play until you need the gamepad for a level that needs to be beaten to advance.

Anyone know if the Stone Leaf/Statue Tanooki is available later in the game like it was after beating 3DLand?

Game looks incredible, it's like everything great from SMB2 and 3 but in 3D. This + LBW next Friday will be keeping me busy for months.

D-e-f-

Banned
Anyone know if the Stone Leaf/Statue Tanooki is available later in the game like it was after beating 3DLand?

Game looks incredible, it's like everything great from SMB2 and 3 but in 3D. This + LBW next Friday will be keeping me busy for months.

The cat suit has the option to turn into a statue. Enemies that run into you will die on contact with this one though. I doubt the Stone Leaf is in the game as the Tanooki Leaf is a secondary power up in this game and the statue function is fulfilled by the cat suit.

The cat suit has the option to turn into a statue. Enemies that run into you will die on contact with this one though. I doubt the Stone Leaf is in the game as the Tanooki Leaf is a secondary power up in this game and the statue function is fulfilled by the cat suit.

Interesting, thanks.

D-e-f-

Banned
Interesting, thanks.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/video...&title=true&iframe=true&width=640&height=360&

video of it

Hayashida
Yeah. In the end, we even came up with a Maneki-Neko Mario.

Iwata
You mean like the maneki-neko7 figures?

7. Maneki-neko: Literally translates to "beckoning cat", it is also known as "lucky cat" or "dollar cat" in English. A maneki-neko is a common Japanese figurine typically displayed in storefronts and is said to bring good fortune and wealth to the business. Typically white with red accents, a maneki-neko usually has one arm raised up and out as if it is beckoning customers to come in.

Motokura
Yes. As a transformation, it forms a pair with Statue Mario8. When you turn into Cat Mario under a certain condition, he can make bonus coins appear with Ground Pounds.

8. Statue Mario: This transformation has appeared in past titles like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario 3D Land. The power-up stops enemies from noticing Mario, doesn't take damage, and makes it possible for him to stomp on enemies that he usually can't.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/super-mario-3d-world/0/1

maxcriden

Which controller will be people be using with this game? Gamepad? Wiimote/Nunchuck?

Really depends how the game feels once I play it. I loved using the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo in the Galaxy games. I'm kind of a purist though in the sense that I like to use the controller designed for the system, and used the Gamepad for NSMBU. I did use the Wiimote/Nunchuk for Pikmin 3, though, because it just works so smoothly and precisely for it. So I could go Gamepad or W/N depending how it feels.

D-e-f-

Banned
Which controller will be people be using with this game? Gamepad? Wiimote/Nunchuck?

I see no reason not to use the GamePad as you'd lose functionality with all other options. Not entirely confident you can even play with something else in singleplayer.

zroid

Banned
Probably use GamePad for the majority, but I might give Wiimote/Nunchuk a go for a while. I've always enjoyed playing games with your two hands being untethered (well, relatively). It's very comfortable.

spekkeh

Banned
ibt116BKxQ3qBr.gif

Someone asked to make a gif of this so here it is. Was originally so much better but the size was enormous. I'm sure someone else can top it off.

On topic, glad to hear this game has got that post game content, was rather worried but after seeing that ONM review, my fears have been removed.

10/10

maxcriden

Probably use GamePad for the majority, but I might give Wiimote/Nunchuk a go for a while. I've always enjoyed playing games with your two hands being untethered (well, relatively). It's very comfortable.

Agreed! In my mind it was one of the biggest advances of the Wii "complete" controller of the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo. It's incredibly comfortable to have your hands relatively untethered as you said, and to be able to keep them further apart when playing a console game.

Top Bottom