• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Fabrik

Banned
I haven't touched my Wii U all year, thought about selling it many times but game looks amazing

Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 man!

379ch.gif

maxcriden

Is there any word on what time the 3DW embargo lifts tomorrow?

If LBW is any indication 12 PM - 1 PMish is a decent guess. I think I remember a recent 9 AM embargo though. Sorry, I don't have a more specific idea. I would be very surprised if it's after 1 PM, though. (I'm using EST for all above times.)

If LBW is any indication 12 PM - 1 PMish is a decent guess. I think I remember a recent 9 AM embargo though. Sorry, I don't have a more specific idea. I would be very surprised if it's after 1 PM, though. (I'm using EST for all above times.)

Ok cool. Not that I'm worried, I'm just exited to read what others who have had the pleasure of playing it think.

Richie

The game is currently #18 at US' Amazon. Unless my memory fails me, that's the highest anything Wii U related has been during all of 2013
(I think the Wii Fit U Meter got pretty close, though).
Encouraging news!

For anyone who recently pre-ordered through Amazon, I finally got an update on when to expect my copy - and it was next Tuesday.

Talked with customer service to see if there was anyway to ensure it would be in my hands Friday, and the best they could do was bump it up to one-day shipping.

So that order's cancelled and now I have a pre-order at Best Buy, which says I can pick it up on Friday. Hope that's the case!

maxcriden

Pre-orders might (hopefully) pick up tomorrow as (hopefully) overwhelmingly positive reviews start coming in.

Unfortunately, I think all the reviews will reveal is that the game was clearly originally intended for release on 3DS after all. Up-port confirmed.

maxcriden

For anyone who recently pre-ordered through Amazon, I finally got an update on when to expect my copy - and it was next Tuesday.

Talked with customer service to see if there was anyway to ensure it would be in my hands Friday, and the best they could do was bump it up to one-day shipping.

So that order's cancelled and now I have a pre-order at Best Buy, which says I can pick it up on Friday. Hope that's the case!

Wise move. As MasterBalls said in the Zelda thread (I think), Amazon is really not great for release day delivery these days. Just don't forget Friday is XBox One day so Best Buy might be a bit busy.

Mr. Helios

Neo Member
So I pre-ordered on Amazon (with Prime) and they are saying delivery estimate is Nov 20th - 26th. Do they not guarantee release day for games? If not, then I'm just gonna cancel and get it from any store.

Yuterald

Treating myself to a pizza and wings with my brother this Friday and I'm forcing him to co-op this game with me. So excited! Nothing's better than good Nintendo holiday fun. Got a light work week next week too at the office so some fun times should be approaching. Just got to get through this work week, ugh.

Wise move. As MasterBalls said in the Zelda thread (I think), Amazon is really not great for release day delivery these days. Just don't forget Friday is XBox One day so Best Buy might be a bit busy.

Yeah, I'll just go early in the day. Hopefully with a plethora of BBs near me (like 4 to 5), those crowds will be a little spread out.

maxcriden

Treating myself to a pizza and wings with my brother this Friday and I'm forcing him to co-op this game with me. So excited! Nothing's better than good Nintendo holiday fun. Got a light work week next week too at the office so some fun times should be approaching. Just got to get through this work week, ugh.

Sweet! I'm taking off Friday to game for this and Zelda. My wife will be out of class pretty early on so my plan is to pop over to Gamestop when she's in class, play some Zelda till she's done, and then we can go home and play Mario. I told the guy at Gamestop I was taking off that day. He said he bet I won't tell my employer. I said sure I will. He said he was surprised because as far as he knew the only employer who would let you take off to game would be his own. I don't know about y'all, but in my experience you can use your annual leave for whatever you like.

My hype for purchasing a console is usually low key, but spending enough time on Gaf, and in this and the "I bought a Wii U" thread lately has just driven my hype meter to a whole other level. Replying to craigslist Wii U ads like gangbusters (that are a few days old lol). Hoping to snag me a good deal, but another part of my has that buyer's paranoia that some asshole is gonna give me a dud, and obv craigslist doesn't have the kind of reporting infrastructure in place like ebay does, cause yeah it's in person and with cash typically. Anyone else have good/bad experiences using CL for larger purchases like console hardware? How was your experience?

maxcriden

My hype for purchasing a console is usually low key, but spending enough time on Gaf, and in this and the "I bought a Wii U" thread lately has just driven my hype meter to a whole other level. Replying to craigslist Wii U ads like gangbusters (that are a few days old lol). Hoping to snag me a good deal, but another part of my has that buyer's paranoia that some asshole is gonna give me a dud, and obv craigslist doesn't have the kind of reporting infrastructure in place like ebay does, cause yeah it's in person and with cash typically. Anyone else have good/bad experiences using CL for larger purchases like console hardware? How was your experience?

I've had pretty good luck with CL in general. I don't think I've ever purchased a console on there, but as with any site like this, you just have to be careful about scams, and where you plan to meet. I think for an expensive purchase like this it would be wise to meet in a public place like a well-lit fast food restaurant. I would keep your eyes peeled for any red flags and if you notice any I would immediately cancel the purchase. You might also want a written guarantee that the product works, if you can get one.

I've had pretty good luck with CL in general. I don't think I've ever purchased a console on there, but as with any site like this, you just have to be careful about scams, and where you plan to meet. I think for an expensive purchase like this it would be wise to meet in a public place like a well-lit fast food restaurant. I would keep your eyes peeled for any red flags and if you notice any I would immediately cancel the purchase. You might also want a written guarantee that the product works, if you can get one.

Written guarantee sounds like a good idea. What sort of red flags were you thinking of to watch out for? I want to take the risk for the opportunity to get a sweet deal, but also wary not being able to take advantage of a warranty. Quite conflicted atm.

maxcriden

What crack you smoking?

None! If you look closely you can see they reused the same assets. In some cases they even reused mechanics going as far back as SMB2/3, like picking up items and throwing them. All they had to do was reuse that code, it's pretty easy if you know how to code.

None! If you look closely you can see they reused the same assets. In some cases they even reused mechanics going as far back as SMB2/3, like picking up items and throwing them. All they had to do was reuse that code, it's pretty easy if you know how to code.

i mean look at the character portraits... they are reusing decades old art

EDIT: whoops double post

maxcriden

Written guarantee sounds like a good idea. What sort of red flags were you thinking of to watch out for? I want to take the risk for the opportunity to get a sweet deal, but also wary not being able to take advantage of a warranty. Quite conflicted atm.

I would just be careful how you word the request for a written guarantee. If you're tactful and they're reasonable it shouldn't be an issue. Further, is it certain you would not be eligible for warranty? Club Nintendo registrations for them are not eligible for warranty extensions unfortunately. I would think whether or not the system is still covered would likely depend on when it was purchased. Regarding red flags, just use common sense, I guess--if someone sounds real and legit, hopefully they are. These things are always a price vs. risk gamble to some degree. Further, I just want to reiterate the importance of meeting in a public, well-lit and well-populated place--if you look at the OT board someone just got shot and killed buying a PS4 through CL. So you want to be careful. Plus, one more thing I should mention. I bought a Wii U at MSRP at Gamestop in July. The first one I bought was a lemon and would not work. They let me return it and exchange it for a new system (Nintendo was going to let me send it to them for repair or I guess replacement if need be). So there are lemons out there. So just one more thing to be careful of, and another reason why at least some degree of warranty is a good thing. FWIW I bought my Wii on eBay in February 2008 and it still works to this day.

Draconian

I'm not looking forward to the trip to Gamestop when I get off of work. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Yuterald

Sweet! I'm taking off Friday to game for this and Zelda. My wife will be out of class pretty early on so my plan is to pop over to Gamestop when she's in class, play some Zelda till she's done, and then we can go home and play Mario. I told the guy at Gamestop I was taking off that day. He said he bet I won't tell my employer. I said sure I will. He said he was surprised because as far as he knew the only employer who would let you take off to game would be his own. I don't know about y'all, but in my experience you can use your annual leave for whatever you like.

Yeah, depends on the place. I report financial statements year round (I work in the hedge fund industry) and you're pretty much allowed to take time off for whatever/whenever unless it's during our busy season period (which is from mid January to April). I took a week and a half off this past summer for Pikmin 3, Dragon's Crown, and Tales of Xillia (lol) so I've definitely done my share of planned gaming days. I'm also picking up Zelda on 3DS and Tearaway for Vita. Pretty pumped for all three games, hah! Days like that always hit the spot. Enjoy yourself!

DrWong

Pre-orders might (hopefully) pick up tomorrow as (hopefully) overwhelmingly positive reviews start coming in.

It's number 2 in the amazon pre-orders chart and was 1 yesterday. ALBW is number 1.

According to a poster from another forum who transcripted it, the French magazine CanardPC, a bimonthly printed magazine dedicated to PC gaming and which also comes with a console booklet (a really good independant magazine with a strong following) gave it a 9, saying it was "probably one of the best Mario", a "true clever best of", "beautiful, funny, smart, carved with a micrometer, it is everything a Mario should be today."

The magazine was received today by its suscribers and should only be in kiosk this wednesday.

For reference, they gave a 7/10 to Pikmin 3.

Davey Cakes

Tomorrow will be interesting with the embargo lifting.

I'm thinking overall the scores will be in line with NSMBU or maybe 3D Land, but not the Galaxies. So, not Metacritic Top 3 but still good. There's only so much Mario can do to impress.

No way this game will do as well with the press as Zelda: ALBW. The reason is because Mario is coming off a slew of strong titles, where ALBW, as a handheld Zelda, is coming off some of the weakest games in that series.

Draconian

Tomorrow will be interesting with the embargo lifting.

I'm thinking overall the scores will be in line with NSMBU or maybe 3D Land, but not the Galaxies. So, not Metacritic Top 3 but still good. There's only so much Mario can do to impress.

They're going to be higher than NSMBU because the 2D Mario's have more franchise fatigue.

UNCMark

Banned
Sorry if the answer requires a spoiler, but has it been revealed yet if there's basically another full game to be played after you beat it once (like on the 3DS title)?

Necrovex

I picked up Xenosaga episode I before I got a PS2. That and SH2 were what sold me on the system.

Another Xenosaga fan!

If another retailer decides to do a buy two get one free deal, I'll be buying a Wii U along with Wonderful 101, Mario 3D World, and Pikmin 3. That's my tipping point, and I hope TRU continues with that tradition!

Why are people freaking out about Amazon? It still says "want to receive this the day it releases? Order with two day shipping" which is what Prime is.

The only thing that worries me is Zelda ALBW doesn't say that. Maybe I'll just download it.

Top Bottom