• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

D-e-f-

Banned
It's not really 8-way movement (except I think on the world map). There's more diagonals in there. Not full-analog, but it's not really affecting the gameplay noticeably. The main difference in controls is that there's two speeds of dashing, and the fastest one doesn't kick in immediately.

Same as 3D Land. That also wasn't 8-way movement.

It's not really 8-way movement (except I think on the world map). There's more diagonals in there. Not full-analog, but it's not really affecting the gameplay noticeably. The main difference in controls is that there's two speeds of dashing, and the fastest one doesn't kick in immediately.

iirc, turning, in mid air, feels like its full analog.

So it mixes a nice balance of being able to aim your jump, with the lock in direction to traverse across platforms.

QaaQer

Today has got to be one of the most memorable days ever with regards to games released!!! I'm waiting for my copies of SM3DW for my Wii U, Link Between Worlds and Mario Party: Island Tour for my 3DS, and Tearaway for my Vita to be delivered by UPS. HURRY UP!!!

EXCITED ! ! !

excited_face_meme.jpg

So happy.

Neiteio

Is it too soon to call this GOTY? GTA5, you had a nice run. Loving this game so much.
My personal Game of the Year will be an eight-way tie between Super Mario 3D World, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, The Wonderful 101, Metal Gear Rising, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Pokémon XY, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Ranking games is a fool's errand in a year as great as 2013.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
tumblr_mwol7ebZEg1rz64y6o1_1280.jpg

Am I dumb or is the last sticker in world 1 really well hidden?

IIRC, you need to kick some soccer bombs shot by nearby cannons at a small wall of grey super bricks block a small housing.

Same kind of grey super bricks you needed to smash through with Mega Mario in 1-1 to get the lady green star.

You'll smack yourself when you get it.

Neiteio

That Orange sea serpent, at 60 fps, is one of the most visual appealing thing ive ever seen in a video game.
You mean Plessie? That dino looks good enough to eat! I also love how they lifted the Dorrie sound effects from SM64 and remixed that game's Slide theme, as well.

I played the first Plessie level in both single-player and multiplayer, and it's interesting how they change the handling between the two modes. In single-player, Plessie is extremely responsive, but in multiplayer he requires a lot more effort to move since the game wants everyone to coordinate their movements. Makes for some hilarious situations where you're all like, "EVERYONE, HOLD BACK" as you're skirting the edge of a waterfall trying to grab a stamp.

Dukey

Banned
My personal Game of the Year will be an eight-way tie between Super Mario 3D World, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, The Wonderful 101, Metal Gear Rising, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Pokémon XY, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

It's easy for me as there haven't been that many great games this year. The standouts for me have been GTA5, Mario 3D, and Fire Emblem.

For me, it looks like it'll be either Pikmin 3 or 3D World.

Makes me look a bit like a Nintendo fangirl >.< Maybe I'll play TLoU in December.

Neiteio

For me, it looks like it'll be either Pikmin 3 or 3D World.

Makes me look a bit like a Nintendo fangirl >.< Maybe I'll play TLoU in December.
Don't let the "it's a movie" silliness dissuade you -- TLOU is a legitimately great GAME. :)

It's one of many great games in what has been an incredible year. And Pikmin 3 is indeed incredible -- I don't know how it slipped my mind.

I guess my GOTY is a NINE-WAY tie. Ranking is for suckers! :p

Dukey

Banned
Don't let the "it's a movie" silliness dissuade you -- TLOU is a legitimately great GAME. :)

It's one of many great games in what has been an incredible year. And Pikmin 3 is indeed incredible -- I don't know how it slipped my mind.

I guess my GOTY is a NINE-WAY tie. Ranking is for suckers! :p

I thought TLOU was a fine experience, but not one I ever want to have again, and thus will never be my GOTY.

Neiteio

Jaded Alyx said:
Man, I just want to take a moment to say how much I love Bowser's design. He's been my favorite Mario character since SM64. The spiny shell, the spiked cuffs, the citrus color scheme... How he's so fierce but adorable at the same time... I love him so much I have a plush of him up on a shelf, from an online buddy at NOA, a plush my dog wants to eat and that I will protect dearly because I insist Bowser is just misunderstood!

kunonabi

W101 is GOTY of the year so it all comes down to whether or not SM3DW or ALBW can top it.

It's going to be an awesome end to the year regardless.

Hope the game isn't too short. Was a little taken aback that the first world only had six levels. They were all great levels and probably the best world 1 in a long time but that had me a little sad.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Canada Post tracking says this and LBW have been delivered to me. I want to leave work right now just to open my fucking mailbox. But even tonight, I'm going out for dinner and to see Hunger Games.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

jmls1121

Banned
It's easy for me as there haven't been that many great games this year. The standouts for me have been GTA5, Mario 3D, and Fire Emblem.

do you not own a 3DS or something?

2013 is shaping up to be one of the greatest gaming years of all time.

Hope the game isn't too short. Was a little taken aback that the first world only had six levels. They were all great levels and probably the best world 1 in a long time but that had me a little sad.

I'm a tad worried about the length too, but I'm going to go back to levels to 100% them which I assume will add hours to my playtime, and, well, quality > quantity.

Terrell

I 5-starred NSMBU and NSLU just in time for this game's launch. Nice.
Too bad I'm going on a weekend holiday and won't be able to play it til next week. :(

do you not own a 3DS or something?

2013 is shaping up to be one of the greatest gaming years of all time.

I've been itching to pick up a 3DS ever since Pokemon came out, but then I remind myself that, for whatever reason, I never manage to finish handheld or arcade games, so I always end up deciding not to purchase one.

Hello.

Banned
It's odd to me that many people have problems at GameStop. I've never had a problem with them. I guess mine is just competent.

tkscz

wait, how do you do that?

You don't know how to upload screen shots directly to the browser?

Press the home button during the moment you want to take the shot.

Go to the web browser.

Go to any website you upload images to (I choose imgur)

Tap on upload and the Gamepad will ask to choose the TV image or gamepad image, choose which ever you want.

Tap upload and you're done.

sniperpon

Played for a couple of hours today. The game is absolutely incredible-- I like it more than Galaxy so far (no, I'm not kidding-- and I loved Galaxy). It's like 3d Land taken to the next level. Really digging the Miiverse integration as well.

Neiteio

You don't know how to upload screen shots directly to the browser?

Press the home button during the moment you want to take the shot.

Go to the web browser.

Go to any website you upload images to (I choose imgur)

Tap on upload and the Gamepad will ask to choose the TV image or gamepad image, choose which ever you want.

Tap upload and you're done.
:-O

I did not know about this feature...

This game is amazing so far, multiple characters rock, level design is great 'nuff said.

****Quick question: If the Golden Tanooki block appears in any of the levels, does my save file get penalized right away or is that just if I actually use it? Cuz I already have one and I tried to exit out of my file to get rid of it but the autosave kept it in. :/ ****

Anyways, what on earth is going on with Best Buy and GameStop today? I preordered both 3DW and LBW at Best Buy (first time doing a pre-order with them) and was promised I'd have them both today. I'm absolutely fed up and 100% done with GameStop for good now. Last straw with those idiots was both GS stores here not knowing or having a single clue about the Wind Waker Ganon bonus set and then trying to sell me a used copy of the game as usual.

So a few hours ago I go to Best Buy to pick up my games at the preorder desk, lady quickly looks at my pre-order receipt, says I'm good to go and goes to get my games. Taking forever, they're not behind the pre-order desk area anywhere. She literally has to call some kid to go all the way back to the retail shelves just to pick out my games which should already have been sitting behind the counter waiting for me. So we're sitting there literally for at least ten minutes waiting for the kid to come back.

At this point it's dragging on and I'm tired of making friendly chit chat while we wait so I tell her it's not a huge deal but unfortunately I have to leave soon so I'm just going to go pick up my games off the shelf myself (since he can't find them apparently). I go back to the Nintendo section and 3DW and LBW aren't even stocked on the game shelves anywhere! Really? Two of the most AAA first party games not stocked on their launch day as if they were just random niche titles. Just the LBW XL bundle was out. At this point I'm thinking they don't even have the games in at all yet, so out of desperation I called GameStop. "Just curious if you guys have Mario 3D World and the new Zelda in?" Dude rep; "Uh no, sorry, we don't have that shipment yet, you might wanna try again later today." Wow.

So I walk back to the pre-order counter and by this time they'd finally found my games sitting in one of the stock rooms in back, so I was finally good to go. The lady was very friendly and apologetic and I know customer service bites so of course I just thanked her, told her no problem and just brushed it off.

What worries me though is people not being able to buy both these games right away in such key locations on such an urgent sales day. And the Wii U demo station there has been broken for at least 6-7months, a rep told me they've been calling NOA for months asking to send a repair tech to fix it with no results so there's blame to go around.

My takeaway after this is that Nintendo REALLY needs to get off their butts, get their head in the game with retailers and start cracking some skulls and making some phone calls. Out of curiosity I walked back to the game section after to check out some of the PS4 and XB1 stuff really quick before I left and I saw a rep starting to stock some copies of 3DW and LBW, so apparently my incident at the customer service desk was the one thing that alerted them to the fact that "Oh, hey that's right, we have a new Mario and Zelda game to sell today!" And this is at 12:30pm in the afternoon so who knows how long it would have taken otherwise.

batbeg

I swear I'm done spamming my pics one more for the day

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01jtivk.jpg

I love walking on the clear pipes, though it's led to many a death. Speaking of deaths I don't know if it's just my playstyle but I have died a whole lot.

Top Bottom