• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

This game just has me constantly giggling.
I just finished the shadow stage where you see a toad afraid of Boswer's shadow. I walked forward and knocked over the the cardboard cut-out.

*giggles*

zroid

Banned
It's just like NSMBU, after a certain amount of time my eyes always drift down and before I know it I'm looking at the GamePad screen instead of the TV. :V

Linkhero1

I feel like I'm the only one who prefers to play on the TV D:

Can't stand the game pad screen. The only game I've ever used it 100% was Little Inferno, only because I was forced to use the touch screen.

Timeaisis

Can't stand the game pad screen. The only game I've ever used it 100% was Little Inferno, only because I was forced to use the touch screen.

I prefer the TV immensely. Don't get me wrong, I love the GamePad screen for when I want to play off-tv. But, this game is so beautiful on my TV.

plank

can someone cosplay Peach and
secret character
in powerups and items I think it would be awesome thanks.

Also is it true that this game was rushed? If so think of what it would be like if they had spent more time on it. :O I remember Galaxy being delayed one more year because it wasn't quite finished.

Cant wait to get home after work to play. I think I'm just gonna casually play through it and not worry about stars and secrets. Will save the second playthrough to do all the challenging stuff.

Linkhero1

I prefer the TV immensely. Don't get me wrong, I love the GamePad screen for when I want to play off-tv. But, this game is so beautiful on my TV.

Thing is, I feel this way about every game I've played on the Wii U. It looks more vibrant and beautiful on the TV compared to the GamePad.

TV here.

Found a baseball on one of the levels. Picked it up, started hitting enemies with it. As I said, constantly giggling. This game is too cute.

can someone cosplay Peach and
secret character
in powerups and items I think it would be awesome thanks.

Also is it true that this game was rushed? If so think of what it would be like if they had spent more time on it. :O I remember Galaxy being delayed one more year because it wasn't quite finished.

I think the only people who have said it was rushed are the usual suspects spreading FUD. Mario 3D Land, that was rushed. This game seems like it has had over two years.

I just went to Best Buy just to check out what was going on with the Xbone and Mario and Zelda. They had a huge stack of those fake Xbone boxes and multiple people were walking up to them, then getting pissed off. So stupid of Best Buy to do that like that. It looked perfectly like they had it in stock.

I then asked about Mario. The guy working games had NO clue what I was talking about. He handed me multiple other games, like the guy that previously mentioned someone in GameStop did. They didn't have a tag out for it, no display, nothing. He said he had never heard of it before, that they didn't get it, and that they wouldn't be carrying it.

Same story with Zelda. No clue, tried to hand me multiple games, including Wind Waker, and he said the same crap about it. Also, same with no tag, no display, nothing at all.

I had him look up both in the system and yeah, they had like 30 copies of Zelda and 20 copies of Mario. He was just oh, ok, that's news to me. He said it was his department and it's his job to take care of everything back there and that he was going to get around to sorting everything out and he guessed put those two new games out at some point today. I felt like telling him to get off his lazy fat ass and get to work. Best Buy has the biggest morons working for them, it's ridiculous. Every time I go there, every time, I deal with pure idiocy. Don't get me started on my experience after that, but that's for another thread.
but that probably also tells you something about general sales. i fear mario will get outsold by stuff like knack or ryse.

Timeaisis

but that probably also tells you something about general sales. i fear mario will get outsold by stuff like knack or ryse.

Ryse maybe, Knack has no chance other than being a launch title. Bad reviews + poorly considered demographics = bad sales, no way about it. Ryse is getting awful reviews but it's pretty, and made specifically for xbros.

bndadm

This game just has me constantly giggling.
I just finished the shadow stage where you see a toad afraid of Boswer's shadow. I walked forward and knocked over the the cardboard cut-out.

*giggles*

I was smiling ear to ear when I experienced that. Also, an amazing moment in 2-3, I think, with
the puff plant mountain and you're tapping the platforms to scale the mountain. Had to balance the wall tapping on the tablet with blowing to get the platform for the green star. Such a great challenge that made me feel awesome when I accomplished it.

This game just GIVES.

Thing is, I feel this way about every game I've played on the Wii U. It looks more vibrant and beautiful on the TV compared to the GamePad.

Hell no, only way I feel like a kid again with my Wii U is playing in bed, with like ten pillows setup properly and under the covers!!

Lijik

I've only had my Wii U for like two days so far, but TV has quickly become my preference as well for the same reason.

Dukey

Banned
I've only had my Wii U for like two days so far, but TV has quickly become my preference as well for the same reason.

Had mine since Tuesday. I hate the gamepad. Games look washed out on it. Wish there was an option to buy a cheaper Wii U without the Gamepad. Mario 3D world looks glorious on my 55 inch HDTV though. Plays amazingly well too.

Ryse maybe, Knack has no chance other than being a launch title. Bad reviews + poorly considered demographics = bad sales, no way about it. Ryse is getting awful reviews but it's pretty, and made specifically for xbros.

still would be bad. mario was considered as a last resort deal to kickstart wiiu sales. despite reviews it looks like nobody really cares.

Hermii

So you guys who have the game. Is there only 8 way movement? And is this an issue? How does it control compared to galaxy?

Dukey

Banned

Sales of Knack and Ryse are going to be inflated because they're launch titles and there's nothing really of value to be bought. The success of those games is determined by the success of the consoles they're on, and Mario's failure to sell huge numbers at launch speaks directly to Nintendo ineptitude at selling the Wii U to the masses.

I just moved into a new apartment with two roommates. I am so so so sorely tempted to buy a Wii U and get this and NSMBU so the three of us have something to play. It sounds amazing.

Timeaisis

still would be bad. mario was considered as a last resort deal to kickstart wiiu sales. despite reviews it looks like nobody really cares.

Well, people are stupid. Great games come and go everyday and no one bats an eye. Just enjoy it for what it is...a freaking great game.

Sales of Knack and Ryse are going to be inflated because they're launch titles and there's nothing really of value to be bought. The success of those games is determined by the success of the consoles they're on, and Mario's failure to sell huge numbers at launch speaks directly to Nintendo ineptitude at selling the Wii U to the masses.

yup. its kind of amazing really how much they botched it. you cant expect people to care after 2 years of almost no major games on wii and a 6 month post launch drought on wiiu.

its sad as finally since pikmin 3 nintendos output has improved but its just way too late.

There is a disturbing lack of screenshots in this thread, come on people!
These are mine:
xLdlTcZ.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01bela3.jpg

I'll try to take more from here on out.

rpmurphy

So you guys who have the game. Is there only 8 way movement? And is this an issue? How does it control compared to galaxy?
It's not really 8-way movement (except I think on the world map). There's more diagonals in there. Not full-analog, but it's not really affecting the gameplay noticeably. The main difference in controls is that there's two speeds of dashing, and the fastest one doesn't kick in immediately.

Timeaisis

Obviously, the game is not captivating enough to keep you away from posting on a gaming forum.

Yes, I live in Europe... *sigh*.

You're just bitter, methinks. :p

I'm posting on this forum because I'm at work and I wish I was playing SM3DW right now instead.

rpmurphy

Holy cow, I can't believe it took me several runs of 1-1 to find that last green star. -____-

And oh my goodness, the slot machine room music... I guess there'll be lots of homage to SMUSA in this game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy cow, I can't believe it took me several runs of 1-1 to find that last green star. -____-

And oh my goodness, the slot machine room music... I guess there'll be lots of homage to SMUSA in this game.

I cleared the rest of world 1 in one run per stage (except for Plessie's, I think), but 1-1 took me a second attempt. Loved that hiding star!

batbeg

My apologies for the Miiverse screens, I haven't saved any through the browser as of yet (it always seems to stall out on me):

zlCfzRMsHmYrVI3hxu

zlCfzRMsWeMWmorrlW

zlCfzRMr2vgmumvi19

There's definitely an awesome picture to be had in that last location, I just didn't get it.

Top Bottom