• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

zroid

Banned
ibzNdgCeLh19Cw.jpg

A question for you lucky guys who get to play this game now (I'm from the EU, but I have to wait until Christmas anyway!:( )... how well does it control with the pro controller? I bought 4 of them for Smash/MK, but this seems like a game where it might work well.

ArynCrinn

Banned
On World 5 myself atm, and yeah, GOTY for me unless the game falls on it's face at the end. Which I doubt, I only expect it to get better and better, especially the challenge.

My only gripe, as with the news about Tropical Freezes's "difficulty" modes, is the game is still far too easy in the first half. And I think it degrades a lot of the risk of exploration as well as the gratification of a great score. Another HUGE gripe is no Global/Friends leaderboards, which honestly for any platformer of this type should be a given by now, but then again so should achievements. And...achievements would have been fun as hell and probably creative as hell to get in this game. Get on that Nintendo!

OST is different in tone and overall energy and vibe than SMG, not lesser or greater, just different. I'd probably prefer Galaxy's OST, but this was honestly one of my big concerns and I'm happy to say it's pretty much is the same quality and creativity as the Galaxy/s scores. One of the things that really surprised me (in a good AND bad way) is they didn't really play with too many Galaxy themes here, which I thought was a given. Good in the sense that they made a equal game not confined to going backwards and making those nods, bad in the sense that I think with the amount of creativity and design here could have really gelled well with a level or two (or even World) that played with Galaxy-like features. Would have sort of extended the game at least.

maxcriden

On World 5 myself atm, and yeah, GOTY for me unless the game falls on it's face at the end. Which I doubt, I only expect it to get better and better, especially the challenge.

My only gripe, as with the news about Tropical Freezes's "difficulty" modes, is the game is still far too easy in the first half. And I think it degrades a lot of the risk of exploration as well as the gratification of a great score. Another HUGE gripe is no Global/Friends leaderboards, which honestly for any platformer of this type should be a given by now, but then again so should achievements. And...achievements would have been fun as hell and probably creative as hell to get in this game. Get on that Nintendo!

FWIW, I wouldn't worry about TF's difficulty modes. They were there in DKCR3D and they were totally unobtrusive if you wanted the original level of difficulty presented in DKCR.

This game looks really good! I skipped out on the Wii and wasn't planning on getting a Wii U (well - Bayo probably would have pushed me over the edge), but the gameplay for this looks really solid and some local competitive co-op is very desirable. Having just bought the PS4, I will probably have to wait until closer to Christmas before I can grab another system, but I am definitely feeling the need at this point.

Question (off topic): Once I have the Wii U in my house, I would like to explore the back catalog of Wii games but my current entertainment set up has all of my consoles behind me. Are there any wireless sensor bars that work well and are well recommended? Thanks.

This game looks really good! I skipped out on the Wii and wasn't planning on getting a Wii U (well - Bayo probably would have pushed me over the edge), but the gameplay for this looks really solid and some local competitive co-op is very desirable. Having just bought the PS4, I will probably have to wait until closer to Christmas before I can grab another system, but I am definitely feeling the need at this point.

Question (off topic): Once I have the Wii U in my house, I would like to explore the back catalog of Wii games but my current entertainment set up has all of my consoles behind me. Are there any wireless sensor bars that work well and are well recommended? Thanks.

There are plenty. All the sensor bar is are two lights since the Wiimote does the real sensing/positioning meaning its hard to fuck up. If you want to go really old school, you could just use two candles.

ArynCrinn

Banned
FWIW, I wouldn't worry about TF's difficulty modes. They were there in DKCR3D and they were totally unobtrusive if you wanted the original level of difficulty presented in DKCR.

Yeah, the only reason I'm not creating a thread and raving or loading up a shotgun is because I think it will strictly boil down to "hearts". I don't think they'll alter the raw "game" at all whatsoever, they'll just increase your amount of hearts. Or I hope so. But still, it really wasn't necessary, DKCR sold like fucking hotcakes anyway, and I doubt a few difficulty modes setting are going to turn a buck worth anything. So it was a unnecessary inclusion, again, hamfisted by Nintendo for dumb reasons. But if this the the "dumb decision" they make on this game and it ends there (as opposed to dumbass waggle roll) then I can settle for it.

chadboban

The gamepad can be used as a sensor bar.

maxcriden

Yeah, the only reason I'm not creating a thread and raving or loading up a shotgun is because I think it will strictly boil down to "hearts". I don't think they'll alter the raw "game" at all whatsoever, they'll just increase your amount of hearts. Or I hope so. But still, it really wasn't necessary, DKCR sold like fucking hotcakes anyway, and I doubt a few difficulty modes setting are going to turn a buck worth anything. So it was a unnecessary inclusion, again, hamfisted by Nintendo for dumb reasons. But if this the the "dumb decision" they make on this game and it ends there (as opposed to dumbass waggle roll) then I can settle for it.

From what I understand, the only changes they made for DKCR3D came down to the number of hearts you had, and the ability to purchase special assist items. I'm guessing they will do something similar with TF. Like you, I really did not enjoy having to shake the Wiimote to roll, so I'm glad the game will not require that this time. That's a big part of why I much preferred DKCR3D.

Emitan

The graphics may be "last-gen," but Nintendo keeps on wow-ing me with this game.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01xljtr.jpg

Ahhh~ the lighting in that stage is so good. This is one of the only games where I've even had an opinion on something like that. Looks so goooooooood

I am fangirling pretty hard on this game!

Linkhero1

I spent 20 minutes looking for 3-B. I gave up and took the pipe to go to the next world...yeah lol. Felt like an idiot, but 3-B was awesome.

The regular old original white one? It works fine. I was using it last night...

I updated my post to reflect this. *stares deeply at D-e-f-*

TnK

For the people here, is the back light for your gamepads yellow? Mine is quite yellow instead of white, it is really bugging me. Also, screen's quality is like OG 3DS 3D screens, as in really bad =/
If Nintendo releases a new gamepad with a better screen, I am buying that day one.
A question for you lucky guys who get to play this game now (I'm from the EU, but I have to wait until Christmas anyway!:( )... how well does it control with the pro controller? I bought 4 of them for Smash/MK, but this seems like a game where it might work well.
Pro Controller works like a charm. I play my game with that controller.

maxcriden

For the people here, is the back light for your gamepads yellow? Mine is quite yellow instead of white, it is really bugging me. Also, screen's quality is like OG 3DS 3D screens, as in really bad =/
If Nintendo releases a new gamepad with a better screen, I am buying that day one.

Yellow? Has it always been yellow, or did it fade somehow? Strange. I'm pretty certain mine is white. You might want to ask them for a replacement.

TnK

Yellow? Has it always been yellow, or did it fade somehow? Strange. I'm pretty certain mine is white. You might want to ask them for a replacement.

It has been yellow the day I bought it. It is not full yellow, but has a hint of yellow. My friend's screen is full white though. To me, the yellow is REALLY distracting. Plus, I am not in a position to replace it sadly.

Kyzer

Banned
Wow this game is magnificent. Graphics are a little stale though. I have a feeling ill feel similarly about albw, except thatll probably be less stale and more just eh. I just dont feel that crazy mario fondness on this one compared to when galaxy or sunshune came out, probably because of how similar it is to nsmbu, sm3dl, and the fact that we got smg and smg2 last gen. Too saturated on the mushroom kingdom. Very definitive matio multiplayer on this thoygh.

Currently on world three, been playing 2 or 3 person co-op the whole way through.

This game is unreal. I didn't know how they could follow up to galaxy. The best co-op level so far is the panel switch one. It's just a battle to throw people off each switch. So awesome.

TnK

Wow this game is magnificent. Graphics are a little stale though. I have a feeling ill feel similarly about albw, except thatll probably be less stale and more just eh. I just dont feel that crazy mario fondness on this one compared to when galaxy or sunshune came out, probably because of how similar it is to nsmbu, sm3dl, and the fact that we got smg and smg2 last gen. Too saturated on the mushroom kingdom. Very definitive matio multiplayer on this thoygh.

For me, it is the EXACT opposite. This game is graphically the best Mario game I have seen in a very long time. I find it better than Galaxy as well. It feels like an evolved version of SM64.

That being said, I am in the "last world" with two stages left, that includes the boss stage.

Andrew.

Banned

Good thing you still find it magnificent.

Are you implying those graphics are underwhelming because let me tell you... the graphics have wowed me the same level PS4 graphics have done. Not kidding.

Well, yes, if you want to compare them to PS4/XO level stuff on a technical level, which is what I was replying to. But as I said, a good artstyle can more than just make up for it. I run on the train of thought that graphics should serve the mighty Art Style.

I feel the same about 3D World as you do, especially having a PS4 right now. Even though I don't own the game yet, merely looking at videos shows how aesthetically pleasing the game is to look at. The colors, the use of d.o.f., the animation, effects, etc. I've been wowed the same as I have on PS4.

Either way, I trump gameplay over visuals so it would matter not if the game had PS2 level graphics if it's pretty fun.

Berordn

It has been yellow the day I bought it. It is not full yellow, but has a hint of yellow. My friend's screen is full white though. To me, the yellow is REALLY distracting. Plus, I am not in a position to replace it sadly.

That would be an in-warranty replacement if it was like that when you got it.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01bjoru.jpg

6-6 is one of my favorite levels. It makes great use of the cat power-up by incorporating a ton of verticality to its level design. There's more than one way you can go throughout the level, too. Of course, a lot of levels have a lot more veticality than your average Galaxy level, but this one seemed to invite you by saying, "Hey! Climb up here! And here! Ooh, don't forget this spot!"

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

Did you buy a stolen Wii U or something? Nintendo support is usually great, and you should contact them regarding this, as they should replace it for you assuming it's still under warranty...

zroid

Banned
This is one game where I definitely don't want to be playing Off-TV, at least during my first playthrough. Need to experience that "magic" in its full glory.

That said, it's the reason I'm taking a bit longer with the game than I would like. The TV keeps getting commandeered from me. :(

Anyone know if the Luigi Brothers bonus game is a port/modification of the actual Mario Brothers arcade game or is it just running off the NES ROM/assets?

Played multiplayer for the first time last night, it's amazingly tight.

Berordn

Anyone know if the Luigi Brothers bonus game is a port/modification of the actual arcade game or is it running off the NES ROM/assets?

Played multiplayer for the first time last night, it's amazingly tight.

Seems to be a basic rom hack that they put in the Virtual Console wrapper. You can pull up the Virtual Console menu like normal.

Top Bottom