• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Doorman

Stamps!

[stamps]

One of the subtly best aspects of the "Super Mario 3D" series is the way that they've been going back to the early/SMB3-era art style. They did it with the storyline pictures in 3D Land as well and I still love the overall feel.

I can only dream of them eventually making a new 2-D Mario game using hand-drawn animations a la Wario Land Shake It! in this style. Oh how glorious it would be...but when it comes to 2-D Marios we're probably stuck with the NSMB style for a few games longer, at least. Sigh.

Zing

Banned
The game is incredible, I just have one teeny tiny minuscule problem with it...it is the EPITOME of nitpicking, only because nothing else wrong with it (other than the terrible safari pop-in...wtf?)

Anyway, I hate that it autosaves after every level and you have to wait and then press A. It should just be a background thing.

That's it.

That's my only beef....other than the pop-in on the safari level (wtf).

It is annoying. Third party games always auto-save and simply give you the warning not to turn off the power. I guess Nintendo is being overly cautious.

Andrew.

Banned
Nice collection Drew! How are you enjoying the game so far?

Love it. Easily up there in my favs of the year. Its so refreshing to see pretty much 99% of everyone enjoying it so much too. Just goes to show that we dont need all that gun metal cinematic action to satisfy our purest gaming needs all the time.

All you need is some good, fresh Mario.

Zing

Banned
When going for the flag pole does anyone else accidentally press down on ZL, thinking they can do that spinning move from NSMB U, only to ground pound? I've been conditioned to always do this. I always do it in every stage.
Nope!
Only because I never used the gamepad for SMBU.

D-e-f-

Banned
Sorry for the noob question but I was just wondering.

Can the game be played with a Wii classic controller plugged into a Wiimote? I'm bringing the WiiU to a friend's house tonight and I plan on playing with (1)Gamepad, (2)WiiU classic controller pro, (3 & 4) Wiimote + Wii classic controller X 2. Will that work?

I think Wii Classic Controller should work fine since the Wii Classic Controller Pro controller works. I haven't tested it myself since I've only played single player with the GamePad.

No! The Original Wii Classic Controller does NOT work. This is the information we have (coming from that Gamexplain Q&A) since nobody will test it out. The Wii Classic Controller PRO, however, does work! But you could do us all a favor and TRY IT OUT so we can put this slight speculation to bed finally. Make sure you are talking about the ORIGINAL Wii CC. Not the CC Pro (which is not the Wii U Pro Controller, btw!).

You can also just use a Wiimote sideways, NES style if you're missing a fourth controller. Or just do the Galaxy style Wiimote + Nunchuk.

Linkhero1

No! The Original Wii Classic Controller does NOT work. This is the information we have (coming from that Gamexplain Q&A) since nobody will test it out. The Wii Classic Controller PRO, however, does work!

Thanks for the correction and confirmation. I will edit my post so people don't get confused.

Nope!
Only because I never used the gamepad for SMBU.

Haha! Well, you would have if you used the gamepad ;)

Andrew.

Banned
Same. I should have known it was too good to be true.

Did anyone else fall into a nostalgic trance in World 1-4? The music hit me hard.

What threw me off in World 1 was climbing up the staircase to the first boss and all you hear is the wind blowing and with that perfect surreal golden sky in the background. Felt like something out of an old Squaresoft RPG.

zroid

Banned
ifIReMPfWqx3j.jpg

this cost me more than 30 lives

clem84

Gold Member
No! The Original Wii Classic Controller does NOT work. This is the information we have (coming from that Gamexplain Q&A) since nobody will test it out. The Wii Classic Controller PRO, however, does work!

Aren't they the same? Except one has handles and the other one doesn't? It's very strange that one would work and the other wouldn't.

D-e-f-

Banned
Aren't they the same? Except one has handles and the other one doesn't? It's very strange that one would work and the other wouldn't.

We've been through this dozens of times. The OG CC has analogue shoulder buttons, the CCPro does not. That's the main differences. Until someone gets off their butt and tries it out to finally confirm this explicitly, all we can go by is the gamexplain Q&A which said the OG CC does not work and the CC Pro does work.

I'd love to try it out myself but Mario isn't out in Europe yet.

No! The Original Wii Classic Controller does NOT work. This is the information we have (coming from that Gamexplain Q&A) since nobody will test it out. The Wii Classic Controller PRO, however, does work! But you could do us all a favor and TRY IT OUT so we can put this slight speculation to bed finally. Make sure you are talking about the ORIGINAL Wii CC. Not the CC Pro (which is not the Wii U Pro Controller, btw!).

You can also just use a Wiimote sideways, NES style if you're missing a fourth controller. Or just do the Galaxy style Wiimote + Nunchuk.

Thanks for the correction and confirmation. I will edit my post so people don't get confused.

Haha! Well, you would have if you used the gamepad ;)

Both the Wii Classic Controller Pro and original Classic Controller both work. Gamexplain tested it and they both work. Nintendo only advertised Classic Controller Pro for some reason, maybe they wanted people to forget that first one existed.

WTF at the difficulty spike in 3-2? I died ten times getting to start 2. Might have to use Luigi or Peach. Not skilled enough to do wall jumps both ways.

zroid

Banned
Okay, to be fair, the original Classic Controller is pretty awkward to use, because the L and R buttons don't crouch. You have to use ZL and ZR, which are positioned in the most unwieldy spot on this controller. It might be marginally better than using a standalone Wiimote, but it's not good.

plank

Okay, to be fair, the original Classic Controller is pretty awkward to use, because the L and R buttons don't crouch. You have to use ZL and ZR, which are positioned in the most unwieldy spot on this controller. It might be marginally better than using a standalone Wiimote, but it's not good.

What about Wii Remote and Nunchuck? How much better is that?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Christmas morning I'm going to want a game that knocks my socks off. For me this is that game, so I'm holding off a purchase and getting it then.

zroid

Banned
What about Wii Remote and Nunchuck? How much better is that?

That was the first thing I tried, and while I think it's totally functional, it feels very odd. I'd say the main problem is using a different digit to operate the jump and the run buttons is... unnatural. You can probably get used to it, but it's tough.

Oh man. This game is amazing.

My kid is 5 and this is the first game I had her try to play-she used the Wi mote and nunchuck-she took a little while to get used to controlling-and then 3 levels later she pulled off a triple wall jump by herself on her first attempt. What a feeling!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This game is something special, for sure. It's giving me that same feeling I got from Super Mario World and Super Mario 64. I love Galaxy, but even those games didn't give me this feeling. Hard to put into words, but I think this is going to go down as one of the greats.

oatmeal

Banned
I think the Wii U Pro controller is incredibly comfy...BUT...the button placement is not as good as the GamePad.

It looks the same, but it's not, it's further left and where my fingers fall on Y/B on the GamePad, they fall on X/A on the Pro Controller.

Does anyone know if all star/ stamp areas are accessible to all characters without powerups, or are there some stars that NEED the cat suit to get?

El Odio

Banned
ifIReMPfWqx3j.jpg

this cost me more than 30 lives
I did the same thing and posted about it earlier in this thread aswell
I remember someone in one of the trailer threads wondering if you could use the cat bullet bills in the train level to get to the other side. Took me about 3 tries but I managed to pull it off.
zlCfzRMvCEs5Prbzrb
The reward of a single one up wasn't really worth it but it's still a cool little secret none the less.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This game is something special, for sure. It's giving me that same feeling I got from Super Mario World and Super Mario 64. I love Galaxy, but even those games didn't give me this feeling. Hard to put into words, but I think this is going to go down as one of the greats.
From watching my son play a few levels I already completely agree with you. Galaxy was great but this game makes me feel like I'm 10 again!

Conezays

I'm loving the Toad side-levels. Maybe a 3DS/Wii U E-shop release of all Toad levels? A guy can dream.

I'd settle for Free DLC as well.

Speevy

Banned
This game looks like the most robust Mario game conceptually, with tons of ideas packed into a very small space. The scale looks much smaller.

Is that an accurate description?

zroid

Banned
I did the same thing and posted about it earlier in this thread aswell

The reward of a single one up wasn't really worth it but it's still a cool little secret none the less.

don't you have to do that to get the 3rd green star? or can you somehow get it without jumping across?

LocalE

you know it's only ever on the internet that I hear this word used in these sort of contexts. It doesn't sit right with me

I know right? It's like, people say "480p resistive screen - gross!" and I'm like, what in the fuck are you talking about? Gross isn't the word for that, what is wrong with you reggie.gif.
And they're like, "seriously, I touched a 408p resistive screen in 2013 and threw up in my mouth a little because it's so gross!".

I don't get it.

Anyways..
All up in world 5 and this game is pretty fucking awesome.

Top Bottom