• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

zroid

Banned
I'm only in World 2, but holy shit this game is so much fun. I was also planning to play a bit of Zelda today but I don't want to stop playing Mario

The game just doesn't let you go, because every single level feels wholly fresh and original. That "one more level" feeling is as strong here as it's been in any game I've ever seen or played.

This is what it should look like, if you don't see it, you can go into the WiiU settings and adjust your tv size setting so that all game content appears on screen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r16lyifgagh1yb4/WiiU_screenshot_TV_0145C.jpg

BbCjcRPtzr8xTMR0-t4vFHqNK1RxiZ7-Jsow93JO3q8
My screen was right...just wasn't looking close enough. Thanks!

That is a great idea. I love stuff like this. Do you even remember all of them? I forget this stuff quickly a lot of the time. Only the most famous examples from Super Metroid and Mario 1 are cemented into my memory.

I am struggling to remember them, but I made out a list at one point. Like how the first time you use your sword in Skyward Sword (when looking for Loftwing at night), the enemies they give you are designed to teach you various things about how combat works without saying "You can combo enemies that don't die in one hit!" out loud or how the ropes around Loftwing's cage were at angles so you have to suss out that you can swing at angles, as well.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm up to World 3 so far. Pretty awesome so far. If I have one complaint so far, it's that it's really hard aiming my jumps. Maybe my spatial judgment is bad, but it was really hard for me to aim my jumps and try to stomp on enemies. Then I switched from the analog stick to the D-pad and it controls a lot easier. Pretty quirky.

Clockwork5

For people who complete the stamp sheet, Nintendo should send out real stamps. (Or at least a sticker sheet).

Or maybe put up real stamps on the Club Nintendo store.

yes... please?

I'm up to World 3 so far. Pretty awesome so far. If I have one complaint so far, it's that it's really hard aiming my jumps. Maybe my spatial judgment is bad, but it was really hard for me to aim my jumps and try to stomp on enemies. Then I switched from the analog stick to the D-pad and it controls a lot easier. Pretty quirky.

Yeah, i actually find myself appreciating and missing the stereoscopic 3d in sm3dl. Who would have thought?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Found a "new" move...

If you Ground Pound and quickly jump upon hitting the ground, you do a spring jump higher than usual.

spliced

For the slot machines just pick the easiest symbol for you to see while it spins and jump as soon as you see that symbol come up. Then do the same thing for the other 3. Don't pay attention to all the symbols, just focus on seeing your one.

I must say, the ending boss fight is very enjoyable. Very cinematic, but also game-y (if that makes any sense). My only complaint is that sometimes the camera was too slow for me.

Gosh, and look at all this post-game content! So not only am I going to go back and get as many green stars as possible, but I have a whole other world to explore too.

Didn't grab a screen of it, but at the "The End" screen you can see the Comet Observatory in the background up in space. A nice touch.

I'll write a full review later akin to ViewtifulJC's. Gonna let it simmer for a couple of hours.

Skilletor

I think this is my favorite Mario since SNES.

I got my gamepad working again. Unplugging the WiiU for 30 minutes cleared up the problem.

ffdgh

I must say, the ending boss fight is very enjoyable. Very cinematic, but also game-y (if that makes any sense). My only complaint is that sometimes the camera was too slow for me.

Gosh, and look at all this post-game content! So not only am I going to go back and get as many green stars as possible, but I have a whole other world to explore too.

Didn't grab a screen of it, but at the "The End" screen you can see the Comet Observatory in the background up in space. A nice touch.

I'll write a full review up later akin to ViewtifulJC's. Gonna let it simmer for a couple of hours.

Keep going later :D. A surprise is waiting.

Andrew.

Banned
Don't you love it how when you defeat the Chargin' Chucks, they make their SMW sound effect? It's sooo good.

Yup. I also love how that cat suit air pounce defeats them instantly.

How many stars do I need to enter the final area? I already have 122 and Im about to go to 5-4.

Subaru

Amazing game, i'm at the
mushroom world
now and I want to know if there is any way to find if I used a character on that stage before, because it seems that we need to finish level with all characters, right?

Gsnap

Still making my way through the game I'm into
the post worlds now
. Instant classic as far as I'm concerned. I can see myself coming back to this game again and again as the years go by.

It really needs to be reiterated how great the level design is. So much variety and fun not only in the game, but in the levels themselves. Even the first level introduces multiple concepts. The cat suit, clear pipes, chasing rabbits, Super Mushroom. I love how the levels are not only not bound by world themes, but also not by gameplay mechanics. What I found to be a weirdly special moment was when
You go down a pipe in one of the levels, and suddenly there's Plessie and you get a short but fun Plessie ride mid level. Then back to "normal"
. Then there's tight, focused levels. There's huge sprawling levels. There's one-off gimmick levels. There's fast levels where the timer starts at 100. Many levels have multiple ways to complete them and multiple paths to take. A personal favorite is in
Hands On Hall. When you get the propeller box you can propel your way to the top of the flagpole without having to find all the keys
. And there's so many secrets to find. Sometimes they're hidden, and reward your exploration. Sometimes they're in plain sight and you simply need to have the skill to reach them.

To me (and to a lot of people, I'm sure) a sign of good game design is the level of interactivity between the player and the game. I mean, that is what separates video game from other mediums, right? And I think player experimentation is important. When I poke and prod a game in different ways, It needs to react. This game reacts (Sometimes literally when using the gamepad). When you think, "Can I do this?" The game more often than not says yes. The possibility space of the game is huge. So many levels allow for a lot of creative expression in how you tackle challenges. And the number of moves at your disposal plus the number of suits (which you can take to any level), and the majority of levels can be beaten in many different ways. And even in the tightly focused levels like Mount Must Dash and Red Hot Run there are multiple paths to take and multiple ways to find the secrets. And then add multiplayer and bam. Everything changes.

I can understand if people prefer the Galaxy style over this, but personally I do not (Galaxy is still a top tier experience, but if I had to choose between the two, 3D World is my choice). There's something very special about this game to me. I'm obviously going to keep playing and finish everything, but I've played through so much already that I don't feel wrong in saying this is my favorite Mario game ever.

Welp, got my four shiny stars, I'm happy

jtAgS2DzndBDZ.jpg

Great game, I could see myself replaying this a lot over the years when its not so fresh in my head. Curious to see what EAD Tokyo does next on Wii U.

The Boat

Welp, got my four shiny stars, I'm happy

jtAgS2DzndBDZ.jpg

Great game, I could see myself replaying this a lot over the years when its not so fresh in my head. Curious to see what EAD Tokyo does next on Wii U.
Do the shiny stars still appear if the super guide block pops up? Because the guys I'm playing with are always dying lol

Nekofrog

Banned
Up to world 3-whatevertheghosthosueis. So far the game is pretty bland and uninspired, but the ghost house was a definite shining moment. Great tune, fun level. Hopefully there are more like it.

EhoaVash

world 6 this game is kicking my ass so hard, it's destroying my will to get all the green stars so much rage sometimes cause I'm not playing by myself

ffdgh

Up to world 3-whatevertheghosthosueis. So far the game is pretty bland and uninspired, but the ghost house was a definite shining moment. Great tune, fun level. Hopefully there are more like it.

That's too bad to hear but keep going. The later stages should give you the variety you desire.

Top Bottom