• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World |OT| Next-gen starts right meow!

Roo

Is anyone else surprised or kinda bummed about the complete lack of Yoshi in this game? (Granted, I'm on level 6-3 so I have no idea of he shows up later on)
I mean, it's Mario 3D WORLD, the game Yoshi was introduced in was SMW and here are SO MANY SMW references. I'm stoked about the actual 5th character but at the same time I'm surprised it's not Yoshi - or that he just isn't even in the game at all, even as a mount. He'd be the ultimate bonus character too because he could have all of the character's powers combined: Luigi's jump, Peach's float, and Toad's speed, plus his tongue as an attack. Maybe they thought it would be too weird having him wear the power-up suits? It'd be so rad galloping as (or on) him through some of these levels.

;_;

Actually this is EXACTLY the reason why they didn't include him in 3D World.

IGN Interview said:
Where’s Yoshi?

With a lot of the fun new power-ups, we noticed that Yoshi was missing from the trailer and gameplay demos. Was Yoshi, or multiple Yoshi’s, ever a consideration for a multiplayer Mario platformer in 3D? Yoshi had such a predominant role in Super Mario World, and I know that there’s not a direct connection, but a spiritual connection between Super Mario World and Super Mario 3D World.

Motokura: We did think about including Yoshi, but I guess you could say that in this game there are certain abilities that are similar to what Yoshi could do. For example, there’s a piranha flower that you can carry and attack enemies with. Also, Peach has her floating jump. So we did include those elements in the game. We also like to bring up this other dinosaur character that’s called Plessie, that all four characters can ride at the same time to go through the stage. I love Yoshi as much as anybody else, but I also love this new character. The thing that you can experience with Plessie that’s totally new is that you can ride one animal, basically, using four different characters at the same time. That’s a new experience.

World 1
tumblr_lq924kjRC91qj0zk3o1_250.gif

World 2
ounym.gif

So I guess the game eases you in at first. Can anyone comment on the length of the levels? Is it comparable to Galaxy? 3D Land levels were pretty short.

Kyzon

Does anyone else have to get every star/stamp before you move on to the next stage? Yeah, I'm that guy...and I'm not even really ocd =P

Somewhat. I played a bunch of multiplayer though so it wasn't happening. There's one post game level where I didn't even get one star. Fuck that level. I'll be back there sometime later.

Are all the post game levels remixes of earlier levels like in 3D Land? If so I'm gonna be very disappointed. That part of 3D Land felt very half arsed.

HoJu

Plessie levels are basically the slide levels from SM64, so I didn't mind them. Much better then the SMG manta ray levels as the controls are actually good.

As much as I'm loving this game, I still hope this isn't the direction that all future 3D Mario games will go in.

Are all the post game levels remixes of earlier levels like in 3D Land? If so I'm gonna be very disappointed. That part of 3D Land felt very half arsed.

I havent played them all, but theyre completely new, and have great variety from one another. One of them has you chasing a moving flag poll.

Is Plessie only in one stage?

its at least three

And the beach song is the best song of forever.

Agreed. I go back to the lagoon level, just to hear it, while underwater. The shimmering effects on the water matchs perfectly. Its brilliant.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Mostly through world 4 single player currently but had my daughters for the first time since release tonight. Since they're on break from school we played Mario from 9pm until midnight and had a blast together. We had snacks and had a regular "Mario party"!

I've been playing hype man to them about the game for months now and they were so stoked to wear the cat suits and fight for the crown and race to the flagpole. All throwing each other off levels and shit. This game is so damned fun and wasn't nearly as stressful as NSMBU.

As much as I'm loving this game, I still hope this isn't the direction that all future 3D Mario games will go in.

One of my favorite things about 3D mario is it doesn't seem to have a direction. They just think of a cool concept and go bananas, and then come up with another cool concept. Other than Galaxy 2 they all seem pretty different.

Actually this is EXACTLY the reason why they didn't include him in 3D World.
That quote seems like they would have made Yoshi a mount instead of his own playable character. But yeah that's why I thought he'd make a good unlockable character, because he's all of the characters combined. He'd be used for speed runs or just fucking around. Would have been cool. :(

Not all of those levels were remixes, there were still plenty of original levels in 3D Land's post game.

They have actually gone on record saying this is not the direction all future Mario games will take. People were flipping their shit about that before the game came out but it's just not the case, there are now 3 types of Mario platformer games: 2D, 3D linear, and 3D adventure. There will be another Galaxy-esque Mario game.

That said with how much I adore 3D Land and now 3D World I really wouldn't mind a sequel. I'm fairly shocked that NSMB 2 AND NSMBU got DLC levels but 3D Land hasn't. I hope that 3D World has some kind of expansion planned, be it Toad missions or Mystery Houses or new worlds or a full blown sequel.

Neiteio

Roll your eyes all you want, but for the next 3D Land/World-style game, I want:

- Dog Suit
- Frog Suit

Yep, give me a Dog Suit that can dig and shit, all cute and marketable, and bring back the Frog Suit from SMB3.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Penguin Suit in these games, either. Belly-sliding in 3D and firing ice cubes to create makeshift platforms is FUN.

Also, that scrapped Chicken Suit from the NSMBW art looked interesting:

171166-chick.jpg

Air

Banned
That quote seems like they would have made Yoshi a mount instead of his own playable character. But yeah that's why I thought he'd make a good unlockable character, because he's all of the characters combined. He'd be used for speed runs or just fucking around. Would have been cool. :(

Not all of those levels were remixes, there were still plenty of original levels in 3D Land's post game.

They have actually gone on record saying this is not the direction all future Mario games will take. People were flipping their shit about that before the game came out but it's just not the case, there are now 3 types of Mario platformer games: 2D, 3D linear, and 3D adventure. There will be another Galaxy-esque Mario game.

That said with how much I adore 3D Land and now 3D World I really wouldn't mind a sequel. I'm fairly shocked that NSMB 2 AND NSMBU got DLC levels but 3D Land hasn't. I hope that 3D World has some kind of expansion planned, be it Toad missions or Mystery Houses or new worlds or a full blown sequel.

iirc, they aren't planning any kind of dlc.

Roo

Roll your eyes all you want, but for the next 3D Land/World-style game, I want:

- Dog Suit
- Frog Suit

Yep, give me a Dog Suit that can dig and shit, all cute and marketable, and bring back the Frog Suit from SMB3.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Penguin Suit in these games, either. Belly-sliding in 3D and firing ice cubes to create makeshift platforms is FUN.

Also, that scrapped Chicken Suit from the NSMBW art looked interesting:

171166-chick.jpg

I don't even know how conceive a good idea to use that suit... I mean.. a chicken? e.e
Anyway, I'm down for a Frog suit. I hate underwater levels in Mario games so this could be very helpful.

I bought this today and played it with a bunch of my friends in my dorm's lounge. There was so much shouting and laughing; it was probably the most fun I've had with a game in a long time. Now I can't wait to go back and play single player to get all the collectibles we missed!

Final Boss spoilers: https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzRM6jqsrNl3vzx
Seriously, I can't get over that fight. It might not have been super hard but it was just the right amount of chaotic to be fun and memorable. Such a cool concept.
Flower
-8 though is the most stressful thing ever though. Even with the tanooki suit.

Eh, I didn't like it that much. The auto scrolling is too damn slow, I died a couple of times jumping up too fast and losing my place. The money shot is great though.

tbm24

Just completed the game. Started playing yesterday and beat it in three sittings just about. I finished with 240 stars, I think that's all I can get from a fresh run to bowser but I don't know. Now, I have not played either Galaxy game but 3D World is easily my favorite mario game. I came to that conclusion on the last bowser lever.
After I stopped having to care about collecting starts I went with the flow of the level. The way the music escalated the further up you went and with how awesome Bowser looks in cat form, as soon as I got to the top and sent him flying I just knew it was my favorite mario. What makes the game more special to me is after the credits the fairies build that spaceship and as soon as I got the overworld of the space levels I had to put the gamepad down and take it in. I'm going to save those levels for when I get home from work tomorrow.

People tend to have a downer on Nintendo but no one makes games quite like them. I forgot I had a PS4 this weekend because of 3D world.

Marjar

Banned
Final Boss was pretty rad, although I played it as Peach which kind of made it easy mode.

I can only imagine what that level is like with 4 players lol.

Kard8p3

Do we know when people will be able to get the soundtrack in Japan? The sooner that happens the sooner we have access to high quality versions of the tracks and right now I'd really like to have it.

Yousefb

Hey guys this may be a dumb question but figured this would be the best place to ask and hope for an answer. So I have been playing and loving this game the past couple days on my 60 inch had tv but there's one minor issue that's been bothering me. Although the resolution is obviously higher on the tv than on the game pad I for some reason feel like the game actually looks better on the pad. I'm not sure what it is exactly but something is off about the colors and no matter how hard I try to fiddle with the picture settings I just can't seem to get the imageo on the screen to look similar to What's on the game pad. So I was wondering if perhaps anyone here has any tips or advice about optimal TV settings I suppose. Regardless the game is still gorgeous to look at. It's just that the colors are not exactly the same across both screens and I feel like what's on the game pad are what the colors should be you know whati mean. I realize this is such a minor thing but I feel like getting it exactly right will allow me to really see this game for all is potential on the screen. So Thanks in advanced to anyone that can help.!

69wpm

Do we know when people will be able to get the soundtrack in Japan? The sooner that happens the sooner we have access to high quality versions of the tracks and right now I'd really like to have it.

Already on eBay if you want to fork out 60 bucks.

Hey guys this may be a dumb question but figured this would be the best place to ask and hope for an answer. So I have been playing and loving this game the past couple days on my 60 inch had tv but there's one minor issue that's been bothering me. Although the resolution is obviously higher on the tv than on the game pad I for some reason feel like the game actually looks better on the pad. I'm not sure what it is exactly but something is off about the colors and no matter how hard I try to fiddle with the picture settings I just can't seem to get the imageo on the screen to look similar to What's on the game pad. So I was wondering if perhaps anyone here has any tips or advice about optimal TV settings I suppose. Regardless the game is still gorgeous to look at. It's just that the colors are not exactly the same across both screens and I feel like what's on the game pad are what the colors should be you know whati mean. I realize this is such a minor thing but I feel like getting it exactly right will allow me to really see this game for all is potential on the screen. So Thanks in advanced to anyone that can help.!

What's your TV model? Usually tvs these days have a ''gaming'' mode.

GCX

I'd also really like to know if Koji Kondo composed any tracks and if so what tracks they are.

Fuck this. I just can't beat the last level, even with a Tanooki Suit. I've never been this frustrated at a Mario game, and this just might be the first one I don't 100%.

I enjoy difficulty, Nintendo, but not "You have to be among the best to beat this level."

Fuck.

Kard8p3

I'd also really like to know if Koji Kondo composed any tracks and if so what tracks they are.

I believe there was an interview awhile back where he said he worked on two themes. I believe he said he did the beach theme and the athletic theme.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm not sure if this helps, but the Wii U seems to be calibrated for the YCbCr709 color space. I only know this from using capture cards that produce different color results for RGB, 709, and 601.

Fuck this. I just can't beat the last level, even with a Tanooki Suit. I've never been this frustrated at a Mario game, and this just might be the first one I don't 100%.

I enjoy difficulty, Nintendo, but not "You have to be among the best to beat this level."

Fuck.
Check this video for hints if you're making things harder on yourself like I was at first. Half the problem is just figuring out how to do things properly. Let my loss at experimentation be your gain.

Seik

Banned
Oh my...

I thought there was only one extra world (Star World)

...I just reached Mushroom World. :D

Dat content.

Feindflug

Some general advice: as another guy suggested start with enabling Game Mode to reduce lag and getting rid of post process BS, disable any remaining post process like DNie/Digital Noise Reduction/Edge Enhancement/100Hz and set the color tone to normal...then play with the color/brightness/contrast settings and see how it goes.

Yousefb

Some general advice: as another guy suggested start with enabling Game Mode to reduce lag and getting rid of post process BS, disable any remaining post process like DNie/Digital Noise Reduction/Edge Enhancement/100Hz and set the color tone to normal...then play with the color/brightness/contrast settings and see how it goes.

Problem is there's only two "color temperature" options: high and low.
And I think that's where the problem lies. A middle ground would be nice lol

Its a mitsubishi TV, not sure of the model though it's LCD

Robin64

European gamers, it's time for our countdown! Now we're in the same week that 3DW launches and I'm getting excited. 4 days to go!

Top Bottom