• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

theluma

Any way to make comet stars appear? I have every single star you can get before fighting the last boss, bar the comet star in
slimy spring galaxy
. I have the comet coin but the the star won't appear.

Suggestions?

theluma said:
Any way to make comet stars appear? I have every single star you can get before fighting the last boss, bar the comet star in
slimy spring galaxy
. I have the comet coin but the the star won't appear.

Suggestions?

Do other comet stars and get other comet coins from other levels.

It's very hard to play the game in order unless you got every single comet coin along your first go-through.

I am also having a bitch of a time trying to finish
The Perfect Run
, holy shit. I'm sure I could do it but I'm a very impatient Mario player, the kind that just long jumps over most shit and doesn't care about getting hit once or twice.

theluma

SuperAngelo64 said:

It's very hard to play the game in order unless you got every single comet coin along your first go-through.

But I have got literally every other comet star. First 5 worlds complete, just missing that one thing and the last level.

Dr.Hadji

Formless said:
I really hate the Mario clones. That Golden Chomp Chomp level is killing me.

They're really easy to overcome if you play to win. But if you play around as normal, they are some of the best parts of the game.

jarosh

there are just too many awful and really annoying stars in this game. all the speeding yoshi parts are just horrible. but even worse are the bird levels. holy fuck. what were they thinking? i can safely say i prefer nsmb wii over this. yes, the level design and a lot of the ideas are CRAZY and very creative. but i find that the endless (gravity) gimmicks sometimes work against the flow of the game. i prefer nsmb wii's streamlined gameplay and i guess i also just prefer the fact that it's 2d, which seems to allow for so much more precision and skill-based gameplay. certainly, the level design isn't as "out there" as in galaxy, but that is mostly due to the more traditional setting. i find the overall quality and cleverness of nsmb wii's level design to top almost anything in galaxy 2. i had more fun with it than with galaxy 2. the many 2d parts were kinda neat, but again, nsmbw does 2d so much better, it just seemed like a bit of a waste here.

that said: it's a great game. yes, IT'S A GREAT GAME. i had lots of fun with it, despite everything i said above. i'm just a tad disappointed because my expectations were so high and after having played nsmb wii for so long and having so much fun with it, i couldn't quite "get into" galaxy 2's kind of gameplay again. it didn't "click" as much as i'd hoped too. maybe it's the 3d, maybe the chunk sized gameplay, maybe the abundance of filler stars... i don't know.

one_kill

I've been doing the prankster comet challenges and I'm finding them really funny. I can't wait to check out the new levels though. Still up to World 3, but I'll be in World 4 soon.

Davey Cakes

jarosh said:
but even worse are the bird levels. holy fuck. what were they thinking?
What's wrong with the bird (Fluzzard) levels? Unless you're talking about the slight-learning-curve motion controls....

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this isn't actually meant to be argumentative, but I think levels like the 2D-styled HoneyBee level made me realise how much cooler NSMBW would have been if they'd put even half as much effort into the presentation as they did with SMG2.

leng jai

Bought SMG2 today for $69aud even though I've had the first one unplayed since launch. The disc art looks so much better this time

AniHawk

yeah, but the 2d levels in smg2 just made me want to play nsmbw anyway. it was the only part where i thought "wow, i wish there was some imagination here"

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i much preferred SMG2 to NSMBW. whether the gravity is a gimmick or not, i was constantly impressed with how it was implemented, and i had a huge grin on my face for 99.99% of the game. it's the first mario that i've beaten that quickly, or beaten to the extent that i did. i gave it a drumming, and did absolutely every single thing there was to do in the game and loved every minute.

it could be i just prefer 3d mario to 2d mario. i'd say that's true by a wide margin, if i think on it hard.

markot

Banned
Why did they remove the shooting star thingy in single player >.<?

(Aim with wiimote and shoot stars and gather em!)

Davey Cakes

Well, with Galaxy/2, the 2D parts are merely an extension of the design, where with NSMB Wii, they ARE the design. This considered, I forgive Galaxy/2 for not always being as impressive as NSMB Wii in these parts, though I still truly enjoy the occasional break from full 3D play.

Zing

Banned
Himuro said:
I cannot, will not, and do not have the ability to understand how anyone can prefer Mario 64 to Sunshine and especially Galaxy, but it seems we have different tastes in platformers.

Mario 64 was the best Mario game by far, until Galaxy was released. I can't decide if Galaxy 2 is "better" than Galaxy 1. I have 100% both games and I am leaning a bit toward the overall presentation of Galaxy 1.

Sunshine, however, is one of the worst games I have ever played. I have given it two serious tries over a couple year span and I don't get it. I will probably try it again someday, but I will have to do something drastic, like completely ignore blue coins, in order for me to enjoy it. I do not enjoy random collectathons.

jarosh said:
but even worse are the bird levels. holy fuck. what were they thinking?

I do not understand this complaint. There is nothing wrong with the bird levels. The controls are perfectly responsive, and the learning curve is literally a matter of seconds. The levels themselves are ridiculously short, too. If you're having problems with these sections, it's probably because you lack the ability to hold your hand steady. If you find yourself flying around the screen in an uncontrollable fashion, don't be afraid to hold the remote with both hands. It will make things a lot easier.

AniHawk said:
yeah, but the 2d levels in smg2 just made me want to play nsmbw anyway. it was the only part where i thought "wow, i wish there was some imagination here"

What, constantly alternating gravity drections, and falling forever around the outside of a cylinder aren't indicative of imagination?

Ben2749 said:
What, constantly alternating gravity drections, and falling forever around the outside of a cylinder aren't indicative of imagination?
Well, I don't know about Anihawk, but for me, I was disappointed as all that was already done in the first SMG. There wasn't anything built off or improved over in that respect.

AniHawk

Ben2749 said:

been there, done that. it's not that it's terrible or anything, but compared to the rest of the game, they stuck out like a sore thumb. Mario with the fire flower in that one 2d level with burning the boxes felt really really slow and LBPish.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
markot said:
Why did they remove the shooting star thingy in single player >.<?

(Aim with wiimote and shoot stars and gather em!)

What? You can still collect star bits just by pointing at them, and then shoot them at enemies and other stuff by pressing B. Or are you talking about something else here...?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EatChildren said:
So apparently there is an update on the Super Mario Galaxy 2 aussie release disk.

Is it 4.3?

Anybody?

Christine

lordoftherink said:
Well, I don't know about Anihawk, but for me, I was disappointed as all that was already done in the first SMG. There wasn't anything built off or improved over in that respect.

What level in SMG1 had gravity wrap around a cylinder? I was pretty sure that was new for SMG2, but my memory may just be failing me.

mutsu

I am also a fan of SMG2 over NSMB Wii. For some reason I just can't get into NSMB Wii. Bought it at launch and I am still in World 4 I think.

Bought SMG2 since launch and I am now at 88 stars! I just can't stop playing the game. It is so much more compelling to me playing Mario in 3D for some reason. I just love to be able to move him around freely in 3D space.

HeySeuss

I love this game but does anybody else find the
green stars
tedious like the Triforce fetch quest in WindWaker? I'm at 194 stars but only a few were hard to get so far. The only 2 that I can think of that were hard was only because it involved making a death plunge.

They are easy to find and just seem like a cheap way to extend the game. I'm pushing through in the hopes that getting everything unlocks something.

Now before you point the troll finger at me understand that this is a great game and I'm enjoying it more than the first. I'm just finding it tiresome like a fetch quest.

TwinIonEngines said:
What level in SMG1 had gravity wrap around a cylinder? I was pretty sure that was new for SMG2, but my memory may just be failing me.
Ah, my bad, I read it wrong, I thought he was referring to falling around in circles in the 2D levels. That was in Space Storm Galaxy, right? I thought that was easily one of the best galaxies in the game. Loved the music.

Tricky I Shadow said:
I’d look in the manual but I’m not home at the moment, so I’ll ask you guys. What are coins used for?

Just new galaxies(or new stars or something new or nothing I forget).

The Galaxy games for me are a blur after I play them.

Christine

lordoftherink said:
Ah, my bad, I read it wrong, I thought he was referring to falling around in circles in the 2D levels. That was in Space Storm Galaxy, right? I thought that was easily one of the best galaxies in the game. Loved the music.

Also Tall Tree and the last bowser level. I've got to agree about the music, it's good on its own but it's also a perfect intro to segue into Buoy Base.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Damn, reading through the thread, I kinda feel bad about not enjoying the game as much as others, specially ma boys like Anihawk and beezlebozo. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Perfect Run is the hardest part of both games by a good mile. I didn't even find Galaxy 2 all that difficult until now. Goddamn you, game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Oblivion said:
Damn, reading through the thread, I kinda feel bad about not enjoying the game as much as others, specially ma boys like Anihawk and beezlebozo. :(
it's all good mang. it just struck exactly all the right chords for who I am. i don't expect it to have that broad sweeping effect on everyone--i can only say with reasonable certainty that this game and myself worked in complete synergy like two parts of a whole coming together, and that my time spent with it was as good as i can imagine anything being.

EatChildren said:
So apparently there is an update on the Super Mario Galaxy 2 aussie release disk.

Is it 4.3?

I didn't want to risk it whiping out my Homebrew Channel. So I copied mine to hard disk and playing off the USB Loader via Homebrew Channel

A.CHAP

Banned
AniHawk said:

I got this game yesterday and have finished the first world. So far I have found the 2D sections to be far more interesting than anything in NSMW and im up to world 7 in that. The shifting gravity, falling round a cylinder and the drill sections have been really fun and more origional than anything i remember in NSMW.

Davey Cakes

Who honestly uses the bank toad? If I hadn't been spoiled I wouldn't have known that using the bank
is required for the last comet star.

And I thought that Lubba was just being sarcastic when he said a good thing will happen when you get 9,999 star bits.

elektrixx

Banned
EatChildren said:
It's not 4.3. It's just another IOS I think. It must be the same thing that was on the USA release, because I updated with some other program and the time and had no prompt for my AU PAL copy.

Did anyone else put the tutorial disc in the Wii?!

Maron

SuperAngelo64 said:

I am also having a bitch of a time trying to finish
The Perfect Run
, holy shit. I'm sure I could do it but I'm a very impatient Mario player, the kind that just long jumps over most shit and doesn't care about getting hit once or twice.

Me too. Can anyone point me in the direction of any really good walkthroughs of that level on YouTube? I'd need the prankster comet version though.

Davey Cakes

The Perfect Run
is a fine challenge indeed. I've tried to conquer it multiple times so far, to no avail, but I have gotten VERY close to beating it. It's in the final stretch that I just start to choke a bit, now that I've gotten used to the majority of the level.

The
Flip-Swap
part is indeed the hardest at first but if you save two clouds from the previous part, it becomes easy with a bit of strategy in using the clouds.

Tonight I REALLY wanted to get ol' number 242, but after several tries of that final star, I'd just hit a point of exhaustion and impatience that was causing me to make stupid mistakes. I'll rest up and try to finish this baby off later on.

robox

2 stars to 120.
sooooo not looking forward to those last 2.

goddamn luigi's purple coins
makes a comeback. and now with friends.
and
poltergeist rock??
speedrun? that thing eats up half the time by itself!

also, flip out galaxy comet coin had me stumped. that must've been the most out of the way comet coin to get, despite dangling in front of your face the whole time

I just finished with 73 stars a few minutes ago and have no desire to go back and get anymore. Shockingly this is my first game in 2010 that I’m disappointed with.

I don’t know, I got really bored with this one and towards the end actually wanted it to just end. All the magic and sense of wonder just wasn’t here. It’s far too familiar and I guess I just got sick of it.

It’s obviously not a bad game, but I really wouldn’t call it amazing either. It’s just good and nothing more in my eyes. By the way this is coming from someone who thought the original was GOTG! : (

From all the games I’ve played this year I’d rank them like this: Red Dead Redemption >> Bayonetta >> Heavy Rain >> God of War III >> Super Mario Galaxy 2.

EDIT: I thought the last Bowser level and boss fight were both amazingly good! The music was soooooooo good! Definitely the highlight of the whole game for me!

one_kill

I'm up to World 5 with 77 stars. I'm having a blast so far. :D

The only level I don't like is the Sunshine inspired one, though I did enjoy the prankster comet challenge in that level.

EatChildren

r - b - x said:
2 stars to 120.
sooooo not looking forward to those last 2.

What's your last two?

markot

Banned
RoadHazard said:
What? You can still collect star bits just by pointing at them, and then shoot them at enemies and other stuff by pressing B. Or are you talking about something else here...?

I dunno, I think there was something wrong with my wiimote >.< I couldnt do it at all yesterday but now it works... lol.

Top Bottom