• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

jholmes

True, but it's a lot harder to find what you want. That's why I think levels should be able to be tagged by the creator to start with, then other users can tag like Traditional, Extreme, Don't press anything and levels like that.

Probably still be abused, but at least it would have a base.

I would want this if only to quarantine all those idiotic automation levels on the other side of the planet.

I'm finally getting this game today! It's out for delivery. I have been writing a lot of codes down from this thread and cannot wait to try your guy's levels. My wife will probably be making most of the levels, though.

Robiin

Show me your platforming and reactionary skills in my latest work, Never Not Running! 30 seconds on the timer, but you'll make it if you just do what it says, don't let go of the run button!

Worked on this all day, so hopefully someone wants to try it!

ID 951F-0000-0042-B262

WVW69iZK3Tsee9BGXJ

Naar

So i made a level yesterday that i thought was medium difficulty, but my completion rate is 14%

can some of you play it and give me some feedback please? its called jump man

E3AF-0000-003E-AB4F

SuperJay

Welcome to Super Mario 3! DA51-0000-0042-8E10

I just wanted a simple, clean, traditional platforming level to help combat all the crazy levels. Have fun, explore, or race to the end. You decide!

Legend of Zelda: Ganon's Revenge E9AE-0000-0039-9511

If you're looking for more of a challenge with tricky secret paths, puzzles, and a final boss, check out my zelda dungeon!

Insured

Finally got around to playing this today, and I've got so many level ideas I want to create, but so little time... I'm looking to learn some actually good level design with the help of this game, but of course so far it's just a lot of fun to mess around with the editor! I'm trying to create fair and logical levels that hopefully reward experimentation, and aren't full of bullshit enemy spam, pixel perfect jumps or troll blocks everywhere.

Of course I probably have not exactly hit the nail on the head on my first two levels, but I'll take any constructive feedback if anyone's curious enough to give them a try!

Maruigi's Underground Adventure (A0D1-0000-0042-0FAD)

Don't you wish we never grew up? (4079-0000-0042-AD51)

Ferrio

Banned
Was watching a streamer I follow, he mainly plays boshy type fan games. He was making the expert mario levels his bitch.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Show me your platforming and reactionary skills in my latest work, Never Not Running! 30 seconds on the timer, but you'll make it if you just do what it says, don't let go of the run button!

Worked on this all day, so hopefully someone wants to try it!

ID 951F-0000-0042-B262

WVW69iZK3Tsee9BGXJ
Beat it and starred it. Enjoyed it but the part with the beetle didn't seem clear what I was supposed to do right away especially because of how fast you're going. Had to die a fair few times before I figured it out.

Ah it's good to be on the other side of that!

Hasney

I just wanted a simple, clean, traditional platforming level to help combat all the crazy levels. Have fun, explore, or race to the end. You decide!

I really like this one! Got the secret pipe, star and P switches too. I'd consider entering it into the 1-1 contest.

muteant

i think every time you finish a level, it should force you to either choose to star it, or specifically not star it, before moving on. i get the sense that some people are just being lazy (versus just being stingy).

Glass Joe

Seems like there's too many makers, not enough players.

I had a few levels of 100 Mario Challenge that were actually good, so that seems to be getting better. Also got a lot of crap so that may have just been luck or wishful thinking.

Controversial opinion: The cap for creating your own levels needs to be tougher. It would force you to craft the best levels possible instead of just posting your amiibo collection as a level or other stuff that is just testing grounds. My cap of levels went to 20 when I only had 8 made, but I think my stars would be higher if I had more players try what I've had (my star/player ratio is pretty good).

Controversial opinion 2: Each time you complete a 100 Mario challenge, it should give YOUR levels priority to be played by others. It keeps you involved, participating in the playing and feedback process that way.

Oh, and I made a new castle level. It's actually easy (hopefully) but it has a lot of stuff going on for a bit of an adrenaline rush. Just run fast.

Mario & Luigi Go To White Castle
(2349-0000-0040-E142)

clav

i think every time you finish a level, it should force you to either choose to star it, or specifically not star it, before moving on. i get the sense that some people are just being lazy (versus just being stingy).

Or rather write comments of some sort. Either a picture or words like Super Mario 3D World.

clav

Generally yeah, it's why I give feedback on so many levels in here. But having to unlock all the costumes by using 100 Mario mode is making me lose faith in humanity.

Exactly. There's a bunch of garbage in 100 Mario mode that makes you wonder why.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The character limit kills my motivation to write comments. I tried once but couldn't get what I wanted to say in so few characters so now I don't even bother.

OK, so I went back to the 'drawing board' and remade my first level.
It's a challenging SMB1 level, yet remaining fair. It should feel alot more consistent now.

It has three hidden 1ups and 100 coins as an extra challenge.

Don't hesitate to give some proper feedback.
Sidenote: Mario has been captured and locked away by Bowser. Explains the opening scene. He gets help from a mysterious ally.

Hope you enjoy!

E2D2-0000-0042-BF23

WVW69iZK9fAgF1n0ng

Glass Joe

The character limit kills my motivation to write comments. I tried once but couldn't get what I wanted to say in so few characters so now I don't even bother.

You can comment at a specific part of the level, though. My complaint is that any comment seems to star the course, so I have to keep my whining to a minimum, lol. But "cheap death" caused by bad design is something that is worth saying to an otherwise creative level. Maybe you can't do it because writing "this level is bad" without starring it is just going to make kids feel bad.

zroid

Banned
You can comment at a specific part of the level, though. My complaint is that any comment seems to star the course, so I have to keep my whining to a minimum, lol. But "cheap death" caused by bad design is something that is worth saying to an otherwise creative level. Maybe you can't do it because writing "this level is bad" without starring it is just going to make kids feel bad.

well, you can comment through Miiverse directly instead of using the built-in system. I don't think they will show up on the course but the creator would still get a notification about the comment I think.

I've lost motivation to make well designed levels because most people playing this game are probably little kids who die once then give up. I've seen power-up heaven levels with 20+ stars. What the hell.

Hasney

Yes. I actually made myself some checkpoints with doors in it and it's basically impossible to die. It's called Cape Fun.

That'll be why. I had one that was just guiding a trampoline down a passage as a rage creation from what I was playing. Utter bullshit fake "art piece" as a trampoline findin its purpose..

5 stars, so I deleted it. Only just beat that record now.

BooJoh

My highest stars-to-plays ratio is on probably my hardest level. But it's a single screen level and it may have gotten a little extra traffic when Tyrone Rodriguez retweeted it.

Robiin

Beat it and starred it. Enjoyed it but the part with the beetle didn't seem clear what I was supposed to do right away especially because of how fast you're going. Had to die a fair few times before I figured it out.

Ah it's good to be on the other side of that!
Thanks dude! Yeah, I can see that. I was doing the coin route to guide players, and then I hit the object limit. I fixed a few things, but after a while you get so close-minded so you can't see what a new player would see... thanks for playing and starring, really cool!

Hey, thanks for such detailed feedback.

The couple of reasons I keep Yoshi optional in these; I want the path to finding Yoshi to be fairly well hidden. Not with random out of the way hidden ? blocks, but tough to find. I don't want players to get frustrated with that and make it a requirement if they just want to beat the course. Yoshi is like a hard to find Star / Coin in other Mario games. The second point is there are a limited number of ways to truly make Yoshi a requirement (ie; players not being asked to brute force through), and while I could add a little variety to things like spikey stair cases and thwomp floors, it'd limit my design options.

Regarding the secret 'intended' Yoshi path (yes, I intentionally left it open so people could discover it via cape too)..
.. the pipe spouting out P switches is actually a warp pipe. Quite a few people missed that, so I may need to make it a bit more obvious. Going through it gives you access to the spinet helm, allowing you to bust through the blocked pipe in the 'checkpoint' room

Hope that makes sense. Please give it another go if you're interested in seeing it in action.

I get why you don't want to make Yoshi integral but I still think it should be a fair bit more connected to the level then, even if not necessary. Also yeah I don't think I'd ever discover that but I'll probably replay it later with that in mind.

xlom3000

I've uploaded about 3 levels so far and have taken to graphing paper for another two. I'd love if someone played through them and let me know what they thought.

2Q4iehH.jpg

Frost Gentleman's Airship Palace: 5B08-0000-003F-76E8
A recreation of Ice Man's Stage from Mega Man. Pretty straight forward. Toned the difficulty way down as I'd like people to actually complete it haha. The disappearing block rooms used to be incredibly rage inducing.

omjO85e.jpg

Bowser Jr's Tantrum Tower: 93F9-0000-0040-05C3
My first original level. Climb Bowser Jr's tower! This one ups the difficulty slightly. One section I was a little worried about for people who don't know about Mario's spin jump. I also tried to recreate the old chain fence climbing of SMW castles with the background element and vines in front of it.

ghu24EL.jpg

Take Flight Mario... In A Cave?!: 467C-0000-0040-4C0D
This one might still need a little tuning. Especially in the first room. Might need to move the invisible block to a more obvious place. Otherwise, it's a stage with two paths. Can you make it to the alternate exit?

I also gave them rather amusing flavor stories on miiverse.

I hope y'all enjoy them! I appreciate any feedback

Legend of Zelda: Ganon's Revenge E9AE-0000-0039-9511

If you're looking for more of a challenge with tricky secret paths, puzzles, and a final boss, check out my zelda dungeon!

Played and starred the mario level. Really good - could easily be an early level from a Mario title. As someone else said, you should enter in the contest. Makes me realise I'm trying a bit too hard with some of my levels. Less is more and all that...

Dreavus

I don't suppose there is any way to set triggers on boss fights is there? Nothing to stop the player from just avoiding the enemies an continuing on? I'm here at work theory crafting an "arena" stage, similar to those Question mark block challenges in SM3DW (Kill a bunch of enemies in the room, green star appears), only I'd want to do a bunch in sequence.

Seiniyta

I've been working on a level which isn't too long, or too hard, but sitll offers some challenge. Especially at the end. There's also some paths that give powerups that aren't mandatory but make things easier:

WVW69iZHLNgPH21LMh

Goomba 1-3 4A72-0000-0041-25FC

kinggroin

Banned
I mean, just because you don't have to make traditional Mario levels doesn't mean the kind of level you want to make will be an automatic fit if it belongs to a game with completely different rules governing a character's maneuverability and how punishing death is.

A lot of people keep making stages where you have to make tricky jumps onto one tile platforms, which is something that works fine in Megaman but kind of sucks in Mario.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing people are having fun when playing these stages.

More like people are assholes.

I guess I just have no problems with these type of levels (I've had to make one tile jumps in OG Mario before), but rather my issue is with the sorting system. You should be able to find stages that aren't like those with ease.

I don't suppose there is any way to set triggers on boss fights is there? Nothing to stop the player from just avoiding the enemies an continuing on? I'm here at work theory crafting an "arena" stage, similar to those Question mark block challenges in SM3DW (Kill a bunch of enemies in the room, green star appears), only I'd want to do a bunch in sequence.

- Boss is in a clown car, and flying is required to proceed forward

- P-switch is buried in the floor, and Mario 3 Bowser needs to stomp through the bricks to hit it

- Bowser is enclosed in a tiny room with only a small hole for access, not enough to slip past him, and the player is required to grab shells shot from a bill shooter and throw them inside to kill him, after which you can proceed through the hole

- Boss is simply a survival challenge, a bill shooter in an alcove keeps shooting bob-ombs to destroy columns of bricks from the top down, and you can't proceed until they blow up bricks blocking your path forward

Just some ideas. There are many other ways too.

StayDead

Have conveyers bringing in a spring from far away so it takes a while then have the exit high up so you need to use it?

Dreavus

- Boss is in a clown car, and flying is required to proceed forward

- P-switch is buried in the floor, and Mario 3 Bowser needs to stomp through the bricks to hit it

- Bowser is enclosed in a tiny room with only a small hole for access, not enough to slip past him, and the player is required to grab shells shot from a bill shooter and throw them inside to kill him, after which you can proceed through the hole

- Boss is simply a survival challenge, a bill shooter in an alcove keeps shooting bob-ombs to destroy columns of bricks from the top down, and you can't proceed until they blow up bricks blocking your path forward

Just some ideas. There are many other ways too.

Have conveyers bringing in a spring from far away so it takes a while then have the exit high up so you need to use it?

All good ideas, thanks! Actually, doing it several different ways in the same level would be fun too, even if they're all just ways to slow the player down a bit, lol.

clav

I've lost motivation to make well designed levels because most people playing this game are probably little kids who die once then give up. I've seen power-up heaven levels with 20+ stars. What the hell.

That's what annoys me, too.

I guess to make a good level you just spam everything, which would be frowned here and to most Mario veterans.

I play their levels since they try mine one or two times, and they barely put any effort in theirs, which usually range from "Watch my amiibo collection" to "Run through a spam enemy fest with a billion stars."

Hasney

I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS AN ASHLEY COSTUME. So I had to make another level.

Hocus Pocus - SMB1 Haunted House. Difficulty a bit higher than the last couple, but nothing major still. That's not mah game.

ACE8-0000-0042-7F71

WVW69iZKffEBwMufD7

My other stuff is below. Don't think I've had any feedback yet so if anyone has any, it would be awesome.

Hasney said:
Done another one, Goomba Traitor which is a classic SMB1 early castle (probably say World 2 or 3 castle difficulty) with a slight twist!

E985-0000-0041-A0FD

WVW69iZIlWYQoA7qcl

Hasney said:
A Very Mario 3 Time

8D6A-0000-0040-D034

Feels like a nice 1-1 for Mario. No need for pace or jumps, but there's a couple of places for an advanced user to get to.

WVW69iZGI3wmXidYsG

Decided to do quite a traditional level, so a couple of tricky jumps but nothing insane!

Bowser Lurks Below!

FFDF-0000-003D-AA92

WVW69iY-licC8zbtpD

Any feedback welcome, know the fire flower near the end of the main path is kinda pointless, thought I had more space

Re put up the Mario World level Castle or Airship now I have coins. It's hard, but as a warning, castle path is easier :)

2DDE-0000-0032-2AA4

Ugh, I don't think I'll be doing a level like this again. I'm very happy with the results, but this was so much more work than a "normal" level. And what's the special thing? Well...

Presenting my ninth:
Boo's Inverted Haunt
WVW69iZJ2h0x-4PWuq

DBF8-0000-0042-2E51
Description: A ghost house level with a gimmick. When you enter a Warp Pipe, the level spins 180 degrees. To go right, you must go left. Stand on top on one platform, then walk across the bottom of it shortly after. And finally make your way past spinning saws and moving platforms.
Secrets: Three 1-up Mushrooms. All hidden in the exact same manner.​

This one took a lot of time to do. Mapping out an exact copy of the main world in the sub world is time consuming, especially when it's flipped 180. Not to mention route planning since some parts of the map has to work both ways up. Pencil and paper was required. I really hope you guys like it, I doubt I'll do another one this crazy any time soon....
But it was worth it, I'm impressed you pulled it off, I'm sure I'd go mad trying to lay out the logistics of it if I dared to tackle such an idea myself.

PSqueak

Banned
Oh for crying out loud! The level I uploaded last night only had 3 people try it, with only an average of 2 attempts per player with no wins. There is nothing unfair in this stage that should make people give up that quickly. Please give my level a go guys.

0E3C-0000-003F-227D

Finally got to play this, one of my fave levels so far, the underground section was my fave.

correojon

I made a Metroid like level, there are few enemy encounters or platforming, almost everything is based on puzzles:
Matroid:
t97gJEF.jpg

ID: 1FFE-0000-0041-91A0
Tip: Your goal is to find the objects and power-ups to solve every blockade, you don't have to pull off any crazy stunts.

Who will be the first to find the exit?

Any feedback will be appreciated :)

Hasney

^ your picture isn't working

I'll play some more peoples courses later. My gamepad needs to charge....

I even have the extended bloody battery

My other stuff is below. Don't think I've had any feedback yet so if anyone has any, it would be awesome.

I just ran through all your stages, I can tell that you improved on your designs the more you made, I mean sure that's kind of a given but it's worth noting.
Also someone likes their sublevels!

Gave a star to the Goomba and SMB3 stages, they were nice simple stages that flowed well, for the people lamenting stages that are too tricky or just wanting to play something more normal give Hasney's stuff a go.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I made a Metroid like level, there are few enemy encounters or platforming, almost everything is based on puzzles:
Matroid:
t97gJEF

Tip: Your goal is to find the objects and power-ups to solve every blockade, you don't have to pull off any crazy stunts.

Who will be the first to find the exit?

Any feedback will be appreciated :)

Will try soon. I have very similar level called Mariotroid (haha!), so give this a try as well (BF68-0000-003D-3DA2).

Also your image doesn't show.

Edit: Your image also doesn't have the code.

Edit2: fixed now. :)

Top Bottom