• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

This is very good advice, and anybody interested in making quality mario levels should read this. Obviously you don't have to follow these rules completely. If you really believe something you're doing is good for your level, even if it conflicts with these rules, do it.

Oh yeah, definitely. I don't mean to be like "DO THIS OR YOUR LEVEL IS TERRIBLE." There's room for all kinds of levels, but I was hoping I could help out people who believe they are making easy, accessible levels that will earn them lots of stars, and then are frustrated when they learn that they kind of missed the mark.

I hope people keep making well designed hard levels, I really do, it's just that some parts of levels could really benefit from a critical eye. You know, those times you're like, "this level would be awesome if it weren't for this one Spiny at the end of this jumping section!" :)

McNum

Dumb af question time but can you stop enemies from walking off ledges lol
Enemies will behave like they do in the Mario games. A green Koopa will just walk forward, but a red one will turn around at the edge, for instance. You can place blocks to force enemies to turn around, of course.

Red Koopas and Wigglers will turn around. Everyone else I think needs something to block their path.

Enemies will behave like they do in the Mario games. A green Koopa will just walk forward, but a red one will turn around at the edge, for instance. You can place blocks to force enemies to turn around, of course.

Thanks, it's crazy, it's just stuff I've never thought about or noticed.

OmegaDL50

I revised the very first level I made and made a final version. Even crafted a story to go along with it.

~Wario heard rumors of an deep underground cavern. This cavern was said to be filled with the remains of lost kingdom's ancient gold treasure. "Wahaha! That treasure will be mine!" Wario said as he went to the cave himself.~

WVW69iZKN68Ch7V4O3

Subterranean Complex(Revised)

434D-0000-0042-5E2F

Please comment or critique it. Always looking for advice to improve my level creation. Give it a try, thanks!

Pineconn

I thought my brother made a great course:

BA67-0000-0032-ADB7

It's cerebrally difficult. Kudos to those who can figure it out. It isn't chaotic... but, well, cerebral.

Dumb af question time but can you stop enemies from walking off ledges lol

You can "trap" enemies that walk off ledges with red koopas or dry bones!

Like the pattern red koopa -> goomba -> goomba -> red koopa.

They will walk back and forth forever on your platform, bumping into each other, never falling.

kinggroin

Banned

Readjusted some parts. Its now got a much more sinister feel to it!

Visit this long abandoned city found in the darkest areas of the mushroom kingdom! Don't worry, you're not alone... MWUAHAHA!!! *COUGH*

Edit: reposting. Had a buddy try the level and rage quit becomes the thwomp section was infuriating. I need to make sure I'm not making the section overly difficult or he's just being a pussy.

Thanks GAF.

When I'm home this evening, I'll go through my usual run of playing some levels in here and giving my feedback.

McNum

You can "trap" enemies that walk off ledges with red koopas or dry bones!

Like the pattern red koopa -> goomba -> goomba -> red koopa.

They will walk back and forth forever on your platform, bumping into each other, never falling.
Oh, I'll have to remember that one. Plus, it gives you ammunition to take out all the enemies since each bookend is a Koopa. Neat.

By the way, you're likely the right one to ask, but do the music blocks make different sounds depending on what hits them? I noticed your music levels seem to use different "instruments" as it were.

Gsnap

Oh yeah, definitely. I don't mean to be like "DO THIS OR YOUR LEVEL IS TERRIBLE." There's room for all kinds of levels, but I was hoping I could help out people who believe they are making easy, accessible levels that will earn them lots of stars, and then are frustrated when they learn that they kind of missed the mark.

I hope people keep making well designed hard levels, I really do, it's just that some parts of levels could really benefit from a critical eye. You know, those times you're like, "this level would be awesome if it weren't for this one Spiny at the end of this jumping section!" :)

I know. I wasn't trying to imply you were.

And I agree, the critical eye is very important regardless of whether we're making easy levels or hard levels. The way I see it, once you know the rules, you can choose when and where to break the rules. Because the rules are just meant to be a guide, and odds are if you know them, your rule-breaking elements will be fair and logical and lead to a more unique level overall.

The problem is that people are breaking the rules without even knowing what they are first. haha

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Readjusted some parts. Its now got a much more sinister feel to it!

Visit this long abandoned city found in the darkest areas of the mushroom kingdom! Don't worry, you're not alone... MWUAHAHA!!! *COUGH*

Edit: reposting. Had a buddy try the level and rage quit becomes the thwomp section was infuriating. I need to make sure I'm not making the section overly difficult or he's just being a pussy.

Thanks GAF.

When I'm home this evening, I'll go through my usual run of playing some levels in here and giving my feedback.

This is legit. Will try! Thanks!

Jobbs

Banned
Is it possible to use sound effects without having the little bird show up when you trip it? I just want to control the sound effect so it plays when you pass through certain areas, but I don't want the bird graphic to be there.

cyba89

Ugh, I don't think I'll be doing a level like this again. I'm very happy with the results, but this was so much more work than a "normal" level. And what's the special thing? Well...

Presenting my ninth:
Boo's Inverted Haunt
WVW69iZJ2h0x-4PWuq

DBF8-0000-0042-2E51
Description: A ghost house level with a gimmick. When you enter a Warp Pipe, the level spins 180 degrees. To go right, you must go left. Stand on top on one platform, then walk across the bottom of it shortly after. And finally make your way past spinning saws and moving platforms.
Secrets: Three 1-up Mushrooms. All hidden in the exact same manner.​

This is an amazing idea and even better execution. One of the best stages in SMM I've played so far. Seems like so much work to get a good level design that works here.

1) No. There just aren't many ways to find the good stuff.
2) Yes, it says in the manual that they get removed after some time if they don't receive enough stars.
3) Yes.
4) Clear times aren't saved at all, just whether or not you played and cleared a course.
Thanks

Stupid questions:

I do not see a place to put in the ID for the courses you guys are linking... where do I go to play these creations?

Also should I skip the time on my Wii U, does that unlock everything or will I still have to play with the elements to get all the options? What I am really getting at is I want to make pretty much only SMB3 levels and I can't yet... I want to get to that stage as fast as possible.

El Daniel

Refined my last Bowser level. It's was kinda unfair due to Bowser's annoying fireballs across the level that were supposed to be limited to the ending.

Now I removed that and changed some other things. It's still pretty hard but in a good, challenging way. There's a big shortcut in the beginning if you can find it which you can skip the first half of the level with and in the second half there are multiple ways to the ending but you have to find it first. Good luck.

CfD6S9S.jpg

McNum

Stupid questions:

I do not see a place to put in the ID for the courses you guys are linking... where do I go to play these creations?

Also should I skip the time on my Wii U, does that unlock everything or will I still have to play with the elements to get all the options? What I am really getting at is I want to make pretty much only SMB3 levels and I can't yet... I want to get to that stage as fast as possible.
In Course World, there's a small magnifying glass in the top right. Tap that and enter the codes.

To unlock stuff, clear out the !s on the new items, then spam blocks. You can use the multi-select (L/R on the gamepad) to mark a big area of blocks and then use the copy (zL/zR) tool to multiply it. Repeat until you hear a truck arriving, then do it over again with the new !s and creating more blocks.

By the way, you're likely the right one to ask, but do the music blocks make different sounds depending on what hits them? I noticed your music levels seem to use different "instruments" as it were.

Yeah, I posted about this way back when I made my first level, I tried everything out that I could think of. If it's not listed it probably doesn't trigger note blocks:

Mario - steel drum
mushroom - square wave (NES style)
spring platform - cymbal
goomba - piano
green koopa troopa - xylophone
red koopa troopa - xylophone with more reverb
piranha plant - pizzicato string
fire piranha plant - low string (sustained note)
mystery mushroom - pipe organ
spiny - brass horn
fire flower - piccolo
star - music box
1up - low vibraphone
bullet bill shooter - kettle drum
hammer brother - electric guitar (sustained note)
big hammer brother - slap bass
buzzy beetle - low bell
thwomp - melodic drum
Bowser - low electric guitar
Bowser Jr. - saxophone
monty mole - asian string
bob-omb - orchestra hit
POW block - basic drum
cannon - another melodic drum
spike beetle - harpsichord
dry bones - flute (sustained note)
magikoopa - synth lead
P-switch - another drum
muncher - electric piano
wiggler - bell
shoe goomba - accordion
Yoshi egg - wood block
Yoshi - synth brass
clown car - rich synth
chain chomp peg - high wood block
chain chomp - electric vibraphone

I might not be quite right on some of these instrument descriptions but that's what they sound like to my ear.

It's a shame that some of these instruments would be nigh unusable in a music playing level since they behave oddly. The most functional ones are the ones I like to use in my levels, stuff that sits still like munchers and fire flowers. The clown car sounds really nice but I think it'd be too bulky and floaty to use. Likewise, Bowser Jr.'s sax which you could only ever play 3 notes on. Chain chomp peg too, because it also comes with the chain chomp that plays it's vibraphone along with it.

Hasney

How many of those do I have? I thought it was just one near the start. But good to know! Thanks for playing!

And did you find the secrets??

Ha, think it was just the one, but I seem to always get crushed by them in everyones level!

I found the
low down pipe over the black plants you have to bounce over the dry bones on. Nice little sub level.

jholmes

Thanks for the input friend. We'll have to disagree about what levels in this series are meant to be, but can certainly understand your distaste for the more linear reaction based stuff. This one is part of a world of levels each testing various aspects of a gamers skill by using Mario mechanics (with two levels being very interactive), so it does seem extra shallow out of context.

Still, you've given me the challenge of using the thwomp p switch mechanic in a more open level. Should be fun!

If you do, I'll be sure to play it. You've got a ton of good ideas in that level.

jariw

Have the levels by Playtonic (the developers of Yooka-Laylee) been published in the SMM community? Those levels seemed to be really good when they showed them on the Nintendo UK Twitch.

In Course World, there's a small magnifying glass in the top right. Tap that and enter the codes.

To unlock stuff, clear out the !s on the new items, then spam blocks. You can use the multi-select (L/R on the gamepad) to mark a big area of blocks and then use the copy (zL/zR) tool to multiply it. Repeat until you hear a truck arriving, then do it over again with the new !s and creating more blocks.

So what about the styles and backgrounds? Does the truck bring me my SMB3 goodness?

Thanks for the info btw.

OmegaDL50

I'm always disappointed people continue to use the NSMBU theme. Personally, I prefer SMB or SMB3. The best 2D Mario aesthetic, especially with the added new music and items/enemies.

Well there isn't much choice if one creates a level that emphasizes on wall jumping.

webrunner

we need a one-place document that lists all the wierd possibly-not-known effects of different monsters/traps and different abilities and stuff

Like grinders: landing on a grinder with the boot bounces you off at a wierd angle. Hitting a grinder makes you fall through it during invincibility frames, unlike munchers which are solid.

there's way more to a given thing in this game other than "does this damage mario" and there's so many unique interactions

Kiro

Ha, think it was just the one, but I seem to always get crushed by them in everyones level!

I found the
low down pipe over the black plants you have to bounce over the dry bones on. Nice little sub level.

Ah, glad you found that one! I was worried that one would be undiscoverable. The other one is easier to find I thought. Interesting, interesting.

clav

Thanks. What does setting your Wii U's clock ahead do for you then?

The old method of unlocking things faster.

I never did it.

I just played around with the editor until I got a truck notification about an incoming delivery for new palettes on a date. That's when I would save the level I was working on, and then go to the top of the screen and draw lines of blocks while panning the joystick left and right usually 4-5 times across from start to goal and goal to start.

A car braking screeching sound will freeze the screen after drawing 1000 blocks and lifting the stylus away. A notification will pop up stating about an early delivery. New assets appear.

MrBadger

I'm always disappointed people continue to use the NSMBU theme. Personally, I prefer SMB or SMB3. The best 2D Mario aesthetic, especially with the added new music and items/enemies.

I use it for when I need a Bowser that shoots flames in more than one direction. I agree that it looks crap though. It kinda looks like all the assets have been pre-rendered and I think it looks worse than the actual game.

DeathPeak

I hope there's an update that adds tags, so you can tag what style of level you made. Then they can add an option to filter down to the kind of level you want.

correojon

Ugh, I don't think I'll be doing a level like this again. I'm very happy with the results, but this was so much more work than a "normal" level. And what's the special thing? Well...

Presenting my ninth:
Boo's Inverted Haunt
WVW69iZJ2h0x-4PWuq

DBF8-0000-0042-2E51
Description: A ghost house level with a gimmick. When you enter a Warp Pipe, the level spins 180 degrees. To go right, you must go left. Stand on top on one platform, then walk across the bottom of it shortly after. And finally make your way past spinning saws and moving platforms.
Secrets: Three 1-up Mushrooms. All hidden in the exact same manner.​

This one took a lot of time to do. Mapping out an exact copy of the main world in the sub world is time consuming, especially when it's flipped 180. Not to mention route planning since some parts of the map has to work both ways up. Pencil and paper was required. I really hope you guys like it, I doubt I'll do another one this crazy any time soon...

But... "Ninth"? Where'd eight go? Well, I wasn't too happy with it, but since it's getting a surprising amount of stars, I think I'll share it anyway.

The missing eighth:
Who's the girl next door?
WVW69iY3IKYanyyaKa

C3C4-0000-003A-9B13
Description: I unlocked Ashley. I made with level with Ashley, with multiple choice routes where picking wrong sends you back to the start of the level. Very basic Ghost House stuff.
Secrets: Three 1-up Mushrooms.​

I think this level is why I went crazy with the other Ghost House. I wanted to do another one since I wasn't all that happy with this one. It does show off all of Ashley's animations, though.

I really need a Mario Maker break after these two... Boo's Inverted Haunt was a difficult course to get right. And I hit the block limit. In fact, this course is exactly on the block limit. Twice! This is easily my biggest level yet.

I just played the Haunt House, what an awesome level! It had everything: nice pacing, varying platforming, making you think where to go next...Also, few different elements used, but combined in many ways ramping up complexity as the level advanced. It really felt like it had been taken out of SMW, big congrats to you, what an inspiring work :)

kinggroin

Banned
Everyone creates Super Meat Boy levels though.

If I want to play Super Meat Boy, I'll play it.

I don't want Super Meat Boy in a Mario game.

But this isn't a Mario game.

It's the Mario tools given to gamers as a foundation for creating a vast range of levels that sport different mechanics. The beauty of the engine is that we don't HAVE to make traditional Mario levels.

For better or worse, I'm glad no one is boxed into any one style. By that token, you can find something worth playing no matter your preference!

It's the Mario tools given to gamers as a foundation for creating a vast range of levels that sport different mechanics. The beauty of the engine is that we don't HAVE to make traditional Mario levels.

For better or worse, I'm glad no one is boxed into any one style. By that token, you can find something worth playing no matter your preference!

Some of my favorite levels were non traditional Mario levels.

Hasney

True, but it's a lot harder to find what you want. That's why I think levels should be able to be tagged by the creator to start with, then other users can tag like Traditional, Extreme, Don't press anything and levels like that.

Probably still be abused, but at least it would have a base.

I thought my brother made a great course:

BA67-0000-0032-ADB7

It's cerebrally difficult. Kudos to those who can figure it out. It isn't chaotic... but, well, cerebral.

Just beat it, though I'm not sure I did it right, seems like I just got lucky at some point.

The sound of the Koopa shell is supposed to be my cue to jump, right? I made it over the spikes using that but it felt kind of random.

Anyway, this is a SMW airship level I made some time ago, somewhat easier than the two previous ones:

16EA-0000-0038-B043

The old method of unlocking things faster.

I never did it.

I just played around with the editor until I got a truck notification about an incoming delivery for new palettes on a date. That's when I would save the level I was working on, and then go to the top of the screen and draw lines of blocks while panning the joystick left and right usually 4-5 times across from start to goal and goal to start.

A car braking screeching sound will freeze the screen after drawing 1000 blocks and lifting the stylus away. A notification will pop up stating about an early delivery. New assets appear.

Will do, sounds like I found my method to SMB3. Thanks again.

Nohar

True, but it's a lot harder to find what you want. That's why I think levels should be able to be tagged by the creator to start with, then other users can tag like Traditional, Extreme, Don't press anything and levels like that.

I agree. It would allow for a better level selection and help the fanbase find what they want to play.

kinggroin

Banned

We definitely need a tag filter of some kind, I agree. Just saying, don't think you can actually define what Mario Maker or platforming should be given this is a paint and canvas genre.

I mean, just because you don't have to make traditional Mario levels doesn't mean the kind of level you want to make will be an automatic fit if it belongs to a game with completely different rules governing a character's maneuverability and how punishing death is.

A lot of people keep making stages where you have to make tricky jumps onto one tile platforms, which is something that works fine in Megaman but kind of sucks in Mario.

clav

I mean, just because you don't have to make traditional Mario levels doesn't mean the kind of level you want to make will be an automatic fit if it belongs to a game with completely different rules governing a character's maneuverability and how punishing death is.

A lot of people keep making stages where you have to make tricky jumps onto one tile platforms, which is something that works fine in Megaman but kind of sucks in Mario.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing people are having fun when playing these stages.

More like people are assholes.

First day with mario maker! Only tried to create small conceptual levels, wondering if sharing them already or make them bigger.

Some great advices in this thread as well as a lot of levels to try out in those 152 pages!

Putting here my first, and hopefully my last, two deceptions with mario maker:

1. There is no way to have not-squared ground and slide on it :( :( :(

2. You can not pass behind the white background as in SMB3... but it's ok :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just uploaded a new course. Pretty simple stage about avoiding mushrooms while climbing a vine that's on a track. No death in this one! Except maybe the timer if you fail enough I guess. I'm not sure what I make of this one myself. Could have been better. I think I might have uploaded too early. But let me know what you think anyway.

Climb Away from Mushrooms - 00C4-0000-0042-965E

Top Bottom