• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

So, after three levels I finally finished my fourth one, took me a couple of days. I'm pretty proud of Fortress of Fear.

It's in Super Mario Bros.-style and I think it could fit right in a Mario-game. It's pretty hard, I can't lie, but experts won't have too much trouble I think.

I would LOVE to hear what you think about it!!

The code is: 7EFD-0000-0047-BD4E

ZlMv0Eh.jpg

Hasney

Gonna get back on this over the weekend. Now I've got 20 slots, I feel obligated to do something with them. But first, PES....

Damn holiday rush of games.

tariniel

I think we're all forgetting something very important that was not included in this game. Wouldn't it be perfect if we could have this baseball throwing, football chucking, mario tackling, spin-block-smashing sports-playing-man?

Mario_charginChuck.gif

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think we're all forgetting something very important that was not included in this game. Wouldn't it be perfect if we could have this baseball throwing, football chucking, mario tackling, spin-block-smashing sumbitch?

Mario_charginChuck.gif

Truth be told, I think a lot of enemies were decided upon based on whether or not they had a NSMBU model since that I feel would be the hardest to create.

Putosaure

Jumps that matter
F6FC-0000-0047-8D0A

This is my first level.

I spent some time to create different paths. Tricky jumps, coins, and blocks. Will you find the way to reach the top ?

Any feedback appreciated.

LocalE

Played them all and left feedback in bold. Had some fun with the first two!

Thanks!
I'm just getting a chance to come back in here and find some more levels to play. I really appreciate the feedback and I'm glad that you had some fun with those two.

I'm getting some ideas about how to refine the one you didn't like to make it more what I was originally going for - and hopefully it'll actually be fun.

I gave this one one a whirl, it was good but It did have some annoying quirks
There's way to many spikes, most don't seem to serve a purpose a pit couldn't and they look seriously ugly in such bulk numbers
The first propeller jump is way to oharsh, I repeated hit the spike before using it and then had to awkwardly I-frame my way through.
The flying koopa on the blue skulls serves no purpose as far as I could tell, he's not in the way and bouncing off him only puts you in more danger.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm starting to realize just how differently I approach some of those sections - I think because I created them and need to take into account how others are likely to approach it.
Again, thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna make these courses better!

ohNOitsRO

I'll play these. Please play mine. Here's my 6 from newest to oldest.

Clear The Path For Yoshi - 3B08-0000-0046-0FE6

Climb Away From Mushrooms - 93F4-0000-0043-2E6D

Get Those P Switches! - 0E3C-0000-003F-227D

Cape Fun - 863C-0000-0038-4E54

Flying Spring 2 - 3681-0000-002F-ECEB

flying spring - EA5C-0000-0013-CE21

Let me know which ones were your favourite/least favourite.

Hey dude just finished up your levels awesome ideas in each one! With that said I really couldn't enjoy the flying springs ones, but all the other ones felt really satisfying to beat.

Id say my favorite was the P-switch one with the Yoshi one being a close second

The cape one was tough but a sweet idea! Felt good to beat that one hah

Cyd0nia

Banned
wiiu_screenshot_tv_015bogl.jpg

Shelling out for capes

FA95-0000-0047-CBFA

You need a cape to beat this level, and you'll need to kick some shells to get one. Hint:
Clear a path first.

Couple of hidden items to find, and a string of fireworks.

Sölf

Alright Mario Maker GAF. A friend of mine together with Nintendo started a small Mario Maker Contest. He asked me to post the video here, since he doesn't have an account:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Sgnc78w18

►How you can win?
1.) Write a comment and mention 3 amiibo you want to win.
2.) Create a level in Super Mario Maker and send me the ID.
Of course you can write a comment and create a level. So you have double chance to win!

►Attention! If you want to win you have to be a subscribear.

►What you can win?
1.) For writing a comment you get the chance to win a amiibo.
2.) If you win the Super Mario Maker contest you will get 2 amiibo or a Wii U game (choose Bayonetta 2, The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker HD or Captain Toad Treasure Tracker).
Attention! Nintendo has only PAL-games. If you live outside the PAL region you only can win 2 amiibo.

►Is there a contest topic?
Yes! The topic is "skyline". Create a level with the skyline of a famous city. Also it can be a fictitous city or one out of the Nintendo universe. There are no other restrictions.

►I created a level, what now?
Upload the level in Super Mario Maker. "BeardBear_YT" has to be a part of the course title.
After uploading send me the level ID by a private message or e-mail (beardbear@hotmail.com).

►Can I submit more than one level?
No. But you can change your level everytime, just send me a new ID.

►Deadline?
You have time until Sep. 27, 23:59 PM (GMT +0100) to send me a level or write a comment.

►Should I try to copy other levels?
What do you think? ;)
Be fair, please. I will upload a Top 10 video so all the viewers can give me a hint if something is wrong.

I hope you will enjoy the contest. Share it with your friends and maybe the next will come soon!
Happy making! :)

Since we have several creative heads in here, I thought you guys might be interested. I have already finished a level, but haven't uploaded it yet.

Edit:
I know we already have a contest of our own, but eh, why not a second one? xD

Made a new level!

Monday Traffic
9124-0000-0047-B897
WVW69iZXWbgopCGchS

It's a short level with 100 time limit so you gotta move fast in your Clown Car and avoid the traffic!. Inspired in those crazy Monday mornings when you're late to work/school and you gotta wake up, get ready and drive trough the crazyness of the city hah.

Edit: Holy shit bottom of the page... that's what I call bad luck. Now nobody will play this :'(

I played it!!! Haha.

I really liked the beginning. Tbh that was the part I most enjoyed. Once you get in the clown car it kind of loses all challenge. 100s time limit was good. As a side note the star jumped in the clown car, flew up to where I was platforming and knocked me all the way down. Dunno if that was purpose but maybe keep in mind.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I appreciate the NSMB style when the mid-air spin and wall jump can be used to help bail you out of a poor jump. I do NOT like when the game is designed that you need the air spin to make a long jump, or has wall jump shenanigans. When a stage is any other Mario stage but you have these extra tools to help you then NSMB is a great style. This is rarer then it should be though.

I tend to have the exact opposite opinion. I don't think there's a point in using the NSMB style unless the stage is built around NSMB's unique abilities and traits.

That's why, when designing stages, I tend to stick with the simplest game style (SMB1) unless the player needs more tools to clear the obstacles, or the whole "feel" of the stage is somehow off and would be better-suited to another style.

I'm not so familiar with NSMBU, do you know if any enemies from it are missing?

The squirrels are the most obvious one to come to mind, since they're new to that game and used throughout it. There are some other omissions like Fire Bros that had counterparts in the older games, too.

Dreavus

I love the SMW tileset. It's making me want all the other backgrounds + music that are missing from the original games (there are quite a few actually).

The potential for DLC packs in this game is ridiculously high.

jnWake

I'm working on a new level but I wanted to post my latest one again since I feel it's good.

Name: Under the Thwomp.
ID: 7D5F-0000-003F-B84F.
Thwomps are falling from the sky! Luckily, you can protect yourself staying below moving platforms. Also, if you're having trouble, the following screenshot will give you a nice tip (spoilered if you want to try for yourself first):

Any feedback is truly appreciated!

Crisium

Edit: Holy shit bottom of the page... that's what I call bad luck. Now nobody will play this :'(

I lucked out with my last one on the very top of the page... but no GAF played it (at least within a few hours of that, 0 plays, although I know at least mighty Clark has played it now). We collectively are an odd bunch. I'll play your level right now.

edit: Good stuff, although I would have made the time a little stricter to make you want to rush to work even more. ;)

Svafnir

Launching a level database in the next hour or so. Wondering if I could get some last minute feedback for ideas..

Currently you can:

Submit levels by Miiverse link (auto generates level page) or manually if you want a custom image or just don't know the Miiverse link. Can obviously add a description and tag your level with either method.

There is a profile auto generated for each miiverse profile, so you can share a list of all your levels with the tags and description easily.

Also plan on having a "World" section, aka playlists. Just add the level ID and you can make a playlist to share anywhere with all the levels in that playlist.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Launching a level database in the next hour or so. Wondering if I could get some last minute feedback for ideas..

Currently you can:

Submit levels by Miiverse link (auto generates level page) or manually if you want a custom image or just don't know the Miiverse link. Can obviously add a description and tag your level with either method.

There is a profile auto generated for each miiverse profile, so you can share a list of all your levels with the tags and description easily.

Also plan on having a "World" section, aka playlists. Just add the level ID and you can make a playlist to share anywhere with all the levels in that playlist.

how about a Random Level button?

Zero148

I polished some of my levels today. The main work went into making the difficulty right and also some visual enhancements.

The first is "A Day at the Zoo". Mario visits the mushroom kingdom zoo on a peaceful day, but Bowser and his Son have other plans...

Here I got rid of a Lakitu to make it a little bit fairer (most of my deaths during my playthroughs were his fault). I also made the enemy selection a little bit more fitting in the Mario lore.

WVW69iZXdAA6Bys_TG

DABB-0000-0047-C3D5

The second one is called "The long Jump". Mario faces a really wide gap right in front of him, and he must overcome it to progress on his adventure.

I adjusted the difficulty of the level through removing the bottomless pit for the first jumps. I also made one gap in the level a little smaller.

WVW69iZXbRgNg63sRC

08B4-0000-0047-C103

The third one has the name "Bowser Jr.'s Bullet Chaos". Mario is trapped in a castle from Bowser Jr. and sees no other way to escape than fight!

I adjusted the difficulty of the boss fight a little bit. Also added arrows to make more clear what the player is suposed to do.

WVW69iZXViEzBXV-Nm

EA07-0000-0047-B70C

The last one I reuploaded and want to show you is the "House od Skulls". Mario finds himself in a haunted house that not only confronts him with ghosts, but also with many sceleton enemies, Wait, what are these skulls laughing about?

I made an adjustment to the level's endgame. Other adjustments were some enemy placements, adjustments to the climing sections and a visual facelifting, I also added some sound effects.

WVW69iZXQyE4yaf3cd

C882-0000-0047-AEAF

I would really appreciate if you try (some of) my levels and give it a star if you like it (or comment on Miiverse) or give feedback here. Help a fellow Gaffer to break through the magical 50 stars!

Jucksalbe

Banned
After I saw that one of my earlier courses ("Sightseeing at Bowser's Castle") only had a clear ratio of 0.89%, I decided to revise it a little.
So here's the new version, I'd appreciate feedback, especially about the difficulty:

l8HemKx.jpg

Sightseeing at Bowser's Castle
3574-0000-0047-E286

(yeah, it's still called the same, simply because "v2" wouldn't fit anymore)

My other courses:
Mariotroid v2 (BF68-0000-003D-3DA2)
Joy of Spring (C659-0000-0031-016C)
Mushroom Split (19D9-0000-001F-7162)
Clouds and Thorns (632E-0000-0016-E29D)
Hello World (#xa5742) (BD1C-0000-0017-2DF5)

Cyd0nia

Banned
The mini Gauntlet
WVW69iZTI3IS3ouMzn

746A-0000-0046-09D7

Clear rate:3.19%

Only 3 people have played. 100 lives lost

Just beat it.. those blades at the beginning are a little too tightly spaced. It's too easy to fail the initial jump, but other than that excellent.. I even got the three 1-ups!

Sölf

Currently you can:

For Category maybe something like "Puzzle" or "Platformer". And maybe another button for "Autoscroll".

Rebel Leader

Just beat it.. those blades at the beginning are a little too tightly spaced. It's too easy to fail the initial jump, but other than that excellent.. I even got the three 1-ups!

I know.. I wanted it like that..

I didn't name it the gauntlet for nothing

just recieved the game today... 170 pages.... that's too much, fortunately there's some level in the OP! Can someone recommend me other levels? Here or by MP! that would be really nice!

i tried a bunch that i found myself on the game itself but most of them were pretty boring, the only one i really liked was super meat bros!

Also, an other question! How can i see my movement just before i died, in the creator? Every video i saw about the game, when you're creating something and trying it out, when you die, you go back in the creator, with the last move that mario made traced on the screen... but i don't have that at all, is it unlocked with the other elements?

The mini Gauntlet
WVW69iZTI3IS3ouMzn

746A-0000-0046-09D7

Clear rate:3.19%

Only 3 people have played. 100 lives lost

I tried. Blades at the beginning just made me say nope though. I could understamd that being a mid or even end level challenge but right at the beginning is too much for how precise it needs to be

I may try again but if the rest of the level has that tough timing I don't imagine gettong through it.

Edit. Went back and beat it. The saws at the beginning are the hardest part. The hammer bro you can see is also harsh. I starred it but I do think it needs some tweeking.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Also, an other question! How can i see my movement just before i died, in the creator? Every video i saw about the game, when you're creating something and trying it out, when you die, you go back in the creator, with the last move that mario made traced on the screen... but i don't have that at all, is it unlocked with the other elements?

You have to unlock this first.

jnWake

Some "live" commentary of a few GAF levels:

Jumps that matter
F6FC-0000-0047-8D0A

This is my first level.

I spent some time to create different paths. Tricky jumps, coins, and blocks. Will you find the way to reach the top ?

Any feedback appreciated.

That hidden pipe near the beggining is so hard to reach haha, but I nailed the jump (on my second try of course). Running through small gaps is always so cool. I wonder how much people that are unaware of that suffer in those type of sections. I like the hidden paths you added for people that managed to find the first hidden pipe. Fun level!

PinkRemoteAsianpiedstarling.gif

ID5: Independence Dave DF8D-0000-0047-8487

The harrowing fifth installment of this season's sensation, Spiky Dave, is now live on Mario Maker. In a dramatic turn of events, Mario and Dave set aside their petty differences and join forces to defeat the alien menace, restore peace, and unite the world under one banner.

In Dave 5, we don't fight to end tyranny or oppression or persecution, but to avoid annihilation. We fight for our right to survive, to exist. So, this Fall, declare you won't go quietly into the night. Let this be your Independence Dave.

Can't miss the sequel after playing Dave 4! You really like branching paths don't you? And again that shout cracks me up. Best FX by far. Holy crap there are so many stars in that room haha. My last run to the ending was GIF worthy I tell you. I think I missed something because I cleared this one super quickly, but it was still pretty fun. Those aliens had no chance against me.

Made a new level!

Monday Traffic
9124-0000-0047-B897
WVW69iZXWbgopCGchS

It's a short level with 100 time limit so you gotta move fast in your Clown Car and avoid the traffic!. Inspired in those crazy Monday mornings when you're late to work/school and you gotta wake up, get ready and drive trough the crazyness of the city hah.

Your edit made me play the stage! Bottom of the page is the worst curse. Ah, Parabeetles... I hate that enemy since the hitbox is weird... First part is challenging, I mean, reaching the top of the pipes. I suck at controlling the Clown Car but I cleared that section on my first try. The star is too OP I believe haha since it's a very long section. Fun though!

Rebel Leader

I tried. Blades at the beginning just made me say nope though. I could understamd that being a mid or even end level challenge but right at the beginning is too much for how precise it needs to be

I may try again but if the rest of the level has that tough timing I don't imagine gettong through it.

I'm still fiddling about

Will keep in mind for the Main gauntlet >:)

Though, I wished this game had checkpoints

Jobbs

Banned
Can't miss the sequel after playing Dave 4! You really like branching paths don't you? And again that shout cracks me up. Best FX by far. Holy crap there are so many stars in that room haha. My last run to the ending was GIF worthy I tell you. I think I missed something because I cleared this one super quickly, but it was still pretty fun. Those aliens had no chance against me.

Thank you for playing it. This is Dave's homeland and the stars are his peoples' sacred resource. There's a lot of lore here.

Here is a set of levels I made as a world pack. I suggest downloading all 4 and arranging them like this and playing them with the play button in Coursebot. They're all old-school style levels made to look like something out of SMB.

smm_0wjuq78.png

smm_01axo30.png

smm_02l3qqd.png

smm_03vsrml.png

smm_04dyoho.png

Second level has arrived, it's Koopas chain.

3F03 0000 0047 DBA6

It's a stage you can finish without touching ground.

WVW69iZXrfwjZeT9kw

Ha, I had a level based around a similar concept (although in mine the floor wasn't optional, it's 56D5-0000-0034-56CF in case anyone cares)

I gave this quite a few goes and there's some good stuff in there, but it's way too frustrating.

Too many jumps require really presice timing and it's often hard to tell what that timing is until you've already jumped, the koopas on tracks are a big offender of this. The tracks needed to be eighter smaller and closer so the player can see all of it at once, or it needs more koopas so it doesn't matter when you jump if you aim it right.

Also I hate it when fireballs shoot up beneath you when your on a platform, I don't know it's that's inherintly bad, but getting a surprise death when I'm trying to judge a jump was the straw that broke the camels back

Having said that, if you dail it back it looks like a pretty decent level all things considered.

MrBadger

Truth be told, I think a lot of enemies were decided upon based on whether or not they had a NSMBU model since that I feel would be the hardest to create.

That seems to be the case.

To be fair though, this is a full retail release so the creation of new assets shouldn't be off the table. That or he could always turn into something else if you change the theme like the power ups and Yoshi do. Like, he could turn into an angry sun for 3 or one of those punchy ghosts from the NSMB series. These guys -

latest

Super Mario World levels without Chuck just feel so lacking. He's at the end of most levels in the original game so I always feel obliged to put a hammer bro or a bowser jr at the end of all my world levels

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
After I saw that one of my earlier courses ("Sightseeing at Bowser's Castle") only had a clear ratio of 0.89%, I decided to revise it a little.
So here's the new version, I'd appreciate feedback, especially about the difficulty:

l8HemKx.jpg

Sightseeing at Bowser's Castle
3574-0000-0047-E286

(yeah, it's still called the same, simply because "v2" wouldn't fit anymore)

My other courses:
Mariotroid v2 (BF68-0000-003D-3DA2)
Joy of Spring (C659-0000-0031-016C)
Mushroom Split (19D9-0000-001F-7162)
Clouds and Thorns (632E-0000-0016-E29D)
Hello World (#xa5742) (BD1C-0000-0017-2DF5)

Boo. I was part of that 0.89%

Peltz

Boy, level design isn't easy. I spent about 6 hours on this course. It's a tribute to Nintendo EAD. I hope you guys play and enjoy it. Please give me some constructive feedback so that I may get better at level design.

WVW69iZYH1IkwPXsJq

ghibli99

Just picked this up today, even though the voice inside me told me not to since I probably won't put much time into the actual "maker" part of it. Still, GCU man... 20% off plus the $20 in RCs I had accumulated, and it was only $30 w/ tax out the door. Gotta love it.

DaBoss

Uploaded my first course. It's more of an experimental course. Not challenging and tried to make it fun. Hope you guys enjoy it.

tumblr_nuuuk1VNRr1ux7li8o1_540.jpg

ACC9-0000-0048-B62B

Extremely confusing level. The first part seems pointless because you can just skip it with the clown car. After that I couldn't really figure out what I was supposed to do in the doors. Eventually I reached Bowser, blocked off by a giant bullet bill cannon. Tried all different things here but couldn't advance.

I liked your other level though!

Ok, so now you can't skip the flying section and the Bowser battle has more switches to lessen the chance of him not triggering the destruction of the barrier between you both.

You only live once, 2

49D4-0000-0048-136B

If anyone wants to try it, it's not a traditional Mario level but I think it's decent and has some reasonable ideas. Anyway, this is going to be my last version, On to a new concept tomorrow! Keep if up GAF, your levels are great!

Top Bottom