• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

JazzmanZ

Who's up to trying the Gameboy version of MM1's Cutman stage??

(2C9C-0000-0047-8D7C)
sZOSv0c.jpg

King_Moc

Banned
Only had 5 plays of this in 2 days, and it was loads of effort. I need advice on whether what you need to do on that big bit in the middle of the map is too obscure or not.

mygreatcapturescreensp7qsz.png

Sölf

NSMB is by far the best style.

Also I'm utterly shocked at the completion rate for my Yoshi stage. I thought I made it a super simple introduction to the concept but only one out of the four people that played it beat it. I shudder to think what the clear rate of a more complex stage would be.

Nah. SMB 3 all the way, closely followed by SMW.

Schlomo

Thanks for playing. It's amazing how, because you're building a level and have a premise in mind, you assume everyone else will get what you were doing. Obviously not!

The clown car bit is supposed to be Agent Mario flying to Evil Bowsers Volcano base. It's a deliberate flying part. The rest is exploring the base. For the Bowser encounter
Depending on where you are determines where he fires at you. So you need to be up on the platforms so he disintegrates the blocks that hold the P switch. The P switch will then fall. Bowser will then, at some point, jump on the switch. This will cause the barrier to slowly lower. You can then either use a fire flower or take a bomb up to where the star is being held to finish off bowser and see the ending.
. Thanks for playing anyway - I guess this is a case where I need to remember the old adage "Keep it simple, Stupid" :)

What I meant by pointless is that you allow the player to fly off screen and skip all the obstacles. Why not put some blocks or enemies at the very top so the player has to engage everything you have placed below?

I got the P switch on the floor in the boss fight, but even after 2 minutes or so, he never stepped on it.

Dooman

Neo Member
Cool puzzles, but I got stuck after getting the giant shoe. I know I have to get a regular size shoe to advance, but couldn't find any working pipe to get back.

Thanks for playing. At that part when you get the giant shoe go back to where the pipe where the one way block is and do a ground pound with the shoe which you can do with the giant shoe and it will break the blocks to that area.

ohNOitsRO

Alright reposting some of my levels since this thread breezes by so fast! As always, quote me with some levels and I'll happily play them! And if I see you put work into it I'll gladly give you a star unlike some fellow gaffers!

Anyways here are the codes

Castle Siege
ID: CA34-0000-003A-B3C8
This level showed up on stream yesterday and got probably two real tries on it and probably had like 45 seconds worth of attempts and I don't think it's been given the justice it deserves! Yeah it's a little long and not exactly for Mario n00bs, but it's fair the whole way through!

The Path Less Taken
ID: 28CB-0000-003B-0BBC
Ghost Mansion in SMW! Some paths are treacherous meant to put a damper on your mood, while other paths are meant to reward and excite!

Race Against The Machine
ID: 5D18-0000-003B-1DE5
Get the shroom before its all over!

Waluigi's Cloud Spectacle
ID: 6C9A-0000-003B-C305
Not for the faint of heart, but for the Waluigi lovers

Mario-Type
ID: 47E7-0000-003E-A10A
R-Type in Mario!

Gripvine Central
ID: F91D-0000-0043-888D
Remodified vine scroller! Maybe this time around it won't stop people from putting stars because it was a tad hard :) Defibitely scaled down the difficulty

Mushroom Rise
ID: 8071-0000-0043-F087
Simple vertical level! Could easily be placed in a World 1 if not maybe 1-1 itself

Class In Session
ID: 5193-0000-0012-CEEA
My oldest uploaded level with the most stars (5 /cry) and challenging especially towards the end with some tricky goomba jumps

Guys I really wanna upload more levels D: stuck at 34 stars! Help a fellow gaffer out! And as I stated up top, quote me with some levels to play!!

phileep

I somehow haven't been in this thread to check out what surely has lots of great stages. Going to comb through it at some point.

I'd like to share two of my stages.

Bob-omb's Big Blast Barrage
9F78-0000-0040-03B7
This is a bit more puzzle oriented. I tried to make it so there were multiple ways of doing things. Some of the feedback I've gotten is that it could use more power ups and that it's maybe too long. So I'm aware of those. Still, would love to hear additional feedback.

Bowser's Closet
40E6-0000-003A-E7D1
My focus on this one was vines. Only a little bit of feedback on this one but people seem to enjoy it. Have not heard many complaints. Would love to hear more.

For anyone that actually tries these, thanks in advance!

BooJoh

Only had 5 plays of this in 2 days, and it was loads of effort. I need advice on whether what you need to do on that big bit in the middle of the map is too obscure or not.

It seems like you need to
toss a shell so it goes toward the wigglers, then chase it by going up the path with the spike tops and arrows
, but frankly getting that far into the level is so tedious that if you die there the will to start over wanes, especially with the hammer bros earlier in the level.

Kyzon

I just looked at the stage I made.
I think the farthest X is the one run I did on stream XD I'm gonna have to make an easier version sometime soon

Lelcar

WVW69iZXGyUA3u6cnG

1-1: Spiny Plains
(AAB9-0000-0047-9C75)

Yay, made my first Mario level. I tried to build it as a real level and not just a gimmick thing, with multiple paths.

NotLiquid

Got a comment on one of my levels where they wanted me to replace the spike flooring with normal floor, ignoring the gimmick of riding shells in what is an optional sub-area. Lmao.

Incidentally, how does reuploading/updating courses work? Does it give you a new code or treat it as a new level or such?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

King_Moc

Banned
It seems like you need to
toss a shell so it goes toward the wigglers, then chase it by going up the path with the spike tops and arrows
, but frankly getting that far into the level is so tedious that if you die there the will to start over wanes, especially with the hammer bros earlier in the level.

lol, yeah. The hammer brothers shouldn't be an issue with the mushroom though? You can pretty much just jump straight up through them.

I made a new course:

WVW69iZLBJEEMthNxR

Treasure of the 99 Dead Pirates

7274-0000-0042-C6D7

The challenge is to find all 99 coins, but I designed it in a way it should hopefully also be fun if you just try to find the exit. It took me about 5 hours to make and fine-tune this.

Let me know what you think! I'll make sure to give your stages a try as well.

It seems really well designed. I starred it but I found it too hard. For example, At one point, I emerged from a pipe and two ghosts were just sitting above me, so I had no choice but to jump into them. Happened to me on another pipe also. I also found the combination of the ghost circle and vines hard. I will play this again because it could just be me who is unskilled! Personally, if it was a little easier, I would enjoy it more.

phileep

Mario-Type
R-Type in Mario!

Want to try this one for sure. I've been trying to think of how to do a shooter in this game. I started to throw a few ideas around and wasn't really happy with it. I also attempted a Contra-style level (which I uploaded) but it's a bit of a disaster. Any other examples of good shooter style levels?

I don't wanna spend 5 hours course editing today so I am gonna play and critique some gaf levels. If you posted more than 2 I pretty much will pick any 2 so if anyone really wants some shit playtested let me know. Gonna go for an hour or so

Shameless plug about if you wanna help a brother out after you finish your thang try my ish haha.

What I meant by pointless is that you allow the player to fly off screen and skip all the obstacles. Why not put some blocks or enemies at the very top so the player has to engage everything you have placed below?

I got the P switch on the floor in the boss fight, but even after 2 minutes or so, he never stepped on it.

Yes, I did think about the issue with flying off the top of the screen. Maybe a few well place blocks will force people not to do that.

Re: the Bowser fight, I spent ages trying to implement my idea. Very occasionally, I think the P Switch can get stuck right next to the cannon and then it is impossible to do. Back to the drawing board methinks!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Alright reposting some of my levels since this thread breezes by so fast! As always, quote me with some levels and I'll happily play them! And if I see you put work into it I'll gladly give you a star unlike some fellow gaffers!

Anyways here are the codes

Castle Siege
ID: CA34-0000-003A-B3C8
This level showed up on stream yesterday and got probably two real tries on it and probably had like 45 seconds worth of attempts and I don't think it's been given the justice it deserves! Yeah it's a little long and not exactly for Mario n00bs, but it's fair the whole way through!

The Path Less Taken
ID: 28CB-0000-003B-0BBC
Ghost Mansion in SMW! Some paths are treacherous meant to put a damper on your mood, while other paths are meant to reward and excite!

Race Against The Machine
ID: 5D18-0000-003B-1DE5
Get the shroom before its all over!

Waluigi's Cloud Spectacle
ID: 6C9A-0000-003B-C305
Not for the faint of heart, but for the Waluigi lovers

Mario-Type
R-Type in Mario!

Gripvine Central
ID: F91D-0000-0043-888D
Remodified vine scroller! Maybe this time around it won't stop people from putting stars because it was a tad hard :) Defibitely scaled down the difficulty

Mushroom Rise
ID: 8071-0000-0043-F087
Simple vertical level! Could easily be placed in a World 1 if not maybe 1-1 itself

Class In Session
ID: 5193-0000-0012-CEEA
My oldest uploaded level with the most stars (5 /cry) and challenging especially towards the end with some tricky goomba jumps

Guys I really wanna upload more levels D: stuck at 34 stars! Help a fellow gaffer out! And as I stated up top, quote me with some levels to play!!
I'll play these. Please play mine. Here's my 6 from newest to oldest.

Clear The Path For Yoshi - 3B08-0000-0046-0FE6

Climb Away From Mushrooms - 93F4-0000-0043-2E6D

Get Those P Switches! - 0E3C-0000-003F-227D

Cape Fun - 863C-0000-0038-4E54

Flying Spring 2 - 3681-0000-002F-ECEB

flying spring - EA5C-0000-0013-CE21

Let me know which ones were your favourite/least favourite.

aidan

I don't wanna spend 5 hours course editing today so I am gonna play and critique some gaf levels. If you posted more than 2 I pretty much will pick any 2 so if anyone really wants some shit playtested let me know. Gonna go for an hour or so

Shameless plug about if you wanna help a brother out after you finish your thang try my ish haha.

Sure: 266D-0000-0044-90F6

It's a simple level, similar to something you'd find in an early level from SMB or SML. A few secrets, a bit of explorations, etc.

Are your level IDs collected somewhere I could check out? I'll give a few of them a go when I get home from work this evening.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
How does collecting other people's levels that you like work? Is there a hard limit to how many you can keep track of, and do you just have them in a favorites list or does it work differently?

How does collecting other people's levels that you like work? Is there a hard limit to how many you can keep track of, and do you just have them in a favorites list or does it work differently?
There is no limit of starred levels list (as far as I know).
You can also follow people, which IDK if it has a limit. I followed 20 people so far.
The problem is there is no way to search users which is BS.

Schlomo

At the part with the ghosts, I guess you have to stand in the right spot to have a shell smash all the blocks? I couldn't really figure it out and gave up.

ohNOitsRO

Want to try this one for sure. I've been trying to think of how to do a shooter in this game. I started to throw a few ideas around and wasn't really happy with it. I also attempted a Contra-style level (which I uploaded) but it's a bit of a disaster. Any other examples of good shooter style levels?

The only other one I've seen is in the top 50 I believe

And it sucks to multi quote on the iPhone so to the other dude Imma play your levels right now!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ugh I was halfway done doing a rework of my level and vastly improving it. Then my wii u pad died and I was already in bed and the cord was plugged in at my desk... I just went to sleep... time to wrap this up.

rawk

Sure!

6CE8-0000-0046-29D9

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
There is no limit of starred levels list (as far as I know).
You can also follow people, which IDK if it has a limit. I followed 20 people so far.
The problem is there is no way to search users which is BS.
Thanks...so about your list of starred levels, is there a way to filter the list, or is it just a long list that you run through when you want to replay one?

They definitely need to introduce a star ranking system of 1-5 stars.

At the moment, if I leave criticism of a level such as 'Cheap deaths are not fun' and the level is shit, it stars the level. There should be a separation of comments and star rating. I can see now how these automated levels get so many stars. Each time anyone says ANYTHING, such as "Clever but not a game", it gets stars. They should definitely change this, because as things stand, 100k people could say "This level is complete dog shit" and the user would get 100k stars!!

So I searched the thread but did not find an answer and I'm kinda stumped. Exactly how does one leave a course comment at a specific point in a level? Every time I've tried leaving a comment, it's just a general Miiverse comment and I see no option to place a little marker in the level for my comment to show up at.

The message appears at the spot you're standing when you leave it. Pause the game at any time and comment, and that's where it goes.

Model 500

Did you know that you can set the thumbnail image of your level by saving your game at the intended frame in the edit mode? Just found out through trial and error.

I have finally refined my favourite test stage to completion, here's the final level:

Jumpman to the Rescue
C664-0000-0047-837E

76v5yhG.jpg

Any plays, feedback and comments appreciated :)

King_Moc

Banned
At the part with the ghosts, I guess you have to stand in the right spot to have a shell smash all the blocks? I couldn't really figure it out and gave up.

You just throw shells over the music block to the right to break the blocks before the ghosts get to you. Thanks for having a go anyway.

Crisium

I appreciate the NSMB style when the mid-air spin and wall jump can be used to help bail you out of a poor jump. I do NOT like when the game is designed that you need the air spin to make a long jump, or has wall jump shenanigans. When a stage is any other Mario stage but you have these extra tools to help you then NSMB is a great style. This is rarer then it should be though.

I've gone with Mario 3 and SMW only so far. Basically if I think spin jump makes it too easy to get around obstacles (Spike guys or Plants mostly) then I go with Mario 3. If I'm not worried about spin jump I'll go with SMW since the graphics are the most pleasing to me.

Bridges & Boos
46C2-0000-0044-75A0

Sure: 266D-0000-0044-90F6

It's a simple level, similar to something you'd find in an early level from SMB or SML. A few secrets, a bit of explorations, etc.

Are your level IDs collected somewhere I could check out? I'll give a few of them a go when I get home from work this evening.

So I played your level. Very reminicent of a world one world 2 SMB level. I didn't really have any glaring criticism. Getting to the top of where the goobas are when they start coming out full tilt is really tough. I think you accomplished your goal over all though. Its a good early level.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
21 Stars! It's 50 for the next Medal, right?

I gotta get around to playing your guys and giving you some Stars, I've just had no time for it between making my own levels. :X

Schlomo

It seems really well designed. I starred it but I found it too hard. For example, At one point, I emerged from a pipe and two ghosts were just sitting above me, so I had no choice but to jump into them. Happened to me on another pipe also. I also found the combination of the ghost circle and vines hard. I will play this again because it could just be me who is unskilled! Personally, if it was a little easier, I would enjoy it more.

Thanks for the comment! I don't think there's any pipe where that could happen unless you turn left so they can sneak up on you...

The ghost circle vines really seem too hard since there are loads of deaths at that point. It's probably because the climbing mechanic is a bit tricky and people get stressed by the ghosts on top of that.

AdanVC

Made a new level!

Monday Traffic
9124-0000-0047-B897
WVW69iZXWbgopCGchS

It's a short level with 100 time limit so you gotta move fast in your Clown Car and avoid the traffic!. Inspired in those crazy Monday mornings when you're late to work/school and you gotta wake up, get ready and drive trough the crazyness of the city hah.

Edit: Holy shit bottom of the page... that's what I call bad luck. Now nobody will play this :'(

MrBadger

I'll play these. Please play mine. Here's my 6 from newest to oldest.

Clear The Path For Yoshi - 3B08-0000-0046-0FE6

Climb Away From Mushrooms - 93F4-0000-0043-2E6D

Get Those P Switches! - 0E3C-0000-003F-227D

Cape Fun - 863C-0000-0038-4E54

Flying Spring 2 - 3681-0000-002F-ECEB

flying spring - EA5C-0000-0013-CE21

Let me know which ones were your favourite/least favourite.

Just played Climb away from Mushrooms. I liked it, good take on the concept of staying small and avoiding mushrooms. However, I got hit by a mushroom in that one section before the final one and I got stuck there until I was able to crouch-shuffle under the path that I assume was only meant for small Mario

Sure!

6CE8-0000-0046-29D9

Damn I really liked this one. There were a lot of clever secrets to be found. The one at the end was good. Just a kind of "hnm let me check". You did a good job of introducing mechanics so that the player had an idea of what to do and you did the hidden block thing well. Never was I too stumped about where the block would be. The only actual issue I would have with this level is just that there isn't much actual platforming. Not that that is had, it seems you were going more puzzle, but an outside section with a bit more challenge before getting back into the base would have been great. Starred. Really quality man.

Mistle

quoting for when people are awake
Introducing my greatest, most elaborate level yet. It will also give you a great sense of accomplishment, as there is a deep story just waiting to unfold before your very eyes.

The question is, "Can YOU save Crab Mario"?
9FC4-0000-0045-D6FA

Only enter this code if you're sure you're ready.

aidan

Bridges & Boos
46C2-0000-0044-75A0

So I played your level. Very reminicent of a world one world 2 SMB level. I didn't really have any glaring criticism. Getting to the top of where the goobas are when they start coming out full tilt is really tough. I think you accomplished your goal over all though. Its a good early level.

Thanks! I had a lot of fun building the part with the Goombas and the secret area, so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

And, it turns out that Bridges & Boos was already right at the top of my queue of levels to play when I got home! Looking forward to it.

AniHawk

Oh yeah, I played this one yesterday and it was pretty good, I was stumped momentarily until I realised you could spring out of Kuribo's shoe like a sacrificial Yoshi jump.

the level was originally super mario world themed, but the background was so distinct that you could tell when you were back on the ground or in the sky again. the change to smb3 made it make more sense aesthetically. i actually wanted the challenge to come from actual platforming, and the kuribo boot goes against that since they chase you.

Top Bottom